Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux (38697 Views)

Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites / Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux / Just In - Corona Beer Manfacturers Stops Production Over COVID-19 Pandemic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by blowjohn(m): 11:25pm On Jan 19
Economists in the house, does that mean they were not making profits, although not as much as before?

I say this cos av always felt that the top shots in companies are the main cause of these problems. As soon as shares start dropping they exit.

Its not like they are not making profits o. But they wud prefer to make very large profits
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by ufotunang: 11:27pm On Jan 19
Harsh economy..see what APC and Tinubu has caused 🙄

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by ufotunang: 11:31pm On Jan 19
blowjohn:
Economists in the house, does that mean they were not making profits, although not as much as before?

I say this cos av always felt that the top shots in companies are the main cause of these problems. As soon as shares start dropping they exit.

Its not like they are not making profits o. But they wud prefer to make very large profits
...it's the harsh economy affecting their bussinesses....1200 naira to a dollar, lack of constant power supply, high costs of fuel and disel to run their generator to provide light for the industry, multiple taxation and other things..the environment is not conducive for their bussinesses to thrive

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by ufotunang: 11:32pm On Jan 19
Harsh economy.. when the environment is not conducive for bussinesses to thrive it affects companies and industries... that is why the government should provide a conducive environment for bussinesses companies industries to thrive
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Eriokanmi: 11:32pm On Jan 19
blowjohn:

Before I respond to your question, you wey no be Unilever, as an individual, is your life better now than it was some years back? Are you spending less or you are spending more?

Unilever will never compromise the quality which they have known for donkey years due to poor economy. You cannot compare Omo with WAW. Omo forms lather much more than the highly publicized WAW. A handful of omo will wash clothes but other detergent brands can't. When your clothe washed with omo dries up, it glitters. In order to maintain their quality, they would rather go to a country with favourable economic condition.

Come to think of it, as poor as Nigeria is, we buy fuel almost same price as those who are developed and our law makers earn the highest in the world. They buy Toyota SUV instead of Peugeot and/or locally made cars. They keep borrowing. I am so sorry for this country.

4 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Clara16(f): 11:35pm On Jan 19
Na UK sure pass o.

17 Multinationals leaving the country.

And what happens to the laidoff labourers?

Losing human capital and investments,
Is a disaster.

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by HIPROFILE(m): 11:36pm On Jan 19
TINUBUNOMICS Oooye!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by blowjohn(m): 11:42pm On Jan 19
Eriokanmi:
Before I respond to your question, you wey no be Unilever, as an individual, is your life better now than it was some years back? Are you spending less or you are spending more?

Unilever will never compromise the quality they have known for donkey years due to poor economy. You cannot compare Omo with WAW. Omo forms lather much more than the highly publicize WAW. A handful of omo will wash clothes but other detergent brands can't. In order to maintain their quality, they would rather go to a country with favourable economic condition.

Come to think of it, as poor as Nigeria is, we buy fuel almost same price as those who are developed and our law makers earn the highest in the world. They buy Toyota SUV instead of Peugeot and/or locally made cars. They keep borrowing. I am so sorry for this country.

Yes my life is better. U know why?

I was making let's say, 10 naira per month before. It was more than enough for me.
Now I make 12 naira. It's still more than enough.

Let me break it down for u.

Before, I cud have excess of 200k to flex about in a month.

Now I can have excess of 160k to flex around.

Now does that make things worse for me?

No.

Before u come out to defend Unilever, let me remind u that most of these companies that have been in Nigeria even before I was born started lowering their quality since.

Take Mr biggs for example: they went down when Nigeria wasn't even deteriorating.

Cadbury BOURNVITA isn't the same taste like it used to be in the early 90s.

And the taste changed like in the mid nineties.

I suspect greedy Nigerians in charge of some of the departments made caused this.

What about indomie?

Indomie isn't the Indomie it was the first year it came out.

Yet indomie is if not the most bought item in this country. Yet they compromised on their standards even though they have a large number of customers.

My own thinking is that greedy shareholders want to make maximum profits at all costs so they keep increasing prices
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by campbelljosh(m): 11:43pm On Jan 19
Do you still use Close -Up? Don't lie o
Discountsempai:

Close up is still very popular...they even have a new advertising campaign out (Now with Zinc for better protection).

But yeah, there are all sorts of brands...out there. When i was young it was close up, pepsodent, snow white, and daily need (basically close up copy).
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by mariahAngel(f): 11:43pm On Jan 19
christejames:
The great Tinubulation is upon us! shocked

Hahahahahahahahahahaha grin

To be fair, it is Buhari that buharia everything. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Eriokanmi: 11:45pm On Jan 19
blowjohn:

Yes my life is better. U know why?

I was making let's say, 10 naira per month before. It was more than enough for me.
Now I make 12 naira. It's still more than enough.

Let me break it down for u.

Before, I cud have excess of 200k to flex about in a month.

Now I can have excess of 160k to flex around.

Now does that make things worse for me?

No.

Before u come out to defend Unilever, let me remind u that most of these companies that have been in Nigeria even before I was born started lowering their quality since.

Take Mr biggs for example: they went down when Nigeria wasn't even deteriorating.

Cadbury BOURNVITA isn't the same taste like it used to be in the early 90s.

And the taste changed like in the mid nineties.

I suspect greedy Nigerians in charge of some of the departments made caused this.

What about indomie?

Indomie isn't the Indomie it was the first year it came out.

Yet indomie is if not the most bought item in this country. Yet they compromised on their standards even though they have a large number of customers.

My own thinking is that greedy shareholders want to make maximum profits at all costs so they keep increasing prices

The harsh economic condition is the cause of compromise in quality among some industries. Mr Biggs is owned by Nigerians. Do not even compare. Unilever still maintains their quality. This i know. On whether you fare better now than you were in the past, I reserve my comment. Our conscience is the right judge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by blowjohn(m): 11:46pm On Jan 19
ufotunang:
...it's the harsh economy affecting their bussinesses....1200 naira to a dollar, lack of constant power supply, high costs of fuel and disel to run their generator to provide light for the industry, multiple taxation and other things..the environment is not conducive for their bussinesses to thrive

Hmm. I'd say it's the competition.

Indomie has no competition so even if they use diesel at 5k per litter they will still survive cos they have a very very large market. Every body they buy indomie every minute

Same with soft drink markets.

What do u think about my points?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Okechinwadike: 11:48pm On Jan 19
no matter what, agbadorians must see a way to defend the demonic administration and party. is only mumu person will compare multinational company with local company e g . comparing coca cola and zobo or MTN and GLO local and international company

3 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by blowjohn(m): 11:50pm On Jan 19
Eriokanmi:
The economy is the cause of compromise among some industries. Mr Biggs is owned by Nigerians

Partly.
But the greed of the black man is the main cause.

It's the same reason u see billionaires in Nigeria opening clubs, hotels and plazas.

They want maximum profits, quick money.

But a white man will use the same 200 million naira, build a center for advanced physiotherapy treatments.

The white man will steadily make his profits. And he will be Contented with it.

Not the black man. Lai Lai. E must make excessive profits
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by tuzle(m): 12:09am On Jan 20
Omo I still use lux to bath tonight. So this is the end of buying lux. The soap self doesn't foam fast. But I will miss lux sha. Time to look for an alternative.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by MeineMutter: 12:11am On Jan 20
atiku4President:
Harsh economy will only grind the wheel of production to a halt

It’s not a matter of harsh economy. Those brands have already reached their decline stage on product life cycle. They ought to have ‘di.ed’ since but Unilever Nigeria kept rebranding them.

No thanks to Malaysian and Indonesian caustic soda soaps sha and the Indian and Lebanese cheap detergents.

Lowly-rated brands are cheap and Nigerians are poor. Since these low brands don’t need much in ads and campaign budgets, they are able to give Omo and Lux a run for their life because those ones needed huge budget to run their marketing campaigns.

In this region, until standard of living improves, old brands will always struggle to remain longer than usual.

Watch out for the d.eath of Premier soap too and Imperial Leather from PZ.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Barcalee: 12:15am On Jan 20
No wonder I no see sunlight for market again
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by ObalendeCMS: 12:19am On Jan 20
Blue Band used to be Planta back then!

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Fizalis(m): 12:24am On Jan 20
I love you so much bro for dropping this bomb without pity for who's ox is gutted!

You the man bro!

U no gree for anybody oh!

Watch as those unfortunate tribalists will come for you but never mind!

I lo'you for real bro!
RingRoadCartel:
According to FreeStuffsNG and his co-travellers, Nigeria will turn into Switzerland in a matter of days now. Food is cheap and the naira is stronger than ever at an all time low price of 1360/$

Dangote will sell us fuel at the price of #50/lt soon and a bag of rice will go back to the 8k it was selling for when Jonathan was intimidated out of office barely 9 years ago.

It's not even been up to a decade since nigerians decided to give the APC a chance, yet look at how much ruin our country is in. When some of us speak out, it will look as if we like it when bad things happen to our country, but that's very far from the truth! We only console ourselves with making mockery of APC supporters stupidity. We know all too well that whatever terrible consequence the APC government's incompetence brings to the table, we will all partake in it!

It just feels like yesterday, Buhari came in promising Eldorado. But upon seeing that it isn't as easy as Jonathan made it look, they decided to devise a means that will ensure that Nigerians don't give them the Ghadaffi treatment>>>> TRIBALISM. It worked so well, and ever since then, the APC has become invincible. No matter how low they sink this country, mark my words, they will always get away with it! At this point, someone has to step in or else...
Anyone waiting for a revolution is just wasting his time. All the APC has to do is pay Sam Larry and his thugs to infiltrate whatever protest or revolution and cause mayhem. Or if that doesn't work, give the revolution a tribal colouration and voila! people will throw their common sense out the window. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by MeineMutter: 12:33am On Jan 20
alfredilly:

This is about the failure to contend with the growing economic environment. I said it here earlier that the closer of some foreign multinational like P and G, GSK, Nestle is due to Nigerian preference for cheap and low quality product. To every Lux, there is premier cool, Kasmo and other product. To every Omo, there is Waw, good mama, So easy and other. These companies should have found a way of approaching the market in a new way, after all, they are richer and possess the resources to mobilize the best brain.

The only way they could fight those lowly-rated brand is to create a lowly-rated brand that can be used to fight all those Kasmo soap and co.

See what DSTv did to Star Times by creating GoTv just to fight StartTimes. DSTv just took out most of its Free-to-Air channels and added a few C-list channels from DSTv and configured it GoTv decoder and boom! DSTv made sure it out sports channels that would attract Nigerian youths and sports bet lovers.

A lot of multinational companies don’t have Business Planners in their team but they have Business Analysts.

Those that recruited people as Business Planners don’t allow such staff to function as planners but as analysts and they don’t know.

Studying Strategic Clock (Matix) could have helped Unilever to identify where Omo and Lux are and also identify where all those Kasmo soaps are on Strategic Clock.

Instead of using Strategic Clock most companies end up using SWOT and this analysis has mostly been used in wrong situations.

You only use SWOT before you lunch (that’s at planning stage).

Unilever should have downgraded Omo and Lux to the region where all those lowly-rated brands are and spend less on ads campaign.

Where those lowly-rated brands are is called. No Frills, No grills. They don’t have any special value to add than to give foamy effect for you to bath and go out. No special ako protection agents as being found in brands like Lux.

We still can’t blame Unilever because those Market Leaders sitting at regional hubs and at headquarters see the numbers everyday and have concluded it ain’t worth the headache.

That’s why the decision was made. Unilever Nigeria has nothing to do than to obey the last command.

Selling the brands to other interested buyer would have been considered through but since the brand is still doing well in other markets, Inilever could have felt it ain’t going to be a better business decision to divest from the brands worldwide and sell them outrightly.

I am sure their CFO has to report this as part of its Discontinued Operations, when releasing its next financial statement, in line with IFRS 5.

3 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by MemoriesAndMe: 12:39am On Jan 20
Marvieduke:
I would just say there is competition in the market where new products are been introduced..... They should just tell us they want to rebrand with a new name.

If their story is true, I just pity the employees currently working there because folks will end up losing their jobs and their families will be impacted. Let's just hope it's the rebranding you mentioned that's about to happen.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by PopQueenAgency: 12:40am On Jan 20
Beremx:
Omo still dey market? Can't remember the last time I saw the product in the market. They should have rebranded instead of stopping the production. Bringing back the blue color of the detergent would have been nostalgic

Which colour dem come make am?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Maxtipulation(m): 12:43am On Jan 20
Otilo courtesy bulaba
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by rspy: 1:03am On Jan 20
lovely news... this is great news.. last last Nigerians must get sense
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by sirjoggy(m): 1:21am On Jan 20
davit:
No wonder sunlight is no longer in the market.
na my best detergent soap be that
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by RingRoadCartel: 1:23am On Jan 20
Fizalis:
I love you so much bro for dropping this bomb without pity for who's ox is gutted!

You the man bro!

U no gree for anybody oh!

Watch as those unfortunate tribalists will come for you but never mind!

I lo'you for real bro!

Love you too, my Gee. 🤣
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by RingRoadCartel: 1:24am On Jan 20
Eriokanmi:
LOL. I bought dollar at 1341 naira at allen avenue today. my mallam friend said it's because he had known me for long, that he sells higher than that rate to others. Imagine. One thing about those supporting this directionless administration is that, they are the main casualties but pretending everything is alright.

Self deceit.
The worst form of hypocrisy

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by RingRoadCartel: 1:26am On Jan 20
NGArmyTerrorist:
Seun needs to ban that freestuff of a guy forever! He is a manufacturer of lies and fake and misleading news here.

People are beginning to see through him. That alone is enough.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by RingRoadCartel: 1:29am On Jan 20
sslcrypt:

That freestuff person is the most daft person I have ever seen. How can a grown man be so stupid is what I can't comprehend. I really hope he's pretending because he's worthy of Brain shock therapy.

He's hungry, bro. He used to sell books and write columns for Sahara Reporters. Book didn't sell, then he got this gig. The only requirement was that he throw away his conscience, which he obviously does not have a problem doing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Discountsempai: 1:41am On Jan 20
campbelljosh:
Do you still use Close -Up? Don't lie o

No.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by NotGej: 1:41am On Jan 20
Thank you Buh*ri. You did exceedingly well with the economy.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by NotGej: 1:46am On Jan 20
Beremx:
Omo still dey market? Can't remember the last time I saw the product in the market. They should have rebranded instead of stopping the production. Bringing back the blue color of the detergent would have been nostalgic

Blue color?! So e go dey stain white

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire / The CORRECT Nigeria Zip Code / I Have 30k-40k As A Student, What Business/Investment Can I Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.