Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? (12505 Views)

TCN Shuts Down Electricity Supply To The Discos Supplying Kaduna & Kano / 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka / 70 Percent Of Cars Innoson Supplied Has Broken Down – Imo State Gov’t (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by CrownWale93(m): 8:45am On Jan 16
In Magboro community (Ogun state) where I live here, the community tax each household some huge amount of money to mount pole, wire the poles and buy transformers across.

Then IBEDC came afterward and the properties was assigned to them, some CDAs' had issue with their transformers but IBEDC refuse to bring another transformer waiting for the community to get it themselves and they never stop bringing bills every month.

Still receiving estimated billing as they refuse to install prepaid meters

Goodday90:
I went to visit a friend today and he told me that their transformer have been bad for some time and PHCN have come and carried it away and that they said they need to contribute some money to get another transformer,7 million I think
No money no transformer
So this got me thinking,whose responsibility is it to repair/replace these things?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Obviouslyblunt: 8:45am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:
Ideally, it is the job of the local DISCO, not the job of PHCN. PHCN does not exist. Discos and gencos and TCN have replaced it.

But as to why consumers contribute...this one is easy.

Nigerians are not paying cost reflective tarrifs for electricity. Additionally, over 30% of us do not pay for the power we use.(If you think I am lying...google for the PwC report Solving the Liquidity crunch in the power sector).

As a result, your local DISCO is owing money, and at least 3 of them have been taken over by the banks. Up till today...many of our DISCOS have not broken even. THREE of them, and I mean three of them, have been taken over by their creditors, one has been taken over defacto by the government.

Why...because Nigerians do not want to pay their power bills at market price. We think we must have power for free.

Meanwhile, GSM companies, if the antenna spoil, dem go replace am. Your local provision store owner, if he runs out of milk today, he will replace it within a few hours, if not tomorrow latest....because they are allowed to do something the power sector is not allowed to do. Sell at market price.

This is the result of not letting DISCO set prices.....you will be asked to contribute for your generator.

I went to a private school for primary school, and then for secondary school, na government school I go. My school fees in the primary school were at one point three times what I eventually was paying in the government secondary school I went to....yet in the primary school, in over 6 years of being there it was two times I bought exercise book for myself...the second time, because the supplier was late,and I was advised to buy a book...anyway, normal service was resumed in a few days.

When I entered secondary school, I was paying cheap school fees. Guess what......in my six years there I was buying all my exercise books and stationeries and textbooks while there. Something that in my private primary school..they were issuing us textbook.

Let us all pay a cost reflective tarrif.......and you will see your disco provide you with high quality transformer that would last 300 years. Not this one where we pretend power is cheap, and where in some areas half the population thinks it is free of charge. Ok o.
whose fault is it for not providing prepaid meters so people will pay adequately? Also if power is stable and 24/7 will anyone need to pay for fuel, solar in other to have stable electricity? People will direct those funds into paying their electricity bill.

4 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by 89green: 8:49am On Jan 16
jmoore:

This is one crucial point you have failed to address. Nigerians have been buying transformers, poles, wires for the DISCOS but you keep talking about how Nigerians are not paying the right tariff for darkness supplied. Government is even paying electricity subsidy for the paltry 5,000 megawatts that can't power up to 30 million Nigerians at a time.

Rest with your propaganda!!

That guy is just offpoint, beating around the bush. He couldn't just address the point.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by WhisperedNoise: 8:53am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:
Ideally, it is the job of the local DISCO, not the job of PHCN. PHCN does not exist. Discos and gencos and TCN have replaced it.

Nigerians are not paying cost reflective tarrifs for electricity. Additionally, over 30% of us do not pay for the power we use.(If you think I am lying...google for the PwC report Solving the Liquidity crunch in the power sector).

As a result, your local DISCO is owing money, and at least 3 of them have been taken over by the banks. Up till today...many of our DISCOS have not broken even. THREE of them, and I mean three of them, have been taken over by their creditors, one has been taken over defacto by the government.

Why...because Nigerians do not want to pay their power bills at market price. We think we must have power for free.

Meanwhile, GSM companies, if the antenna spoil, dem go replace am. Your local provision store owner, if he runs out of milk today, he will replace it within a few hours, if not tomorrow latest....because they are allowed to do something the power sector is not allowed to do. Sell at market price.

This is the result of not letting DISCO set prices.....you will be asked to contribute for your generator.

I went to a private school for primary school, and then for secondary school, na government school I go. My school fees in the primary school were at one point three times what I eventually was paying in the government secondary school I went to....yet in the primary school, in over 6 years of being there it was two times I bought exercise book for myself...the second time, because the supplier was late,and I was advised to buy a book...anyway, normal service was resumed in a few days.

When I entered secondary school, I was paying cheap school fees. Guess what......in my six years there I was buying all my exercise books and stationeries and textbooks while there. Something that in my private primary school..they were issuing us textbook.

Let us all pay a cost reflective tarrif.......and you will see your disco provide you with high quality transformer that would last 300 years. Not this one where we pretend power is cheap, and where in some areas half the population thinks it is free of charge. Ok o.
Whose fault exactly?

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by 89green: 8:53am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Is that also why we are yet to have 247 electricity since 1960s till date
Just beating around the bush and failing to address the main point. There is nothing like cost reflective tarriff.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Incredible128: 8:54am On Jan 16
What are you saying? undecided undecided undecided
nairalanda1:

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by femi4: 8:56am On Jan 16
Goodday90:
I went to visit a friend today and he told me that their transformer have been bad for some time and PHCN have come and carried it away and that they said they need to contribute some money to get another transformer,7 million I think
No money no transformer
So this got me thinking,whose responsibility is it to repair/replace these things?
Even if it's electrical pole, na una go still buy am

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by oluseg2: 9:07am On Jan 16
Atarakpa:
Who is it responsibility to repair a broken telecom equipment.

You nailed it.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by soccerlite: 9:20am On Jan 16
Same problem in our area
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by soccerlite: 9:23am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

You and this your stupid leftest propaganda

You don't have anything to say than nigerians are not paying enough

Devil

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by ibabz(m): 9:24am On Jan 16
Whose property? This should answer your question.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by soccerlite: 9:30am On Jan 16
MorataFC:
OK you dey wait for NEPA?
You go wait tire

Stupid nigeria mentality
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by GloriousGbola: 9:30am On Jan 16
joseph1832:
It's the job of the Disco. Simple. Don't let anyone fool you into contributing money to buy, repair or even replace a transformer.

And After you replace the transformer, you will be told it is the property of the disco.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Kukutente23: 9:33am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

What is the relationship between a Disco abdicating its responsibility by refusing to provide transformers for its customers and payment of cost reflective tariffs? In strict economic terms, the transformer is a fixed asset of the Disco. No serious business concern waits on its customers to provide fixed asset. If you're blaming the customers for inability of Disco to provide transformers then why blame the customers for also bypassing. It is a simple case of getting back the money they put into the DISCOs in the name of transformer purchase.
However, the fact is that the idea of customers providing transformers and footing the cost of repairs is a relic of the PHCN days when customers took over responsibility of govt since the govt became irresponsible. The DISCOs simply inherited that mindset and have sustained it ever since. It will interest you to know that even during the days of NITEL, customers hardly foot the bill of repairs but corrupt PHCN which birthed the DISCOs will not lift a finger until money was paid.
So instead of writing an apologia to cover the incompetence and inefficiency of the Discos, you should rather advocate for them to live up to the terms of their contracts which is free prepaid metering. They have even ultimately failed in that as well such that customers now pay for their own meters!!

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by tasalanoni(m): 9:42am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:
Do consumers have the money to buy a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

Just go to their office and request for a new one and they'll put you on queue alongside others who had made request and during distribution time they'll supply to the areas that applied for it at once.

Dey play

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by IPDGP: 9:42am On Jan 16
Fashionlady:
i ve seen an area go 4years without electricity because they were waiting on nepa. I once stayed in an areas with almost everyone on prepared meter and still yet nepa dont even give light. I ve seen an area where the transformer didn’t had any faults but because another one had faults and the residents refused to pay nepa turned off over 4 transformers. This country is truly a hell hole.

Bro am experiencing the same thing at my area right now, since 2022 we don't have light and the surrounding town has, just because we have set of bad leaders and politicians.

It's just like when 5capacity transformer can no longer carry the whole town and got spoiled, when they want to bring another one they now brought 3capacity and within two weeks it got spoiled.
Some have bring the idea of contributing , but most of us are not ready to pay anything especially the youths.
Not until early this year that the governor now donated a new step down and till now they haven't finish the installation.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by LagosSuperStar: 9:49am On Jan 16
It's the community
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by LagosSuperStar: 9:51am On Jan 16
Kukutente23:

What is the relationship between a Disco abdicating its responsibility by refusing to provide transformers for its customers and payment of cost reflective tariffs? In strict economic terms, the transformer is a fixed asset of the Disco. No serious business concern waits on its customers to provide fixed asset. If you're blaming the customers for inability of Disco to provide transformers then why blame the customers for also bypassing. It is a simple case of getting back the money they put into the DISCOs in the name of transformer purchase.
However, the fact is that the idea of customers providing transformers and footing the cost of repairs is a relic of the PHCN days when customers took over responsibility of govt since the govt became irresponsible. The DISCOs simply inherited that mindset and have sustained it ever since. It will interest you to know that even during the days of NITEL, customers hardly foot the bill of repairs but corrupt PHCN which birthed the DISCOs will not lift a finger until money was paid.
So instead of writing an apologia to cover the incompetence and inefficiency of the Discos, you should rather advocate for them to live up to the terms of their contracts which is free prepaid metering. They have even ultimately failed in that as well such that customers now pay for their own meters!!

So true. I wish I can post this as a topic

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by missionmex(m): 10:13am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

This is half truth.
Let them supply the inhabitants with prepaid meters and make a law that punishes offender's and see if they will not make their money. They are only scared of investing in prepaid meters that would have helped in this case.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by FILEBE(m): 10:26am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:
Do consumers have the money to buy a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

Just go to their office and request for a new one and they'll put you on queue alongside others who had made request and during distribution time they'll supply to the areas that applied for it at once.

You saw where the op said they were asked to contribute 7 million for a transformer .

In Nigeria, consumers buy Transformers !

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by FILEBE(m): 10:28am On Jan 16
jmoore:

This is one crucial point you have failed to address. Nigerians have been buying transformers, poles, wires for the DISCOS but you keep talking about how Nigerians are not paying the right tariff for darkness supplied. Government is even paying electricity subsidy for the paltry 5,000 megawatts that can't power up to 30 million Nigerians at a time.

Leave him let him be making excuses for them . Those are the lies the Discos use to rip us

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Lifemanage: 10:42am On Jan 16
Ashibelieve:
The real question is why are people not paying?

Answer: Electricity is not regular.

Solution: Customers want stable electricity before they will be ready to pay.

Challenge of this: Discos can't afford the cost of providing quality service to customers and setup checks and balances before they start asking customers to pay market price.

Final remark: You don't get into business and tell customers to frontload your minimum coat to offer a good product or service before doing that. It remains Discos and whoever are underestimating the cost of doing business and providing efficient service before asking customers to pay for it or they are stock with the government mindset of doing business and supporting the business on subsidy and citizens payment
Hmm. Profound statement. I hear there are private power discos in Lagos, ain't they providing good service that can be replicated on a bigger scale?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by LordAdam16: 10:44am On Jan 16
Regardless:

You're absolutely right. But let's ask ourselves, what's the purchasing power of Nigerians?

There are people still collecting less than the minimum wage, you expect those people to pay cost reflective tariff? If the country was working, one should be able to pay for electricity even if you are receiving minimum wage.

Let's also not forget that these DISCOS favour estimated bills to giving prepaid meters because they make more money with estimated billings.

Gasoline price increased by 300%. Nigerians still fuel up their private and public vehicles.

The DISCOs should be charging a cost-reflective tariff + a double percentage premium.
After the initial uptick in charges, consumption rates will fall and revenue will go up.
Overall demand far outstrips supply, so consumption rates will surge back up. The DISCOs will be able to offer more power to folks who can afford it, perpetuating a positive feedback loop.

To put this in perspective, consider your local telco mast.
It casts network signals 24/7.
You can only use it to call, text, or surf the web when you purchase credits.
If a lot of folks use the paid services, the telco adds more capacity and upgrades the network infrastructure.
A similar dynamic will play out on the electricity end. Power will be up but you'd ration your use.

You cannot tell your telco to reduce the call rate to 1 kobo per minute for affordability reasons.
If the regulators demand it, every last one of them will exit.
And the network quality will drop drastically to the point where it'll become unusable. Sounds familiar.

Needless to say, the increased productivity from the more efficient allocation of resources will spur economic activity that should increase earning capacities of citizens across the board.
The DISCOs will earn more money. This'd whet a ravenous appetite to invest amongst both current players and new entrants with $ signs in their eyes.
The energy industry is capital-intensive, so the effect of the investments will not be transient and be a force multiplier.
This by the way is the beauty of capitalism.

I am not castigating subsidies. Everyone leverages it, including the developed world. But it is a double-edged sword.
Use it wrongly and it'd stifle progress, like is the case with our power sector.
We can start talking about subsidies when we've built up a robust, functioning system.

-Lord
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by emmyN(m): 10:50am On Jan 16
microgiant:

According to nairalanda1 you should pay to enable them give you transformer, because that is what he did with the GSM companies. He was paying till they had enough cash to buy and install the GSM equipment to enable him make calls. grin

That guy keeps writing rubbish all the time. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Kinzo0917(m): 10:52am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:

That means they won't have light in years to come

Individuals do sell transformers. I ve seen places in abuja were transformers are sold

When our transformer got spoil in warri, people have to contribute money to buy new one

If you wait for NEPA mgt, una go old
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by badoh(m): 10:52am On Jan 16
jmoore:

Thank you. The guy was saying rubbish. Does it even make sense that a whole provider of service is requesting her users to contribute money to buy transformer? It is because the consumer protection unit are not up and running reason why the DISCOS and GENCOS take Nigerians for a ride. Instead of them to improve their services, ensure at least 85% of houses in Nigeria are metered and allow the National Assembly make laws to jail anyone caught tapping electricity illegally, they are busy passing responsibility of transformer replacement to users, what a bad way of doing business.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MadamExcellency: 11:13am On Jan 16
microgiant:

According to nairalanda1 you should pay to enable them to give you a transformer because that is what he did with the GSM companies. He was paying till they had enough cash to buy and install the GSM equipment to enable him to make calls. grin

Nairaland1's understanding of politics, economy and social welfare is poor and riddled with ignorance. Ask him how much the GENCOs sell the highly subsidized one kilowatt of power to DISCOs before giving the DISCOs the free-to-charge arbitrarily. Cost control is perfect when a commodity is subsidized. Imagine asking Petrol Stations to sell any price they like when the government is subsidizing the products.

Nairaland1 is out of this world when it comes to leadership and service. Such people should not be allowed to taste power.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Omola2ulv: 11:15am On Jan 16
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by InvertedHammer: 11:46am On Jan 16
Lifemanage:

Good analysis. But why govt no want them to charge cost reflective tarriffs
/
Why are they not supplying electric meters and ensuring adequate supply of electricity? Combine poor services with estimated billings and you will see why even Angel Gabriel would not want to pay for electricity.

/

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Rating(m): 11:49am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

You wrote well. However, let's add more perspective:

1. Nigeria is supposedly a rich country, where the resources of our commonwealth have been squandered by those entrusted with leadership,
2. That has led to poverty in the land (which is being weaponised in different ways).
3. Let's not forget that people have been buying transformers themselves (and paying the officials to install them) in the days of NEPA and PHCN.
4. Let's not also forget the days of estimated billings. They were fleecing the populace like no man's business - maybe it went to private purses or government, no one can be sure.
5. No one (should) expect power to be free - anywhere in the world. And we also don't have to pay through our nose for electricity.
6. For the telcos, some will remember that they had very high billings in the early days of their operation in Nigeria. Some will also remember that they invested heavily in the emerging industry. Why have the DISCOs (and by extension, TCN and the GENCOs) not invested heavily in the industry? Why has foreign investors not embraced the local companies and make things better despite all the reforms in that sector?
7. People will pay when they see value. This is common practice - even in Nigeria.
8. Finally, when the leaders feel the heat that the masses feel, instead of making the AC work for all, they serve only themselves. Anyone who now expects the populace to not reject further billings in any way possible is just being hypocritical.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Lifemanage: 12:08pm On Jan 16
InvertedHammer:

/
Why are they not supplying electric meters and ensuring adequate supply of electricity? Combine poor services with estimated billings and you will see why even Angel Gabriel would not want to pay for electricity.

/
Another interesting view. This is very apt and should resolve any misgivings on the part of the discos. The discos are definitely not showing that they have capacity to deliver on their business mandates. Telecoms is a case study of capacity and business tenacity...Discos need to learn from telecoms industry in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by joseph1832(m): 12:14pm On Jan 16
GloriousGbola:

And After you replace the transformer, you will be told it is the property of the disco.
the irony. Lol.

Ignorance is what is making many Nigerians do the things they do.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Driver & Soldier Arrested On 3rd Mainland Bridge Driving Against Traffic / Urgent!! Check Who Did AU Hold A Minute Of Silence For On 23rd February 2017? / Kwara APC Crisis: Lai Mohammed Faction Threatens To Work Against Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.