Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,420 members, 7,815,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights (25966 Views)

Liverpool Join Sevilla, Others In Race For Onuachu / Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights / Meet Joash Onyango, The 27-Year-Old Kenyan Footballer Training For AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by obesse: 9:24pm On Jan 04
oz4real83:
The good news is that a company is finally breaking multichoice's monopoly over sports in Africa, the bad news is that Nigeria and Nigerian companies are always no where to be found when issues like this are being decided, small countries and their companies decide while Nigeria, a supposed giant must obey decisions made by these tiny countries lipsrsealed, if they decide that Nigerians won't be given access to watch afcon, the decision stands embarassed
This is so true. It is such a shame that many of the so-called business moguls in Nigeria would rather invest outside the country because their sources of income are questionable. And those who do invest in Nigeria do so only when they can lobby the government to kill foreign competition for then, so that they can squeeze consumers dry; eg cement production and rice farming.

3 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by SavageResponse(m): 9:29pm On Jan 04
chymeze:
This company was able to acquire all these rights over multichoice because the Togolese government stood firmly by them and gave them all the necessary support against all odds. That rings a loud lesson for the Nigerian context. If the Nigerian government had given firm support to some of these local companies which were starting up they would have survived and taken over the African space. But as usual the story is that whenever these companies arise to challenge DStv, it's even the Nigerian government bribed heavily by DStv that suffocates their own local companies. A small nation like Togo has just shown a supposedly larger nation like Nigeria how it's done if you want your nation to be on the lips of the world. What a shame for Nigeria!

That company is only surviving because it is enjoying heavy government subsidy.

As soon as there is a change of government in Togo the company will die off if the new government has a new policy direction which does not include using state funds to prop up a company which lacks financial viability!

5 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by alfredilly: 9:31pm On Jan 04
oz4real83:
The good news is that a company is finally breaking multichoice's monopoly over sports in Africa, the bad news is that Nigeria and Nigerian companies are always no where to be found when issues like this are being decided, small countries and their companies decide while Nigeria, a supposed giant must obey decisions made by these tiny countries lipsrsealed, if they decide that Nigerians won't be given access to watch afcon, the decision stands embarassed

You guy seem not to wonder why Francophone countries have exclusive assess to the opportunity. This is beyond breaking monopoly, it's about France covert attempt to dominate the rest of African like it does of it's ex colonies countries. World TV look like another Foreign direct investment (FDI) in which France is the leading European country.. This is also another attempt to put the Anglophobe countries under it's control and reduce the influence of Britain. Hate the British as you which, they are a more liberal and inclusive nation when it comes to foreign relation than many of their European counterpart. There liberalism is even robbing off on them in international politics.

3 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Debroslink: 9:32pm On Jan 04
Bein Sport (MENA Countries and USA)
Eleven Sport (Europe)
Canal+ Sport (French countries)
SportTV (Europe)
TNT Sport and Sky Sport (UK)
TSN Sport (Canada)
Arena Sport (Europe)

All these are better alternatives to Supersport.

Just get unlimited data plans and the whole world is on your screen courtesy IPTV. Yes, unlimited data plans are in Lagos, and they are relatively cheaper than any other data plans.

Don't ask me, do your findings and enjoy peace of mind.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by DaRuud(m): 9:36pm On Jan 04
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by blowjohn(m): 9:40pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
I've said it before & I will say it again, seeing DSTV dish mounted on a building is a sign that unintelligent beings reside there.

And ur unidentified flying object, UFO
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by blowjohn(m): 9:41pm On Jan 04
obesse:

This is so true. It is such a shame that many of the so-called business moguls in Nigeria would rather invest outside the country because their sources of income are questionable. And those who do invest in Nigeria do so only when they can lobby the government to kill foreign competition for then, so that they can squeeze consumers dry; eg cement production and rice farming.

They wid rather open clubs, plazas and hotels

3 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Segxydube: 9:42pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
I've said it before & I will say it again, seeing DSTV dish mounted on a building is a sign that unintelligent beings reside there.

How? Explain further pls
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Gboom: 9:45pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
Mindset of a wretched fellow

3 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by CameroonPepper: 9:46pm On Jan 04
Gboom:

Mindset of a wretched fellow

Unintelligent being spotted.

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by chymeze: 9:48pm On Jan 04
SavageResponse:

That company is only surviving because it is enjoying heavy government subsidy.

As soon as there is a change of government in Togo the company will die off if the new government has a new policy direction which does not include using state funds to prop up a company which lacks financial viability!
But couldn't this strategy have worked for the Nigerian companies at least for starters in order to give them that advantage over DStv before handing off? At least one thing that would have worked subsequently for these companies was the huge market the large Nigerian population brings as well as the sheer support they received from Nigerians over DStv
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Seequadry(m): 9:58pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:

My woman don ask tire πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.... Internet plus my smart TV will get me all I needed when I needed it

Why would I brought an African Magic Dish to my home

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by santaclaws: 10:02pm On Jan 04
oz4real83:

Multichoice losing out on the AFCON viewership shouldn't be a thing of happiness for you, it's a far more capable platform than any media house we have in Nigeria. Also you mentioned the issue of Nigeria being missing when negotiations take place... It's all about corruption at the highest level of CAF. CAF is a pro-French organization and they have always had corrupt leadership. Imagine Issa Hayatou being CAF president for 29 good years, meanwhile, Nigeria, the largest African country has NEVER produced a CAF president! 😐

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Angy55(f): 10:07pm On Jan 04
yuzjet:
I can't wait for them to leave Nigeria

People will loose their jobs. It is not everything you rejoice for.

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by FireUpNow(m): 10:08pm On Jan 04
Bluffly:
There is greed in Nigeria. We do not encourage collective wealth

Na so e be oo..Na the reality on ground.
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Gboss247(m): 10:14pm On Jan 04
Menclothing:
We need a serious company that will compete with multi choice In Nigeria
A serious foreign company that will compete with Multichoice with forex repatriation to their home countries, revalue their domestic currency while devaluing the Nigerian naira and Nigerians runs to there to look for greener pastures.

2 Likes

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by LoveJesus87(m): 10:23pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
ah ah how nw
Is there any other options ni, wetin u want make we do

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by LoveJesus87(m): 10:28pm On Jan 04
Itsrm:

You're wasting money. Do the three month bulk subscription. That same 16k would have given you more than 160GB data on MTN. With monthly sub, no way you'll get up to that.
how pls sir
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by LoveJesus87(m): 10:32pm On Jan 04
jpmoriarti:
Only when you come to Europe, then you know that DSTV package is by far the best in the world. They're enjoying monopoly in Africa, just because no-one can offer what they offer.

Here in Spain, UCL is aired by Movistar plus which shows only one match in a match day, LALIGA matches are aired by only DAZN, which airs only 5 matches per match day for only 35 match days. While a different network airs EPL matches. So if you want to watch these three competitions, you must be running 3 different subscriptions in 3 different networks.

Whereas DSTV offers you all these in a single package for Africans. You won't know what you have until you lose it.
lol wow

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by LoveJesus87(m): 10:35pm On Jan 04
Seequadry:

My woman don ask tire πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.... Internet plus my smart TV will get me all I needed when I needed it

Why would I brought an African Magic Dish to my home
how, boss? Show me d way
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by airsaylongcome: 11:07pm On Jan 04
oz4real83:

No company is breaking that monopoly yet. All of these are stunts and corruption rackets by CAF officials to enrich themselves. We have been down this route before. Where's Kwese TV today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by airsaylongcome: 11:09pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:

This is 2024 not 1998.
You are not oppressing anybody, you are just poor and unintelligent.

DSTV dish is a sign of abject poverty and dumbness.
Make money and upgrade.

Upgrade to?
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by airsaylongcome: 11:11pm On Jan 04
Itsrm:

You're wasting money. Do the three month bulk subscription. That same 16k would have given you more than 160GB data on MTN. With monthly sub, no way you'll get up to that.

160GB is a lot?
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by airsaylongcome: 11:12pm On Jan 04
tuzle:
I am not siding the guy o, but I would prefer subbing to watch football games than dstv. My reason is that the highest dstv plan is more than 20k and with that amount I can do more than 100gb on mtn. No matter how I stream in a month, I can't use more than 100gb.

Loooooool....e go shock you! Try streaming 4k make you believe. I burn 100gb in a few days
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by MrAgbako: 11:16pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
haha πŸ˜‚ make your suggestions don't insult. do you know millions of people with DStv dish mounted in their house? Even among your very own family members πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by balingaonline(m): 11:19pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
DSTV dish was mounted in my house but quest what, I'm not using it for DSTV decoder but Free To Air. With Nigcomsat, Flash drive and Android tv box I'm good to go.
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by CameroonPepper: 11:22pm On Jan 04
MrAgbako:
haha πŸ˜‚ make your suggestions don't insult. do you know millions of people with DStv dish mounted in their house? Even among your very own family members πŸ˜‚

They are all dumb.

1 Like

Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by CameroonPepper: 11:23pm On Jan 04
airsaylongcome:

Loooooool....e go shock you! Try streaming 4k make you believe. I burn 100gb in a few days

And DSTV 20k sub gives 4K??
You have no point.
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by airsaylongcome: 11:39pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:

And DSTV 20k sub gives 4K??
You have no point.

My point is that DSTV enables me manage my streaming. Loads of DSTV content are only accessible on Dstv. If I only had 100gb a month, I would be stranded without content. Better to have Dstv for home entertainment alongside streaming
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Will205: 11:52pm On Jan 04
Re: Why Multichoice Lost Out In Race For AFCON Broadcast Rights by Will205: 11:53pm On Jan 04
CameroonPepper:
Why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Paul Pogba Accuses His Brother Of Blackmail, Brother Promises Revelations / Nike Suspends Relationship With Mason Greenwood / Tierney Shares Update From Hospital Bed After Having Shoulder Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.