Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,506 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! (27419 Views)

The Act That Inspires Me In My New Street In Calabar (photos) / Lady Shares Photos Of Dirty House Of A Benin 'Big Boy' She Visited / Landlady Discovers Dirty State Of Toilet After Dirty Tenant Moved Out (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by DonXavi(m): 2:01pm On Jan 20
n
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by christistruth01: 2:06pm On Jan 20
Part of the Bore hole wall wasn't properly Sealed
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by ajog1: 2:11pm On Jan 20
LORDKing001:

Says per meter 8500 and 150m will be drilled
150m would be dug up north? Got any hint on the soil type? Is the ground maramara? Cos I know you don't have to dig too deep to access large volume of water especially in the north.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 2:52pm On Jan 20
LagBlogger:
65 meters is not very deep to reach clean water for machine drilled borehole and it may take a few weeks or months for the water channels to clear before you can reach clean water.

Also check the water pump capacity. If it is above 0.5 HP for that depth, it could contribute to it.

Pls, boss, I would like to know how 0.5HP machine contribute to the Op palava.. thanks
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Audu2008: 2:53pm On Jan 20
I have been carefully going through all the comments and I must say as an experienced borehole driller that more than half of the people commenting here have no clue of what they are talking about.
1. If you said the borehole is not deep enough you are one of them.
2. If you said the borehole drillers didn't do a good job you are also one of those.
3. If you said it was because the owner wasn't around you should shut up
4. If you said the borehole contractor should come back and fix the problem then you don't have an idea of what the problem is.

In fact Sir there is no problem. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal with some new boreholes. Some borehole take just 30 minutes to become clean, some take 4 hours while some take two weeks to a month to become clean especially in areas with alot of clay soil.

But once in a while, a new borehole which took only 30 minutes to 4 hours to flush or become clean will later change color and in some cases in Lagos Nigeria start producing foul odour.

This is when everyone around you becames a borehole expert when you tell them about the problem and the first thing they will tell you is that it's not deep enough. Another group of those people will advise you to do another one while suggesting the have someone who can do a better job but all these people are just talking through their ass.

I want to thank the truly genuine People here who said it will stop with time if you keep flushing the borehole for 10 minutes before you direct it to the tank.

They are telling you the truth. No two boreholes are the same. The fact that you did your borehole once and it was alright did not mean all borehole would be like that. Also, because you got good water at 120 meters does not mean all boreholes have to be the same depths, even on the same piece of land. And finally those of you who think when your borehole have issues the next thing to do is to start fighting the contractor, well good luck to you but that is the absolute wrong way to approach issues.
And finally finally to the op, I say just keep flushing the water for 10 minutes before you pump the water into the tank because with time it become fine but note that half of those here wants to pour fuel into your fire and the rest wants to take advantage of the situation to make money from you. Only a few people here know what the heck the are talking about.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by LagBlogger(m): 2:54pm On Jan 20
3kay945:

Pls, boss, I would like to know how 0.5HP machine contribute to the Op palava.. thanks

You need to read again where I wrote above 0.5hp as in more than 0.5hp not 0.5hp.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Grupo(m): 3:00pm On Jan 20
anonymuz:
I will suggest you flush again. I will suggest 2 hours at interval.

Okay. I'll do that when I visit home next month.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by shortgun(m): 3:13pm On Jan 20
gtassure:

Hello! I need to ask you a borehole water question! How can I get borewater drinkable for a community with no access to drinkable water! We dug a bore that bring out clean water but is not drinkable. In yoruba it's called "olo lenu"
You'll need a water treatment plant .
There are different types and sizes depending on what you want to achieve.

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 3:24pm On Jan 20
LagBlogger:

You need to read again where I wrote above 0.5hp as in more than 0.5hp not 0.5hp.

Still same boss, I forgot to include *above* in my question. And am not querying you. I just want to learn.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 3:33pm On Jan 20
bcomputer101:

If you want permanent solution, try and reline it and do flushing.
The borehole is not well cased down.

Thank my later after doing this.

What is "reline" ? Bro
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by blendz4real(m): 3:39pm On Jan 20
Had the same issue with my borehole after installation and this was the approach that brought me solution.
Just divert for first 10mins and close back to your tank. After some time you'll not need to divert again.
But your well no deep enough sha

CrownOfClay724:
I'm not very familiar with the terrains in Ebonyi, but it looks like a leaching problem.

You know when mineral matters are washed into the underground aquifers by percolation.

Since it only comes out when you first start the pump, it doesn't look like a serious problem.

First get drillers to flush the borehole, if the problem persist, then afix a union connector to the pipe run. Loosen it when you first start the pumping machine so you can bleed out the bad water and tighten it back when it's clean again.

The water should be fine within six months if you pump every other day.
Wells become cleaner, the more you pump them.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by shortgun(m): 3:39pm On Jan 20
CrownOfClay724:

Compounds in harmful proportion would mix fully with the water and not get suspended on top.
Irrespective of the constituents, they won't do much harm as far as they clear up quickly enough.
You say?
This is ridiculous grin grin
Pls just stay away from areas you know nothing about.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 3:40pm On Jan 20
CrownOfClay724:

You bring back memories grin

I remember a contractor that was given a borehole project during Adams Oshiomole.

Man dug and dug and didn't see water.
They built a stanchion, installed tanks and used a water truck to pump water into the tanks.

Oshiomole came, opened taps and commissioned borehole.
That was the first and last time water came out of those taps.

Borehole in some places is not anybody's mate.

Seriously?! grin grin
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Rrchrd(m): 3:43pm On Jan 20
They didn't drill the water to the normal level
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Charly68: 4:06pm On Jan 20
Call back the Engineer to come and finish what he started ,he did he shoddy job.. I got such an experience before .
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 4:12pm On Jan 20
MySolace:

So, why not use YouTube and Google and do d drilling urself...?

...remove urself from gear Oga!!!

Badh guy... grin grin
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by CrownOfClay724: 4:35pm On Jan 20
shortgun:

You say?
This is ridiculous grin grin
Pls just stay away from areas you know nothing about.
k.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 4:58pm On Jan 20
After taking my time to read through all pages, I will give my suggestions. Before that, let me give background information so as to clarify things in the mind of those that might think am inexperience in this matter.

I dug my First borehole January, 2016. We did flushing then too but we still have the problem of brownish color for the first few minutes of pumping.

I did connect an adaptor to always flushing out water for 10mins before passing it to the tank. I got tired of going to the backyard everytime for flushing.

The problem persist so I did another borehole in Jan, 2020
This was cleaner and got good but unfortunately the new borehole collapsed cry on November, 2021.
Thankfully, I was able to removed the pumping machine.

Meanwhile, I didn't close up the first borehole,.

The borehole man said I will have to dig another one. I just felt bad for a while and revert to my first borehole.

Its still bring out colour water for first few minutes I guess. But still working till now.
Anytime we pump water, we open the taps inside the toilets to flush for 10mins or so then we good!

I don't drink it but my neighbours and abokis drinks from the tap attached to the fence outside. (To the best of my knowledge, no one complain of cholera or something grin)

So the OP should use it like that and keep flushing till it gets better.
Cos.. the problem might be the depth!
2. He can make a deeper one . But what if it collapsed too like mine?! Anyway, I used rubber pipes.

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by frozen70(f): 5:16pm On Jan 20
Grupo:

Please what does flushing involve?

Because the geologist was the one who did the survey. Brought his own drilling company to drill the well, and install the pump.

I was not around on the say he installed the pump but he claimed he flushed it on the same day.

Flushing will not really solve the problem

Casing the well wall may reduce that color

Was it digged like the type of bore hole that is tiny with just that blue pipe if yes, then probably he didn't treat the water properly

If it's dug like a real well and the the submersible machine was put insde

Then the wall need or be cased with concrete round pipe those ones used for road where there is a T gutter, it can be placed to a certain level where water splashes on the wall during pumping , I mean those concrete that looks like drum sold by block industries
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Vic74real: 5:28pm On Jan 20
May I know how long u have experienced this and how long u have pumped the borehole? How is d dirty water? I wld hv also asked for basic aquifer & stratigraphic xters,of d borehole but don't know if u wld know? Was d pre-drilling survey properly done?E-g if the screens were wrongly placed in sequences like clayey sand,sandy clay etc,no amt of pumping wld make d water clean & clear Normally,if groundwater from abstracted good source,which has natural purification process,it does not take too long to pump the water to be permanently clean.It seems to me from your narration that u have some infiltrated contamination.Try changing the level of pump intake down near d well base.If after this,if u can afford a small compressor introduce that,if it still persists after all this, then know that d borehole was not properly done
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by gly(m): 6:18pm On Jan 20
ResponsibleThug:

Always do a geophysical survey BEFORE any borehole drilling.

This is key! Also know the pedigree of the geologist doing your geophysical investigation. customers are always carried away with cost forgetting the fact that to get quality service you have to pay for it too. Back to the thread...discussion on ground, OP you do not have to worry. It is a job well done by the geologist except that well development...what we call flushing was not well done for the expected time to rid off relics of the materials clogging the screen coupled with the nature of the terrain. As said before continue to develop/flush the well, you will be fine

2 Likes

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by specialzobo(m): 6:24pm On Jan 20
Audu2008:
I have been carefully going through all the comments and I must say as an experienced borehole driller that more than half of the people commenting here have no clue of what they are talking about.
1. If you said the borehole is not deep enough you are one of them.
2. If you said the borehole drillers didn't do a good job you are also one of those.
3. If you said it was because the owner wasn't around you should shut up
4. If you said the borehole contractor should come back and fix the problem then you don't have an idea of what the problem is.

In fact Sir there is no problem. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal with some new boreholes. Some borehole take just 30 minutes to become clean, some take 4 hours while some take two weeks to a month to become clean especially in areas with alot of clay soil.

But once in a while, a new borehole which took only 30 minutes to 4 hours to flush or become clean will later change color and in some cases in Lagos Nigeria start producing foul odour.

This is when everyone around you becames a borehole expert when you tell them about the problem and the first thing they will tell you is that it's not deep enough. Another group of those people will advise you to do another one while suggesting the have someone who can do a better job but all these people are just talking through their ass.

I want to thank the truly genuine People here who said it will stop with time if you keep flushing the borehole for 10 minutes before you direct it to the tank.

They are telling you the truth. No two boreholes are the same. The fact that you did your borehole once and it was alright did not mean all borehole would be like that. Also, because you got good water at 120 meters does not mean all boreholes have to be the same depths, even on the same piece of land. And finally those of you who think when your borehole have issues the next thing to do is to start fighting the contractor, well good luck to you but that is the absolute wrong way to approach issues.
And finally finally to the op, I say just keep flushing the water for 10 minutes before you pump the water into the tank because with time it become fine but note that half of those here wants to pour fuel into your fire and the rest wants to take advantage of the situation to make money from you. Only a few people here know what the heck the are talking about.

Thank you.
Hello,What would you say about a borehole that the water comes out pure, but later changes colour to brownish yellow with oil like substance on top. That is the the situation with my borehole.Any solution to this?
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by kelvin1191(m): 6:31pm On Jan 20
The borehole was not flushed properly. Also, the clearance from the bottom of the well to the pump is too close. Ensure a clearance of 3 meters above from the bottom of the well to the pump
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Grupo(m): 6:54pm On Jan 20
3kay945:
After taking my time to read through all pages, I will give my suggestions. Before that, let me give background information so as to clarify things in the mind of those that might think am inexperience in this matter.

I dug my First borehole January, 2016. We did flushing then too but we still have the problem of brownish color for the first few minutes of pumping.

I did connect an adaptor to always flushing out water for 10mins before passing it to the tank. I got tired of going to the backyard everytime for flushing.

The problem persist so I did another borehole in Jan, 2020
This was cleaner and got good but unfortunately the new borehole collapsed cry on November, 2021.
Thankfully, I was able to removed the pumping machine.

Meanwhile, I didn't close up the first borehole,.

The borehole man said I will have to dig another one. I just felt bad for a while and revert to my first borehole.

Its still bring out colour water for first few minutes I guess. But still working till now.
Anytime we pump water, we open the taps inside the toilets to flush for 10mins or so then we good!

I don't drink it but my neighbours and abokis drinks from the tap attached to the fence outside. (To the best of my knowledge, no one complain of cholera or something grin)

So the OP should use it like that and keep flushing till it gets better.
Cos.. the problem might be the depth!
2. He can make a deeper one . But what if it collapsed too like mine?! Anyway, I used rubber pipes.

Interesting. How deep is your well?

Maybe the second well collapsed because it was not fully cased down?
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Grupo(m): 7:00pm On Jan 20
specialzobo:
Hello,What would you say about a borehole that the water comes out pure, but later changes colour to brownish yellow with oil like substance on top. That is the the situation with my borehole.Any solution to this?

I'm not an expert but from my research, you need to do shock chlorination of your well. It likely has iron bacteria.

You can watch some YouTube videos on that.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by specialzobo(m): 7:13pm On Jan 20
Grupo:

I'm not an expert but from my research, you need to do shock chlorination of your well. It likely has iron bacteria.

You can watch some YouTube videos on that.
Thanks, will check that out

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Crokky: 7:47pm On Jan 20
Over time it will clear out, if it does not that means the casing not properly done, u might need to recase the hole with a smaller casing .it's called inner lining ,that should solve your problem, but u will change the pump to a smaller diameter pump usually more expensive

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by Abee79(m): 8:32pm On Jan 20
It's possible that the initial discoloration is due to sediment or other impurities stirred up during drilling and flushing. You might want to try flushing the well system more extensively to remove any remaining debris. Additionally, consider installing a sediment filter or a settling tank to help trap particles before the water reaches your pump. If the issue persists, consult with a local hydrogeologist or water quality expert to assess the specific conditions in your well and provide tailored solutions for cleaner water extraction.

1 Like

Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 8:59pm On Jan 20
Grupo:

Interesting. How deep is your well?

Maybe the second well collapsed because it was not fully cased down?

I don't know how deep in metres but only know how many pipes were buried.
It was cased. I was there during both. Well adequately casted or not, I can't tell.
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by 3kay945(m): 9:05pm On Jan 20
specialzobo:

Your case is strange to me, like how many minutes is the clean water before the color one? Am thinking maybe the first clean water are the ones in your pipes before the real pumped water comes out. And does the color remains or change to clean later during pumping?
Re: My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! by LORDKing001: 9:22pm On Jan 20
ajog1:

150m would be dug up north? Got any hint on the soil type? Is the ground maramara? Cos I know you don't have to dig too deep to access large volume of water especially in the north.
U get idea about d reading make I share their findings

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Now In Nigeria: Foreign Quality Building Finishing (With Pix) / Photos From The Construction Of Asaba Mall (shoprite) From Inception To Completi / Painting Diary Of A Nairalander's House.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.