Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) (54452 Views)

City-based Roofers Are Creating Strong & Stylish Roofs For Future / Turn Old Roofs Into New With #SOLACOAT! / Say Bye Bye To Re-roofing...turn Old Roofs Into New! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by OmejeGuy: 9:15am On Jan 24
Wealthoptulent:

in UK a LOFT is BUILT in it
most European people creates ATTIC in the ROOF due to space to build STORE or dump GARAGE as buildings are carved on No/little space

I Googled it and it's cool concept. I'll try to do that in my future house InshaAllah. Wooden floor instead of conventional concrete decking but the load there won't be much. We can be praying and eating there while beds, fridge, wardrobe and other heavy household items remain down. Thanks for the insight
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by m2cad: 9:24am On Jan 24
Best fit answer!!!!!!!!!!!

its just a trend "send doen drain"

not so appropriate for nigerian climate

matify83:
Thanks for bringing this to public discuss.

I have always had my reservations for this trend which is fast gaining popularity.

Firstly, the assertion of improvement in water run off does not hold water. A 45 degree slope is enough evacuate any amount of precipitation.

The idea may have started from people copying western designs without configuring them to our climate.
The high roof creates space for the attic which "oyibo" people also use as living spaces. But in our clime, you would fry to death because of the heat up there.

Some have adduced that it makes the house cooler. This is another misconception because simple physics should tell them that the larger surface area of roofing tiles or aluminium exposed to the sun increases the convection of heat into the living spaces.

More worrisome is the addition of cornices or parapet which prevents the roof from breathing thereby trapping tremendous heat in the attic and by extension the living spaces below.

Visiting old institutions built during the colonial era, you will marvel at how passive those design were and are liveable even without artificial cooling e.g UI main library, UCH main structures, ABH.

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing.
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Southwestidiot: 9:26am On Jan 24
BloomingDale:
To prevent their neighbors from getting fresh air.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Emusan(m): 9:35am On Jan 24
CoolAmbience:
Lol...
You must be really ignorant.
Any sane person knows that the higher a roof is away from its occupants, the greater the comfort they derive. We are talking impact of proximity as it relates to heat radiation here.

Funny how you people quick to insult when empty.

What is the standard recommendation for roof Design as par BS8110 or EC2?

I did a course on the revolutionary Cool Ambient Technology in far away North America, exactly ten years ago.

Simple analogy, do you feel the heat of fire more when it is closer or farther from you?
Try dey reason na, and be open to learning.

I repeat in building cross ventilation is achieved through openings not roof.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by free234free: 9:35am On Jan 24
money121:
Advantage of high roofing

There's less danger of pooling water: On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes short work of any moisture—as the roof quickly channels the water down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks.
relax. The major reason na because e fine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by money121(m): 9:55am On Jan 24
EverythingPhone:

Do you own gist me love blog
Yes
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by money121(m): 10:00am On Jan 24
Ravenna:

Very poor thinking..

Peele rich thicker
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by money121(m): 10:01am On Jan 24
yusluvad:
Egbon you don start blogging ?

Boss has been a long time business man in this roofing business, and also a long time crypto trader and exchanger. He also has a blood brother doing exceedingly great and excelling well in the online space. Awon ti Lasuite.🙌🏽🙌🏽🤭🤭

Oluwanishola brother mi cool

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:06pm On Jan 24
Originalsly:
Didn't read all the comments .... and I'm not into architecture. I believe the high roof has nothing to do with rain .... but about making a larger roof area to install solar panels. These are sensible forward thinking people and not the follow follow type who in hot hot Nigeria be copying Europe cold climate house designs. Then they be broiling in their homes if they don't have commercial fans or can afford to run a/c 24/7. High roof also makes the house cooler. Hot air rises and will be wayy up leaving the cooler air at the bottom where people will be comfortable. The house becomes even cooler if a few windows are way up to allow the hot air to escape and cooler air sacked in through the lower windows. Such a house never needs a fan. We need to be building houses to suit our climate .... houses to allow heat to escape ... not to trap heat. We can see tht clearly in the US. houses in New York are not the same as those in Texas or Florida... NY houses are designed to trap heat .... Florida/Texas houses are designed to release heat. Even if they do .... they can afford to run a/c 24/7 .... can we?

Snacks... feel free .

Sorry, does that mean a set of windows up the wall and another set below?... Don't really understand

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by tymicjay77: 4:02pm On Jan 24
High roof top is actually an artistic purpose more, but there are some benefits too.
1. If properly design with all features in place, it helps in cooling the lower living space. A high roof with proper vent will definitely cool the room, because there is enough space to contain the hot air in the space., but if improper vent is not put in place it actually heat up the living space below. Most country with low extreme temp, usually use this design to hold up the heat during the day, some even create a living space within the roof space just to get some warmth.
2. Water run off on such high roof is good , because it prevent water sipping through weak point or dent in the roof. That is why flat roof are really prone to leakage easily so the more the roof slope the better it run off water due to free fall under gravity .
3. It has more stability than any other form of roofing, yes that very true. The higher the roof top the more is difficult for such roof to be blown off by wind or hurricane if well designed. This is because the air from above the surface during wind turbulence will be more and it will counter the air flow below the roof round the building .This type of roof design is actually meant for low high buildings course the roof serve as wind breaker, reason why it also helps in cooling. Because all wind directed at it,hit on the surface of the roof. So the more the surface the more the wind, so if the vent are in place more airflow will cool the surface of the living space. ( Note some design even direct the vent air flow back into the living space below the ceiling for heating and cooling the room instead of using burning fuel to heat the room, the heat gather in the roof during the day is allow to flow through the vent into the room .) But such design are only meant for country with extreme low temp..
So high top roof actually have important apart from it artistic view or beautification.

The disadvantages may include,
1. Required more materials to use up for a limited budget individual, the number of materials both the wood lengths and the roofing sheet is more compare to just moderate or flat roof
2. Excessive dead weight on the building, yes the number of truss that will linked up to complete the structure will add more weight the block work below
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Originalsly: 4:48pm On Jan 24
Yampotatocarrot:

Sorry, does that mean a set of windows up the wall and another set below?... Don't really understand

Hope this pic clears it up! I'm almost sure you saw several houses with similar roof designs ... but minus those upper windows. In this one ... there may be an attic ... if not ... when the small upper windows are opened ... the hot trapped up there escapes.
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Ikinternational: 4:58pm On Jan 24
SeeWahala:

Are you jealous?

We heard in your own village una no even get roof . . . The few that you managed to have is all rusted brown undecided

Guy your brain is just for nap time.
Sorry for your confusion
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Lifemanage: 5:38pm On Jan 24
Emusan:

Fact.
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by yusluvad(m): 9:56pm On Jan 24
money121:

Oluwanishola brother mi cool
Ahead ahead Egbon mi. Just coming online now. Make I paste my azza sir ?
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by CoolAmbience(m): 8:17pm On Jan 25
Emusan:

And I repeat, you are ignorant of what you are saying.

That's no insult. It is a statement of fact.

Is it angels that made the design recommendation that you talked about?

You can't talk about cooling in a building without paying cognizance to the amount of heat that radiates into the building from the roof...

Are you aware that over 70% of heat that comes into the building is from roof?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Most Expensive Real Estate Locations In Nigeria (2021) / Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / Ikoyi Building: Wife, Relations Fight Over Femi Osibina's Cash, Luxury Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.