Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,471 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor (12318 Views)

If You Had Known This Earlier, I Believe You Wouldn't Spend Lavishly / Risevest’s CEO, Eke Urum, Found Guilty Of Sexual Impropriety And Abuse Of Power / Opay Risks Ban As Report Finds Them Guilty Of Offering "Crazy Loans" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by yusufu16: 12:50pm On Jan 09
The world doesn't owe you anything and you owe nobody anything in this world

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Golan007: 12:51pm On Jan 09
I remember when I wanted to buy a pair of trainers for a crazy amount relative to people's income.

It does bother.

angry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by gadgetplanetng: 12:51pm On Jan 09
No.

Spending money allows the money circulate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Crossbow(m): 12:52pm On Jan 09
I am not in a comfortable place in life but with the little I make, I sometimes try to give myself a treat. Even the poor can afford what I do for myself on those days but I still feel guilty. My only consolation is that I am not in anyway the cause of their problem and I am in no way contributing to it. After all I came from it and I am still struggling through it.

Like stated above, many poor people hate the rich and even hold them to contempt. They somehow believe they are the cause of their misfortune. I was never in that league.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Watinhapen(m): 12:53pm On Jan 09
If you feel guilty spending your money then you probably didn’t work hard for it. Everybody can’t be rich, that’s why there’re poor people. Don’t feel guilty spending your own money anyhow you like. You can help the poor whenever and however you can.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by prophetic69(m): 12:57pm On Jan 09
sukkot:
Like you go out to eat all the time and it's in nice restaurants and the bill comes to 10,000 etc etc maybe even more. Do you feel guilty knowing that many are hungry or do you just accept that in life there are levels. Make Everyman dey Hin own level. My own level na to eat 10k food while him own level na to eat 200 naira food . Should you feel guilty ?
do you feel guilty for being alive while some are dead?

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Alexlalax1(m): 12:57pm On Jan 09
A lot of Nigerians deserves to be poor. No apologies!!! When we see the right things and decide to do the opposite because of our religion and tribal sentiments. No remorse for even some street beggars now. The country is bringing out the beast in me. I make money now, I lavish it any how I want. After all I Hussle very very hard to make the doe!!!

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by ukaface(f): 12:59pm On Jan 09
No
I don’t
I worked for the money
There are richer people than me, I don’t think they feel pity over people like me. Them Dey ball, Dey flex
So why I can’t I be like them with my small change

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Sleekfingers: 1:00pm On Jan 09
Why would I feel guilty spending my money? I give the less privilege when I feel like. I don't owe them anything.........
I will rather send money to the poor in Haiti, south Sudan, Malawi and Nepal......than to give any Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by loswhite(m): 1:03pm On Jan 09
tosinhtml:
Extremely NOT.

I used to be that person that over show poor people kindness, but recently I have realised that poor people see what you have and believe you don't deserve it, they look at you & ask themselves why they are not in your position. Anytime someone notices my freehandedness in giving out money, they always try to come up with issues from the family that is of no business of mine just to syphon money out of me.

Today their mother has a broken leg, tomorrow their sister is pregnant but doesn't have money to pay for hospital bills, next tomorrow their Dad is in the hospital and needs 250k for surgery. Their needs are endless.

I still have an open hand to giving to the poor but strategically, I do it to buy loyalty now because the only thing the Nigerian system understands is MONEY.

During Xenophobia retaliation attacks in Jakande Lekki, I saw poor people looting out franchised Shop Rite and their usual tone & consensus was that the Rich owns the place, they buy from there. Why should they be able to purchase those things while we are not able to do the same. I saw old women in their 50s, Men, Ladies & other able bodied men loot electronics and goods from honest people's market with an excuse that they are poor. Random big cars on the road in Jakande were attacked & the excuse was that they are rich, they are the ones stealing Nigerians money.

The poor lives on survival instinct, I can never feel guilty for enjoying the riches God gave me & also from the work I did.

Let them go & work!
How is shoprite for the rich......lol. looting has nothing to do with the poor, even the rich politicians are still looting till date. Giving the opportunity ppl will loot.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Pinicop(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09
Bullshit

This question is not for me.

Bullshit
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Akalia(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09
tosinhtml:
Extremely NOT.

I used to be that person that over show poor people kindness, but recently I have realised that poor people see what you have and believe you don't deserve it, they look at you & ask themselves why they are not in your position. Anytime someone notices my freehandedness in giving out money, they always try to come up with issues from the family that is of no business of mine just to syphon money out of me.

Today their mother has a broken leg, tomorrow their sister is pregnant but doesn't have money to pay for hospital bills, next tomorrow their Dad is in the hospital and needs 250k for surgery. Their needs are endless.

I still have an open hand to giving to the poor but strategically, I do it to buy loyalty now because the only thing the Nigerian system understands is MONEY.

During Xenophobia retaliation attacks in Jakande Lekki, I saw poor people looting out franchised Shop Rite and their usual tone & consensus was that the Rich owns the place, they buy from there. Why should they be able to purchase those things while we are not able to do the same. I saw old women in their 50s, Men, Ladies & other able bodied men loot electronics and goods from honest people's market with an excuse that they are poor. Random big cars on the road in Jakande were attacked & the excuse was that they are rich, they are the ones stealing Nigerians money.

The poor lives on survival instinct, I can never feel guilty for enjoying the riches God gave me & also from the work I did.

Let them go & work!

Everything you said up there made sense and morally acceptable but the part you said "let them go and work" did sound arrogant, callous, and insensitive to the plight of those in that needy category. Most of them are actually working very hard and smart even harder and smarter than you but for some reasons beyond them they do not have the privilege that you are enjoying. Even you yourself can be needy someday, maybe not in the material sense of it.

See, in life all fingers are not equal so my advice to you sir is, don't hesitate to help the needy who have genuine material needs. Don't presume that the needy are lazy beggars and lastly, be modest about how you enjoy your privilege.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by rickleye: 1:05pm On Jan 09
sukkot:
Like you go out to eat all the time and it's in nice restaurants and the bill comes to 10,000 etc etc maybe even more. Do you feel guilty knowing that many are hungry or do you just accept that in life there are levels. Make Everyman dey Hin own level. My own level na to eat 10k food while him own level na to eat 200 naira food . Should you feel guilty ?

1. Nope, it is not my role or duty to take care of the poor. That’s the government and corporations and NGO role to do that.

2. If there is someone in my circle who is hardworking and needs a little push and is genuine and I have, I will assist.

3. I used to give to those who clean your windshield at a stop sign as I felt bad. But he doesn’t recognize you and will beg you again when you drive by. Giving in this way does not solve the problem but rather perpetuate the cycle that you don’t have to work to eat /get money - just beg. Plus they pay no taxes . So monkey dey work baboon they chop.

4. What is your definition of rich cause I am certainly not dangote nor the lowest of the rich. I am just a regular Joe so middle class earner .

In summary - no I do not feel guilty at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by africandollar: 1:05pm On Jan 09
Ol’boy you better continue to enjoy your life without apology! Were you the one that made them poor or are you Tinubucally connected to the sorry state of the economy? See, even if you divide all your wealth to the poor na those same poor people go still come betray you tomorrow so abeg just do the little charity you can do, thank God for his blessings and continue to pray for more of that while you enjoy your life. Reminds me of that song…

bamu bamu la yo,
Awa o mo boya ebi n pa omo eni kan kan,
bamu bamu la yo.

grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Harnny(m): 1:06pm On Jan 09
And you are asking this question on Nairaland?... you seem to overrated the people here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by COMPAQ(m): 1:08pm On Jan 09
Klass99:

Lol 🤣. I enjoyed reading this. Was it the xenophobic retaliation attacks that led to mass looting at Osapa Jakande? I thought it was the end SARS protests and toll gate shootings that caused that.

The Shoprite has been looted twice! First was Xenephpbic protest, but that one wasn't really severe looting. In fact it was more of just vandalization of some of the infrastructure there. But the end SARS one was MASSIVE looting. As in, they broke into most of the shops there and carried away electronics etc. Lekki Circle mall was shut down for over 2 years because of this. It just reopened last year July or so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by pocohantas(f): 1:09pm On Jan 09
I used to, but not anymore.

I would find it hard to splurge on a new dress, but would easily pay the fees of someone's child. The next week they are back for something else.

I had to sit and think about it deeply.
I work for this money legally and honourably, why is it so hard for me to indulge myself, but I spend a lot on others.

I quickly advised myself and it is best decision I have made. Enjoyment wan nearly kill me.

I still give, but you can't blackmail me into giving. I give after I have taken care of myself. You can't tell me not to buy iPhone 15 because millions of Nigerians haven't eaten. I am not FG, neither am I WHO or UNICEF.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by qtx(m): 1:11pm On Jan 09
Solofresh2:
The only guilts I feel is for myself and my mum in the sense that, overspending knowing fully well that I don't have much with me at that period of time then,spending and having it in mind if my mum is financially secured because she is all have got for now.I can't really feel guilty because I worked for the money so the money I spent is not from charity.
I do charity when I feel I should.
What about your dad? Or does he not need money? mum, mum , mum everywhere , how about dads? na wa o. We men hmmmm
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Unclebayo(m): 1:12pm On Jan 09
Akalia:

Everything you said up there made sense and morally acceptable but the part you said "let them go and work" did sound arrogant, callous, and insensitive to the plight of those in that needy category. Most of them are actually working very hard and smart even harder and smarter than you but for some reasons beyond them they do not have the privilege that you are enjoying. Even you yourself can be needy someday, maybe not in the material sense of it.

See, in life all fingers are not equal so my advice to you sir is, don't hesitate to help the needy who have genuine material needs. Don't presume that the needy are lazy beggars and lastly, be modest about how you enjoy your privilege.
This 💚
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:15pm On Jan 09
God forbid,I work hard and I ball hard.if you wana ball like me hustle too.There were times i ate only garri for a whole day ,who send me?who know me?.Omo ,I no send o.infact like this,i am waiting for alert mk i go eat some junks.then probably club on friday.Na my money.i do with it as I please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Procarpenter: 1:16pm On Jan 09
Yeah I feel more guilty.. may god provide for the poor people and in all ways don’t forget to help the poorest because god make you rich for you to help others… help as much you can wisely…..

Meaning while I’m available for your wood roofing and I install all kind of roofing sheet with warranty and I give out 20% discount on all my work…. Contact me through my signature below call or WhatsApp me check my profile….
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Justkatty(f): 1:16pm On Jan 09
Yours is even spending lavishly sadmine is that I can pick up a quarrel if I see anyone wasting water angry maybe because of what I went through in a particular state that I visited and people there, trekking miles to go get drinkable water not that the water was even clean.
If you're privileged to have a good life, always be grateful.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Kimjongun: 1:17pm On Jan 09
I used to feel bad sometimes ago whenever I remember my elder brother was still struggling. Sometimes when I go out or spend large, not necessarily lavishly. I used to feel bad in fact my mood will change whenever I remember about my brother. I know how much we suffered together. I felt it's not good that I am living on excess with my girlfriend while my brother still struggles. I couldn't shoulder it.

Last year I used a large chunk of my savings to set him up. He is now doing very fine. My brother is very disciplined he make use of the investment very well. Last December when I met him he is looking very fresh and enjoying life in his own way too. I was so happy and proud of him and myself. It is like that was my best decision in 2023.

About other people, I know I can't help everyone, if I try I won't be able to sustain it. I can only focus on myself and what I can change.

I will also not be a stumbling block to whoever is trying to achieve their success legally and fairly.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by EmekaBlue(m): 1:18pm On Jan 09
Many Nigerians are poor no be anybody cause am but bad government. Allow who get money enjoy his/her money in peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by WhereMyLoud: 1:18pm On Jan 09
Give from your heart.. Enjoy yourself. God will bless you even more.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Isokoboy(m): 1:18pm On Jan 09
This question na for pple wen don chop bellyful
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Mikespecialone(m): 1:19pm On Jan 09
Guilty not, but I do give out when am sufficient and not because the person am giving is broke but because I know how it feels to be broke
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Emman08: 1:24pm On Jan 09
Yes! Family members are without jobs. Spend lavishly for where?
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by YoshihideSuga: 1:28pm On Jan 09
No.

I believe everyone should work for their money and spend however they like. If anyone doesn't like how much I spend on food, the person should work for his/her money and spend any amount s/he likes on food.

The right to choose, not the right to dictate.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by abuhusna1: 1:30pm On Jan 09
No one needs to feel guilty spending what he has earned from his hard work but don't show off your over fed stomach in front of an hungry many.
Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by brain54(m): 1:31pm On Jan 09
Sincerely I do feel guilty most times...

Especially towards family members!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Feel Guilty Spending Lavishly Knowing Many Are Poor by Thoughty2(m): 1:34pm On Jan 09
tosinhtml:
Extremely NOT.

Let them go & work!

I don't condemn you for not feeling any form of guilt when you are spending but your last statement was somewhat insensiitive. Don't think poor people are always Lazy people. Yes some are lazy but others simply don't have access to the information and relationship you have. Otherwise, they could have been rich as well.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

EFCC Obtains Court Order To Track Nigerians Transacting On Binance / Requirements To Start A Filling Station Business In Nigeria / Anxiety As Naira Falls N250 To Dollar - Daily Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.