Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain (24975 Views)

Nigeria’s Poultry Renaissance: A Naira Devaluation Advantage / Spent Grain ( Brewery Waste ) / Naira Devaluation And Agriculture In The Niger Delta: The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by RepoMan007: 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2023
Dynamics of global village.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by RepoMan007: 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2023
DesChyko:
We're exporting what we don't have 🥲
No.
Foreign buyers are.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by NICEEY: 1:22pm On Dec 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Smh. You are looking for who to blame as usual and deviated from acquiring the right knowledge and education.

Don't waste your time on finding who to blame for your failures.

Back to agriculture, mechanized farming is done in Nigeria too. That's why the farmers output have increased. Nigeria equally produce fertilisers and even export fertilizers which has helped us greatly.

Commercial farming is not the same as mechanized farming. Mechanized farming is just part of commercial farming. Commercial farming requires a whole lot of hands!

For weeks now that most of the migrants Isreal aggresively import from other countries have fled, Israel farmers have been begging volunteers to come help them on the farms to reduce the huge wastage. US built what it today use to deceive you as successful mechanized farming on the sweat of slaves, trafficked humans and migrant farm hands locked up in shelters.

China and India are the biggest producers of a lot of agricultural produces today because of their huge population. Really successful commercial farming need huge population. Where there's huge population there's successful commercial farming.

Same reason why the Northerners are more successful in commercial farming than southerners and the Yoruba, the only majority tribe in southern Nigeria, more successful in commercial farming than other tribes in southern Nigeria. Oyo state for years continue to dorminate cassava etc. Even cocoa, kolanut, oranges etc dominated by the Yoruba farmers.

Love this, you are right bro. Let them keep looking for who to blame, instead of thinking. Losers will always blame others for their failure even for opportunities they fail to grab.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by DeOTR: 1:24pm On Dec 30, 2023
tctrills:

Oga you are not very intelligent.
Now I will try to school you but I am sure it's a waste of time.
In 2020, 1000 naira was equal to 1400 cfa but now, 1800 naira is equal to 1000 cfa.
So yes, Nigerian produce are now very cheap for other countries. But again because you are not producing enough for your local market, you are facing a good shortage leading to an inflation in local prices.
Only an idiot thinks this is great news.
So just imagine you have just a bowl of garri to feed your family of 10 but then you are force to sell it. That's an over simplified way of explaining it to you.
The farmers are free to sell their produce to the highest bidders.
If the citizens are productive, we won't be here talking about weak currency. If you're not happy about this news, go into farming and sell for cheaper.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by nairalanda1(m): 1:28pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

Love this, you are right bro. Let them keep looking for who to blame, instead of thinking. Losers will always blame others for their failure even for opportunities they fail to grab.

Yep, like 8 years of bad governance of APC, and 16 years of bad governance of PDP, and years of bad governance of army rule didn;t happen

You Nigerians should enjoy your change. cheesy
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by Balistic4: 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2023
@sccarrr brace up ooo grin grin grin grin more reality will hit you soon, even thievery won't save you from this one. I suggest you go and do the ritual with your mother and father like you promised.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by NICEEY: 1:44pm On Dec 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yep, like 8 years of bad governance of APC, and 16 years of bad governance of PDP, and years of bad governance of army rule didn;t happen

You Nigerians should enjoy your change. cheesy

Yea we are really enjoying ourselves, for those of us who wants to. And by the grace of God you will never stop crying.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by nairalanda1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

Yea we are really enjoying ourselves, for those of us who wants to. And by the grace of God you will never stop crying.

When we were under PDP, folks like you were rightly calling PDP names, and calling them bad leaders. And you were right. But when APC does the same, you laugh and say youa re enjouing, because your side won.

I take no sides. I'm just sad for my country.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by NICEEY: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

When we were under PDP, folks like you were rightly calling PDP names, and calling them bad leaders. And you were right. But when APC does the same, you laugh and say youa re enjouing, because your side won.

I take no sides. I'm just sad for my country.

Yes you are not lieing, but pls just show me where I ever called PDP names and where I praised APC. And if you can't just ask anyone on nairaland to help you. You people should stop imagining things abeg. Look so u think am like you, someone waiting for the government? Thank God you yourself wrote how bad the government is from the beginning. Is it now you are now expecting magic to happen? Pls answer me

You are just sad for your country, abeg stop forming patriotic citizen.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by nairalanda1(m): 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

Yes you are not lieing, but pls just show me where I ever called PDP names and where I praised APC. And if you can't just ask anyone on nairaland to help you. You people should stop imagining things abeg. Look so u think am like you, someone waiting for the government? Thank God you yourself wrote how bad the government is from the beginning. Is it now you are now expecting magic to happen? Pls answer me

PDP and APC are the same as far as I am concerned

The fact that you are enjoying does not mean the government is doing the right things yet.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by NICEEY: 2:15pm On Dec 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

PDP and APC are the same as far as I am concerned

The fact that you are enjoying does not mean the government is doing the right things yet.

Pls show me where I mentioned PDP or APC or where I said the government is doing the right thing.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by nairalanda1(m): 2:16pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

Pls show me where I mentioned PDP or APC or where I said the government is doing the right thing.

APC supporter in denial.

You love tinubu, they love gej and pdp. Both of you are not ready yet.

Yes, not ready yet at all.

As the pigeon said to the sheep...the lice always know which way the rain goes, they go..
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by NICEEY: 2:20pm On Dec 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

APC supporter in denial.

You love tinubu, they love gej and pdp. Both of you are not ready yet.

Yes, not ready yet at all.

As the pigeon said to the sheep...the lice always know which way the rain goes, they go..

You can't defend yourself, so as a result am a lover of Tinubu. People with retarded brain just too plenty.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by nairalanda1(m): 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

You can't defend yourself, so as a result am a lover of Tinubu. People with retarded brain just too plenty.

Yep, that's what tinubu and pdp supporters eventually call me. A person with retarded brain

Anyway, you and your comrade freestuffs missed my original point. Because at the end, APC.

You know, all of you nairalanders, you better start thinking for yourselves. Not everything is PDP and APC, mkay.?

But then again, cheesy
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by olayinka63: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2023
Well, the other side of this news is what I want to comment.
The South Easterners and South South people claiming to single handedly sustaining Nigeria. Are you reading this news? Can you see all the areas mentioning are the North just to tell you that your food is coming from the North. We are both working together to sustain Nigeria. No region does it all. So lower your pride and enough of your chest beating.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by tctrills: 2:33pm On Dec 30, 2023
DeOTR:

The farmers are free to sell their produce to the highest bidders.
If the citizens are productive, we won't be here talking about weak currency. If you're not happy about this news, go into farming and sell for cheaper.
You are not making any sense. First, no one is blaming the farmers but to think that the solution is for more people to go into farming shows that you have no understanding of how things work.
Nigeria has more farmers than the EU and US put together yet we can't feed ourselves.
Again, the average Nigerian farmer is poor. I have traveled many of the biggest farming communities in Nigeria and I don't see lots of millionaires. I see very poor and backwards farmers.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by surgical: 2:36pm On Dec 30, 2023
Nazgul:
What still baffles me is how people still manage to defend Tinubu's policies since May 29th.

Every achievement Tinubu has made since resuming office has been on paper. We're yet to see even one policy that has made life easier for the masses. On the 50% discount on travelers going to the East, myself and two friends went to Chisco and God is Good parks at Jibowu on the 26th to confirm. They told us clearly, that they're charging their full price and if we want to book for a seat we should pay. Of course we didn't want to travel, we just wanted to confirm what Mr President said.

Nobody has benefitted from the so called 50% discount, yet everywhere is silent. If you talk his e-rats who can't even afford a day's meal would attack you.

APC has been lying to our faces since 2015, yet they keep defending Tinubu and his Party. Africans truly have a serious problem.
not only that he promised workers 35k per month palliative for 6months and 25k for pensioners, he paid 1month to workers in Sept this is Dec he has not paid a dime again ,while the pensioners have not received a kobold,Nigerians should be ready for a lot of lies in these administration that will be their only achievements nothing else,Tinubu doesn't have it he can't give it ,another achievements will be frivolous, wasteful and senseless spending

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by grandstar(m): 2:37pm On Dec 30, 2023
Which of these foreigners are coming to purchase locally produced rice? None.

Yet, that is where government is focusing its energy the most, something that won't yield the much needed foreign exchange the country desperately needs.

If the investment poured into rice self sufficiency had been pumped into crops the country had a competitive advantage, don't be surprised if buyers come from all over Africa, even from as far as South Africa and Egypt to import from here.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by tctrills: 2:37pm On Dec 30, 2023
Gerrard59:

But this is an opportunity for new entrants to enter the industry to cultivate and harvest more crops. How is it a bad thing? Should Nigerian farmers refuse to sell their produce to the highest bidders? Must their buyers be fellow Nigerians? Why not advocate for more farmers and larger farmlands? Why try to restrict who and at price Nigerian farmers sell their harvests to?
The problem is not the Nigerian farmer, it's the Nigerian currency.
And yes large investments into agriculture is the solution.
Then again, the problem is not that we don't have enough farmers. We actually have more farmers than the US and EU put together. Having more farmers would only lead to more poverty. What you need is to increase the productivity of your farmers.
This takes huge investments.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by surgical: 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2023
tctrills:

You are not making any sense. First, no one is blaming the farmers but to think that the solution is for more people to go into farming shows that you have no understanding of how things work.
Nigeria has more farmers than the EU and US put together yet we can't feed ourselves.
Again, the average Nigerian farmer is poor. I have traveled many of the biggest farming communities in Nigeria and I don't see lots of millionaires. I see very poor and backwards farmers.
normal apc supporter thinking very myopic
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by jojothaiv(m): 2:42pm On Dec 30, 2023
KEVIND:

Size is not strength
Ours is not well utilized. For example, what goes on Nairaland is a testament to that.

Our so called size ensure that we stay divided and that helps the guys at the top to keep playing their cards or divide and rule well.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by GeneralDae: 3:02pm On Dec 30, 2023
tctrills:

It's not a transportation problem oga. It's a currency problem.
So in 2020, 1400cfa was equal to 1000 naira but today, 1000 cfa is equal to 1800 naira. So it's very cheap and easy to buy up Nigerian produce and continue to drive up inflation
This is a good thing if we can increase production and find a way to bring the proceeds of these exports to the CBN and the formal economy.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by mfm04622: 3:12pm On Dec 30, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Farmers are smiling to the bank

Middle men are smiling to the bank!
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by mfm04622: 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

This is a good thing if we can increase production and find a way to bring the proceeds of these exports to the CBN and the formal economy.

Exactly!!!

What is stopping us from increasing production so that they will continue to buy our products over their farmers own?
This is a good thing in the long run and the very advantage a weak currency give the country.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by mfm04622: 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

The proceeds goes to the farmer that produced the goods, not CBN. We earn the foreign exchange because they come with their currency which they change to Naira before buying our goods

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by Asswipemod: 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2023
dre11:

Merchants from neighbouring countries and beyond are mopping up grains harvested by Nigerian farmers, investigation by Daily Trust Saturday has revealed. The merchants from the…

https://dailytrust.com/naira-devaluation-how-neighbouring-countries-others-feast-on-nigerias-cheap-grains/

Fulanis have suddenly become economists. Na wa o.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by tctrills: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

But we both know that we wouldn't. It all ends here on Nairaland.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by tctrills: 3:39pm On Dec 30, 2023
NICEEY:

Nigeria can actually provide enough food for itself, but insecurity is to be dealt with first. These babdits are trying to stop farmers from farming until they pay them. But upon all these, more and more youths are going into farming.
Oga we already have more than enough farmers. We have more farmers than the EU and US put together. We don't need more farmers, we need more productivity. This calls for huge capital.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by PHAYOL81: 4:00pm On Dec 30, 2023
Something wey never dey enough for us, yet foreigners sef dey drag am with us. Only the farmers dey cash out for this agro policies true true
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by londonzona: 4:11pm On Dec 30, 2023
I pity for consistent nairalander that always concern about the wellbeing of the country, always commenting bitterly.. the truth is thst you will comment tire...Your learders dont give a damn.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by Realtruth2023: 4:12pm On Dec 30, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Farmers are smiling to the bank

In what way? It is the foreign guys that are undercutting the local farmers because of exchange rates
Re: Naira Devaluation: Neighbouring Countries, Others Feast On Nigeria’s Cheap Grain by Realtruth2023: 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2023
aspabay:
Illiterates all over this thread. I don’t blame you I blame the reporters who made it look like bad news. You have more people buying from you and you call it bad news.

That’s forex flowing in guys.

You say food is expensive, foreigners are rushing to buy, isn’t that a marvel.

God bless Tinubu.

But yet the Naira keeps depreciating. Please stop all this BS abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Potato Harvest From Kaduna & Vicampro Partnership. (photos) / Saving Some Cost By Gardening--without Limits (pictures) / My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.