Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,903 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux (38684 Views)

Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites / Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux / Just In - Corona Beer Manfacturers Stops Production Over COVID-19 Pandemic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by nams77: 7:41am On Jan 20
rayopt:
That is indeed a competitive market anyway and this is not a time to be slack. Watch how some people will think this has something to do with the current administration. Na normal Naija way sha.
It has to do with the current economic situation. Before you say Omo is no more in vogue and has been edged out by competition then you must know that sunlight, another of their product is very popular but yet they are quiting because of lose occasioned by dwindling economy. You can argue as usual but that's the fact staring you in the face

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by maasoap(m): 7:42am On Jan 20
RingRoadCartel:
According to FreeStuffsNG and his co-travellers, Nigeria will turn into Switzerland in a matter of days now. Food is cheap and the naira is stronger than ever at an all time low price of 1360/$

Dangote will sell us fuel at the price of #50/lt soon and a bag of rice will go back to the 8k it was selling for when Jonathan was intimidated out of office barely 9 years ago.

Jonathan organised the election, he contested and lost. Nigerians rejected him as a sitting president with all the rigging he carried out in SS and SE, deal with it and stop crying about that.

It's not even been up to a decade since nigerians decided to give the APC a chance, yet look at how much ruin our country is in. When some of us speak out, it will look as if we like it when bad things happen to our country, but that's very far from the truth! We only console ourselves with making mockery of APC supporters stupidity. We know all too well that whatever terrible consequence the APC government's incompetence brings to the table, we will all partake in it!

It just feels like yesterday, Buhari came in promising Eldorado. But upon seeing that it isn't as easy as Jonathan made it look, they decided to devise a means that will ensure that Nigerians don't give them the Ghadaffi treatment>>>> TRIBALISM. It worked so well, and ever since then, the APC has become invincible. No matter how low they sink this country, mark my words, they will always get away with it! At this point, someone has to step in or else...
Anyone waiting for a revolution is just wasting his time. All the APC has to do is pay Sam Larry and his thugs to infiltrate whatever protest or revolution and cause mayhem. Or if that doesn't work, give the revolution a tribal colouration and voila! people will throw their common sense out the window. God bless Nigeria.

Northerners' votes made Tinubu, a Yoruba man our president, where exactly did see the tribalism you're wailing about?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by nams77: 7:45am On Jan 20
Indelibleage:
Other products are emerging. Sales dropped with the harsh economy and multiple taxation.
It's not just a case of other products emerging. They had sunlight which was very popular and topping the market, yet they went under. What does that tell you?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Ubanz: 7:46am On Jan 20
Those products are no longer household names.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Rejouir: 7:53am On Jan 20
Old news
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by kponkedenge(m): 7:53am On Jan 20
davit:
No wonder sunlight is no longer in the market.

I still have sunlight at home, the one I've been using since December last year.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Funkyswagzz(m): 7:55am On Jan 20
Dialpad:
Keep in mind that those companies have had monopoly over the years, their financial muscle is huge based on funding from their home office.

At some point in our lives when we wanted to mention soap for washing clothes, it was referred to as Omo.

Let them leave, allow Emeka from Onitsha, Kunle from Abeokuta, Musa from Kano be able to sell millions of these soap monthly.

Economy will grow.

Bro I do get your point buh there's something you are missing. You've completely underestimated our production capacity against there's so are these companies going to meet up with people's demand. And what is the quality of there products compared to the foreign. I personally use sunrise detergent for my washing machine. If I use a product like "wow" it won't last more than 3 days cos the quality is poor. So how long will it take our local producers to meet that standard I want cos for now I will still purchase foreign products?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Mamci: 7:58am On Jan 20
Omo my favourite, very mild
Well thank God for liquid soap

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by bonnyhope: 8:07am On Jan 20
ruffDiamond:
competitor like the Viva detergent and others don finally finished undecidedthem. sad

That Viva has good perfume

I switched from sunlight to Viva
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Maobichek: 8:12am On Jan 20
Bahamas95:
Ah! I will miss sunlight, I love that detergent.

Sunlight detergent is my best, i will try and see if i can buy enough of it today because that detergent beats Omo, Soclean and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Blackdisciple(m): 8:13am On Jan 20
We are getting there gradually...

OMO and LUX wey I grow come meet I'm 30+ now

Who says APC and their goons really know what they are doing...!

And I say it again we are getting there gradually soon nothing will be left in this country....

THE EVIL MEN DO if you want to know or see evil just look at APC they are full description of evil

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by bonnyhope: 8:14am On Jan 20
lexy2014:

how did Unilever not invest in research and development?

how did Lux and omo not make any improvement?

what was the improvement you were expecting them to make?

how are omo and lux low quality products?

Don't mind that guy

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Tonytonex(m): 8:27am On Jan 20
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Tonididdyx: 8:54am On Jan 20
With all these being said, Nigeria is very selective of patronage. It's not about "competition entirely" because for Yankee, a FULL row in a store is dedicated to Soaps and detergrnts and trust Me there's over a 100 options to choose from and some of these brands like UNILEVER still dey follow the new dogs dey drag shelf.

In Nigeria they run business differently, they don't do researches, no new products or rebranding, no seduction, no giving back to a community that has served you for years and you expect people to keep patronisibg you for ages, UNDER WHAT REASON?

ON DSTV Soith Africa, you see a lot of new products with fantastic deals and promos from popular brands ( brands also available here in Nigeria too) but these new products never come to our shores, we are always stock with the old, no promos, nothing!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Kay25(m): 8:55am On Jan 20
Too many of u complaining that it is tinubu's fault are ignorant fine i know the economy is not buoyant but these firms cant survive competitive market that is emerging some of this new products are locally made and doing fine in market hence there is more sales going to them and bigger firm loosing its hold
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by casualobserver: 8:57am On Jan 20
Drdhrey:

You are on point with your assertion, these brands have never been up and doing since there Inception into the Nigerian Market, the said OMO isn't even foamy, never liked it when growing up, thank God klin and Ariel came to my rescue as regards washing of clothes back then, OMO was nothing to write home about, they were living on the premise that they own Nigeria as you have joined, Unilever brothers,and as such could dish out substandard product to the market, that was one of their biggest undoings..
These has got nothing to do with the economy, they simply can't compete with the new cats in town, Dangote noodles too had to pack up for the big boys within that sector, the competition is strive.

Unilever a company whose history can be traced to the existence of Nigeria, a company that is responsible for the colonization of Nigeria, a company without whom there would be no Nigeria, a company that was the original exploiters of the natural resources of Nigeria , a company that was the top non-oil company on the stock exchange when I was growing up is worth less than $100m while it’s sister company UAC is worth less than $45m in a country with a GDP of $500Billion and a population of 200m more than a century after they started operations says everything about the real issues with Unilever and it’s legacy companies. There are apartment complexes in ikoyi that are worth more than Unilever.

When you hear stories of the ijebu wars or the Benin war, it was because of Unilever o! That Calabar was once capital of Nigeria was because of Unilever. southern protectorate, existed because of Unilever. Sapele port is because of Unilever. Our history is so intertwined with Unilever that it has no business being a company worth less than Dangote at the very least.

When I was growing up the chairmen of Unilever and UAC (Shonekan) were the captains of industry. They were the Dangote’s, the Elumelu’s and Otedola of that era. I am sure nobody here knows the chairman of Unilver or UAC unless you google it…telling you how insignificant they have become.

The irony is that palm oil as a raw material for Soap is what brought them to Nigeria in the 1st place centuries ago. Everything we have gone through as a country started with their quest for soap and now they can’t even compete in the soap market.

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by PHAYOL81: 8:57am On Jan 20
In the face of stiff competition, survival is only reserved for the fittest. So sad those products (being some of the pioneers )would have to go under as many competitors have emerged.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Tonididdyx: 9:05am On Jan 20
lexy2014:

how did Unilever not invest in research and development?

how did Lux and omo not make any improvement?

what was the improvement you were expecting them to make?

how are omo and lux low quality products?

The answer to your question is in the quote you mentioned!
Maybe you should travel to backyard South Africa and see what some of these same labels are doing in those countries from promos, to newest products, special products for kids, investment in the communities around them.

Here in Nigeria, they work cheap and stock old products, even their advertisments are 1960s, no investment or giving back.

Are all Nigerians fools? Absolute No!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by lexy2014: 9:06am On Jan 20
Tonididdyx:

The answer to your question is in the quote you mentioned!
Maybe you should travel to backyard South Africa and see what some of these same labels are doing in those countries from promos, to newest products, special products for kids, investment in the communities around them.

Here in Nigeria, they work cheap and stock old products, even their advertisments are 1960s, no investment or giving back.

Are all Nigerians fools? Absolute No!

off point.

1. how did Unilever not invest in research and development?

2. how did Lux and omo not make any improvement?

3. what was the improvement you were expecting them to make?

4. how are omo and lux low quality products?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Tonididdyx: 9:17am On Jan 20
lexy2014:

off point.

Since you choose to be stupid... I'll join in your stupidity and throw your questions back at you!

1. how did Unilever invest in research and development?

2. how did Lux and omo make any improvement?

3. what were the improvement made?

4. how are omo and lux high quality products?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by DeOTR: 9:19am On Jan 20
nams77:

It has to do with the current economic situation. Before you say Omo is no more in vogue and has been edged out by competition then you must know that sunlight, another of their product is very popular but yet they are quiting because of lose occasioned by dwindling economy. You can argue as usual but that's the fact staring you in the face
You guys just criticize blindly and unintelligently.
If 10 people are buying a detergent and a toilet soup this morning, how many of them do you think would buy Omo/Sunlight and Lux?
It's been more than 10 years I used any of these products. I'm sure you don't buy them too, but no, Tinubu must be blamed.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Tonididdyx: 9:20am On Jan 20
When a world class company decides to come to Nigeria and run business like a local barbershop

... This is what happens! grin
Much is expected of Unilever but they see Nigeria as a dumping ground for their 1960s innovation products.
A country where some rich elites fly in breakfast everyday from London
Just dey play!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Discountsempai: 9:21am On Jan 20
NotGej:

Blue color?! So e go dey stain white

When Omo was blue, it did not stain white. You poured a bit into water, worked it into a lather, and soaked your clothes...and then washed.

I used Omo for my white undies, and white school uniform back in the day. No staining. (Sometimes I used key soap, which was green or light brown, and which had one kind soapy smell, nostalgia).

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by bignero: 9:35am On Jan 20
Beremx:
Omo still dey market? Can't remember the last time I saw the product in the market. They should have rebranded instead of stopping the production. Bringing back the blue color of the detergent would have been nostalgic

what a dumb biatchhh....

you with your dirty legs staying in ahouse lighted by toxic fuel...your telling mutinational coy what to do?

am sure you voted tinubu, vote in, support animals etc you bear the consequneces...this is one of them
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by bignero: 9:40am On Jan 20
Akwamkpuruamu:

My brother, when u consider the reasoning of some people you share same country with, you become speechless...

i said something similar a while back with my friend who had run to UK....its the innocent nigerians i pity...

because when you stay in the midst of animals, you suffer the consequences of staying in the jungle.....they cant escape, ie the innocent...

it beats me how phd holders etc, defend a man who hired fake bishops, no school cert, criminal etc....if their not animals, then i dont know what they are...and staying in their midst brings dire consequnces....one of them is whats happening with uniliver...

we believe in God of justcie...ie most religions...with the bullshit just pulled in nigeria, you think they will allow prosperity come nigerias way?..like i said its the innocent ipity....it wll never be well with nigeria

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Adakintroy: 9:49am On Jan 20
You can't compete die.

Government will always be bad. But life it's a struggle including business life.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Streetmovement(m): 9:54am On Jan 20
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Can't even remember the last time I use any of this grin
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Ijaya123: 9:56am On Jan 20
atiku4President:
Harsh economy will only grind the wheel of production to a halt

When was the last time you bought Omo or Lux?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by Dialpad: 9:57am On Jan 20
What makes you think so?

broadman20:

I bet you and God is our witness that if Jonathan was in power now, you wouldn't have said this.

Most of you are so trabaliatic to the point that you are even enemies of your future.

Them take Una name go native doctor?

Nawaooo!
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by atiku4President(m): 10:10am On Jan 20
Ijaya123:

When was the last time you bought Omo or Lux?
Is that the reason they are closing shop?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by lexy2014: 10:12am On Jan 20
Tonididdyx:

Since you choose to be stupid... I'll join in your stupidity and throw your questions back at you!

you sound hurt. whats the problem?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux by nams77: 10:15am On Jan 20
DeOTR:

You guys just criticize blindly and unintelligently.
If 10 people are buying a detergent and a toilet soup this morning, how many of them do you think would buy Omo/Sunlight and Lux?
It's been more than 10 years I used any of these products. I'm sure you don't buy them too, but no, Tinubu must be blamed.
Sometimes you guys baffle me! Did you do your home work at all? You think Unilever is a baby in the industry? Apart from Omo and Lux, they also make sunlight which is a top brand in the market before it was yanked off.
Apart from sunlight, are you also aware that unilver are the maker of close up, Lipton, Knorr, blue band margarine, pears baby lotion and vaseline? Does these products looked like failing products in the Market.
You think anyone thats says anything about the economy is doing so as a result of hatred of your god Tinubu?
It's quite pathetic the way you lots reason. Open your eyes and smell the coffee! APC is sinking this country. This is no hatred for your lord, tinubu

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire / The CORRECT Nigeria Zip Code / Tycoons Who Won't Leave Their Fortunes To Their Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.