Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux (38690 Views)

Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites / Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux / Just In - Corona Beer Manfacturers Stops Production Over COVID-19 Pandemic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by regenerateman(m): 10:51am On Jan 20
This is purely based on the state of our economy and not necessary competition from rival brands. Understand that this is a British company and those guys don't necessarily compromise easily. The cost of production has gone up as a result of mismanagement of our economy by the politicians. If the company produces in this economy, the selling price will be high and many Nigerians will not be able to afford its products thereby making them go for cheap brands from China. I believe if this company is a Chinese company, it will compromise by reducing the quality and quantity of the products and it will remain in the country. How many Chinese companies are leaving Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by ufotunang: 11:07am On Jan 20
blowjohn:

Hmm. I'd say it's the competition.

Indomie has no competition so even if they use diesel at 5k per litter they will still survive cos they have a very very large market. Every body they buy indomie every minute

Same with soft drink markets.

What do u think about my points?
...in this case its not really the competition that caused Unilever to shut down... Unilever has been operating in nigeria for many years more than 30 years.. and competiting with other products and companies producing the same similar products Unilever produces ..but by then Unilever company did not shut down because the environment was conducive for bussinesses companies industries to thrive and Excel...since Tinubu administration started when Tinubu removed fuel subsidy and floated the naira against the dollar..in which dollars is rising and naira is depreciating and losing value...you can see how bad the economy is..... when the economy is bad it affects bussinesses companies industries ...for indomie and soft drink companies they are struggling to survive the hard economy ...with this removal of fuel subsidy and floating of naira... Tinubu economic policies... some companies in nigeria have shut down.. like...glaxosmithkline company, Procter and gamble company, Jumia foods, bolts foods, jubliee syringe company and some other companies also...just go to Google search... and Google... companies that shut down in 2023.. and they will explain the reasons they shut down in 2023

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by blowjohn(m): 11:08am On Jan 20
ufotunang:
...in this case its not really the competition that caused Unilever to shut down... Unilever has been operating in nigeria for many years more than 30 years.. and competiting with other products and companies producing the same similar products Unilever produces ..but by then Unilever company did not shut down because the environment was conducive for bussinesses companies industries to thrive and Excel...since Tinubu administration started when Tinubu removed fuel subsidy and floated the naira against the dollar..in which dollars is rising and naira is depreciating and losing value...you can see how bad the economy is..... when the economy is bad it affects bussinesses companies industries ...for indomie and soft drink companies they are struggling to survive the hard economy ...with this removal of fuel subsidy and floating of naira... Tinubu economic policies... some companies in nigeria have shut down.. like...glaxosmithkline company, Procter and gamble company, Jumia foods, bolts foods, jubliee syringe company and some other companies also...just go to Google search... and Google... companies that shut down in 2023.. and they will explain the reasons they shut down in 2023

Hmmm. Ok i get ur points
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by maestroferddi: 11:28am On Jan 20
You win some and lose some...

Their near monopoly with the Close Up toothpaste should be some comfort...

Since the entrance of So Klin detergent into the Nigerian market, the market has never been the same. Ariel is done with and now Sunlight.

In soaps, it is Eva with their sundry variants dominating the market out of nowhere....

A company that refuses to invest in research and development will ultimately learn the hard way....

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by writeprof(m): 11:31am On Jan 20
Beremx:
Omo still dey market? Can't remember the last time I saw the product in the market. They should have rebranded instead of stopping the production. Bringing back the blue color of the detergent would have been nostalgic

It's not about branding or rebranding.

You don't seem to understand what has been happening to businesses in Nigeria since the advent of PMB and now PBAT. The cost of running businesses CANNOT be sustained AGAIN especially NOW.

Many companies and factories have REDUCED the QUALITY of their products for years, just to meet production cost. It cannot work again. Solution: shut down.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by DangoteIvy: 11:40am On Jan 20
obioraeze:
Third party again ….. just like GKS this third party will over increase the price now and make other products go up too …….. they should kuku go completely, instead of the third party nonsense

Anyways check my signature for lands in abj and all west states with valid C OF O
cool
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by OurSeun(m): 12:05pm On Jan 20
Omihanifa:

https://www.thecable.ng/unilever-nigeria-stops-production-sales-of-omo-lux/amp

This is not a good news, but an advantage to a wise government to brace local productions.

Foreign investors are not well manage by our government , foreign manufacturers are benefitting more from our economy
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by MadamExcellency: 12:09pm On Jan 20
This is what happens when you introduce tribalism in production and localisation of industries.

Why shouldn't Unilever go extinct?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Curious345: 12:11pm On Jan 20
God punish Buhari

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by amanda10g: 12:22pm On Jan 20
Chai! Some of the most popular products we grew up to see are going extinct in Nigeria. Soon, we will be importing them from the UK. Chai! Nigeria! We hail there!Chai! Some of the most popular products we grew up to see are going extinct in Nigeria. Soon, we will be importing them from the UK. Chai! Nigeria! We hail there!...
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Westwood2580: 12:23pm On Jan 20
Atolu01:
Production of Lux should not stop abeg.
I tell u. I've been using the soap for the past five years now. I hardly use another soap for bathing other than lux. Omo this news hurt me oo
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by DOM7: 1:00pm On Jan 20
Dangote is smiling at the corner! In few months now you hear of Dangote OMO, Dangote lux and sunlight.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by broadman20: 1:08pm On Jan 20
Dialpad:
What makes you think so?

Because you will never like to show us your comments here during Jonathan's government.

Prove me wrong!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Banhammy717: 1:41pm On Jan 20
Use Joy soap, if there's no lux
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by eepeepook: 2:36pm On Jan 20
Sunlight that is my favorite detergent. Kai! Hmm. Omo was non-existent for all I remember. Lux’s disappearance means offshore workers and hotel patrons will find a new soap brand supplied to their quarters now.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Atolu01: 4:39pm On Jan 20
Westwood2580:
I tell u. I've been using the soap for the past five years now. I hardly use another soap for bathing other than lux. Omo this news hurt me oo

Honestly. I like to use Body washes, but Lux has been relatively OK for me, as a Bar soap, too.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by AmazingELixir: 8:13pm On Jan 20
lexy2014:

how did Unilever not invest in research and development?

how did Lux and omo not make any improvement?

what was the improvement you were expecting them to make?

how are omo and lux low quality products?

Instead of asking a 1001 questions, counter my position and then I'll engage you.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by hardeydara213(m): 8:24pm On Jan 20
People should think before saying a thing.. The issues of Unilever is competition why buy a sachet of omo N300 when you can get a magik for N150... Nigeria is run in a monopolistic way.. The level of competitiveness is 0%... Its easy for a seller to increase the price of his or her goods any time.. A nation can't thrive in this condition... Its so pathetic!!

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by October1960: 8:42pm On Jan 20
APC and PDP just bunch of thieves

How can a large nation not have steady electricity, roads infrastructure in 2024 with all the billions supposedly spent, but rather stolen with bogus inflated contracts.

More companies will exit the country and we will depend on cheap poor quality Chinese imports.

Sadly $1 to 5,000 Naira is on the horizon

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by October1960: 8:48pm On Jan 20
You are 100% correct. And Chinese companies don’t care about quality or safety. They will make things that can harm people since they know Africa is not like USA or Europe that will test a product before allowing it to be sold in their country.

The Chinese can come to Africa and sell dangerous products that can even cause cancer. No one will question them. All they need to do is bribe the useless unpatriotic politicians and government officials.

regenerateman:
This is purely based on the state of our economy and not necessary competition from rival brands. Understand that this is a British company and those guys don't necessarily compromise easily. The cost of production has gone up as a result of mismanagement of our economy by the politicians. If the company produces in this economy, the selling price will be high and many Nigerians will not be able to afford its products thereby making them go for cheap brands from China. I believe if this company is a Chinese company, it will compromise by reducing the quality and quantity of the products and it will remain in the country. How many Chinese companies are leaving Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by lexy2014: 8:51pm On Jan 20
AmazingELixir:

Instead of asking a 1001 questions, counter my position and then I'll engage you.

What is your position?

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Gre8ness: 9:35pm On Jan 20
Beremx:
Omo still dey market? Can't remember the last time I saw the product in the market. They should have rebranded instead of stopping the production. Bringing back the blue color of the detergent would have been nostalgic
Rebranded bawo, companies are laying off there staffs because they are running losses. I just lost my job and now am back to trenches. 9ja na useless country aswear. #KillPolithiefcian. Youth rise up!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by DeOTR: 10:35pm On Jan 20
nams77:

Sometimes you guys baffle me! Did you do your home work at all? You think Unilever is a baby in the industry? Apart from Omo and Lux, they also make sunlight which is a top brand in the market before it was yanked off.
Apart from sunlight, are you also aware that unilver are the maker of close up, Lipton, Knorr, blue band margarine, pears baby lotion and vaseline? Does these products looked like failing products in the Market.
You think anyone thats says anything about the economy is doing so as a result of hatred of your god Tinubu?
It's quite pathetic the way you lots reason. Open your eyes and smell the coffee! APC is sinking this country. This is no hatred for your lord, tinubu
You didn't answer my questions. How many people out of 10 would buy Omo/Sunlight or Lux if they need to buy a detergent/toilet soap?
You mentioned Knorr and close up? I hope you also know that Knorr is not even the choice seasoning as we speak and people like me have stopped using close-up toothpaste since I'll have to take mints after mouthwash with it to avoid throwing up?
For every product of Unilever you mentioned up there, we have couple of other better products.
If removing subsidy means sinking the country, so be it. It's not like you'll even have a country in 2 years with subsidy in place to begin with.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by AmazingELixir: 11:25pm On Jan 20
lexy2014:

What is your position?

Get off my mention youngman...got no energy for your kind.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by nams77: 8:59am On Jan 21
DeOTR:

You didn't answer my questions. How many people out of 10 would buy Omo/Sunlight or Lux if they need to buy a detergent/toilet soap?
You mentioned Knorr and close up? I hope you also know that Knorr is not even the choice seasoning as we speak and people like me have stopped using close-up toothpaste since I'll have to take mints after mouthwash with it to avoid throwing up?
For every product of Unilever you mentioned up there, we have couple of other better products.
If removing subsidy means sinking the country, so be it. It's not like you'll even have a country in 2 years with subsidy in place to begin with.
Omo went down. It was bound to happen as nothing lasts forever. Sunlight was a leader before it was yanked from the market.
My point is, not all unilever products are failing. So it must be the economy. For the pharmaceutical giants, are you still going to tell me their products were failing before they left the country? You guys should open your eyes to see what's happening.
And how are you sure this government is still not paying subsidy somehow?
This response will suffice, as I can't waste my precious time arguing over something that is so glaring. Look at all the indices and metric used in measuring an economy and you are still here arguing nonsense. Bye
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Discountsempai: 4:02pm On Jan 21
Today I bought some Omo and Lux...

I also found out that we have imported Lux from other African countries!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire / I Have 30k-40k As A Student, What Business/Investment Can I Start? / The CORRECT Nigeria Zip Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.