Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Planning To Resign From Current Job - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Planning To Resign From Current Job (14798 Views)

Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Kasdat5(m): 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

Ibadan, close to Ogun state.

Have you thought about the following??
- Animal herders destroying your farm land.
- Getting kidnapped or God forbid maimed going about your business in the farm??
I think that's the major backlog in present day 9ja farming. If its not in a secured township location , abort mission , those herders have vowed never to see crop grown all over 9ja .
It's a million dollar venture anyways .
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by DrDoc: 12:32pm On Dec 26, 2023
emerged01:

Even half a million self will be ok. Do you think it is that expensive to go into agriculture?
Land are idle,even owners are begging people to plant on them for free.
There are a lot of land that can be leased at rate of 50k for many years,it depends on the owners.
There was a time I wanted to plant cassava,I was asked to bring 2k to rent an acre per year and to clear it for 4k per acre.
Security na main issue.

Lead him astray. This is my field of work
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Exceed15: 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2023
Consider your plans well before you venture out
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by asid(m): 12:40pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:
"Wow! Just came back online now and realised that the thread has been moved to front page. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read and comment.

Let me answer the few questions I can remember while going through the comments.

I have practical experience in this field about five years ago until everything went south mostly due to a fault of mine. This time, adequate measures have been taken to avoid a reoccurrence. of such incidence. There is no problem of Fulani Herdsmen in this area. There is a ready made buyer, an acquaintance who buys cassava from farms at bulk for a company he works with.

I hope I've covered some of the questions raised.

Finally, I will consider having the farming business alongside my current job at least until the first harvest. That way, I can save more money and will be better equipped.

Any room for an outside investor?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by kilisi(m): 12:44pm On Dec 26, 2023
asid:

Not now Sir. Thanks.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by seanery: 12:54pm On Dec 26, 2023
Good
Those jobless can apply

Thnks
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by BigBashiru: 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2023
Shawlambivert:
Pls don't resign just yet. Practical Agriculture can be very dicey especially if you're just starting. It's my discipline as well and that's all I've been doing since after my grad in 2011 but trust me, it takes time.

Can crops be harvested without you being physically present??
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by YourGFsnatcher: 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:
Good day friends and trust we are coping with the current state of things

I plan to resign from my current job by the end of February 2024 so that I can go into full time agriculture. That's my discipline from school anyway.

I've been able to raise just 1 million naira within a year and 2 months and the plan is to plant cassava and maize on a 12 acre farmland I'm about to secure.

6k per acre of land

I also plan to use about an acre for planting pepper and tomatoes.

I hope I'm not making a hasty decision by resigning from my job soon.

Free advice. You already know the vision you have. We can never see the vision in your head, if we will advice you it will be due to our own fears, experince and insecurities. This is a big dream you have, don't throw it out because of advices you get from people who will never understand your vision.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by femi4: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

I plan to resign from my current job by the end of February 2024 so that I can go into full time agriculture. That's my discipline from school anyway.

I've been able to raise just 1 million naira within a year and 2 months and the plan is to plant cassava and maize on a 12 acre farmland I'm about to secure.

6k per acre of land

Why not start in bit...then quit finally when you are a bit stabilized
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by abbasajao(m): 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2023
chicfarmer:
Do it part-time this year while keeping your current job. If it goes well then you can resign next year and go into full time farming.

Give consideration to this advice.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Ashirioluwa: 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

I wouldn't quit my current job right away if I were you. I will first acquire the land and begin with labor assistance because you're doing well for yourself if you can raise one million naira within a year with your current employment.

Don’t get me wrong. Farming is an excellent business, but instead of quitting your job to focus on the farm full-time, why not start by using your days off and the help of workers to start it on a part-time basis and see how it goes?
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by ruffhandu: 2:26pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Abeg where you buy the 6k per acre? I am interested.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by KrisUc(m): 2:33pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

you're not making a nasty decision to go into farming, I would advise that you should not resign yet, if your work scheduke woukd be an hindrance to the farming, try to communicate with your HR to implement the hybrid work module for you even if it means a reduction in salary, remember that if you quit the job, youre also gonna pay your bills from the savings youve made and you won't start harvesting to make profit until after some months. Also, since you say you're trained in Agriculture, please ensure to study the soil first and ensure that it's gonna be yielding and not overly nourished that could lead to decay of cassava cos that plant can be very sensitive most times.

All the best!
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by fxtree: 2:44pm On Dec 26, 2023
Gh
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Emmizay12(m): 2:48pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:
Wow! Just came back online now and realised that the thread has been moved to front page. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read and comment.

Let me answer the few questions I can remember while going through the comments.

I have practical experience in this field about five years ago until everything went south mostly due to a fault of mine. This time, adequate measures have been taken to avoid a reoccurrence. of such incidence. There is no problem of Fulani Herdsmen in this area. There is a ready made buyer, an acquaintance who buys cassava from farms at bulk for a company he works with.

I hope I've covered some of the questions raised.

Finally, I will consider having the farming business alongside my current job at least until the first harvest. That way, I can save more money and will be better equipped.
My brother listen to me

Resign as fast as possible and go into your dreams, you will make a lot of mistakes but that is a good thing because you will be in your best element chasing your dreams

I quit my job last year and I wished I quit 2 years earlier, was it easy? Hell no, but I am 1000 closer to my dreams had I not quit, I knew what it takes to get to where I want to be and that is the most important thing in life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by chibizz007: 3:24pm On Dec 26, 2023
I tried doing the same while I was working with a school,but the person who was in charge of my farm defrauded me,my best advice is to keep your job and still do your farming if your job would give you time during the weekend.
Secondly what you are planning to plant,how fast will you cultivate it??...,you can still add vegetables like ugu and okro dey sell fast and grow fast.they are also in high demands.
Thirdly you can also add corn,there's more than enough cash in corn/maize only if you know what you're doing...
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by emerged01(m): 3:42pm On Dec 26, 2023
DrDoc:

Lead him astray. This is my field of work
Bro,nothing like lead him astray. I have friends who are in agriculture business, like planting of yam,cassava,pineapple and plantain.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Messina123: 3:44pm On Dec 26, 2023
emerged01:

Bro,nothing like lead him astray. I have friends who are in agriculture business, like planting of yam,cassava,pineapple and plantain.

You are planning on killing him. Why don't you tell him about the sob stories also. Let him know it is not easy. Stop this nonsense

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by DrDoc: 3:45pm On Dec 26, 2023
emerged01:

That is what i have beem doing for eight years straight. Oga just obe head of yam for cultivation outside is 200 Naira. Herbicides for just one acre of maize from start to finish is 24,000 Naira. This is outside npk, pesticides. Please do not talk about intricate issues you are not personally invested in as though you are. This field is not yours. 1M can never go beyond 4 acres for a good output.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by DrDoc: 3:48pm On Dec 26, 2023
asid:

If you have Faith and would like to partner. I am engaging in a 45 acres farm in oyo. Stationed here for the next 24 calender months. If you have faith, come visit in January and be my financial partner

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by abobote: 4:22pm On Dec 26, 2023
You are resigning from a work you raised 1M in two years for agriculture just coz is your discipline?

Increase the money to 3M before resigning
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by millionboi2: 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

very hasty decision,spend at least 5years in d job that gave you 1million and gather more like 5m.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Shawlambivert(m): 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2023
Yes it can be harvested but from experience it rarely ends well. There's a very high probability you'll be cheated. So many bad people out there looking to shortchange and exploit you.
BigBashiru:

Can crops be harvested without you being physically present??
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Tzar(m): 5:04pm On Dec 26, 2023
I think that you should test waters first.
Try part time agriculture while doing full time wrk to see how viable it will be for you in 12-18months.
Resigning with just N1m is to hasty in my opinion. What will you eat in 6-12months whiile the crops are growing ?
That money is too small to gamble with the possibility of crops failing.
You don't even know how fertile the land is yet. Also, hope the fulanis won't encroach on your farm.
Just do the cost/benefit analysis, risk analysis, financial viability analysis and test your proficiency on a small scale first before diving in full time.
GOOD LUCK BRAVE MAN!
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by soccerlite: 5:13pm On Dec 26, 2023
You want to go fully into commercial farming with 1million naira?

Do your feasibility studies well before resigning

Do only casavva first
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by CaptainGo: 5:16pm On Dec 26, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:

Free advice. You already know the vision you have. We can never see the vision in your head, if we will advice you it will be due to our own fears, experince and insecurities. This is a big dream you have, don't throw it out because of advices you get from people who will never understand your vision.

Exactly! People are just projecting their fears, insecurities, and ignorance here.

He can easily makes ends meet in the short term by planting fast growing crops like water leaves, ugu, pepper, etc in a portion of the land.

Too many people have a 'job' mindset, yet they go to the market to buy foodstuff. I wonder if they assume the foodstuff fall from heaven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by CaptainGo: 5:21pm On Dec 26, 2023
Emmizay12:
My brother listen to me

Resign as fast as possible and go into your dreams, you will make a lot of mistakes but that is a good thing because you will be in your best element chasing your dreams

I quit my job last year and I wished I quit 2 years earlier, was it easy? Hell no, but I am 1000 closer to my dreams had I not quit, I knew what it takes to get to where I want to be and that is the most important thing in life

💯
Exactly.

It's better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb than at the top of one you don't.

With the rising cost of food, agriculture is more lucrative than most people know.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Emmaskill(m): 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2023
nnamdi640:
Japa with 1 million, is it for airplane ticket or for the processing of the visa?
watin happen to Mediterranean sea? Japa na Japa. Provided u reach ur destination.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by CaptainGo: 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Go ahead and start your farm my gee.
You will not regret it.

Just ensure you begin by planting crops like ugu and water leaves etc that will fetch you some cash in a short interval.
Go and ask how much market women pay for a bed of water leaves, and you'll understand that you'll be fine.

You can post your journey and progress on YouTube, twitter, and even here.

It is hard work no doubt, but you'll be joyful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Breaking: Lagos State Government Approves Consultancy Cadre For Pharmacists / Career Path To Becoming A Diplomat / Which Path Should I Take? I Am Confused!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.