Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,466 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor (12354 Views)

If You Had Known This Earlier, I Believe You Wouldn't Spend Lavishly / Risevest’s CEO, Eke Urum, Found Guilty Of Sexual Impropriety And Abuse Of Power / Opay Risks Ban As Report Finds Them Guilty Of Offering "Crazy Loans" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Agunesinjaweola: 1:36pm On Jan 09
You've got to enjoy occasionally irrespective of what people are going through.
You cannot eradicate poverty but can help in your little ways for those in need.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Hardebaryor(m): 1:38pm On Jan 09
I am not the type that will answer this question because I have not reached there.

By the way who can dash me 5M naira. 8147329288. opay. God bless that person abundantly
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by fineboynl(m): 1:41pm On Jan 09
Poor people have a mindset of hating the rich.

Many believe they are poor because you are rich.
Some believe that every rich people are ritualist.
Poor people are happy when the rich becomes poor.
Every youth that is rich is a yahoo plus.
If you help the poor with cash for business and the business failed they will tag it evil money.

During the last election when we try to save the country by liberating it from darkness. Rich states like abuja, lagos, rivers, dalta, edo e.t.c where on the far front wasting their time. While the poorer states, like ekiti, kano, borno, benue said no. So what can the rich do? Just leave them to their problem.

Despite buhari government was the worst in Nigeria it was my best period in Nigeria. Similar thing will happen this Tinubu time. But for the sake of poor Nigerians we fight tooth and Neil to unseat buhari during the second term same thing with last election but the poor people didn’t show any concern of the future of this country.

So I don’t feel pity for any poor Nigerians anymore. I enjoy with no guilt.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Lifemanage: 1:41pm On Jan 09
tosinhtml:
Extremely NOT.

I used to be that person that over show poor people kindness, but recently I have realised that poor people see what you have and believe you don't deserve it, they look at you & ask themselves why they are not in your position. Anytime someone notices my freehandedness in giving out money, they always try to come up with issues from the family that is of no business of mine just to syphon money out of me.

Today their mother has a broken leg, tomorrow their sister is pregnant but doesn't have money to pay for hospital bills, next tomorrow their Dad is in the hospital and needs 250k for surgery. Their needs are endless.

I still have an open hand to giving to the poor but strategically, I do it to buy loyalty now because the only thing the Nigerian system understands is MONEY.

During Xenophobia retaliation attacks in Jakande Lekki, I saw poor people looting out franchised Shop Rite and their usual tone & consensus was that the Rich owns the place, they buy from there. Why should they be able to purchase those things while we are not able to do the same. I saw old women in their 50s, Men, Ladies & other able bodied men loot electronics and goods from honest people's market with an excuse that they are poor. Random big cars on the road in Jakande were attacked & the excuse was that they are rich, they are the ones stealing Nigerians money.

The poor lives on survival instinct, I can never feel guilty for enjoying the riches God gave me & also from the work I did.

Let them go & work!
True talk. Most poor people in Nigeria have a very wicked mindset. So I feel no guilt enjoying wealth. Interview then in matters of life and death where decisions are to be made and u will see why most poor people are poor
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Akano5(m): 1:42pm On Jan 09
Sleekfingers:
Why would I feel guilty spending my money? I give the less privilege when I feel like. I don't owe them anything.........
I will rather send money to the poor in Haiti, south Sudan, Malawi and Nepal......than to give any Nigeria.

so sad
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by fineboynl(m): 1:44pm On Jan 09
StrongAlphMale:
As a man you need to feel guilty spending on a Nigerian parasite knowing fully well that your mom and sisters are there.

How you can even spend on a girl who cannot spend on you in return baffles me. The question is "what would she give back in return aside her over used kpekpus" ?

Dating a Nigerian girl is the most 3rd foolish thing on earth.
i have developed an habit. Before i send any girl money i will first send to my mom or sister times two of that money before i send her.

If you send ur sister money she will never forget it. But send to a girl she will just forget about it few minutes

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by barinedan(m): 1:44pm On Jan 09
The only guilt I feel is spending on things I don't really need, it is good to help the poor and I do that within my capability, but the truth is you cannot help everyone. I have to spend on myself first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by TheWinterBird(f): 1:45pm On Jan 09
I work for my money, so why should I not spend? Most of my big spendings last year were gifts (a trip to another country, an amazing blender and juicer, an expensive certification) were given to me anyway, so I didn't spend a dime of my own money on them, but I would've done these things myself if I needed to. Those are the types of things I spend money on anyway: wellness, healthy-eating/food, trips/adventure, education. I wouldn't consider these lavish spending as they benefit me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Akano5(m): 1:49pm On Jan 09
those commenters generalizing the poor people mentality, but, you guys should remember people are not always the same..

i have been finding help on NL since last year december to get an android phone to learn copywriting, nobody look at my way at all -- it's their choices anyway.

i blamed our corrupt government officials for this, they hate the citizens with passion.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by tosinhtml: 1:49pm On Jan 09
Klass99:

Lol 🤣. I enjoyed reading this. Was it the xenophobic retaliation attacks that led to mass looting at Osapa Jakande? I thought it was the end SARS protests and toll gate shootings that caused that.

Yeah, they looted ShopRite in both Jakande and Sangotedo in Sep 2019, and also during endsars in oct 2020. So twice.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Kaycee54321(m): 1:52pm On Jan 09
The way you people are speaking about poor people like me, dey pain my soul.

It's discrimination akin to tribalism, racism and religious intolerance.

We are not all hateful beings, please.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Faithful007: 1:58pm On Jan 09
A305:
Op, for you to come up with this topic. It means you are very privileged and comfortable in life. However back to the topic.

Yes, sometimes the rich feel a sense of guilt when they spend lavishly knowing fully well there are lots of people that will feed on their excess expenditure, this is why many resort to church donations, charity donations, Radom act of kindness online/offline, secret donation and give away, celebrating their birthday in hospital, charity homes, motherless homes and donation.

Not all rich folks thinks this way though, rich people who grew up in penury, squalor and in poverty are the once who thinks this way.

People who grew up in wealth barely thinks this way; they experience life as a different class and level because they haven't tasted poverty before— yes most trust fund wealthy kids are overtly classist.

By experience I can tell you that this is quite opposite of reality.

People who grew in wealth tend to be more compassionate than those who grew up without. It isn't an absolute thing but this occurs more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by BRATISLAVA: 2:04pm On Jan 09
Klass99:
No, I don't feel guilty because;

1. I don't spend lavishly rather I spend sensibly and modestly.

2. I am more generous and free with money, than I am with my time and space! Unexpected and random acts of kindness via cash gifts is not a big deal for me. I don't need to know you, if I sense in my spirit to gift someone money I don't hesistate.

3. I earn every naira and kobo I make through honest means, so spending what I legitimately earn doesn't make me feel guilty because others lack or are poor. I am not a rogue politician stealing public funds for personal use why should I feel guilty?

4. In certain cases our life choices create our circumstances. Folks with four or more kids who are poor or struggling do not impact me negatively to a point where I feel guilty about spending my money. I no follow them straff the straff wey born those children, I no send them message.

They make life choices which negatively impacts others, whereas you make choices that don't affect them in a bad way. However, they form the habit of repeatedly using their reggae to spoil your blues.

Why does your spirit never sense me?
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Warmaterial(m): 2:08pm On Jan 09
Righthussle:
Ask pulpit bandits that steal from the gullible to buy private jets and luxury cars.

Ask the thieves that go about collecting money from the gullible claiming they are working for the maker of the universe only to use the money to build expensive schools.
Alaye lower the mike small...lol
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by iamjavadem(m): 2:09pm On Jan 09
Seems you are not ready to enjoy your life. If those poor people were rich, will they send you? Better enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by oyeb15: 2:14pm On Jan 09
Dirty money is meant to be spent lavishly
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by casualobserver: 2:15pm On Jan 09
sukkot:
Like you go out to eat all the time and it's in nice restaurants and the bill comes to 10,000 etc etc maybe even more. Do you feel guilty knowing that many are hungry or do you just accept that in life there are levels. Make Everyman dey Hin own level. My own level na to eat 10k food while him own level na to eat 200 naira food . Should you feel guilty ?

do the poor feel guilty for being poor?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by yemmit90: 2:20pm On Jan 09
tosinhtml:
Extremely NOT.

I used to be that person that over show poor people kindness, but recently I have realised that poor people see what you have and believe you don't deserve it, they look at you & ask themselves why they are not in your position. Anytime someone notices my freehandedness in giving out money, they always try to come up with issues from the family that is of no business of mine just to syphon money out of me.

Today their mother has a broken leg, tomorrow their sister is pregnant but doesn't have money to pay for hospital bills, next tomorrow their Dad is in the hospital and needs 250k for surgery. Their needs are endless.

I still have an open hand to giving to the poor but strategically, I do it to buy loyalty now because the only thing the Nigerian system understands is MONEY.

During Xenophobia retaliation attacks in Jakande Lekki, I saw poor people looting out franchised Shop Rite and their usual tone & consensus was that the Rich owns the place, they buy from there. Why should they be able to purchase those things while we are not able to do the same. I saw old women in their 50s, Men, Ladies & other able bodied men loot electronics and goods from honest people's market with an excuse that they are poor. Random big cars on the road in Jakande were attacked & the excuse was that they are rich, they are the ones stealing Nigerians money.

The poor lives on survival instinct, I can never feel guilty for enjoying the riches God gave me & also from the work I did.

Let them go & work!

That is why we must collectively create enabling society where every human will have access to basic needs of humans existence. There is no particular behaviour that is peculiar to poor or rich people. Poor people dislike their conditions, and always strive so hard to be like rich. Rich people on the other hands enjoy the privilege of being rich, and therefore do whatever in their capacity not to be like poor. What we called hatred or arrogance sometimes is a product of conflicting interest between the two social classes.

My point is that, people are the same, what make them different is resources in their pocession. A rich man who think a poor man is foolish and aggressive today, can also do the same if he become poor. A poor man who think a rich man is arrogance today can also do the same if he become rich. The most important thing is to have egalitarian society where everyone will have at least access to basic needs, and that is when the rich and the poor will co-exist peacefully.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by dododawa1: 2:22pm On Jan 09
My

GUILTY / PITY

Don dey

Carrying me

go

Mr DEBT
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:24pm On Jan 09
flexyrule:
Lol

In the first place, how do you even spend lavishly when you're poor?

You didn't even say "when you're broke".

Go back and read the post and try to understand it

Don't prove the guy that said yesterday that Nigerians don't read right
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by merbenko: 2:25pm On Jan 09
Please because of God I need a help of any dine to support my self and my family , may God bless you,.

Opay
Benjamin Musa
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Saviola86: 2:29pm On Jan 09
No. You have to live your life and have the reward of your Labour.

The brain has a way of functioning and if after grinding hard you don’t reward yourself, the brain isn’t open to see more opportunities or make you enjoy the work you do.

Let’s say you do business and make N200k daily, sometimes reward yourself buy spending big on yourself forgetting other people or problems around. When you do so the brain is activated to make you think that you can actually make N500k and buy more.

Even Jesus allowed Mary to pour expensive perfumes on him and when Judas queried him for wasting such expensive perfumes when they could have sold it and use the money to help the poor. Jesus responded that the poor we will always have. Poor people no Dey finish.

For me what I do is that, I spend most part of the year saving, solving problems, attending to family issues and help friends. But once it gets to November, every money that comes in, I spend all on myself, go out with my woman and this I do all through November and December ( I don’t save a dime)

Then January the hustling , goodwill, saving and investing begins
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by ednut1(m): 2:29pm On Jan 09
No, you can’t save everyone
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by mikmash(m): 2:30pm On Jan 09
I've nevered spent 10k on a sitting. Soon I will get extremely rich like most of y'all here throwing comments then I might understand. But until then, with my widows mite I will give out in whatever way I can. Someone taught me something "make sure one person tells you thank you everyday"
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Shikena(m): 2:31pm On Jan 09
What you spend keeps businesses afloat and pays the salary of those who prefer to work instead of begging! It also encourages innovation and business expansion.

Spend your money with full chest, patronize hardworking local businesses, and buy Nigeria. If you have extra, tip workers generously!

Enough with pandering to lazy beggers and smart fraudsters and their endless schemes. You are asked to help the poor and the needy, not the smart and the greedy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Focusmind: 2:33pm On Jan 09
It happens.....I do experience that sometimes but I am not an extravagant person. In my house, there is no food waste. If you try it, na me and you that day. Some of my relatives that comes for holidays are guilty of this......you will go to the kitchen after each meal, you will see some left over foods on the plate. I had to ask them whether they didn't know the quantity they could finish? Same with bread, you will see some leftover slices. It's now a rule......Once you come, you will be read the rules and regulations. People are hungry and are on the streets. There should not be any waste. However, once in a while, I indulge myself in what I like to eat, wear, visit or to provide comfort to myself without considering anything. At least, I have to enjoy my hardwork.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by insabarnur(m): 2:39pm On Jan 09
Nice question for madam Farouk and.mis Edu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by optimusprime2(m): 2:41pm On Jan 09
That's almost like saying do you feel guilty working hard when you know many people are lazy...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Zeezenho: 2:42pm On Jan 09
I dont feel guilty when i was working for it. Igbo proverb goes like this dirt hands brings oily mouth.

Every worker merit their wage.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Blankstare(m): 2:43pm On Jan 09
It's a tight situation. 'But the life of abject poverty was created from the will of God'.

For instance when I enter eatery, I make sure I don't spend more than 5k per sitting, I came from a poor home, even though God Don bless me small I remember prudency and frugality from my Dad.

Poverty in Nigeria and Africa is real than imagined, our forefathers didn't do much on food science and agro allied, the colonialist tried their best but the post colonial African leaders like Betty edu were demonds in human form.

We must conquer hunger first, else we will never be free from the rapacious poverty ravaging our land. We must reach the extent of buying one full roasted chicken for (#,300), less than a dollar.....hence, food security and sufficiency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by YesGodcan(m): 2:45pm On Jan 09
Hello senior man,

Help me uffset my "easy buy" bill na, I got an itel s23 and paid 50k. Na 33k remain and I broke now like broken bottle grin
Thanks and remain blessed 🙏

A305:
Op, for you to come up with this topic. It means you are very privileged and comfortable in life. However back to the topic.

Yes, sometimes the rich feel a sense of guilt when they spend lavishly knowing fully well there are lots of people that will feed on their excess expenditure, this is why many resort to church donations, charity donations, Radom act of kindness online/offline, secret donation and give away, celebrating their birthday in hospital, charity homes, motherless homes and donation.

Not all rich folks thinks this way though, rich people who grew up in penury, squalor and in poverty are the once who thinks this way.

People who grew up in wealth barely thinks this way; they experience life as a different class and level because they haven't tasted poverty before— yes most trust fund wealthy kids are overtly classist.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by EvangelistChuks(m): 2:49pm On Jan 09
The Kingdom way is to love your neighbor .This is true Christianity,that you VISIT[deliberate action] the poor-[James 1:27].

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit 3-year High At $33.112 Billion / Lagosians Have 8 Days To Pay Their Taxes Or Face Prosecution / Fire Tazes Edo State Spare Parts Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.