Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,603 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? (21321 Views)

My children will not start school until 4 or 5 years old / Married Woman Disrupts Husband Secret Wedding, Brings Their Child To The Altar / When Is The Right Time To Tell Him/Her Of A Child From Previous Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Tonididdyx: 5:47pm On Jan 17
DivinegiftofGod:

I am telling you what is obtainable because it's my field and I've have never seen any school with kg3. I can tell you this for free because I visit so many different schools.

Then states differ.
In Edo there is kg1 to 3 before the primaries.

I don't understand what you mean by kg1&2, nursery 1&2....whats that about?

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Bonab: 5:48pm On Jan 17
My child started at the age of 2 in kg 1 going to 3 years in June. But before that we put her crèche for one year. The kg class has helped her a lot in learning how to speak very well and in identifying objects.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Yankee101: 5:49pm On Jan 17
Today?
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Tonididdyx: 5:50pm On Jan 17
Procashtips:

Yes

It's 7 in Finland and they have the best educational system in the world.
Educational system my ass.
List 3 finnish scholars you know! Below age 20

.... And bill list 10 in Nigeria below 20
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by OBJECTIVITY4ALL: 6:03pm On Jan 17
, I have 3years 6 months old boy , I don't want to enrolled him because he still misses his 👟👟 position most times he wear left on right instead. As soon as he is able to identify the right from the left perhaps at Age 4 or 5 he should start school . My opinion

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by deavicky(m): 6:12pm On Jan 17
tonykel1:
4 years is the standard to start Primary School
which 4 years? At 4 year my daughter had started reading things. My last child just start school this year at 1year 7 months
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by QueenDima47(f): 6:16pm On Jan 17
Take him to primary 1 immediately he is 6 years. That is the standard

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by gaddafe(m): 6:21pm On Jan 17
brain54:
I am no expert with kids...

But I think sometimes it depends on how sharp the kid is.

But there is really no handout to these things.

Kids nowadays as quick.

Probably 4 years old... But not serious school. Those crèche whatever where they do those play things.

I told you am no an expert with kids!

You tried in your answer but 6 years old is the best time to start. There is nothing like sharp kids. There are a lot of scientific reasons for this. I don't want to delve into that now but you can google why the best time is 6years old.

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by observanc1: 6:22pm On Jan 17
tammyf:

Up until which age
6. And start Primary 1. Oyibo doesn't know all this creche, nursery. A child starts learning a b c, 1 2 3 at 6.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by kowabed: 6:26pm On Jan 17
None

If you have the time , just home school and be with your kids
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by PastorOku: 6:40pm On Jan 17
kowabed:
None

If you have the time , just home school and be with your kids

Most times, we put them early cos no time. My baby is heading to 4months and I don't mind starting off at 6month.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Justkatty(f): 6:46pm On Jan 17
And my baby started exactly at 3months embarassed
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by bukatyne(f): 6:50pm On Jan 17
YourGFsnatcher:
When he's mentally stable enough.. it's not by age. In Finland, schooling starts at 7 years. They have the best educational system. Education is not stressing children, giving them overlaod work and pressuring them. I will never do that to my chidlren. These days we want to force children to grow into fast adults. I don't know all the need to rush. Success in life is not about how early u finish school, u might finish early and still don't have sense. Because your brain has been over pressured.

Once a child is mentally strong to attend school, that is when he should start

What happens before the child is 7?
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Stanweezy(m): 6:57pm On Jan 17
limcar:
can my baby start from primary

Atleast nursery
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by lotkyes200: 7:04pm On Jan 17
My boy is 2yrs will be 3 this year everyone around are on my case to get him to school cos the guys is just too smart and sharp. But I told them no till when he is 3 so he will go to pri Nursery 1 direct nothing like play class or so His mom is doing a good Job on him why pay 60k per term for him now .
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Stanweezy(m): 7:22pm On Jan 17
Love800:
Are they not part of the educational system?
What year were they introduced?

That one na money wasting venture, just enroll your kid in nursery, then buy all this education learning tablet and give it to them

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by frozen70(f): 7:22pm On Jan 17
tammyf:
When is the right time for a child to start school , 1 ,2 or 3 years .... ? And which class should he start ? Nursery or creche ?

I think the best age to start school is 2 years

Starting with KG 1 class for one year

KG 2 for thr second year

Nursery 1, for one year

Nursery 2for another one year

Then such child will be matured for Basic 1 which is primary one

This is the system I used for my children and it worked for me

At that age a child can talk little but audible enough and can feed himself

And can still express himself with signs and words he can pronounce

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Enemyofpeace: 7:36pm On Jan 17
tammyf:
When is the right time for a child to start school , 1 ,2 or 3 years .... ? And which class should he start ? Nursery or creche ?
school begins for a child right from day one
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by ibrocool(m): 7:42pm On Jan 17
Love800:
I want to know the meaning or difference between creche, kg, and nursery?

Anyone has an idea?
Crèche is simply the baby class, starting from 6 months old to 2 years old.

Nursery is the next class after crèche, starting from 2 years to 4 years old.

Kindergarten also called kg is the next class after nursery and the class before primary 1. It is strictly for age 4 to 5.

Most schools don't understand the way the classes should be arranged. That's why they put kindergarten before the nursery class.

You can look up kindergarten in the dictionary to see for yourself.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by ibrocool(m): 7:45pm On Jan 17
kernniejay:
creche is baby group (1 to 2yrs), kindergarten is pre-nursery (2 to 3yrs) while nursery is pre-basic (3 to 5yrs) (basic is primary, from 5 to 9yrs/10yrs depending on the sch). I stand to be corrected.
. I'm sorry to say this. You are wrong about the kindergarten. Look up the word in your dictionary, it is the class before primary. So kindergarten should come after nursery.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by arantess: 7:54pm On Jan 17
brain54:
I am no expert with kids...

But I think sometimes it depends on how sharp the kid is.

But there is really no handout to these things.

Kids nowadays as quick.

Probably 4 years old... But not serious school. Those crèche whatever where they do those play things.

I told you am no an expert with kids!

4 years is actually the ideal age to start schooling
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Beyondhate: 7:56pm On Jan 17
deavicky:
which 4 years? At 4 year my daughter had started reading things. My last child just start school this year at 1year 7 months

Hello sir, please you didn't reply my mention.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by kernniejay(m): 8:09pm On Jan 17
ibrocool:
. I'm sorry to say this. You are wrong about the kindergarten. Look up the word in your dictionary, it is the class before primary. So kindergarten should come after nursery.
Ok. That is dictionary but in reality here in Nigeria, they usually put kindergaten before Nursery.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by gbagyiza: 8:10pm On Jan 17
most of these schools offering creche classes are just milking parents, they don't offer anything profitable for these kids. Infact, most of the creche class teachers subject these kids to torturing n manhandling knowing fully that the kids can't speak n expose them. They beat the kids when they mistakly pau or urinate in their clothes n when ever they make a little mistake. Smart parents needs to coach their kids at the age of 2 to 5 years when they are ready to start primary 1. Many parents are too lazy for this, n that's the reason even at age 1 most of them will run to register the child in creche.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by donwily(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17
1 year = Creche
2 years = KG 1
3 Years = KG 2
4 years = Nursery 1
5 years = Nursery 2
6 -11 years = Basic 1 - 6
12 - 17 years JSS 1 to SS 3.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by danielbello(m): 8:30pm On Jan 17
When parent/guardian are ready
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by kernniejay(m): 8:35pm On Jan 17
DivinegiftofGod:

I am telling you what is obtainable because it's my field and I've have never seen any school with kg3. I can tell you this for free because I visit so many different schools.
Hello, what is obtainable in your state may not be obtainable in another state. Also, pre-school system differs from one sch to another. Moreso, pre-sch is not well regulated because Government is less focused on all those creche, kg and nursery but is more interested from Primary (basic) upward, that is why each school (especially private schs) adopt any pre-sch system they prefer because it's not well regulated by govt. Govt only recognizes 6-3-3-4 system, shikena.

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Geovanni412(m): 8:40pm On Jan 17
tammyf:

If you can home school the child for the first six or eight years , that would be the best

That is when the child is the most susceptible to absorbing good and bad ideas.

Focus on one thing and make the child good at it whether it be chess, business, programming.

Teach him everything about that subject for six years. That's how Tiger Woods and other kid geniuses are made.

By the time the kid goes to school, he will be more focused on his goals. Our educational system is too disarrayed. How many subjects did we learn in school that we will never use to make one Kobo?

3 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Love800(m): 9:08pm On Jan 17
Hmm. I will research about dat nursery and kg, which one comes first.

Ok. But which is now ideal for a child to start from. Creche, nursery, kg?

For me i will skip the creche and nursery. My child will start from Kg and then proceed to primary. But am afraid, skipping nursery will affect him.
ibrocool:
Crèche is simply the baby class, starting from 6 months old to 2 years old.

Nursery is the next class after crèche, starting from 2 years to 4 years old.

Kindergarten also called kg is the next class after nursery and the class before primary 1. It is strictly for age 4 to 5.

Most schools don't understand the way the classes should be arranged. That's why they put kindergarten before the nursery class.

You can look up kindergarten in the dictionary to see for yourself.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Procashtips(m): 9:12pm On Jan 17
Tonididdyx:

Then states differ.
In Edo there is kg1 to 3 before the primaries.

I don't understand what you mean by kg1&2, nursery 1&2....whats that about?

The only educational stages recognised by the government is Primary, secondary and Tertiary education.

Anything else is outside the educational system.
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Love800(m): 9:14pm On Jan 17
Ok.
I can skip the creche. But am afriad of skipping the Kg aspect. Wont it affect the child?
Stanweezy:

That one na money wasting venture, just enroll your kid in nursery, then buy all this education learning tablet and give it to them
Re: When Is The Right Time For A Child To Start School ? by Procashtips(m): 9:14pm On Jan 17
Tonididdyx:

Educational system my ass.
List 3 finnish scholars you know! Below age 20

.... And bill list 10 in Nigeria below 20

I don't do well with blind argument...go online and get yourself educated

Infact a documentary was done on Finish educational system. Look it up on YouTube.

Enjoy your day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can One Find Genuine Spouse In This Era Of Ritual Killings, Organs Harvest? / Funny Things That Children Say / Is It Wrong For A Girl To Stay Alone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.