Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! (27391 Views)

The Act That Inspires Me In My New Street In Calabar (photos) / Lady Shares Photos Of Dirty House Of A Benin 'Big Boy' She Visited / Landlady Discovers Dirty State Of Toilet After Dirty Tenant Moved Out (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by TimeManager(m): 9:36am On Jan 20
Don't waste your money, the permanent solution is to drill a new one and ensure they use plenty of water during the drilling.

-kiss the truth!

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by correctyourself(m): 9:40am On Jan 20
Grupo:
Hello all,

Please I drilled a new borehole for my village house.

According to the geologist who did the survey, we'd get water at 65 meters. So I paid him to bring drillers to drill 65m well.

After the whole drilling and installation, and flushing of the well, I noticed that each time I pump the water, the well brings out dirty brown water for like 20 minutes before it starts bringing out clean water.

And the next time I pump the water, it repeats the same way. I have contacted the drilling company and they are not saying anything useful.

Please I will appreciate contributions from experienced people on how to navigate this challenge.

Please @mods, or the mod in charge of this section, kindly help me push this to the front page. I really need opinions.

Thanks.

I have seen same situation, it was like after one year before the water became clean till today it's ok without using chemicals.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Elsueno: 9:40am On Jan 20
Grupo:

I have pumped the water for more than three hours nonstop before. Yet this continues.

When you start pumping at first, the water is dirty but clears after like 10 to 20 minutes. And the water remains clean like that for the rest of the day.

But once I try to pump again the following day, it starts with very dirty water again. And continues for like another 10 to 20 minutes before it clears and becomes clean.

This would take a while to clear out, I have seen something similar in the north, it took almost a month of constant usage before it stopped..The borehole was sunk when the house was undergoing some major renovations, So the water was put to use like that. till it cleared out.

I even thought the brown thingy is a feature of new boreholes sha
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Godstiger(m): 9:41am On Jan 20
Will still settle and also get a filter
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by CrownOfClay724: 9:42am On Jan 20
Tonididdyx:

Water is everywhere.
Your community needs govt subsidy or intervention to drill a standard borehole using hardcore industrial drillibg companies.

There's a place called ekpoma in EdO, it suffers same fate because the water bed is so so so so down in the earth over there, it's not a project any private house can undergo alone.
So the govt drills their boreholes in selected areas for the people.

You bring back memories grin

I remember a contractor that was given a borehole project during Adams Oshiomole.

Man dug and dug and didn't see water.
They built a stanchion, installed tanks and used a water truck to pump water into the tanks.

Oshiomole came, opened taps and commissioned borehole.
That was the first and last time water came out of those taps.

Borehole in some places is not anybody's mate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Dantedasz(m): 9:43am On Jan 20
Grupo:
Hello all,

According to the geologist who did the survey, we'd get water at 65 meters. So I paid him to bring drillers to drill 65m well.

After the whole drilling and installation, and flushing of the well, I noticed that each time I pump the water, the well brings out dirty brown water for like 20 minutes before it starts bringing out clean water.

And the next time I pump the water, it repeats the same way. I have contacted the drilling company and they are not saying anything useful.

Please I will appreciate contributions from experienced people on how to navigate this challenge.

Please @mods, or the mod in charge of this section, kindly help me push this to the front page. I really need opinions.

Thanks.

Good day.

There are two solutions.
1. You sink a fresh borehole beyond the depth of the one you are currently using. The problem with this solution is that if the water in your area is poor then the pumping machine may still bring up the bad water before the good water.
2. The second solution is to use the current bore hole as it is and then set up a mini treatment plant. In this process you buy a bigger rubber tank which is to serve as the first reservoir. This big tank is to be sited close to the submersible pump and recieves water directly.
A treatment plant with chemicals is also sited near the tank (The engineers know how this is done)
You will also need an elevated scaffold stand upon which you place the second smaller tank.
You will also need a surface pumping machine.
This is how it works: You pump the first water into the big tank until it fills up . You switch off the submersible pump and then use the surface pumping machine to pump the water through the treatment plant (where the water is purified and all impurities are eliminated. ) into the smaller tank on top of the scaffolding before use. This is the only way to eliminate the impure water.

Either way you are going to have to spend money!
Good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by NwokoloOwa: 9:47am On Jan 20
Where in Ebonyi State? Likely the borehole is with the Eze Aku Formation or the Asu River Group of geological formations of the Benue Trough

Three major issues or questions

1. Maybe the borehole was no flushed long enough including pump testing for at least 24hrs.
2. Not well gravel packed or not gravel packed at all.
3. Formational issues tied to the geology and structure of the acquifer (ie the water bearing formation or rock)

These have to be re-evaluated so the right decisions can be take to provide some remedy.

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by brandybria(f): 9:50am On Jan 20
It happened to my borehole, I was asked to keep pumping it for longer hours. With time it stoped bringing out dirty water
Grupo:

I have pumped the water for more than three hours nonstop before. Yet this continues.

When you start pumping at first, the water is dirty but clears after like 10 to 20 minutes. And the water remains clean like that for the rest of the day.

But once I try to pump again the following day, it starts with very dirty water again. And continues for like another 10 to 20 minutes before it clears and becomes clean.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by vikstandon(m): 9:54am On Jan 20
Grupo:
Hello all,

Thanks.

You didn't get to the waterbed... Your water level is closer to where it mixes with other surface water.

Tell them to come and go further (in depth)

Most of those Drillers are cunny, they don't want to painstakingly drill further depth to give you what you want. Most of them, their machines is not sophisticated as to go deeper... so they convince you to agree with the depth that they are willing to go... and that is the Contract you have with them and your bargain with them.

Next time your Contract with a Borehole Driller, would be that you are paying him for a clean and clear water... so if he doesn't get to a depth that would give you sustainable clean and clear water he will redo the job.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by guchie4u(m): 9:55am On Jan 20
I believe it is because the pump is to close to the bottom of the hole, the pump should be at least a meter from the bottom of the hole because that location could be part of the Cretaceous sedimentary unit.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Mohisah: 9:58am On Jan 20
Leakage
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by AKzee(m): 9:59am On Jan 20
Dept of your borehole isn't enough. 65m in Ebonyi state is not good enough. You should have asked for more depth even after the survey. 90m could have prevented the dirty water.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Kutunban: 10:02am On Jan 20
It's common but but it will stop over time.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by stagger: 10:02am On Jan 20
Did you case it properly?

Also 65m seems to me to be too shallow to produce clean water. That water is gonna be prone to contamination.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 10:04am On Jan 20
Waffarianman:
Flush or not flush it will still bring out dirty water the driller didn't do their job well. If not money will ask you to inform another driller to drill another borehole in another part of the compound for you to get clean water for use.
It like you people domt know how much borehole is drilled
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by HIV1: 10:06am On Jan 20
[You are not a geologist , I am . Drilling a new borehole is waste of money and time. The hole was not well cased.that is why leakage of clay into the hole does occur. Such hole can be rectified by simply lined the well with smaller diameter casing Make sure you the water clean before removing thr pump and line it immediately. The problem is minimal
. quote author=TimeManager post=128031971]Don't waste your money, the permanent solution is to drill a new one and ensure they use plenty of water during the drilling.

-kiss the truth![/quote]
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Sergio101(m): 10:07am On Jan 20
NwokoloOwa:
Where in Ebonyi State? Likely the borehole is with the Eze Aku Formation or the Asu River Group of geological formations of the Benue Trough

Three major issues or questions

1. Maybe the borehole was no flushed long enough including pump testing for at least 24hrs.
2. Not well gravel packed or not gravel packed at all.

3. Formational issues tied to the geology and structure of the acquirer (ie the water bearing formation or rock)

These have to be re-evaluated so the right decisions can be take to provide some remedy.

Straight hit!!!

Also maybe the summo used has a higher HP than required(cos it's a shallow well)

Are you a Geologist??
Like your point is just the best in the thread
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by oneMalik: 10:08am On Jan 20
Nothing is wrong with your borehole .

Am just coming home from my site where I had same issue .

the only thing you'll do is to keep pumping the water time to time even thou you don't need water ....

it will clear I can assure you cos soil is different from place to place .

Mine is even 85m and we were there for almost 3months cos of stones and some gum clay like that .

no be joke o !

3months.

Grupo:
Hello all,

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Sergio101(m): 10:10am On Jan 20
stagger:
Did you case it properly?

Also 65m seems to me to be too shallow to produce clean water. That water is gonna be prone to contamination.

No

Some formations has their aquifer at shallow Dept

So far proper survey was done....I don't think this should be the issue
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by baresy007(m): 10:10am On Jan 20
Seeing the colour of the water doesn't tell it's from the clay, I suspect it's the bag of sand that was being used to guide the borehole that fell inside the hole. So the solution to it is to get a drilling company to use there pipes to back flush the borehole for you properly and use sugar chemical while doing that. If the problem continue then you have to contact a plumber to direct a discharge whenever you first pump
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Bullfallo(m): 10:11am On Jan 20
Grupo:
More information:

I don't think they case the wall with one chemical like that. There is a chemical they uses to cement the wall. When dry it seals the wall. You will have to remove the installation. But before then use it for like 6 months or 1 year. It might improve

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 10:17am On Jan 20
Grupo:
Hello all,

Thanks.
I am currently facing the same issue. Mine, I will have to pump out 100 litres, before directing the rest to my storage tank.
But my plumber advice that I install another pipe so the machine can go down further, run the water for like 2 hours, therafter we remove the extra pipe.
The day we planned on doing it, after installing the pipe, 10 minutes gone, my generator amatur got burnt.
Some borehole drillers are devils, I drilled my bore hole in 2019, I was unable to supervise, imagine this bast+RDS installed 3quarter pump with fake aluminium wire inside a depth of 120feet borehole.. around that 2019 things were still cheaper than, we detected the wires were fake in 2022. Spent over 15k buying original wire last 2 years,
This year,I just bought 1 hp pump to replace the 3 quarter. Omo I weak

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by ImoleNaija: 10:24am On Jan 20
CrownOfClay724:

You bring back memories grin

I remember a contractor that was given a borehole project during Adams Oshiomole.

Man dug and dug and didn't see water.
They built a stanchion, installed tanks and used a water truck to pump water into the tanks.

Oshiomole came, opened taps and commissioned borehole.
That was the first and last time water came out of those taps.

Borehole in some places is not anybody's mate.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by omenka1: 10:27am On Jan 20
You have nothing serious to worry about ur borehole
Time heals wound, ur borehole only need some pumpage time to run clean.
By the way, when exactly was the borehole sank
Was there much of clay samples during the drilling? Cos I strongly suspect this, also the drillers seem not to have taken their time to do back flushing after causing the well, but like I said before, time heals wound.

This is an experienced geologist n Driller speaking
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Gentlesoul2021(m): 10:28am On Jan 20
EEIA:
grin
This Topic Reminded me of the Nairaland Loves of my life. Sweetbuns and JennyClay. cool

may your boreholes never run dry. grin

grin grin grin
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by mariovito(m): 10:28am On Jan 20
Ebonyi is a very rocky terrain.

Getting water is actually a Herculean task.

What I think is Happening here is that not so clean water seeps into the borehole well down to the point where the suction of the sumo pump is located, reason why everyday it starts of with dirty water that has percolated the day before.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by incogni2o: 10:34am On Jan 20
Worldlegend:
Wisdom demands you don’t stop pumping… to avoid the first 20mins dirty drop..

Check my dm for you thesis, research and or projects

Wisdom?

Is this solution feasible? Where will he pumps the water to when the tank becomes full

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Trophy12: 10:35am On Jan 20
They didn't cast it well with enough cement during the installation.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by BigCowHornn: 10:36am On Jan 20
Cassandraloius:
I have never seen such before tho.

That's because you are not a landlord or you have never built a house from scratch

From the first day you drill a borehole the water is dirty and that's why pump out the water for hours and hours to clear it. The process is called flushing

Sometimes chemicals are necessary

But if don't get the whole process right flaw in the war lining your case will be like the ops

The borehole in my house in Lagos cost under 120k but the one in east cist over a million

Now sit and wonder why.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by saydfact(m): 10:38am On Jan 20
Grupo:
Hello all,

Thanks.

How long did you flush it for?

You'll need continuous flushing for at least 2 weeks before you can get clean water..... Not just pumping for usage.....

The other problem is if the casing wasn't done properly, it cld also cause this problem

The 3rd problem is if the pump is too close to the bottom of the well.

Solutions
1. Pump and flush for a week or two with little break at interval for the pumping machine to rest.

2. Ask the company if they can add more cases or not (I don't know if that's possible but ask them)

3. Reduce the depth of the pumping machine by removing one length of pipe and see if there's any difference.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Omoluabi16(m): 10:39am On Jan 20
IyaTola:
Mistake number 1
How many people even have an idea? No be to pay money dey look? Even reading through this thread I am lost already. lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Exploitation, Eviction Threat ‘killing’ Residents Of A Lagos Island / The Plain Truth On Solar Power (shocking)!!! / Man's House Gutted By Fire While Watching Man City V Chelsea Match In Uyo.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.