Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,855 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? (8871 Views)

Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / About To Fly To North Cyprus / North Cyprus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
Thanks to good advice from nairalanders I have shelved my plan of pursuing a masters in ukraine although this might mean loss of money already invested but i don't mind.
Now I want real advice about studying in north cyprus i have enough funds to last me through the period of the masters program alone but i will like to proceed to canada to do a phd before returning to nigeria . Here is my question
would i be able to save enuff money from doing menial jobs in TRNC or even turkey in 2 years to pursue my phd program or this plan is not feasible.
And would you advice somebody who can only afford the finances for the masters program alone to come spend it or should he just use the money to run his masters and phd here in nigeria.
Please do respond as you would your own siblings and I believe the lord would respond to your own issuess to. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by wip7: 4:58am On Nov 04, 2011
Guitarlife:

Thanks to good advice from nairalanders I have shelved my plan of pursuing a masters in ukraine although this might mean loss of money already invested but i don't mind.
Now I want real advice about studying in north cyprus i have enough funds to last me through the period of the masters program alone but i will like to proceed to canada to do a phd before returning to nigeria . Here is my question
would i be able to save enuff money from doing menial jobs in TRNC or even turkey in 2 years to pursue my phd program or this plan is not feasible.
And would you advice somebody who can only afford the finances for the masters program alone to come spend it or should he just use the money to run his masters and phd here in nigeria.
Please do respond as you would your own siblings and I believe the lord would respond to your own issuess to. Thank you.

kindly read more on North Cyprus here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-351402.32.html

If you have very good result and good GRE marks you can try Turkish universities like www.metu.edu.tr or www.itu.edu.tr, www.boun.edu.tr etc these universities are world standard and very affordable in Turkey but with high requirements to secure admission. So if you must study abroad you might as well try them as they are affordable than most uni in North Cyprus or better still study in Nigeria it will be far cheaper for you. Good luck.
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 04, 2011
^^^^ thank you man I was expecting a barrage of replies but with your intelligent response who need's any other response (na lie o abeg make landers yan me more tory o) . I read thru rhat thread and damn it's rich with info I guess the risk is what taking so I will target north cyprus for the masters and struggle to get a good grade then I can get an offer to do phd in a cool turkish school it's a risk I know but it's actually worth it or did i miss your point?
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by wip7: 11:02am On Nov 04, 2011
Guitarlife:

^^^^ thank you man I was expecting a barrage of replies but with your intelligent response who need's any other response (na lie o abeg make landers yan me more tory o) . I read thru rhat thread and damn it's rich with info I guess the risk is what taking so I will target north cyprus for the masters and struggle to get a good grade then I can get an offer to do phd in a cool turkish school it's a risk I know but it's actually worth it or did i miss your point?

You are on POINT!!
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by delpee(f): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2011
North Cyprus is not a friendly environment to live in as i was told by those who schooled there. Cost of living is quite high and jobs are not readily available. They believe Nigerians are very rich while their economy is poor due to isolation so you can imagine how they treat Nigerians. Apart from Eastern Mediterranean University, it seems many of their institutions have no accreditation or international recognition. Do your research well anyway. The country is only recognised by Turkey BTW. Why dont you do your masters here if you cant afford UK or US?
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by JagaJaga1: 2:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
@Guitarlife why don't you try German schools. It's same as Norway but you'll need to pay 8000euros, which is relatively less. Tell me your first degree so that I can find out if Finland is applicable to you as they don't have most engineering programs at MSc level.

From your posts I can understand that studying in Nigeria is your last option.
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2011
@jagajaga my first degree is mech engineering with a 2:1 and @delpee see the reason i am running away from naija schools is that doing a phd in nigeria is a looooooong thing I have a lecturer in my school he as been on his phd for 7 years he told me himself 7 good years so it's like people are hoarding the awarding of phd here and I really look forward to being a lecturer here in nigeria so i was thinking if i could just travel finish my studies and come back in like 5 or 6 years I will be a phd holder then i can then be sure of getting an offer but if i decide to stay back the pressure of seeing your mates already working and earning big or even getting married can be depressing so i guess part of my reason for wanting to run abroad is just to escape the pressure of not earning I hope I am not sounding like a fooooool.
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by delpee(f): 9:31pm On Nov 05, 2011
You are not sounding like a fool. Your objective makes sense but why North Cyprus? Anyway you can do your masters there and go elsewhere for PHD. TRNC is really not the best place to study. Try other options before you conclude. Best wishes.
Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by wip7: 7:57am On Nov 06, 2011
@ poster,

I will like to point some REAL FACTS for you and not hear-say, to study abroad is huge investment irrespective of the country you wish to study. You will have to take care of your tuition, living and accommodation expenses. If your aim is to study as stated earlier, then you should be looking at an affordable country with quality education to achieve your aim being a self-sponsored student. First the best bet for you is to check through braintrack.com and read more on google for what you want and you can come to conclusion and bit of forum discussion from people currently living in the country you wish to go rather than people that hear about the country and did not actually find out themselves. Poster, i am not asking you to travel to study in North Cyprus oooo but i will want to clarify some main points already raised by other well-wisher member here.

1. North Cyprus not friendly environment to live as told by friend who once lived there?

Scientifically and socially to accept anything and pass it to the third person, those things should be empirical and physically reproduce-able. You have not bin to TRNC before to confirm the friendliness or non-friendliness of a country but you only hear, means is NOT ETHICAL to pass it to 3rd person until proven real. What is the meaning of being friendly? For the past years i have bin living in TRNC i have not heard or witness any communal fight, killings or abduction in any part of TRNC BUT killings, serial bombings, kidnaps, road accidents, armed robbery all happens in Kaduna, JOS, Maiduguri, south -south region etc currently in NIGERIA. Can you point where TRNC experienced/experiencing any of the above mentioned hostilities? hmmmm and Nigeria is friendly but TRNC is not friendly, i need to know meaning of friendly anyway.

2. Cost of Living is quite high in TRNC?

All country with currency above Naira will definitely be expensive to live compare to NIGERIA. Since TRNC currency is 1lira : 100 naira (most times), then ypu must expect the living expenses to be higher than Nigeria BUT , the poster already stated his intention to study abroad, so i think scientifically, you should compare the living expenses to other destination abroad NOT Nigeria. so what do you mean by cost of living? do you mean paying for accommodation, buying food to eat, taxi etc? if yes then, most country that you might he should go are far higher than TRNC e.g UK, USA. Canada, Germany, Finland etc so is not a point.

3.They Believe Nigerians are very rich but their economy is isolated and they treat Nigerians like that hmmmm?

Yeah Nigeria as a country is RICH i believe that, how do they treat Nigerians? they slap them and collect money from them on the road ? or they ask them to pay for their food? Anyway,TRNC has STABLE AND REGULAR ELECTRICITY but Nigeria is yet to have that and you are still talking about isolation, Nigeria economy is not isolated but No electricity so which will you choose? Hardly will you experience NETWORK FAILURE in TRNC even though there are only two carrier in TRNC but NIGERIA that is filled with bunch of carriers MTN, GLO cannt even withstand RAIN and you are here saying isolated economy.

4. TRNC is only recognized by Turkey,

Yeah very true. BUT we have more than 20 countries in the world like that until they settle what ever their grievances. But the university in TRNC is world recognized , I represent Eastern Mediterranean University www.emu.edu.tr, NO university in Nigeria rank close to this University interms of quality education, infrastructure and reputation world wide. TRNC not recognized does not means diploma from TRNC is not recognized world wide. You can check EMU accreditation and recognition and see how many exchange collaboration we have with USA, UK, GERMANY, CANADA etc so if the diploma is not recognized, dont you think these uni wont collaborate?

Many Nigerians are treated badly abroad due to many atrocities they have caused and i can tell you many cases we do solve in my office emanating from Nigeria. Yahooo yahooo case, prostitution , drugs, Cultism, illegal way of life etc and you expect TRNC to treat them like Kings when they display such stuff, all that live normal life and put in seriousness in their academic really REAP the fruits of their Labour.

My message is ONLY INTENDED FOR THE POSTER, just to point out that hear-say is not a factor to put into consideration.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 07, 2011
@wip you have done a good job highlighting the pros and cons and also the previous poster thank you all for enlightning i guess this is one of the reasons we have this forum in the first place, I am grateful.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by tEsLim(m): 10:41am On Nov 08, 2011
North Cyprus is not that open society! Very closed minded people with stereotype views of Nigerian. I have lived in the town of Famagusta for say 3months on and off. Like visit Nigeria in between. I'm there now to see some friends before heading out again. Shopping and lifestyle is very expensive down to the food. There is no JOB! I repeat no jobs! Or say the chances of you getting a job is minimal. You will always need support from home!

Precises of commodity is expensive compared to anywhere in the WORLD! Because 1 there is no free flow of product into the country. THe country's got UN sanctions and all that everything as to go through Turkey which is the only country that recognizes TRNC. And I'm telling you this from living in the town. Not from school boys living in the hostel and that never paid electricity of $100 a month! OR $40 for water in some places. If you stay only in the campus you might not really notice the behavior or attitude of the people. But then for real the place is not a developed country. It got stalked to 1973 when they fought war. No single shopping mall or skyscraper, big business or departmental stores. They even have a bootleg MacDonalds called BIGMAC which have just been shutdown. Same be careful shopping too they sell bootleg items. Mostly fake!!!! ANd the original stuffs are x 10 in price. Yes because of importation tax things are expensive.

But honeslty the schooling system is better than Nigeria. So if you are just there to school you should do good. And better to just live cheap in the campus. Alchohol not allowed on campus. 1 pack of cigaret goes for around 7TL say 700 naira. That can help you cut your cigarette habits into half lol

They have very poor cuisine. So make sure you come with food stuffs down to dried meats. If you have seen good life in jand, yankee or germany or even south Africa dont come this way. Its only for kids that just got outta high school straight up to college and getting money from home. This is straight up word no sugar coating and no bashing. The reality on ground. And yes its a Muslim puppet state by Turkey. And they can't join the eu or the south side till turkey troops lives the Island. As a 10 days tourist it could be fun but anything longer than that is super boredom

Thats just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by justmenoni: 2:59am On Nov 13, 2011
@poster what i will advice you is to make your research well,if you have the money you can go to turkey as you can still get part time jobs there just as you can in NC,but schools in turkey are minimum of 7.000$ yearly, but you need to be careful while in turkey especially Istanbul.but if you are looking for security i will advice NC as it is one of the safest countries in the world,what most people don't realize about going abroad isn't always about the money or the profits you make but environment as well as security and as per what the last poster said i don't agree to that, NC is an island and as per my research most islands countries don't usually have sky scrapper's and many other amenities like train services and more over the population of NC is less than 300k so why compare it to countries like SA,Jand and so on, cmon magusa,girne,lefkosia are more developed than some cities in Europe so why mislead others with info you are not sure about, anyway if you are still keen to come to NC then try emu but if you have the money and you want a cool place i mean to avoid the citylife then you can try lefke.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In North Cyprus Should I? by vicmuch: 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
I'm victor,I'll like 2 knw how possible it'll be 2 cross frm north cyprus 2 republic of cyprus. Thank you

(1)

St.kitts And Nevis (visa Free) / Enquiry About Kenya / Your First Day On A Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.