Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? (12555 Views)

TCN Shuts Down Electricity Supply To The Discos Supplying Kaduna & Kano / 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka / 70 Percent Of Cars Innoson Supplied Has Broken Down – Imo State Gov’t (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MadamExcellency: 8:12pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Because, to answer your question... cost-reflective tariffs, plus power stealing mean DISCOS lose money. You cannot give good service under such circumstances

Plus, the government is broke.

See the problem.

Heavy donor-related subsides, plus generics. Next.

You can ask them. All I know is, that due to low oil prices, we were having difficulty funding subsides. That was obvious even as far back as 2011, which is why GEJ wanted to remove subsidies. But you guys said no. Some of us saw the light back then, but we were called government supporters, even when we were not, so silence was the best course.

1. They reject power because they are not making enough money to accept it.....which leads us back to non-cost reflective tariffs, power stealing and so forth

2. Estimated billing is what results when the power sector's profit-making ability is reduced...and when large percentages are not paying for power.

Yes, and they supply at night too. Depends on the band you are on though. (Band A areas don't have that issue.

Imo state is not the entirety of Nigeria.

A lot of meters are attached to homes. That's how it was done in the days of NEPA, and it still happens now. That's where the bypassing happens. I've also seen the meters installed on poles, but they are not the majority.

And even those can be bypassed. Much easier. grin

Which is why they cannot make a profit. And why they reject power.

Note that GENCOS spend a lot to make power. They pay for gas (most of our power is from gas) in dollars....yes, including Nigeria Gas company. That's part of the problem.

You have repeatedly made the insinuation that the DISCOs are not making money. Who sent you or made you their advocate? We are talking about inefficiency in both the distribution and bill payments/collections.

For instance, in my home town, every community is connected to the National grid through the Ultra High tension (11,000KVA lines) to the transformer and a watt meter is connected to the UHT transformers which shows the total consumption per month and the bills are issued by the DISCO and paid by the communities completely every month. It is not the EEDC that goes from house to house for the collection of the money but members of the communities elected by the communities. I am talking about the sizeable percentage of Aba mega city. The communities sometimes have excess money in their purse from donations and contributions for the electricity projects. If the communities have an excess budget, how then are the DISCOs making losses if not inefficiency?

Secondly, don't you think that the DISCOs are inefficient because of the bulk money they get from intervention funds from the Federal government? These monies come in billions of naira.

There are no excuses worth tendering for DISCOs' inefficiencies. It is mismanagement, gross incompetence and negligence of duty that is bedevilling the system which needs reforms by the shareholders and government representatives for efficient management and redress.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 8:18pm On Jan 16
MadamExcellency:

You have repeatedly made the insinuation that the DISCOs are not making money. Who sent you or made you their advocate? We are talking about inefficiency in both the distribution and bill payments/collections.

For instance, in my home town, every community is connected to the National grid through the VH tension (11,000KVA lines) to the transformer and a watt meter is connected to the VHT transformers which shows the total consumption per month and the bills are issued by the DISCO and paid by the communities completely every month. It is not the EEDC that goes from house to house for the collection of the money but members of the communities elected by the communities. I am talking about the sizeable percentage of Aba mega city. The communities sometimes have excess money in their purse from donations and contributions for the electricity projects. If the communities have an excess budget, how then are the DISCOs making losses if not inefficiency?

Secondly, don't you think that the DISCOs are inefficient because of the bulk money they get from intervention funds from the Federal government? These monies come in billions of naira.

There are no excuses worth tendering for DISCOs' inefficiencies. It is mismanagement, gross incompetence and negligence of duty that is bedevilling the system that needs reforms by the shareholders and government representatives for efficient management and redress.

Well, for more information, google for the paper ' Solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector'. It gives out a lot of information you need

Also, four power discos are now in the hands of their creditors

Finally news reports and lots of reserch from 2013 is why i hold the views i hold.

Finally, you should know that at the end, all i say here is simple. Allow a man to make profits, things will work

Good evening. Once again, the fact that i hold different views from thee is no reason for you to have abused me earlier. That was wrong, and you should do better. You are not on the playground. You can disagree on this site without being abusive and petty.

Thank you

And we need something like 30 trillion naira annual investment in power. That 450 bn won't do much

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MadamExcellency: 8:28pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Well, for more information, google for the paper ' Solving the liquidity crunch in the Nigerian power sector'. It gives out a lot of information you need

Also, four power discos are now in the hands of their creditors

Finally news reports and lots of reserch from 2013 is why i hold the views i hold.

Finally, you should know that at the end, all i say here is simple. Allow a man to make profits, things will work

Good evening. Once again, the fact that i hold different views from there is no reason for you to have abused me earlier. That was wrong, and you should do better. You are not on the playground. You can disagree on this site without being abusive and petty.

Thank you

And we need something like 30 trillion naira annual investment in power. That 450 bn won't do much

You did not do justice to my submissions. You don't quote a comment and refused to address the issues raised. Stop reading too much from academic resolutions on papers. These academic exercises are why Nigeria is failing. We need practical and workable formats like the workable one I narrated.

Let me rephrase my comment to enable you to understand better.

You have repeatedly implied that the DISCOs are not profitable. Who authorized you to advocate for them? We are discussing the inefficiency in both distribution and bill payments/collections.

For example, in my hometown, every community is connected to the National grid through Ultra High Tension (11,000KVA lines) to the transformer. A watt meter is connected to the UHT transformers, displaying the total monthly consumption, and bills are issued by the DISCO. However, the collection of money is not done by the EEDC but by elected community members. This arrangement is followed by a significant percentage of Aba mega city. Sometimes, the communities have surplus funds from donations and contributions for electricity projects. If the communities have extra funds, then how can the DISCOs be incurring losses unless there is inefficiency?

Furthermore, do you not think that the DISCOs' inefficiency is due to the large sums of money they receive from intervention funds provided by the Federal government? These funds amount to billions of naira.

There are no acceptable reasons to justify the DISCOs' inefficiencies. It is a result of mismanagement, severe incompetence, and neglect of duty. Reforms are necessary, and both shareholders and government representatives should take measures to ensure efficient management.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 8:30pm On Jan 16
MadamExcellency:

You did not do justice to my submissions. You didn't quote a comment and refused to address the issues raised. Stop reading too much from academic resolutions on papers. These academic exercises are why Nigeria is failing. We need practical and workable formats like the workable one I narrated.

You have repeatedly implied that the DISCOs are not profitable. Who authorized you to advocate for them? We are discussing the inefficiency in both distribution and bill payments/collections.

For example, in my hometown, every community is connected to the National grid through Ultra High Tension (11,000KVA lines) to the transformer. A watt meter is connected to the UHT transformers, displaying the total monthly consumption, and bills are issued by the DISCO. However, the collection of money is not done by the EEDC but by elected community members. This arrangement is followed by a significant percentage of Aba mega city. Sometimes, the communities have surplus funds from donations and contributions for electricity projects. If the communities have extra funds, then how can the DISCOs be incurring losses unless there is inefficiency?

Furthermore, do you not think that the DISCOs' inefficiency is due to the large sums of money they receive from intervention funds provided by the Federal government? These funds amount to billions of naira.

There are no acceptable reasons to justify the DISCOs' inefficiencies. It is a result of mismanagement, severe incompetence, and neglect of duty. Reforms are necessary, and both shareholders and government representatives should take measures to ensure efficient management.

You miss my point because you want cheap things.

Good evening

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 8:43pm On Jan 16
Right, a lot of people attacking my view complain about inefficiencies in the power sector.

What they do not realize is that the inability of the discos to charge cost reflective tarrifs is a big factor why there are inefficiencies

Starve a child, don't be surprised he steals food.

Fin

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Okarakwu: 8:43pm On Jan 16
Simple question ...who supposed replace bad transformer ...and you dived into story
nairalanda1:
Ideally, it is the job of the local DISCO, not the job of PHCN. PHCN does not exist. Discos and gencos and TCN have replaced it.

But as to why consumers contribute...this one is easy.

Nigerians are not paying cost reflective tarrifs for electricity. Additionally, over 30% of us do not pay for the power we use.(If you think I am lying...google for the PwC report Solving the Liquidity crunch in the power sector).

As a result, your local DISCO is owing money, and at least 3 of them have been taken over by the banks. Up till today...many of our DISCOS have not broken even. THREE of them, and I mean three of them, have been taken over by their creditors, one has been taken over defacto by the government.

Why...because Nigerians do not want to pay their power bills at market price. We think we must have power for free.

Meanwhile, GSM companies, if the antenna spoil, dem go replace am. Your local provision store owner, if he runs out of milk today, he will replace it within a few hours, if not tomorrow latest....because they are allowed to do something the power sector is not allowed to do. Sell at market price.

This is the result of not letting DISCO set prices.....you will be asked to contribute for your generator.

I went to a private school for primary school, and then for secondary school, na government school I go. My school fees in the primary school were at one point three times what I eventually was paying in the government secondary school I went to....yet in the primary school, in over 6 years of being there it was two times I bought exercise book for myself...the second time, because the supplier was late,and I was advised to buy a book...anyway, normal service was resumed in a few days.

When I entered secondary school, I was paying cheap school fees. Guess what......in my six years there I was buying all my exercise books and stationeries and textbooks while there. Something that in my private primary school..they were issuing us textbook.

Let us all pay a cost reflective tarrif.......and you will see your disco provide you with high quality transformer that would last 300 years. Not this one where we pretend power is cheap, and where in some areas half the population thinks it is free of charge. Ok o.

Modifed.

I thank everyone who has responded to me. As it is, my point is simple. Allow DISCOS to set the price that allows them to make a profit, and you won't have to buy anything for them AT ALL...because they would use their profit to buy it for you.

To all those that abused me, not only do I say shame on you, you guys should not take this site serious. The way you respond, it shows you have allowed me to have so much power over you. You don't have to be my slave, you can be free of me...and be calm.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 8:44pm On Jan 16
Okarakwu:
Simple question ...who supposed replace bad transformer ...and you dived into story

Yes, because i like stories.

Bye
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 9:43pm On Jan 16
MadamExcellency:

You did not do justice to my submissions. You don't quote a comment and refused to address the issues raised. Stop reading too much from academic resolutions on papers. These academic exercises are why Nigeria is failing. We need practical and workable formats like the workable one I narrated.

grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:02pm On Jan 16
obesse:

No mind am o!
He who knows nothing but tries to prove that he knows a lot is a fool. Just ignore him. grin

Yes, and things have to be sold at a profit anyway, come what may.

By the way, you haven't refuted any of my points. You just mock and mock and mock.

That shows you have no way of refuting my points. You know I am right, but you don't want to admit it.

Anyway, all the info I have used for my comments here is freely available online. You want cheap things though, and it is your love for cheap, your belief that people must sell you things cheap.....that does not allow you see the truth.

Good evening for the last time. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by justtoodark: 10:05pm On Jan 16
danfo drivers....

keke natep conductors....

chaii....what type of strange question is this sef....??

noo call your local carpenter....
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 10:14pm On Jan 16
[quote author=nairalanda1 post=127977757]

Yes, and things have to be sold at a profit anyway, come w
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:19pm On Jan 16
obesse:

You are chatting with somebody with over 30 years of experience in business, as a senior management member and later, an astute entrepreneur.
I wonder if you have ever managed any notable business in your life. Little wonder you try to force your trash down the throat of the gullible.
Guess what, it cannot work on this platform because everybody can see through you!
Inugo?

If you have really managed a business, then you won't be arguing for the power sector to keep on charging tarrifs that won't allow it to earn a profit.

Which is kind of my point. I am arguing that the power sector has the same right you have, and other business people have. The right to set the price that helps them make a profit.

Not allowing them that right is why they are a mess, why they have bad things like estimated billing, and why they cannot supply or replace transformers and people have to buy it for them.

It is also why, several years after privatisation, none of them have been able to make a profit to serve their customers adequately.

You claim to be a businessman, yet you argue for the type of practices that if applied to your business would lead to its collapse

FIN.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 10:31pm On Jan 16
[quote author=nairalanda1 post=127978047]

If you have really managed a business, then you won't be arguing for the power sector to keep on charging tarrifs that won't allow it to earn a profit.

Which is kind of my point. I am arguing that the power sector has the same right you have, and other business people have. The right to set the price that helps them make a profit.

Not allowing them that right is why they are a mess, why they have bad things like estimated billing, and why they cannot supply or replace transformers and people have to buy it for them. By
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:33pm On Jan 16
obesse:

There is a difference between theoretical knowledge and experiential knowledge. Your write-up shows that you lack both.
The only thing you do is to copy information from the internet about specific issues and paste it on Nairaland.
But, unfortunately, you do not understand that, before you can make any sense at all, your argument must be in the correct context.
The only thing you have learnt in your life is that a business must make a profit, but you are not away that there are several ways to make profit without necessarily having to overburden the consumers, especially if it has to do with an essential service like the provision of electricity.

So, basically, the power sector has no right to make a profit , while you have every right to do so.

Right.

I can't argue anymore. You are backing the kind of policy that would affect your business badly if it was applied to your business.

I'm done here.

You want cheap things. Admit it, and stop all this long talk. cheesy

Meanwhile, power must be sold at a profit for you and me to get it 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:47pm On Jan 16
obesse:

You have repeated the same point more than 20 times in this thread alone. This is a clear indication that you are shallow in your thinking!
You cannot grow if you refuse to accept that you are wrong.
So, just continue to wallow in your ignorance!

Yeah, and you expect a sector that cannot set its prices and has more than 30 % of its customers not paying for its service to give you 24 hours power.

Aight.

And you are here calling me ignorant.

Good evening. I won't trobule you no more.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 10:54pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Yeah, and you expect a sector that cannot set its prices and has more than 30 % of its customers not paying for its service to give you 24 hours power.

Aight.

And you are here calling me ignorant.

Good evening. I won't trobule you no more.

I am convinced that you have never in your life seen the authentic financial records of the organizations you are defending. Even if you see the records you cannot interpret them.
Also, you have not worked as a senior manager in any of them. So you are not privy to a lot of things going on.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:59pm On Jan 16
obesse:

I am convinced that you have never in your life seen the authentic financial records of the organizations you are defending. Even if you see the records you cannot interpret them.
Also, you have not worked as a senior manager in any of them. So you are not privy to a lot of things going on.
As far as you are concerned, ignorance is bliss! So Continue!

Well, at the end, come rain or shine, nothing is free in freetown

I have no right to demand that you set your prices in a way I see fit. Therefore it follows the government has no right to set your prices in a way it sees fit, and thus you, me and the government should not have the right to set the prices of the power companies.

Power has to be and must be sold at a profit.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by omohayek: 11:08pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Better stop being a bully. It is not good for you.

But you won't listen to this old joker...

Good evening.
Honestly, you have the patience of a saint. So many Nigerians seem unable to respond to opinions they find disagreeable other than by pouring out invective and abuse. Nigeria's educational system is good at turning out people who know how to cram and pass exams, but it does an abysmal job of teaching the principles of logic and the basics of rational argumentation.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 11:11pm On Jan 16
[quote author=nairalanda1 post=127978514]

Well, at the end, come rain or shine, nothing is free in freetown
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:15pm On Jan 16
obesse:

I can only feel sorry for you and your loved ones who depend on you. You need a good job, not this one you are doing.
Try to send your CV to me. I will see what I can do.
In your reply please include your phone number and your email address.
Good night, I have to prepare for a meeting I will be having first thing tomorrow.

So because I say power has to be sold at a profit you assume that

1.I am unemployed

2.I am in a sorry state.

(If I start laughing now, my neigbours would forcefully take me to the nearest psychiatrist posthaste. I must not laugh)

My, what an overactive imagination you have there, grandpa. Just as overactive as the wolf that ate Red Riding Hood's folks....Are you free to entertain at kids parties? wink

Power must be sold at a profit. The business does not care how you or i feel. It must be sold at a profit to pay shareholders, pay for supplies, pay for improvements, pay workers a good wage, pay for pensions, and pay for the CEO's expenses...including his side chick in Lagos (oops.).

Anyway, power must be sold at a profit. Don't let that upset you so, dear boy.

P.S I also think you should get a pet parrot. They make good companions.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 11:19pm On Jan 16
grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:28pm On Jan 16
omohayek:

Honestly, you have the patience of a saint. So many Nigerians seem unable to respond to opinions they find disagreeable other than by pouring out invective and abuse. Nigeria's educational system is good at turning out people who know how to cram and pass exams, but it does an abysmal job of teaching the principles of logic and the basics of rational argumentation.

Thank you

But in a way, I understand them. Before 2011, I would have made the same arguments that the people I am arguing against here are making. Trying to understand in 2011, why government was trying to remove subsidy for the nth time...in nearly 2 decades, was what started a process that led to me understanding some things....

But the truth is, most Nigerians are poor. We really cannot pay for power at a cost reflective tariff, most of us. The problem is, if we keep paying for power at cheap prices, because of 'poverty' we won't get good enough power, because the sector won't make the profit needed to attract investment and improve things.

Why most of them are shouting at me, is because they want me to think of the poor. They think I am being that insensitive to say that Nigerians should pay for power at market price. In a way I am. But if I agreed with them, then at the end, I am saying that the sector should remain underfunded. And we still get no light.

But then again, GSM companies did not think of the poor. They charged sky high prices back in the day, and people blasted them all day long. Until the benefits kicked in, and prices came down due to competition...and more investment led to expansion. Today we have a thriving telecoms sector because we simply let them set their prices. Nothing to do with politics, just simply set their prices.

And many poor people can now use telecom services. When it was pnly NITEL, with government set prices, very few Nigerians could use phones.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:30pm On Jan 16
obesse:

There is no need to be shy!
Just send me your CV. I know the economy is biting hard. This is the more reason to help some people the little way you can.
Give me your phone number and email address. I will contact you tomorrow.

All this because of the fact that power must be sold at a profit.

I really have that much power over you, son.

(You are not as old as you claim, otherwise you won;t be this petty).
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 16
obesse:

There is no need to be shy!
Just send me your CV. I know the economy is biting hard. This is the more reason to help some people the little way you can.
Give me your phone number and email address. I will contact you tomorrow.

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 11:35pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

All this because of the fact that power must be sold at a profit.

I really have that much power over you, son.

(You are not as old as you claim, otherwise you won;t be this petty).
Good night.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:39pm On Jan 16
obesse:

Well, I have done my own part. Best wishes to you.
I am done here.
NB: The offer is still on the table until the end of this month.
Good night.

Vanity and Pride...They are weeds of very sudden growth, and, getting once a start,
They choke the flowers that otherwise would beautify the heart

M. Taylor.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 11:40pm On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Vanity and Pride...They are weeds of very sudden growth, and, getting once a start,
They choke the flowers that otherwise would beautify the heart

M. Taylor.
Good night.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:41pm On Jan 16
obesse:

Well, I have done my own part. Best wishes to you.
I am done here.
NB: The offer is still on the table until the end of this month.
Good night.

All this mockery because I think differently from you.

Well, I was right about you.

I have tried. You don't want to understand, so you resort to mockery.

Well, mockery is the last refuge of an ignorant mind. Like yours.

Good night. Keep your job offer son. I cant work for mockers like you. You won;t make a good boss.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:41pm On Jan 16
obesse:

The offer is still on the table.

Keep it. I don't work for bullies. Or mockers. Or little kids. cheesy
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by obesse: 11:44pm On Jan 16
Toh.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 11:45pm On Jan 16
obesse:

The offer is still on the table.
Right now I am switching off my phone
Good night.

In other words, you are running away, because you have no points

Anyway, no matter how many times you offer me a job, or think you are superior to me, or whatever you think of me, at the end of the day......

Power must be sold at a profit for everyone to have light every day, no cuts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Afenifere Has No Regrets Supporting Tinubu To Be President – Secretary / Another Bomb Blast In Kano / Buhari’s Speech In Osun State AT 25 Celebration (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.