Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,938 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? (11389 Views)

The New International Building Materials Market In Enugu South LGA (Pictures) / Between Provisions Store And Building Materials Business / Nearness To Market Vs Nearness To Raw Materials:Which Is Key To Siting A Factory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by TugOfWar: 11:44am On Jan 03
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

Where do you reside?
Your location will determine how far I can assist or guide you.

Answer my question sharp sharp.
One of those businesses you listed is part of my business portfolio and helping or lifting people is one of my focus this year.
I am in Enugu
But considering moving into sbj or Lagos
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by TugOfWar: 11:45am On Jan 03
Odidigboigbo:
If you say building materials, please can you be specific? Which areas of build materials do you want to deal with, Tiles, plumbing, cement, roofing sheets, nails, wood, etc. There is money in building materials it's more lucrative than cosmetic but not a daily business like that of cosmetic.
zink pop cement ceilings
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by gud4vvvvv: 11:47am On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
Good day nairalanders
I am just 25 and I want to start up a business
Having cosmetics and building materials in mind, I don't really know which I should go for
Which one moves faster
My budget is 8 million naira

go for building materials. It gives more profits and don't usually expires but will require more capital
For cosmetic it requires less capital but u need to know how cream react on one skin and advice the customer accordingly. Some may come and ask you to give them a cream that will maintain their skin color while some the one that will make their skin fairer or darker.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by TugOfWar: 11:48am On Jan 03
ariesbull:
oga keep your money...I doubt if you are Igbo

I will advise you go and learn the trade for at least 6 months to a year
I am igbo
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by seetomorrow: 11:51am On Jan 03
Fatbam005:
If you want to be in control of your mind , do not venture into a business you don't know anything about . That 8m you are bragging about can suddenly become your nightmare. A word is enough for the wise

You just sounded so negative here. I don't why I perceived your comment that way. I sense it
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:57am On Jan 03
deavicky:
cosmetics are sold almost everywhere, people this day goes to such places alot. Eg all the these super stalls like shop rite and its kind. Even a provision shop around the area still sell one to two type of cosmetic.

You know know the business be that.
I'm not talking about toiletries cos that's what is sold in those places you mentioned. I'm talking about total Bss where ladies frequent always knowing they will get any kind of cosmetics they want. Not ShopRite that you'll see one regular boring cream or skincare product that is not so much in demand. I'm talking about storage like Ebeano in VI

You need to learn the trade to know the kind of cosmetics to major in. Not them ShopRite range.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 12:02pm On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
I am in Enugu
But considering moving into sbj or Lagos

You mean Abj or Lagos?

Ok noted, which of the two business ideas do you have prior knowledge on?

Whenever you decide on the one to go for, first learn it. You need to learn it and know about the business to a good extent.

Again, put into consideration the location of the business premise you will be getting.

For example, if you rent a shop in an already developed part of Lagos, building materials won't be too promising in such area compared to developing areas, building materials will sell well in areas that are developing, let's say areas like Ibeju-Lekki, epe, ikorodu etc.

Cosmetics business is actually not for the weak because of the expiry nature of the products/commodities, unlike building materials which have long expiry dates, which can afford you to pass through the growing stage with less pressure/worry. My reason for this is that you can't escape that period, the first few years of starting a new business, I mean that period where you grow customers and all that, so it is easier in building materials line than cosmetics line.

Again, don't invest all your money at once, invest part and as time goes on, invest the rest gradually.

Lastly, be prayerful and avoid women, most especially when you just started.

Reason for putting PRAYERFUL in bold is because of the popular statement "You can't sit on the fence" in this scenario, you just have to strong in whatever you do because of the challenges that will come your way either from the business itself or from competitors or from some people due to envy/jealousy.

Bro, I remember when I started mine, I remember nights that I cried after closing business for the day, imagine looking at your shop filled with goods but sales dey poor, but God has been very good and faithful to me and my loved ones.

I'm wishing you the best in your business when you finally decide on which one to do.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by AbujaLagos: 12:03pm On Jan 03
Building materials pls. The business dey lucrative, big profit. Big contract
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:08pm On Jan 03
No matter the location, ur budget, ur experience….. just deal with building materials….. is the best
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 12:10pm On Jan 03
Odidigboigbo:
You see your life, you just wake up and rant without saying anything that is directly related to what the OP is enquiring of. Who is asking you the one that is more capital intensive? Op already said he has 8m to invest and asked for best between Cosmetic and Building materials to go for. All you could do is just to rant without providing me wrong that building materials is more lucrative than cosmetic. I have mentioned the difference between the two businesses based on his capital, that should be your line of argument. Not how "you own the entire supply chain of all the business in Nigeria"
I'm not suprise, people in that side of the Country are known for bragging
I am not the source of your misfo rtune in life guy, do you have any personal thing with me?

You attacked me first by saying I know nothing about something I deals on/in, and I replied you accordingly, now you are ranting.

Well, you people are know for that trait, you guys are filled with en vy, jealo usy, and hat red.
Anybody doing what you guys can't do are automatically enemies to you guy, shior!

Check my response to him, I am in talk with him on that already.

Shebi you don humble now, you go about insulting people because this is a faceless forum but thinks everyone is like you.

Learn and grow up, now get lost.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:11pm On Jan 03
NwaliE01:
You can't compare them. There's no much profit in cosmetics. Building materials are more profitable. Remember cosmetics expires.

Some mention cosmetics here because they don’t know the value of building materials….. these are products that doesn’t have expiring date….. cosmetics products can expire if the is low patronage ……..hmmm

1 Like

Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Odidigboigbo(m): 12:14pm On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
zink pop cement ceilings
That is nice but I will advise you learn the trade first before venturing into it. There is what is called "show me way", have agreed with any person doing the business already, say 3 months to show you all the rudiments of the business. In so doing, you will make some contacts and build your client base before you start up.
As I said earlier is not daily business, especially for a beginner. With perseverance and dedication you will smile in no distance time.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:14pm On Jan 03
Omihanifa:
Let me just tell you one thing for free. If you decide to go into sales of building materials, just know that you have to be very spiritual. Either you follow God or you go dey do jazz (evian)

One of the most dangerous business to do in nigeria nah building materials business because almost all of the major guys belong to an occultic group and if you decide not to join them, them go frustrate your life
😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 hearing this for the first time…..,
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by VIKTO83(m): 12:25pm On Jan 03
Both are capital intensive.
Intact I did a survey couple of days ago on cosmetics as side hussle and I was shocked to know that even the 8M u are talking about is small.
Imagine a good cream of at least 3500 (like d one I use ooo).... u need at least 20 of such class of cream for shelf and others too.
Cosmetics take little space.
Building material takes more space.
But in all, u need to know the in and out of the business.
Pray along too to avoid wasted years.
Food stuff is also good too

1 Like

Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Blitzking: 12:30pm On Jan 03
Go for building materials...I would advise deal only in blocks...floor bricks and sales of cement and sand..look for a strategic location
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by JamieRocks(m): 12:30pm On Jan 03
Building/plumbing materials
TugOfWar:
Good day nairalanders
Having cosmetics and building materials in mind, I don't really know which I should go for
Which one moves faster

Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Odidigboigbo(m): 12:31pm On Jan 03
CatchMeIfUCanMO:
I am not the source of your misfo rtune in life guy, do you have any personal thing with me?

You attacked me first by saying I know nothing about something I deals on/in, and I replied you accordingly, now you are ranting.

Well, you people are know for that trait, you guys are filled with en vy, jealo usy, and hat red.
Anybody doing what you guys can't do are automatically enemies to you guy, shior!

Check my response to him, I am in talk with him on that already.

Shebi you don humble now, you go about insulting people because this is a faceless forum but thinks everyone is like you.

Learn and grow up, now get lost.
You lack understanding and respect, I make a comment you come to my mention and attacked me without any reasonable arguments to prove me wrong. I replied you to engage me with constructive argument if you have contrary opinions, but you couldn't. Only to be bragging how you "Own entire supply chains of all the business in Nigeria. Who asked you that, how does that relate to what I said. If you can't engage in a meaningful argument, don't ever mention me.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 12:40pm On Jan 03
Odidigboigbo:
You lack understanding and respect, I make a comment you come to my mention and attacked me without any reasonable arguments to prove me wrong. I replied you to engage me with constructive argument if you have contrary opinions, but you couldn't. Only to be bragging how you "Own entire supply chains of all the business in Nigeria. Who asked you that, how does that relate to what I said. If you can't engage in a meaningful argument, don't ever mention me.

See who is talking about respect, come on keep kwayet joor.

You are expecting to get what you can't give.

I saw that part where you wanted me to reply your question but your first manner of response cancelled out that, and I see no reason why I should give you a reply on that when you already started your response with disrespect.
The about part about was because you jumped into conclusion about someone you don't know, I have already modified the response sef

Next time if you want people to engage you in a constructive argument, ask for it politely or with courtesy.

I'm done with you on this topic.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by mabea: 12:45pm On Jan 03
Burob:
Definitely cosmetics, there is a reason why Nigeria is rated the number 1 skin toner nation in Africa.

We love to bleach skin in Naija.
You just give advise without experience. Building materials is by far a better option. Cosmetics is good but you must be in a very very good location. Cosmetics profit margin is usually small and does not support much expenses from the first year or 2
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Sleekfingers: 12:59pm On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
Good day nairalanders
Which one moves faster

I am an architect. Building material business is highly lucrative.

But it is very broad......you need to know your onions, before delving into it.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 1:06pm On Jan 03
mabea:
You just give advise without experience. Building materials is by far a better option. Cosmetics is good but you must be in a very very good location. Cosmetics profit margin is usually small and does not support much expenses from the first year or 2

It is like that because you need to grow customers base and popularity first, and again it depends on which section of cosmetics one is dealing on.
Saying cosmetics profit margin is usually small shows you don't know anything about the business.

Building materials is never a better option please, both business ideas are good depending on many factors.
I don't know why most of you conclude on things hastily.

If not that this is a faceless forum, I would have mention somethings here, but let me just leave it like this.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by ariesbull: 1:45pm On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
I am igbo
then do what the Igbo are known to do Nna
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Emperorx: 2:27pm On Jan 03
[ quote author=TugOfWar post=127748695]Good day nairalanders
Which one moves faster

[/quote] well it depends on which u like more for me building material is still the best provided u site it well
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Emperorx: 2:28pm On Jan 03
[ quote author=TugOfWar post=127748695]Good day nairalanders
Which one moves faster

[/quote] well it depends on which u like more for me building material is still the best provided u site it well
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Emma513: 2:50pm On Jan 03
sanya4good:
Don't just start a business without you knowing its rudiments. Learn the business first from someone into it then decide whether to go into it or not.
BEST ADVICE SO FAR. OP LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Olaasunky1: 2:53pm On Jan 03
I work in a cosmetics company, go for cosmetics, there is serious money in cosmetics, honestly you won't regret it.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by 360command: 4:14pm On Jan 03
TugOfWar:
Good day nairalanders
Which one moves faster

one house can make you rich if you are into building materials. Infact, you can only sell electrical cables for wiring a house and if it is a new house and they buy from you, that can make you rich.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by dhesire(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03
izubext007:
Both, but cusmentics would av been better because men and women these days like to bleach

What are you talking about?
Where and when did he mention 'cusmentics'
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by dhesire(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03
Resetinc:
This topic is not for those ill-bred tribalistic idiots who’re still living with their misinformed parents but come online to engage in tribal bashings ….. 😂😂😂
In their mind they would be wondering how a 25yrs old got 8milli to start business 😂😂
As you idiots are on politics section engaging in post election ethnic hatred & bashings , your mates out there are building their lives.😂

@OP - depends on what you have knowledge and passion for, cosmetics will boom fast but building material needs time and connections to boom. Follow your heart. May God guide and bless your path..

Resentinc

Resentinc or Resetinc?
Which is which?
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by MrGerald(m): 6:29pm On Jan 03
taiwotimitt:
Location is of utmost importance. Imagine your business around student area, cosmetic would yield good income with that 8m startup capital.

Register your business with CAC first and secure your brand name. Very important
Targeting students that mostly buying on credit or not allow the capital growth and expansion, I'd rather be in a major market where you become retail supplier that'd create avenues for you to become a multimillionaire in few years
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Mjshexy(f): 7:03pm On Jan 03
As someone in the cosmetic industry i will advice you to go for the building materials, at the moment the cosmetic industry isnt booming like it use to, in fact many are presently folding up. It's just a simple suggestion but the decision is yours to take.
Re: Cosmetics Or Building Materials, Which Is More Lucrative?? by Emperor5(m): 8:18pm On Jan 03
Ignore the two business ideas..
Go for pharmacy business 8m is enough for it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? / Diamond Bank Appoints Chris Ubosi As New Non-executive Director / Why Cereal Maker Kellogg Plans To Invest $420m In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.