Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,338 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos (29705 Views)

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . / Giannis Antetokounmpo Signs $228 Million Deal - The Richest In NBA History / Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes Forbes Highest Paid NBA Players 2018 List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Bahdguyishere: 11:01pm On Jan 19
Nonny95:

https://westafricaweekly.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-unveils-igbo-learning-centre-for-kids-in-lagos/
They have used tribalism to turn this one's name Adetokunbo to Antetokounpo sad sad

Ori Ade pada sunta grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Zool6: 11:04pm On Jan 19
Rapper Skepa mum is mrs Ify Adenuga is an Igbowoman. ,u hear of Miriam Chidiebere Olusonya Victoria Osondu Adefela ,Nonye Ayeni,Nnenna Kayode lawal Ifeanyi Adefarasin one Igbo prof in Lagos business school bears kayode I m sure she is also married to a yoruba man i dont think any educated Yoruba man married to Igbo woman will ban his children from learning there mother tongue the least he will do is for them to learn both languages and cultures

Nomaly Yoruba men fancy Igbo women marriage also Igbo women easily get adopted to new environments and see no big deal in inter tribal marriages

quote author=Kennyswag post=128025331] When did skepta become igbo?[/quote]
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by LAFOCUZY: 11:09pm On Jan 19
Armaggedon:
Not surprising. It's common for most Nigerians with Igbo maternal links to identify as Igbo .

The igbo woman is a force and dorminant, a powerful influence on her kids

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by sukkot: 11:11pm On Jan 19
BolaAThubv:
Lols... In your angst, you forgot to write with paragraphs. Nice piece, looking at it from an academic point of view but in actual reality, it is borne out of fear, anxiety, trepidation, bitterness tinged with a good dose of hatred.

You're actually an intelligent guy though... But unfortunately you tend to lean more to the negative.

Back to your PhD thesis... Would you care to elaborate on why most Yoruba men would rather have Igbo wives despite these anomalies you listed in your write up? For every 100 Yoruba men that marries an Igbo woman, you might find just one Igbo man willing to wife a Yoruba woman. Could explain the dynamics behind that
noooooooo bro I do not want you to see this from a tribal point of view because it is not. This is not representative of all igbos. I am talking about certain feminists in the Igbo culture who have sworn never to marry into the culture because it offers them no power and they want power. So this is nothing to do with tribalism. This is the metaphysical explanation of the relationship dynamics of these feminists who marry out for power. They are not marrying into the culture of the guy they are going for, and neither do they care about his culture, they are just in the union for the power and authority they can exude.

As for why Yoruba guys flock to Igbo women, men love women who have some white genes in them. They like lightness etc. during the colonial era the Igbo genes was diluted by white men and so we are like 8 or 9 generations removed from that era and so in reality many Igbo women are what they call octaroons and nonaroons and septaroons meaning a slight admixture with white people. Obviously not all Igbo women are like this but quite a number of them are. So naturally guys , especially Yoruba guys like light skin women .

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by BigBlackPreek(m): 11:12pm On Jan 19
Pierohandsome:
People born outside, and never have any link with Nigeria aside that maybe one of their parents or Grand parents are Nigerians , will still return back to do something for the country.

But the ones with full Nigeria affiliation will not do anything , rather they buy multiple cars and post on Instagram, bad mouthing Nigeria and be bragging up and down.

Goodwill sometimes stems from our environment rather than blood
your second to the last paragraph really got me laughing as Dino Melaye came to mind. on a serious note, God's intervention is just what we need in this country oh
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by LAFOCUZY: 11:13pm On Jan 19
Namaster:
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

It's an EXTREMELY dumb initiative.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.

If you do not promote your language values and culture, they disappear.

BTW, you cannot educate a man on how to spend his wealth. You can make yours and spend it any how you choose, afterall wealthy folks like the CEO of apple sponsor gay movements with tonnes of dollars.

3 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Draslo(m): 11:14pm On Jan 19
Preferito:
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.
Na their way
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Princedapace(m): 11:24pm On Jan 19
einsteine:

Are those not monoethnic countries? Don't compare with Nigeria, especially with the centralised type of rule that has been the norm in Nigeria since 1967. Everyone should embrace English.
And leave our individual language? What happens when the country split in the future? We will start tracing our lanuages again?
Nah, doesnt make sense. Promoting one's ethnic culture is not bad, it is highly encouraged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Eriokanmi: 11:40pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:
I thought it was Adetokunbo?
Yes
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Eriokanmi: 11:42pm On Jan 19
Armaggedon:
Not surprising. It's common for most Nigerians with Igbo maternal links to identify as Igbo .
But Gbadebo, the labour guber aspirant did not. Tribalism is Nigeria's problem. We can never develop without erasing this menace from our brain

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Zool6: 11:47pm On Jan 19
Nice one elites yoruba men with Igbo women are busy creating world stars few once are killing themselves on nairaland ,,,,,,,Rapper Rotimi signed by 50cent G-Unit mum is also Igbo Rotimi even said he was an born in Owerri most of his cousins are there in Owerri before her parents migrated to USA

quote author=hammer567 post=128026048]

hahahahahaha!

Now u ackmowledge his mother.

Go and tell him dat to his face and let me know how it goes.

I'm sure he care about his mother

https://www.tiktok.com/@okwuid/video/7162093602347207941[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Fearyourcreator: 11:51pm On Jan 19
Pierohandsome:
People born outside, and never have any link with Nigeria aside that maybe one of their parents or Grand parents are Nigerians , will still return back to do something for the country.

But the ones with full Nigeria affiliation will not do anything , rather they buy multiple cars and post on Instagram, bad mouthing Nigeria and be bragging up and down.

Goodwill sometimes stems from our environment rather than blood
They are the real modern slave ... Awon oloriburuku... You go hear I go Japa no come back again... Nigeria no need yansh washer

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Fearyourcreator: 11:53pm On Jan 19
Preferito:
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.
Igbos ehn...
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Fearyourcreator: 11:55pm On Jan 19
Zool6:
Some men are too possessive and always see women as commodities they bought with money there dad probably didn't want the children to learn anything about there mother side reason for clash of intrest I have seen where men even go physical on there wives just for speaking her own language to her kids
but such men always end up loosing out as most children tend to have soft spot and embraces there mother the more

We can't have kids together only for u to ban them from learning about my culture and language but must learn only urs
It dosen't work like that why not allow the kids learn both ur language and that of there mum doese it stop them from being ur kids or u being there father??

Woman pack come your house no be you pack go hers... She should be ready to be everything you want

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Zool6: 11:55pm On Jan 19
So Yorubas wasn't sold during slave trade then who where those shiped from badagry creek?? Why are u people shouting there are yorubas in Brazil cuba Trinidad and Tobago etc ?? ,,why are there many families in yoruba land known as returnees bearing names like Silva. Etc

quote author=Christlike01 post=128026706]

Attached receipt is one of the reasons why you guys are actually running away from your own identity and heritage. But the truth remains what it is,the truth;Lagos has nothing in common with some primitive bushmen whose ancestors were sold in droves into the slavery by their neighbors!

Lagos is YORUBA LAND ![/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Fearyourcreator: 11:55pm On Jan 19
DanseMacabre:
Amazing. Before the documentary, I never knew he had Igbo blood. Nigeria's loss anyways, and I know for certain if he'd remained in this godforsaken country he'd be just another statistic.
Dangote is the richest blackman ...

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Zool6: 12:17am On Jan 20
U came here with this nonsense again yesterday u claimed Ugo mother is Anioma delta North today after seeing the headline before u now is ibo speaking delta north Anioma

Just as u correctly identify the father as Yoruba

The mother is simply Igbo

That is what Ugo said he mixed Igbo/ Yoruba

He also opened Igbo language class not Anioma if there is any language like that class

You are pained Ugo have Igbo mum

More pain is loading because many Elites yoruba men in USA are married to Igbowomen

Very soon it will

Top USA Rapper Skepa
With his Igbo mum landing in Nigeria

Or
G-Unit 50cent co rapper
Rotimi touching down with his Igbo mum

Davido just bought over 4b worth of Land in Eko Atlantic city where he said he is building for his Igbo wife and twice

Maybe the poor once shouting ronu should just go away and die because it seems most rich or elites yoruba dont feel complete without marrying a beautiful good cooking light skin Igbo women

quote author=Konquest post=128027264]
I want to come in here.

To be brutally honest, Charles Adetokunbo shouldn't have even accepted his children adopting the bastardized family name Antetokoumpo instead of Adetokunbo when the Greek passport folks made that misspelling error. That Antetokoumpo error ought to have been corrected long ago! That name "Antetokoumpo" is a very BIG insult to Yorubas and Africans (because even that name has NO meaning in the Greek language and many Greeks who were interviewed in the media don't know the meaning). African names have meanings. Many Nigerians and Africans in the Diapora proudly rock their Yoruba, Asanti, or Swahili names, so it is sacrilegious to adopt a meaningless name in place of the original Adetokunbo family name.

The name Adetokunbo is a prestigious Yoruba name meaning "A crown brought from across the ocean (or sea)." It is the duty of every father to provide guidance or direction for his family and the mothers too should complement their spouses in a multicultural marriage setting. My BIGGEST wish would be for Thanasis, Giannis, and their two younger brothers living in the U.S. to officially REVERT back to the use of the original family name ADETOKUNBO.

In any event, I'm glad that Charles Adetokunbo who hailed from Abeokuta but lived in Lagos State with his wife and first son, Francis Adetokunbo before their 1991 migration to Greece met and interacted well with the basketball legend Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon who played for the Houston Rockets, in Texas, and was also the 1994 NBA, MVP just like Giannis became the 3rd ever person in NBA history to win an MVP. Hakeem Olajuwon interacts and trains with Giannis and the rest of his brothers. So, it is hoped that he would learn more about his father's Yoruba folks who number over 55 million people in Africa from Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, and Ivory Coast, with a large Diaspora population of Yorubas in the U.S., UK, Canada, France, Belgium, etc.

Indeed, Giannis has a Yoruba father and an Ibo-speaking mother from the North of Delta State, so he has to gravitate towards both sides and Giannis' mother will do well to introduce her children to her late husband's family so that Giannis and his siblings would get to know their uncles, aunts, and cousins of their father's side of the family.

Last but not least, it wasn't a good PR for her and the family to take the 29-year-old Giannis 'Sina Ugo Adetokunbo to see only her own side of the family in Lagos without connecting with the paternal side. From here on out, there should be all-inclusiveness in embrassing cultural values from both sides of the family tree by the Adetokunbos.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:41am On Jan 20
Armaggedon:

Children normally feel more for their mums than their dads! It's also down to who was more in their lives growing up, and who they see as having sacrificed more for them. I don't know the situation of Ugo growing up, but i feel he should sponsor a language centre for both languages of his parents.

3 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:58am On Jan 20
sukkot:
Truth of the matter is that Gianni’s is a simp and a mamas boy but you can’t blame him for that because he is dealing with a battle axe called a mother. What you people need to understand is that Igbo people are very cohesive in culture and yet that culture does not allow the women to have any kind of power and yet they are tied to this culture so within this dynamics are the bull headed strong feminists who still want to be with men but are not willing to submit to being less than in the Igbo culture. You see these Igbo women who seek out Yoruba men to marry are feminists strong bull headed battle axe who are willing to break culture protocol to get what they want. To them feminists is greater than culture and being that they are not lesbian , they seek men from other cultures where they can dominate and be the battle axe that they are. So when you see an Igbo woman marrying a Yoruba man , that’s a battle axe who purposely chose that type of union because she wants dominance and the Igbo culture does not offer dominance. And if you look at the faces of these women they almost look like men. Look at aketis wife’s face or gbadebo mum or Gianni’s mum ? These are battle axes. And so a male child has no chance when even their fathers had no chance against these battle axes. Aketis son and gbarebo and Gianni’s ? All under the thumb of the battle axe feminist. They stood no chance against these dragons. And yet the battle axe loves her culture because she is from it but she just does not want to be subjugated to the fact that she has no power under it but she would port to where she has power but will still impose her culture in this new environment as the boss lady. This why gbarebo and giannis have been beaten into igbodom by the feminist battle axe who ported to a side where she can exude her feminist and cultural power over her spawns

This post is just dripping with bile and condescension!

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Tzar(m): 1:08am On Jan 20
There is nothing wrong with this. These Igbo children and some of their parents need to learn more about the beautiful igbo culture that is fast becoming lost. Maybe they will be more respectful and cultured.
I just hope he is setting up same in all the SE states, otherwise the owners of Lagos (Yorubas) will read meaning into this act.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:12am On Jan 20
Truthisit:

He should have known the proper location for such project. Onitsha, Nnewi or Owerri are not bad.

Lagos is a good location! I have no crystal ball, but i'd wager Igbo kids in Lagos are not as proficient in speaking the language as their brothers and sisters back home in Alaigbo!
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by sukkot: 1:16am On Jan 20
PROUDIGBO:

This post is just dripping with bile and condescension!
only cuz you are viewing it from a tribal subjective mindset
sukkot:
noooooooo bro I do not want you to see this from a tribal point of view because it is not. This is not representative of all igbos. I am talking about certain feminists in the Igbo culture who have sworn never to marry into the culture because it offers them no power and they want power. So this is nothing to do with tribalism. This is the metaphysical explanation of the relationship dynamics of these feminists who marry out for power. They are not marrying into the culture of the guy they are going for, and neither do they care about his culture, they are just in the union for the power and authority they can exude.

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by leanonme82: 1:34am On Jan 20
Slytiger:
Father Yoruba, mother Igbo. This one is another Gbarebo.

They take a cue from the Osun State governor. Who is also half Igbo but balances his ethnicities well.
Their mother died when they were younger and they grew up in yorubaland. Dts why the governor and his brothers lean Yoruba.

Most intertribal kids will marry out though. As u can see Davidos father and the governor married outsiders (although Adelekes new wife is Yoruba). But by the 2nd generation all the kids have married out.

Davido only understands Yoruba cos his mother died young. He is just 25% Yoruba and none of his 5 kids have a Yoruba name. They will mostly not speak the language cos they’ll be raised by their mothers.

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by hammer567: 1:56am On Jan 20
Tzar:
There is nothing wrong with this. These Igbo children and some of their parents need to learn more about the beautiful igbo culture that is fast becoming lost. Maybe they will be more respectful and cultured.
I just hope he is setting up same in all the SE states, otherwise the owners of Lagos (Yorubas) will read meaning into this act.

What tribe is he?

You this bigots wont rest until u get your ass kicked in Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Ishilove: 2:58am On Jan 20
chiedozie198100:

Seems like the dad's fault, when I saw the butchering of the surname I knew something wasn't right.

Why would the father allow that?
I really wonder

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by codemaniacs: 3:33am On Jan 20
Konquest:

I want to come in here.

To be brutally honest, Charles Adetokunbo shouldn't have even accepted his children adopting the bastardized family name Antetokoumpo instead of Adetokunbo when the Greek passport folks made that misspelling error. That Antetokoumpo error ought to have been corrected long ago! That name "Antetokoumpo" is a very BIG insult to Yorubas and Africans (because even that name has NO meaning in the Greek language and many Greeks who were interviewed in the media don't know the meaning). African names have meanings. Many Nigerians and Africans in the Diapora proudly rock their Yoruba, Asanti, or Swahili names, so it is sacrilegious to adopt a meaningless name in place of the original Adetokunbo family name.

The name Adetokunbo is a prestigious Yoruba name meaning "A crown brought from across the ocean (or sea)." It is the duty of every father to provide guidance or direction for his family and the mothers too should complement their spouses in a multicultural marriage setting. My BIGGEST wish would be for Thanasis, Giannis, and their two younger brothers living in the U.S. to officially REVERT back to the use of the original family name ADETOKUNBO.

In any event, I'm glad that Charles Adetokunbo who hailed from Abeokuta but lived in Lagos State with his wife and first son, Francis Adetokunbo before their 1991 migration to Greece met and interacted well with the basketball legend Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon who played for the Houston Rockets, in Texas, and was also the 1994 NBA, MVP just like Giannis became the 3rd ever person in NBA history to win an MVP. Hakeem Olajuwon interacts and trains with Giannis and the rest of his brothers. So, it is hoped that he would learn more about his father's Yoruba folks who number over 55 million people in Africa from Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, and Ivory Coast, with a large Diaspora population of Yorubas in the U.S., UK, Canada, France, Belgium, etc.

Indeed, Giannis has a Yoruba father and an Ibo-speaking mother from the North of Delta State, so he has to gravitate towards both sides and Giannis' mother will do well to introduce her children to her late husband's family so that Giannis and his siblings would get to know their uncles, aunts, and cousins of their father's side of the family.

Last but not least, it wasn't a good PR for her and the family to take the 29-year-old Giannis 'Sina Ugo Adetokunbo to see only her own side of the family in Lagos without connecting with the paternal side. From here on out, there should be all-inclusiveness in embrassing cultural values from both sides of the family tree by the Adetokunbos.

Olajuwon is a stranger to him and can never influence him.

There can never be "all-inclusiveness" because his mum is not encouraging it and will never embrace it because that is not the igbo way of doing things and it is also not the natural human way of doing things.

It is natural of humans to impose their culture on others.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by codemaniacs: 3:44am On Jan 20
sukkot:

As for why Yoruba guys flock to Igbo women, men love women who have some white genes in them. They like lightness etc. during the colonial era the Igbo genes was diluted by white men and so we are like 8 or 9 generations removed from that era and so in reality many Igbo women are what they call octaroons and nonaroons and septaroons meaning a slight admixture with white people. Obviously not all Igbo women are like this but quite a number of them are. So naturally guys , especially Yoruba guys like light skin women .

Yorubas don't like light skin women.
Yoruba men don't flock to igbo women.

Men naturally crave sex and will stay hooked to who they have sex with.

igbo women make it easy for Yoruba men to have sex with them and from then on the Yoruba men end up impregnating igbo women which then ends in marriage..

It has nothing to do with feminism, the average igbo woman who marries a Yoruba man wants to be head of the family so indirectly there are two people dragging the role of the head of the family which should not be so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by casualobserver: 3:47am On Jan 20
Ensa777:

I thought I was replying a sane mind.

You said it was because his father died, address that lie. No sane wife has any business fighting a man over the culture or origin of a man’s son. Did she marry an ibo man?

It is not her fault. It is the fault of the Yoruba man who marries women that their own men deem unfit for marriage and will not marry.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Brendaniel: 4:04am On Jan 20
Gboom:

What is Igbo heritage in this if not his mother playing ethnic cards, if she has her way, she would have changed the boy's surname to her father name but that one is not possible anymore. The mother to me is a selfish fellow, why did she not allow the boy to embark on a project that will benefit all Nigeria tribes and not Ibos alone.
Meanwhile his surname describes his heritage likewise you

Well, he has decided to listen to his mother, he is a grown adult who can decide what is best for himself....
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by ignisaqua(f): 4:06am On Jan 20
Namaster:
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

It's an EXTREMELY dumb initiative.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.

Coming from a dumb reasoning homo sapien.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by DanseMacabre(m): 4:27am On Jan 20
Konquest:

It's NOT a Greek pronunciation.

Even the Greeks who were interviewed in the media don't know the literal meaning of Antetokoumpo because it's NOT a Hellenic or Greek name. Giannis had to tell them that it means "From across the sea" which literally has the same meaning for the name Adetokunbo which means "A crown brought from across the ocean (or sea)" in the Yoruba language.

That corrupted name "Antetokoumpo" was a so-called misspelling in the documentation of the family Yoruba name Adetokunbo when Giannis' passport was being prepared for him after he turned 18 years because he and his four brothers were NOT officially Greek citizens even though they were born in Greece to non-Greek parents. The first born child of the family, Francis Adetokunbo was left behind in Lagos, Nigeria when Charles Adetokunbo and his wife migrated to Greece in 1991 via Turkey for greener pastures.

@ bolded, if you consider that:

1. The odds of a Nigerian data entry immigration clerk making that kind of error, not just for a couple of letters, but the pronunciation of the entire name, are quite minimal.

2. 'Giannis' is the anglicised spelling/pronunciation of the Greek/Hellenic 'Yanni'; and 'Thanasis' as well as the name of the youngest brother which I can't readily remember are all intentional Greek names; indicating a willingness by the parents to fully assimilate themselves into Greek society.

3. The 'mistake' was left to stand and extended not just to Giannis alone, but the entire family;

then it should be apparent to you that my statement is more inclined to be correct.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Bulldozer90: 5:20am On Jan 20
This thread should be titled " a million tears" grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Scores 2 Screamers To Become 2023 Highest Goal Scorer (Photos) / Liverpool Completes £67 Million Alisson Deal / Cristiano Ronaldo Bids Farewell To Marcelo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.