Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs (38784 Views)

Tinubu Suspends NSIPA, Coordinator Halima Shehu / Tinubu Suspends Abdulrasheed Bawa As EFCC Boss / President Tinubu Suspends Godwin Emefiele As CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 3:52pm On Jan 08
marsman:

Let me be more specific. I think I am speaking to an imb.
People protested, there were pressure from APC Gov and Northern Elders Forum against emefieles policy. Despite all this nothing was done by the president to proffer a solution to this problem.

despite a court order for him to make the process easy and efficient by allowing the use of old note along with very scarce new notes, since February2023 when emefiele implemented the currency change policy till after the emergence of president Tinubu, he blatantly refused and went ahead with is life excruciating policy.

It was eventually after the emergence of the new president that Emefiele partially considered the court order .
Even if you are deaf and dumb and oblivious of what was happening then, I am sure you are not blind. What does the below picture indicate. Protest were help indicating the excruciating effects emefieles policy was having on people, despite all this buhari did not do any thing

So the same pressure that did not help you with buhari cannot help you with Tinubu. He is simply doing it because it is the right thing to do.

is it the same way he did the right thing after the army dropped bombs on civilians in Kaduna?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 3:53pm On Jan 08
Eriokanmi:
Only Keyamo I can trust to some extent
which Keyamo?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Babangidapikin: 3:53pm On Jan 08
I know it is a difficult one but the President don't want anyone to dabaru is government ... Good one on his part ... Make she enjoy the probe ..no be only Oga Godwin waka come...
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 3:54pm On Jan 08
gaskiyamagana:

If you are right, other Ministers should have a confidant of his or her tribe among senior staff of his or her ministry. I suspect her aid who defended her that transfering of government money to private account is right.

what has this got to do with tribe and what are you suspecting her aide for?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Chizy12345: 3:54pm On Jan 08
mumu , your godfather have deceived you and you refused to used your sense
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 3:55pm On Jan 08
slivertongue:

she is gone. The someone/ someone people want her position. All the person/people needs to do is compromise close aids to give wrong advice which will be implemented. once it is done, then the aids take it to the media as anonymous. it's an old game sadly she fell for it. The people who master minded it will soon take the ministry for their people
who are the people that want her position?

are they the ones that asked to make request for 500m to credited to a private account?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Britishpea: 3:57pm On Jan 08
LesbianBoy:
Thief dey suspend thief grin grin grin grin

We joke alot in this country!

Ask yourself why she had the mind to steal in the first place? Simple because tinubu is an ole too

Will she have stolen if Peter obi was in charge? Never! tongue

You are an idiot! Is it today people steal in the government? People stole to blindness under Goodluck, under Buhari and under Obj. Infact minister Sunday Afolabi was sacked because he stole NIMC money, Tafa Balogun had to go to jail for looting and many more, under Obj.

The education most of you had was a sham. And he way most of you write on social media says a lot about your fathers, most especially. Hardly would you see an intelligent father raising a nincompoop like you.

If they pick you up and ask you to prove, what the whoever you refer to as a thief, stole, Na then we go know say you be nobody with no future.

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by psalmsjob: 3:58pm On Jan 08
Myhusband:
she goofed big time, money she suppose steal small small she won steal am once, if she had succeed, she would have end up in abroad

progress of this country is not praying solution, it's integrity driven Solution

That's it my brother....INTEGRITY....That's that DOING THE RIGHT THING EVEN WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING.... grin
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by kenny160: 4:01pm On Jan 08
Smartguyboy:
I can place a bet she will be replace by a south-west
you people obviously do not know who Tinubu is, you are just hating, you can blame him for anyother thing but beeing tribalistic? NO he is not Buhari. The man is the only Governor that welcome all tribes in his cabinet when he was a governor. So dnt talk like that again.
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Judolisco(m): 4:02pm On Jan 08
Myhusband:
she goofed big time, money she suppose steal small small she won steal am once, if she had succeed, she would have end up in abroad

progress of this country is not praying solution, it's integrity driven Solution
make she dey steal am small small arbi... Isay dis country no fit better again... See advice

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Kukutente23: 4:04pm On Jan 08
seunmsg:
The right decision considering the current circumstances. Like i have always said, the federal public service is not the private sector where the CEO can do as they like. The public service is governed by laws, rules, regulations and over one thousand extant circulars. People without public service knowledge who gets appointed as ministers and heads of agencies must be extremely careful and very cooperative with the civil servants they meet on ground or else, they will run into trouble quickly.

I like Betta Edu and really wished this did not happen to her but the serious violations observed from those approvals and the fraudulent intention behind the diversion of over N500m to a private account are too much to be ignored. I hope other newly appointed political office holders would learn from her mistake. Learn the rules before approving anything. When in doubt, seek and take the advice of the more experienced civil servants. If Betty had listened to the wise counsel of the Accountant General, she won't be in this mess.
I disagree with your thoughts on two counts.
First, it is obvious that she was did not draft the memo by herself and the Oniyelu who was supposed to be the recipient is a civil servant. So one wonders why Oniyelu did not dissuade her from the act or are you implying she did not listen to Oniyelu and went ahead to draft the memo, sign and send it to AGF?

Secondly, was the money disbursed after the AGF rejected the request? The public that has been whipped into a frenzy has not asked that very cogent question. If it was not, then your advice that she listens to civil servants seem to be dead since she still got booted out after taking to correction. I think this is more of the dark side of media trial we are seeing. If the AGF cautioned her and she accepted the correction (assuming she was not smart enough to realise the obvious anomaly), why is she still being hounded and suspended? The obvious answer is in the intra-party play between the northern CPC and ACN. She is a victim of that as i'm sure those who ratted her out did so as a fightback to the Sadiyya-Halima media hounding

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Feldie: 4:06pm On Jan 08
Irony1:

Look you guys don't understand what is at play here. That ministry since it was removed from the control of Osinbajo former VP was firmly in the grasp of the Northerners, now Tinubu came in and handed the ministry over to Betta Edu. Now the issue here is the power play between Betta and the northern power brokers in the ministry. She first fired the shot by exposing the other lady in the 44billion scandal, so they fired back by hitting her. She was so banking on the protection of BAT and Gbaja forgetting that when it comes to securing his power base in the North, BAT will hang her out to dry.
we know it's the northerners that wanted her gone. Tinubu trusted her, she should have treaded with caution. If they weren't able to find something to nail her with would there have been any reason to suspend her? They obviously hate Wike even more but they have not been able to find anything on him. You can't expect Tinubu to ruin his own image by protecting her which will also send wrong message to southern /south western appointees that he will cover them the way Buhari covered Fulanis
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by seunmsg(m): 4:09pm On Jan 08
Kukutente23:

I disagree with your thoughts on two counts.
First, it is obvious that she was did not draft the memo by herself and the Oniyelu who was supposed to be the recipient is a civil servant. So one wonders why Oniyelu did not dissuade her from the act or are you implying she did not listen to Oniyelu and went ahead to draft the memo, sign and send it to AGF?

Secondly, was the money disbursed after the AGF rejected the request? The public that has been whipped into a frenzy has not asked that very cogent question. If it was not, then your advice that she listens to civil servants seem to be dead since she still got booted out after taking to correction. I think this is more of the dark side of media trial we are seeing. If the AGF cautioned her and she accepted the correction (assuming she was not smart enough to realise the obvious anomaly), why is she still being hounded and suspended? The obvious answer is in the intra-party play between the northern CPC and ACN. She is a victim of that as i'm sure those who ratted her out did so as a fightback to the Sadiyya-Halima media hounding

If you read the press statement issued by her office, you be asking if the money was paid. AGF is not responsible for payment so the letter to the AGF was simply to legitimize the fraud. AGF saw the pitfall and correctly advised her not to pay into the project accountant's private account. She ignore the advise and went ahead to pay. If the money was not paid, there won't be any noise or anything to investigate.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Allisgud: 4:11pm On Jan 08
This one go still dey collect steady salary after giving him head
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by marsman: 4:16pm On Jan 08
lexy2014:

1. which court did Emefiele ignore?

2. how was the issue finally resolved?

3. who asked Emefiele to start the cash swap policy which you say buhari did not ask him to stop?
1. Supreme court(highest court in the land)
2. Answered
3. Buhari approved the bill presented to him by the CBN gov. While implementing the Bill, the supreme court( with the highest authority in the land) ruled that the old note should be released and accepted as a legal tender.

The CBN ignored this rule

The president was pressured through protest and by his fellow politicians to interfere and directly order the CBN Gov to stop in order to cement the ruling of the court. He seemed unwilling to. The CBN gov continued to act on his own till the emergence of the new president after which he stopped partially.

Now, back to my point. The public pressure you claim, could not control buhari. Same way it can't control Tinubu. He is simply doing it because it is right.
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Kukutente23: 4:18pm On Jan 08
seunmsg:

If you read the press statement issued by her office, you be asking if the money was paid. AGF is not responsible for payment so the letter to the AGF was simply to legitimize the fraud. AGF saw the pitfall and correctly advised her not to pay into the project accountant's private account. She ignore the advise and went ahead to pay. If the money was not paid, there won't be any noise or anything to investigate.
Ok. Thanx for the update. The press statement issued by her office was neither here nor there. The dude who issued the statement seemed to want to hang on the fact that it is a fightback (which it seems) rather than the facts of the matter.
Meanwhile, I hope you agree with me that civil servants are also complicit in the matter
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by ayo2008: 4:19pm On Jan 08
I hope is not Audio suspension?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by tunde1200(m): 4:19pm On Jan 08
progress of this country is not a praying solution, it's integrity driven Solution.

Thanks my presido
Thank you Jagaban Oko iyawon.
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by seunmsg(m): 4:26pm On Jan 08
Kukutente23:

Ok. Thanx for the update. The press statement issued by her office was neither here nor there. The dude who issued the statement seemed to want to hang on the fact that it is a fightback (which it seems) rather than the facts of the matter.
Meanwhile, I hope you agree with me that civil servants are also complicit in the matter

I am not here to defend civil servants. They are far more corrupt than the politicians. My advice is to inexperienced folks recently appointed to various political offices. Ministers have done worse than the suspended Humanitarian Affairs Minister and they got away with it because they listened to and cooperated with the civil servants around them. The easiest way for a political appointee to run into trouble is to have issues with the top civil servants in the MDA. If you look at the letter sent to the AGF for payment, you would notice it was signed by the Minister. That's the first sign of trouble. Such letters are normally signed by the PS on behalf of the minster. That the letter originated from her desk and she signed it herself shows clearly that the PS was not in the picture or deliberately distanced himself from the transaction. Now, she will have to bear the brunt alone.

3 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by frog12: 4:29pm On Jan 08
just like that former head of service. winfred OYO-ITA that too bribes of 3 billion.
they act like they are smart and clean. why infact they deceive everyone grin grin grin

Pravedk:
The moment I saw the news I know she is a goner.

If you know Tinubu well you'd know that he'll use her to set an example.

Whether for the glam or he meant it is another thing.

I'm sure the woman didn't make use of seasoned civil servants. They will tell her writing to the AGF in that instance is a wrong move.

However two things are clear:
1. She blew the cover of the social investment hajiya under her that stole 44Billion, the hajiya or her people in turn blew her nyash.

A loss loss for two thieves.

2. Beta Edu is probably the kind of oga that steals and act as if he/she is the cleanest- those types civil servants will deal with. If you a thieving minister, eat, let the civil servants under you eat.

You never know how those officers can secure files very well if they are carried along in the stealing. Small investigation and fire will burn the whole office. No try a well oiled civil servant.

For those of you that are thinking why I'm i talking as of it's ok to steal in Govt.

Let me kindly remind you that Nigeria is a crime scene grin

I dedicate shegiya banza by Muhammadu Buhari to her. Great jam, make she use the lyrics hold body
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by IamAtikulate: 4:34pm On Jan 08
Buhari would never have done that.

Well done Tinubu

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 4:34pm On Jan 08
marsman:

1. Supreme court(highest court in the land)
2. Answered
3. Buhari approved the bill presented to him by the CBN gov. While implementing the Bill, the supreme court( with the highest authority in the land) ruled that the old note should be released and accepted as a legal tender.

The CBN ignored this rule

The president was pressured through protest and by his fellow politicians to interfere and directly order the CBN Gov to stop in order to cement the ruling of the court. He seemed unwilling to. The CBN gov continued to act on his own till the emergence of the new president after which he stopped partially.

Now, back to my point. The public pressure you claim, could not control buhari. Same way it can't control Tinubu. He is simply doing it because it is right.

1. did the CBN comply with that supreme court order?

kindly show me where u answered this question.

3. Which bill did Buhari approve? does Buhari have power to approve any bill and does the CBN governor presents bills?

4. which ruling did the CBN ignore and can you give me the date of this SC ruling?

5. according to you..."The public pressure you claim, could not control buhari".

can you show me where I made this claim?

6. you also said that "He (Tinubu) is simply doing it because it is right".

is that the same way he did the right thing when the army dropped bombs on civilians?
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by RayRay06677(m): 4:38pm On Jan 08
DARLINGTON869:

What point are you trying to prove. If she wasn't suspended you will complain waaaaaaaa. Now she has been suspended, you are still talking waaaaaaaaa

It's not shocking that you can't comprehend a few line essay.

The fact remains that the govt SLEPT and will still be SLEEPING with corruption
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Kukutente23: 4:48pm On Jan 08
seunmsg:

I am not here to defend civil servants. They are far more corrupt than the politicians. My advice is to inexperienced folks recently appointed to various political offices. Ministers have done worse than the suspended Humanitarian Affairs Minister and they got away with it because they listened to and cooperated with the civil servants around them. The easiest way for a political appointee to run into trouble is to have issues with the top civil servants in the MDA. If you look at the letter sent to the AGF for payment, you would notice it was signed by the Minister. That's the first sign of trouble. Such letters are normally signed by the PS on behalf of the minster. That the letter originated from her desk and she signed it herself shows clearly that the PS was not in the picture or deliberately distanced himself from the transaction. Now, she will have to bear the brunt alone.
I don't agree that civil servants are more corrupt than politicians. They simply enable the corrupt intent of politicians.
That said, one wonders what the orientation retreat carried out for the Ministers was all about if Betta Edu did not realise that the PS is actually the chief accounting officer of the ministry.
Secondly, like I earlier pointed out, someone would have brought the letter to her to sign. It is that someone who set the trap for her. Is it a member of her team? I think not since the Bridget Oniyelu is a civil servant. As I said, she was ignorant of workings of govt and just thought she could sign anything that comes to her table as long as those around her OK it.
It is also instructive that a ministry birthed by APC, the anti-corruptioon party has now become synonymous with corruption. There's a document making the rounds that shows the internal affairs minister getting a contract from same ministry. So, it is obvious those in the inner circle already have an idea what purpose the ministry serves.
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by marsman: 4:49pm On Jan 08
lexy2014:

3. Which bill did Buhari approve? does Buhari have power to approve any bill and does the CBN governor presents bills?

4. which ruling did the CBN ignore and can you give me the date of this SC ruling?

5. according to you..."The public pressure you claim, could not control buhari".

is that the same way he did the right thing when the army dropped bombs on civilians?
The CBN Act of 2007 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria charges the Bank with the overall control and administration of the monetary and financial sector policies of the Federal Government.

A bill in this case can be compared to a proposal. The CBN gov presented a proposal concerning the monetary policy of the country, the president approved and that is where it all started.
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by Itiskdg121(m): 4:55pm On Jan 08
Bullion Van
LesbianBoy:
Thief dey suspend thief grin grin grin grin

We joke alot in this country!

Ask yourself why she had the mind to steal in the first place? Simple because tinubu is an ole too

Will she have stolen if Peter obi was in charge? Never! tongue
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 4:56pm On Jan 08
marsman:

The CBN Act of 2007 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria charges the Bank with the overall control and administration of the monetary and financial sector policies of the Federal Government.

A bill in this case can be compared to a proposal. The CBN gov presented a proposal concerning the monetary policy of the country, the president approved and that is where it all started.

a bill cannot be compared to a proposal. a bill is a bill and a proposal is a proposal. meanwhile,

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lightwind(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08
That woman that lies with all her power. Woman be feeling like fly as if she's untouchable in Nigeria as if she's above the law. I just don't like that woman at all.

She worked very hard for APC during their campaigns.
And she's also a lying machine for APC
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by marsman: 5:06pm On Jan 08
lexy2014:

a bill cannot be compared to a proposal. a bill is a bill and a proposal is a proposal. meanwhile,

*in this case. In the context I used it. A bill is a synonym for a proposal Oga. Or do I need to refer you to Oxford dictionary. The president can either approve or disapprove. The difference between this one and the one that goes through the house is that this one is in the hands of the CBN given the power conferred to him by the constitution as the all in all when it comes to monetary affairs of the country. It dosent need to go through any house, he simply has to take it to the president for approval
Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by omohayek: 5:06pm On Jan 08
Deadlytruth:
. This is exactly the comment I wanted to make on seeing this topic on Front Page.
The fact that the youngest of all the ministers just appointed is the first to be nailed for sleaze should be enough evidence that this recentl fixation with cumpulsory youthful takeover of power is baseless and that age bears no correlation with ability to govern well.
You have to see the issue through another lens. The reasoning behind all the clamor for "youth" is not because those screaming about it are concerned with good governance, but because they feel it's past time they had "their turn" at the feeding trough. That "turn by turn" mentality is all there is to it, as truly public-minded Nigerians are as rare as hen's teeth.

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Suspends Betta Edu, Minister Of Humanitarian Affairs by lexy2014: 5:08pm On Jan 08
marsman:

*in this case. In the context I used it. A bill is a synonym for a proposal Oga. Or do I need to refer you to Oxford dictionary. The president can either approve or disapprove. The difference between this one and the one that goes through the house is that this one is in the hands of the CBN given the power conferred to him by the constitution as the all in all when it comes to monetary affairs of the country. It dosent need to go through any house, he simply has to take it to the president for approval

which bill is in the hands of the CBN?

how is a bill synonymous with a proposal?

which one goes thru the house? which house does it go thru?

meanwhile,

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NLC Blocks Lagos Airport Road, Commuters Stranded / Aisha Buhari & Jefferson Bribery: Fayose Revives Aisha's 'Role' / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail: Fani-Kayode Blocked From Entering Court By Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.