Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? (4353 Views)

"I Just Need A Rich Man That Will Be Taking Care Of Me Like His Little Sister" / Cleavage-Baring Slay Queen Showing How To make Akara Blasted For Doing This / She Treats Me Like An Option, Maybe I Am. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 1:46pm On Jan 17
Why Do Nigerians Look at Me Like a Fool for Doing This?

Ever since I returned to Nigeria years ago, I have never disposed or dropped dirt on the ground. Even when I go out and eat something, I'd rather put the peel or paper in my pocket if there is no trash can around and dispose it when I get home. It's a habit now and it's addictive.

I lived and studied in a country where everything is as neat and clean as Heaven. There is trash can every 2-3 minutes walk distance. Nobody drops things or pins on the ground except by accident and you pick it up immediately.

So, this is the life I live in Nigeria, but they always mock me as if I'm committing a crime. What is going on?

Is the right thing considered wrong in Nigeria? What is wrong in keeping the country clean and never dropping things on the floor no matter where you are?

Whenever I go out and I see people drop something on the ground, I caution them. It doesn't matter your size or age.

Everybody does it to the point that I can't keep up anymore, so I gave up, but deep down, when I see someone dropping something on the ground, all I think about is how I'll k*ll that dirty idiōt. Shege banza!

If I become your president, hmmm!

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Dimaya: 2:06pm On Jan 17
Nigeria has a culture of laziness and filth.

Changing culture is extremely hard.

All the best though

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Switinthemiddle(m): 2:13pm On Jan 17
There some things that has eaten deep into our system as citizens of this country just like religion and tribalism. I dont think those habits can readily be cured off our minds. Some people for example now if you ask them to pick up their trash they'll tell you thats whats the work of lawma.,. Hence the term 'leave trash for lawma'.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by oglalasioux(m): 3:01pm On Jan 17
In Nigeria you are a fool if you;

1. Trash your dirt properly.

2. Obey traffic lights.

3. Stop at police/ road safety checkpoints.

4. Use seat belt while driving.

5. Have complete side mirrors on your car.

The black man sees progress as oppression by the white man.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 3:46pm On Jan 17
oglalasioux:

2. Obey traffic lights.

Wow! That means I'm truly a fool. I deserve it sha. They said when in Rome, act as the Romans, but I'm acting differently. cry

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Hopez456(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:

Ever since I returned to Nigeria years ago, I have never disposed or dropped dirt on the ground. Even when I go out and eat something, I'd rather put the peel or paper in my pocket if there is no trash can around and dispose it when I get home. It's a habit now and it's addictive.

I lived and studied in a country where everything is as neat and clean as Heaven. There is trash can every 2-3 minutes walk distance. Nobody drops things or pins on the ground except by accident and you pick it up immediately.

So, this is the life I live in Nigeria, but they always mock me as if I'm committing a crime. What is going on?

Is the right thing considered wrong in Nigeria? What is wrong in keeping the country clean and never dropping things on the floor no matter where you are?

Whenever I go out and I see people drop something on the ground, I caution them. It doesn't matter your size or age.

Everybody does it to the point that I can't keep up anymore, so I gave up, but deep down, when I see someone dropping something on the ground, all I think about is how I'll k*ll that dirty idiōt. Shege banza!

God bless you for doing this.

I do the same and I don't feel ashamed at all. I keep dirts in my bag and pockets if no trash can is available.
Perhaps if Nigerian government criminalizes littering of public space, our people will adjust.

It's pathetic and worrisome seeing adults behave like kids.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Virgo01(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17
It's the same thing with me grin. Sometimes I end up leaving trash in the car because I don't even see any trash can around to dispose it, until I get home. It's as bad as that. But I hope we get it right someday.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by RaySimran: 4:40pm On Jan 17
In a transit, I bought some fresh banana and groundnut then decided to eat it right inside the bus.

After eating, I gathered up the peels tied it in the celophane bag then drop it inside my luggage.

A lady sitting beside asked why I drop such filth inside my bag, without waiting to hear me out, another female chipped-in "may be im wan carry am go give im goat for house", they all laugh.

O boy, I was so infuriated by that statement but having deal with people with diverse psyc I maintain my cool and let it slide.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by joinnow: 4:48pm On Jan 17
Even those eating banana and throwing out the peel one after the other on major road.
Common sense require you collect extra polythene bag and use it in trashing the peeling.

What of those that pee any where.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Kingray10: 4:50pm On Jan 17
RaySimran:
In a transit, I bought some fresh banana and groundnut then decided to eat it right inside the bus.

After eating, I gathered up the peels tied it in the celophane bag then drop it inside my luggage.

A lady sitting beside asked why I drop such filth inside my bag, without waiting to hear me out, another female chipped-in "may be im wan carry am go give im goat for house", they all laugh.

O boy, I was so infuriated by that statement but having deal with people with diverse psyc I maintain my cool and let it slide.
They actually mocked you for doing the right thing.
In Nigeria right is wrong, n wrong is right, similar thing with our woman also.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by excanny: 5:06pm On Jan 17
You are not supposed to do that in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 6:20pm On Jan 17
shocked

This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday while peeing on a wall, I felt really bad but there wasn't any toilet close by. I don't really need to travel to other countries to know how f*cked up we are in this part of the world, u I can imagine how you feel.

In Nigeria, those considered "insane" are forced to become the demons advocates. When my friend got back from his hometown after leaving me in his shop for 2 weeks, he found a nylon where I disposed trash because I got tired of littering everywhere with used leather and other trash.

I guess, I'm not alone when I feel horrible for dropping an empty sachet water on the road or feeling enraged when I see mountainous rubbishes with unpleasant smell.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by SporaD8: 6:21pm On Jan 17
RaySimran:

You can't help the system boyo!
Wait until you see a whiteman bring out his carrot "grin" to urinate on the side road! Something he'd flip off as a horrible nightmare were he to be in his home country!
For Clarity - In Naija, anyone driving in a straight line is considered drunk!
Whereas driving in a zigzag abroad will have you pullover!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Bigmospa: 7:04pm On Jan 17
oglalasioux:

2. Obey traffic lights.

am nt against this but guy,wen u think abt they delay from police FRSC etc you go
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Benbisco(f): 7:33pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:

Its a good habit you have there but I think it is not about the country you lived and studied in but it is a lifestyle/habit that is inborn. I can tell you for free that there are people in that same country that still litter and see nothing wrong with it and there are also some Nigerians that have never gone abroad that will never litter.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Oizee(f): 7:48pm On Jan 17
Someone once told me not to dispose empty sachets water in a trash can, when I asked why? He said "if everywhere clean who go employ cleaners?"

To me that was a weird reason for being dirty.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 7:59pm On Jan 17
Benbisco:

Its a good habit you have there but I think it is not about the country you lived and studied in but it is a lifestyle/habit that is inborn. I can tell you for free that there are people in that same country that still litter and see nothing wrong with it and there are also some Nigerians that have never gone abroad that will never litter.
It's not inborn. I used to litter before I left the country. It was there I learned littering is a crime. You go pay taya. If you're even caught chewing a gum, you go suffer.

No single living thing over there litters. Go litter thinking no one is watching you. There is hidden cameras everywhere but you'll never see them. In fact, with the level of neatness of the environment, you don't need to be told. Your conscience will judge you.

When I say no one litters, even their animals don't litter, let alone humans. You can't even drive a noisy car let alone one with small combustion. It's just different from what I know in Nigeria. That place changed my life, neatness and hygiene without being told or reading a book about it.

Environment matters, trust me. A pig that doesn't see dirt in a neat environment will adapt to neatness in no time.

If laws work in Nigeria, no country will be close to us in greatness. I swear.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 8:01pm On Jan 17
Oizee:
Someone once told me not to dispose empty sachets water in a trash can, when I asked why? He said "if everywhere clean who go employ cleaners?"

To me that was a weird reason for being dirty.
Very terrible reasoning.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 8:06pm On Jan 17
SuperOnyi:
shocked

This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday while peeing on a wall, I felt really bad but there wasn't any toilet close by. I don't really need to travel to other countries to know how f*cked up we are in this part of the world, u I can imagine how you feel.

In Nigeria, those considered "insane" are forced to become the demons advocates. When my friend got back from his hometown after leaving me in his shop for 2 weeks, he found a nylon where I disposed trash because I got tired of littering everywhere with used leather and other trash.

I guess, I'm not alone when I feel horrible for dropping an empty sachet water on the road or feeling enraged when I see mountainous rubbishes with unpleasant smell.

It's really annoying. I know Nigeria won't work in our generation, but I know one of the unborn generations will use technology to make the country great.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Wainey: 8:10pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:

guy rest, it's not just Nigeria, Even some part of USA is dirty and smelling, people drop dirt's on the street and urinate on the street too.
So stop stereotyping Nigeria as bad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by SuperOnyi: 8:18pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:

It's really annoying. I know Nigeria won't work in our generation, but I know one of the unborn generations will use technology to make the country great.

shocked

Thinking about that makes me even more depressed, I don't even want my kids to experience this abomination — Nigeria has failed the black "race" hence it has outlived its purpose. In my little knowledge, it's better it's dismembered or better still recolonized this time by China so these suckers can appreciate what they have.

But then, we've always been warned to be careful what we wish for because freedom of speech might be guaranteed but freedom after speech isn't always there—Mazi Nnamdi Kanu would agree.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 8:19pm On Jan 17
Wainey:
guy rest, it's not just Nigeria, Even some part of USA is dirty and smelling, people drop dirt's on the street and urinate on the street too.
So stop stereotyping Nigeria as bad
Can't we set examples for that part of America?

Must it be applicable in America before we'll do it? You're just too loyal to America to the point you use it as a standard and yardstick for progress.

Now they're championing LGBTQ, I know you're already on their side. Come Nigeria come do protest for LGBTQ make we mûrder you without thinking twice.

Can't you teach America one good thing? Must you fail at something because some parts of America failed at it?

Abeg, shift and rest well.

50% of the countries in Africa look up to us. We must set the standard.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by CandidAdmin(m): 8:21pm On Jan 17
The funny thing is if the government put trash cans everywhere, two things will happen.
1. Some people will still throw things on the floor even with the trash cans beside them.
2. Some idiots will steal those trash cans and thus make people dispose things on the floor.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by sanya4good(m): 8:23pm On Jan 17
Right is supposed to be right and wrong supposed to be wrong in Nigeria like other sane countries.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by GreaterFuture(m): 8:30pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:

Ever since I returned to Nigeria years ago, I have never disposed or dropped dirt on the ground.

Which Country? When did you come back?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 8:40pm On Jan 17
GreaterFuture:

Which Country? When did you come back?
I just prefer being vague at times. The only hint I'll give is to Google 10 richest countries in the world by GDP, or 10 cleanest countries in the world, or 10 safest countries in the world or 10 most expensive countries in the world.

Any of the above search, the country is there and it's at the top. That's the only hint I can give.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Wainey: 8:44pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:
Can't we set examples for that part of America?

Must it be applicable in America before we'll do it? You're just too loyal to America to the point you use it as a standard and yardstick for progress.

Now they're championing LGBTQ, I know you're already on their side. Come Nigeria come do protest for LGBTQ make we mûrder you without thinking twice.

Can't you teach America one good thing? Must you fail at something because some parts of America failed at it?

Abeg, shift and rest well.

50% of the countries in Africa look up to us. We must set the standard.

Yes I use America and the Europeans as a yardstick for success, abi u have another country I should use?
You compared Nigeria to the clean country where u did ur studies and everything is fine but when I compared Nigeria to America, u want to crucify me. Hypocrite.
Also ur post makes it look like dirty street is just particular to Nigerian and I told u even America has dirty street.

Abeg rest

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Pauliaette(m): 8:45pm On Jan 17
This is Africa
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 10:01pm On Jan 17
Wainey:
Yes I use America and the Europeans as a yardstick for success, abi u have another country I should use?
You compared Nigeria to the clean country where u did ur studies and everything is fine but when I compared Nigeria to America, u want to crucify me. Hypocrite.
Also ur post makes it look like dirty street is just particular to Nigerian and I told u even America has dirty street.

Abeg rest
Rest or learn to reason, dear.

Below is an American man sleeping with his mom. As Mr. Americana that you are, go sleep with your beautiful mom or sister and come tell us the outcome since you must use the evil in America as a yardstick in Nigeria.

If you can't do it, I won't reply you again, Mr. Americana.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Tonyx5(m): 10:17pm On Jan 17
iLegendd:
Rest or learn to reason, dear.

Below is an American man sleeping with his mom. As Mr. Americana that you are, go sleep with your beautiful mom or sister and come tell us the outcome since you must use the evil in America as a yardstick in Nigeria.

If you can't do it, I won't reply you again, Mr. Americana.
Man just hold your peace w all these bs comparison of yours
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by iLegendd(m): 10:24pm On Jan 17
Tonyx5:

Man just hold your peace w all these bs comparison of yours
You're right. So, what do you suggest Nigerians do with dirt? Wisdom from you will go a long way in advancing the country.

Thank you, Boss.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Look At Me Like A Fool For Doing This? by Krak(m): 12:59am On Jan 18
iLegendd:
I just prefer being vague at times. The only hint I'll give is to Google 10 richest countries in the world by GDP, or 10 cleanest countries in the world, or 10 safest countries in the world or 10 most expensive countries in the world.

Any of the above search, the country is there and it's at the top. That's the only hint I can give.

You are almost probably talking about Singapore.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Six Things Men Lie Mostly About / Sex Secrets Guys Wish Ladies Know About / My Mother's Friend Sent Me The Following Note?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.