Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,250 members, 7,815,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) (54457 Views)

City-based Roofers Are Creating Strong & Stylish Roofs For Future / Turn Old Roofs Into New With #SOLACOAT! / Say Bye Bye To Re-roofing...turn Old Roofs Into New! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by AirCraft: 5:58pm On Jan 23
IT IS FOR, MAINLY, AESTHETHICS.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Sammy249: 5:58pm On Jan 23
muller101:
For easy identification. " you see that house with the tallest roof down the street, that's where I am staying.

You are clown funny šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by jumokeadele(m): 5:59pm On Jan 23
omo you fine o
MissJ0:
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by khayce: 6:01pm On Jan 23
Una go start to dey throw blow upanda ontop this small question now.. this forum foundation was built on stolen Aro Land i guess

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by MasterTeeUSA: 6:01pm On Jan 23
A waste of money and resources....when my roofer wanted to do this shit, I told him I don't need it that high...we cut it to about half the size...I am not sure people realize the amount of unnecessary materials being used for something not needed. These materials come with 25-50yr warranty especially Gerard Roof Tiles. They often say it allows more space so hot air would flow easily...but if I am planning to install POP and AC anyways, why could that matter.. They actually look ugly from afar...something people barely consider...how can the height of the roof be almost the height of the house from the base? It is important we stay in school and learn to study and research...this is not done in any sane country or countries.

money121:

Mute Efe

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Nokio2: 6:01pm On Jan 23
money121:
Advantage of high roofing

There's less danger of pooling water: On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes short work of any moistureā€”as the roof quickly channels the water down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks.

You dey explain give Ibadan person...
If roof no brown na roof be dat

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Richietech(m): 6:01pm On Jan 23
matify83:
Thanks for bringing this to public discuss.

I have always had my reservations for this trend which is fast gaining popularity.

Firstly, the assertion of improvement in water run off does not hold water. A 45 degree slope is enough evacuate any amount of precipitation.

The idea may have started from people copying western designs without configuring them to our climate.
The high roof creates space for the attic which "oyibo" people also use as living spaces. But in our clime, you would fry to death because of the heat up there.

Some have adduced that it makes the house cooler. This is another misconception because simple physics should tell them that the larger surface area of roofing tiles or aluminium exposed to the sun increases the convection of heat into the living spaces.

More worrisome is the addition of cornices or parapet which prevents the roof from breathing thereby trapping tremendous heat in the attic and by extension the living spaces below.

Visiting old institutions built during the colonial era, you will marvel at how passive those design were and are liveable even without artificial cooling e.g UI main library, UCH main structures, ABH.

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing.
when I see reviews like this,I know a professional is behind itā€¦.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by DaddyGngeess(m): 6:02pm On Jan 23
Just design nothing more, those stories of water this water that, reduces heat bla bla is just story talking from experience

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Cromagnon: 6:02pm On Jan 23
atiku4President:

Lies. The higher the roof the higher the angle of elevation which reduces the impact of rain on the roof and increases durability.
On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes any moisture from water to be quickly channelled t down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks
lies
Just say you want to charge more for useless materials

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Focusmind: 6:02pm On Jan 23
Come to my village in Anambra, it is a marathon contest, whose black stone coated roofing is the the tallest. Woe be tie you if you are building close to where an importer is also building grin He would make sure that his roof alone dwarfs your own house. One house under construction, before the "eke-nkwo" market, a bungalow, but the height of the roof seems longer than the height of the main bungalow house.

For me o, flat roof anytime. Flat roof designs makes buildings look contemporary and modern. However, it has to be well- fitted by a seasoned roofer otherwise, you go hear am!

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by SeeWahala: 6:02pm On Jan 23
Ikinternational:
Ndigbo you're being called o
Come n answer them šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Una dey use 4million do village roofing jobšŸ˜

Are you jealous?

We heard in your own village una no even get roof . . . The few that you managed to have is all rusted brown undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Cromagnon: 6:02pm On Jan 23
mrvitalis:

Don't know who taught you physics but you don't need that high elevation to remove water

15Ā° elevation is more than enough even 5Ā° the water would flow down

I heard you talking about moisture, moisture for metal roof in a tropical climate?

Bros please na
he thinks everyone is stupid like him

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by yemmy0074(m): 6:03pm On Jan 23
matify83:

I have always had my reservations for this trend which is fast gaining popularity.

Firstly, the assertion of improvement in water run off does not hold water. A 45 degree slope is enough evacuate any amount of precipitation.

The idea may have started from people copying western designs without configuring them to our climate.
The high roof creates space for the attic which "oyibo" people also use as living spaces. But in our clime, you would fry to death because of the heat up there.

Some have adduced that it makes the house cooler. This is another misconception because simple physics should tell them that the larger surface area of roofing tiles or aluminium exposed to the sun increases the convection of heat into the living spaces.

More worrisome is the addition of cornices or parapet which prevents the roof from breathing thereby trapping tremendous heat in the attic and by extension the living spaces below.

Visiting old institutions built during the colonial era, you will marvel at how passive those design were and are liveable even without artificial cooling e.g UI main library, UCH main structures, ABH.

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing.

God bless you for these insights. I've always had my reservations about these high roofs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by CoolAmbience(m): 6:04pm On Jan 23
money121:

There's less danger of pooling water: On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes short work of any moistureā€”as the roof quickly channels the water down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks.

To add to the brilliant contribution you made.
A high or higher roof has good implication for energy consumption and improves indoor cooling.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by LOVEALAIGBO: 6:05pm On Jan 23
illicit:
Na copy copy

šŸ„µ

Thatā€™s part of the reasonā€¦.if not the major one! In the UK and other western countries where itā€™s the norm, that space is used as the atticā€¦.for storage, as well as being used to locate other equipment for use in the running of the homeā€¦.like water containers and boilers! These ones in Nigeria are normally empty!

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by tivity101: 6:05pm On Jan 23
Some say it makes the home šŸ  to be cool during hot seasons as the heat dissipated from the high roof do not really get into the home compared with homes with flat roofs where the ceiling is closer to the roof and any heat that comes from the roof easily finds it's way into the room

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by MissIndependent(f): 6:06pm On Jan 23
Copied.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Lifemanage: 6:07pm On Jan 23
money121:

Wrong. By experience they all leak. Na format for more money by the carpenter. Nothing special

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Lifemanage: 6:08pm On Jan 23
matify83:

Well said. It is a scam in the tropics

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Cruz889(m): 6:09pm On Jan 23
Who else thinks it has more to do with our extreme heat than water runoffs? Google gave an answer based on the reason why it's seen in the West, which isn't the same for us.

High roofing helps regulate/trap heat. People who have lived in both low and high roofs would testify to this.
High roofing helps regulate/traps heat
People who have lived in both low and high roofs would testify to this

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Antoeni(m): 6:11pm On Jan 23
In My Village, Its Called Send Down The Rain

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Emusan(m): 6:13pm On Jan 23
CoolAmbience:

To add to the brilliant contribution you made.
A high or higher roof has good implication for energy consumption and improves indoor cooling.

This is pure lie!

Cross ventilation is achieved in a building with good opening not from the roof.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by gaby(m): 6:15pm On Jan 23
I've never fancied them.

Waste of materials and money.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Konquest: 6:15pm On Jan 23
money121:

Are they constructing a pyramid of Giza in Egypt?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Sensiblerealist: 6:16pm On Jan 23
Abeg I give it to you until I see a contrary opinion with enough fact and evidence to dispute all that you adduced.
I just noor like am at all. I think people only do it for the aesthetics, cuz I dey wonder why another story is used to construct just a roof.

matify83:

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by 123papas(m): 6:18pm On Jan 23
It is called ā€˜send down the rainā€™
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Arcbox(m): 6:20pm On Jan 23
It allow for quick run-off rain water and prevent leakages as compare to flat roof..itā€™s more aesthetically pleasing and egocentric..it allow for better indoor air quality and thermal comfort in building. Finally, it last longer than flat roof.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by CorrectionFLuid: 6:25pm On Jan 23
gasparpisciotta:

This is a laymanā€™s opinion.

Any roof with more than 5degree slope will not pool so long as there are no impediments.

Water must always find e level. He never hear that one

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by brainhgeek(m): 6:25pm On Jan 23
money121:

Stop joor grin grin ;
I heard some even hide money under that roof
Sure thing for Gwarimpa

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by lalalista: 6:28pm On Jan 23
I can't believe nobody knows the reason for this. It's to reduce the penetration of the heating of the sun into the room
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Raph82(m): 6:29pm On Jan 23
With high roofs, carpenters are closer to heaven. U know what that means right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Most Expensive Real Estate Locations In Nigeria (2021) / Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / Ikoyi Building: Wife, Relations Fight Over Femi Osibina's Cash, Luxury Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.