Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos (29710 Views)

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . / Giannis Antetokounmpo Signs $228 Million Deal - The Richest In NBA History / Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes Forbes Highest Paid NBA Players 2018 List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Slytiger: 4:51pm On Jan 19
Father Yoruba, mother Igbo. This one is another Gbarebo.

They take a cue from the Osun State governor. Who is also half Igbo but balances his ethnicities well.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by casualobserver: 4:52pm On Jan 19
Preferito:
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.

thats why Gbadebo cannot speak yoruba

You can watch the video here:

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Enugurangers: 4:52pm On Jan 19
Why Lagos?

Onitsha and Enugu and other Igbo hinterlands are the best places to learn.

7 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by africandollar: 4:53pm On Jan 19
I thought his father was Yoruba?

He should speedily change his surname from Adetokunbo to whatever is mother's maiden name was... abi what sort of tomfoolery is this ke? You dey bear Yoruba surname come dey propagate only Igbo language? Why do women like confusing their children like this? You can't even allow the children to do something in the memory of their late father despite all he suffered to bring up these kids with you?

The man don die since and now you are the only one enjoying the wealth of your children yet you are angry when they tried to learn their father's language and preferred them learning yours instead? The man is no longer alive yet you are still competing with him, no be juju be that?

The least you could have done is support them in learning both languages...abi no be one Nigeria again?

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by moneyissweet(m): 4:54pm On Jan 19
Easy before you choke to dead.

Agbado supporter

Namaster:
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

It's an EXTREMELY dumb initiative.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by proff010: 4:54pm On Jan 19
Lost son

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Emmizofficial: 4:54pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:
I thought it was Adetokunbo?

Yes Adetokunbo but spelt in Greek alphabet.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by MrSly(m): 4:56pm On Jan 19
Namaster:
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.
You can establish yours if you are able, stop badmouthing if you lack the ability to do it right. cool cool cool

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by lexy2014: 4:56pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:
on his fathers side

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Goodnewsforlife: 4:57pm On Jan 19
Preferito:
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.
I pity any man that marries an igbo wan especially if u aren’t igbo

See the case of chinedu in Lagos, nothing is heard about d father despite been alive n the guy hates yorubas but love igbo

Many of them train their kids from tender age to hate yorubas

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Slytiger: 4:58pm On Jan 19
ednut1:
Agbado thugs on Twitter are already crying 😭

Those you call thugs are actually more intelligent than you. Governor of Osun can speak both Yoruba and Igbo. Both languages can co-exist just like the Chinese and Indian kids in western countries can speak their language and English.

Preferito:

19 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by dettolgel: 4:58pm On Jan 19
tunchi014:
... What h have you done for the next generation?

No mind that head harvester.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by troytino: 4:59pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

Go and open ya own. Bad belle!!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by ElSudani: 4:59pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

Don't blame the guy, the idea is probably his mother's idea. She most certainly changed their surname. Nobody will just accept the type of mistake they attributed to the weird sounding name.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by kingthreat(m): 4:59pm On Jan 19
This is a case where a father lost his home to his wife.
Even the Yoruba last name is spelt wrongly.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by ariesbull: 4:59pm On Jan 19
Armaggedon:
Not surprising. It's common for most Nigerians with Igbo maternal links to identify as Igbo .
that's how it ought to be

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by dettolgel: 5:00pm On Jan 19
Goodnewsforlife:
I pity any man that marries an igbo wan especially if u aren’t igbo

See the case of chinedu in Lagos, nothing is heard about d father despite been alive n the guy hates yorubas but love igbo

Many of them train their kids from tender age to hate yorubas

I am sorry but most Yoruba men are irresponsible. Ask Yoruba women married to Igbo men, they will tell you that Igbo men don't joke with their family.

If you are an irresponsible man you want your wife and children to still adore you, bros park one side. grin

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Shikena(m): 5:00pm On Jan 19
Now you understand how Gbadebo finished himself compared with Ademola Adeleke in Osun. The moment they sense your mother is an ‘agenda’ one, just forget it.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Menclothing: 5:01pm On Jan 19
Preferito:

A very bad mother

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by valx2: 5:02pm On Jan 19
Armaggedon:
Not surprising. It's common for most Nigerians with Igbo maternal links to identify as Igbo .
Better for him. Since they claimed that GRV is an Igbo man

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Konquest: 5:02pm On Jan 19
DanseMacabre:

That's the Hellenic (Greek) pronunciation.
It's NOT a Greek pronunciation.

Even the Greeks who were interviewed in the media don't know the literal meaning of Antetokoumpo because it's NOT a Hellenic or Greek name. Giannis had to tell them that it means "From across the sea" which literally has the same meaning for the name Adetokunbo which means "A crown brought from across the ocean (or sea)" in the Yoruba language.

That corrupted name "Antetokoumpo" was a so-called misspelling in the documentation of the family Yoruba name Adetokunbo when Giannis' passport was being prepared for him after he turned 18 years because he and his four brothers were NOT officially Greek citizens even though they were born in Greece to non-Greek parents. The first born child of the family, Francis Ofili Adetokunbo was left behind in Lagos, Nigeria when Charles Adetokunbo and his wife migrated to Greece in 1991 via Turkey for greener pastures.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Goodnewsforlife: 5:03pm On Jan 19
dettolgel:

I am sorry but most Yoruba men are irresponsible. Ask Yoruba women married to Igbo men, they will tell you that Igbo men don't joke with their family.

If you are an irresponsible man you want your wife and children to still adore you, bros park one side. grin
only igbos are responsible, Yoruba fathers aren’t responsible right?

No problem

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by DarkJeddi(m): 5:04pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

You are not an Igbo,so Oga rest..
If you are an Igbo you would know the relevance of what he did to the Igbo community..
Don't ever use what obtains in your neck of the woods to judge others..

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Ofodirinwa: 5:04pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

You sound envious. Igbo is more valuable than coding and and talent scouting. IF you don't believe so, don't enroll.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by sammyj: 5:05pm On Jan 19
The father is Yoruba while is mother is Igbo
CandidAdmin:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by nnanna69(m): 5:05pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:

"While the world knows Antetokounmpo for his Greek nationality, popularly touted as the "Greek Freak," a nickname he's embraced, those closest to him call him "Ugo." It's the star's Nigerian name, as he's the son of parents Charles and Veronica Adetokunbo. They immigrated from Lagos to Athens, having to change their surname to Antetokounmpo in the process, and there, the star and three of his four brothers were born."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Ensa777(f): 5:06pm On Jan 19
Preferito:

And now he's dead ,it's totally gone. As a foreigner he doesn't understand what he just narrated but as an Igbo,I was appalled with what the mother did added to the Igbo learning center.Nah!
Those boys just lost out on the knowledge of 2 major languages because of 2 ppl's ego.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Goodnewsforlife: 5:06pm On Jan 19
valx2:

Better for him. Since they claimed that GRV is an Igbo man
how will u claim a Yoruba man when u were born n brought up in lagos( Yoruba land) but u can’t speak Yoruba but u can speak igbo

He even has a chieftancy title in faraway igbo land but cant relate with yorubas in any way n that same person want to claim Yoruba?

Same man who insulted yorubas n called them derogatory names

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by AyakaDunukofia: 5:07pm On Jan 19
EZIGBO NWADIANI!!! WE APPRECIATE YOU GIANNIS. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THE CHANCE MEETING IN ATHENS.

RIGHT THING TO DO. AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU'LL BE REGARDED JUST AS GBADEBO RHODES.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Kinzo0917(m): 5:07pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:

His dad is yoruba

While his mum is Igbo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by hammer567: 5:08pm On Jan 19

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Bids Farewell To Marcelo / Vincent Enyeama Poses With Family (pics) / Odewengie And Wife Celebrate 4th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.