Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) (54454 Views)

City-based Roofers Are Creating Strong & Stylish Roofs For Future / Turn Old Roofs Into New With #SOLACOAT! / Say Bye Bye To Re-roofing...turn Old Roofs Into New! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by LOVEGINO(m): 6:31pm On Jan 23
atiku4President:

Lies. The higher the roof the higher the angle of elevation which reduces the impact of rain on the roof and increases durability.
On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes any moisture from water to be quickly channelled t down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks
lie also. It's just a waste of money.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by ezenwaez(m): 6:33pm On Jan 23
It's a compartment for goods for importers
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by jubrilELsudan: 6:34pm On Jan 23
AS THE ROOF HIGH SO NA TO STOP WINTCH MAKE DEM NO FIT LAND ON TOP YA ROOF OOOOO

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by hakeemhakeem(m): 6:36pm On Jan 23
matify83:
Thanks for bringing this to public discuss.

I have always had my reservations for this trend which is fast gaining popularity.

Firstly, the assertion of improvement in water run off does not hold water. A 45 degree slope is enough evacuate any amount of precipitation.

The idea may have started from people copying western designs without configuring them to our climate.
The high roof creates space for the attic which "oyibo" people also use as living spaces. But in our clime, you would fry to death because of the heat up there.

Some have adduced that it makes the house cooler. This is another misconception because simple physics should tell them that the larger surface area of roofing tiles or aluminium exposed to the sun increases the convection of heat into the living spaces.

More worrisome is the addition of cornices or parapet which prevents the roof from breathing thereby trapping tremendous heat in the attic and by extension the living spaces below.

Visiting old institutions built during the colonial era, you will marvel at how passive those design were and are liveable even without artificial cooling e.g UI main library, UCH main structures, ABH.

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing.

The heat can be prevent they will add asbestos ceiling and fiber
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Godstiger(m): 6:39pm On Jan 23
We call it send down the rain
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Bjteensdes24: 6:39pm On Jan 23
Aesthetic and easy discharge of rainfall. Also, heat reduction compare to all these low roofs

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by achorladey: 6:39pm On Jan 23
money121:

Mute Efe

Send down the rain grin grin
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Aarenasbaba(m): 6:40pm On Jan 23
You should have called an architect or a builder instead of calling civil engineer
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by qtx(m): 6:42pm On Jan 23
money121:
Advantage of high roofing

There's less danger of pooling water: On high-slope rooftops, gravity makes short work of any moisture—as the roof quickly channels the water down into gutters. The lower the slope, the longer moisture lingers on the rooftop where it degrades materials and turns weak spots into leaks.
A simple ansa: such a tall roof = waste of money and labour.
Materials last based on quality, weather and climatic conditions. QED

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by BrutusOj(m): 6:43pm On Jan 23
[quote author=matify83 post=128086381]Thanks for bringing this to public discuss.

I have always had my reservations for this trend which is fast gaining popularity.

Firstly, the assertion of improvement in water run off does not hold water. A 45 degree slope is enough evacuate any amount of precipitation.

The idea may have started from people copying western designs without configuring them to our climate.
The high roof creates space for the attic which "oyibo" people also use as living spaces. But in our clime, you would fry to death because of the heat up there.

Some have adduced that it makes the house cooler. This is another misconception because simple physics should tell them that the larger surface area of roofing tiles or aluminium exposed to the sun increases the convection of heat into the living spaces.

More worrisome is the addition of cornices or parapet which prevents the roof from breathing thereby trapping tremendous heat in the attic and by extension the living spaces below.

Visiting old institutions built during the colonial era, you will marvel at how passive those design were and are liveable even without artificial cooling e.g UI main library, UCH main structures, ABH.

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing quote\].

Kindly throw more light on the bolded to a lay man.
Please, make it simple for a none civil engineer, building engineer or Architect.
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Bigmospa: 6:44pm On Jan 23
BloomingDale:
To prevent their neighbors from getting fresh air.
indeed... u go school

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Babaken(m): 6:45pm On Jan 23
Ikinternational:
Ndigbo you're being called o
Come n answer them 😂🤣
Una dey use 4million do village roofing job😁
me that is planning to use hidden roofing I like the design no be small.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by lexy2014: 6:48pm On Jan 23
gasparpisciotta:
Apart from aesthetics, high roof has no special advantage. It is even a disadvantage in case of maintenance because carpenters will find it difficult to maintain good balance when carrying out repair works on the roof.

There is a popular saying amongst carpenters: a high roof is the gateway to heaven.

If it's a disadvantage to maintenance, how was the roof installed?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by ceejay80s(m): 6:52pm On Jan 23
BloomingDale:
Evil

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by MeineMutter: 6:56pm On Jan 23
matify83:

In a nut shell, increasing floor to ceiling height with clerestory Windows is more tropical oriented than the miss-fit we are discussing.

May you live longer.

It’s just a waste of money. Must we plate SHUKU on every building?

Let heavy cyclone hit it. It will cart it way.
It can even make the building to get weaker and age quickly, because of the heavy load the building is carrying and especially because of those bricks that are not strong.
Na copy and paste dey worry our people jare. I better pass my neighbor.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Evolutionism: 7:03pm On Jan 23
BloomingDale:

Barbie😂
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Zeebuy: 7:04pm On Jan 23
muller101:
For easy identification. " you see that house with the tallest roof down the street, that's where I am staying.
Hahahahhahaahahhaha
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Evolutionism: 7:06pm On Jan 23
matify83:

Wow absolutely Apt.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Evolutionism: 7:06pm On Jan 23
money121:

Civil engineers and builders, this is a new building coming up in the estate where I reside. I noticed that the roof is extra high. You can see that from the picture.

Please what is the idea behind these high roofs? Or is there something the owner wants to be keeping there?

Normally i dislike those high roofings.

Just waste of money and ugliness.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Oniovoh: 7:07pm On Jan 23
Wealthoptulent:

in UK a LOFT is BUILT in it
most European people creates ATTIC in the ROOF due to space to build STORE or dump GARAGE as buildings are carved on No/little space

U took the words right out of my mouth.
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:07pm On Jan 23
Basically, these high pitched roofs are a conventional roof type in clans with heavy snow pour, the essence of the high roof however is to help drain down the snows as quickly as possible so as not to stay longer on the roof, thereby adding extra load on the roof which may eventually result in depression and cause leakage problems on the long run.

But trust Nigerians, once they see something that looks appealing in the eyes, chances are they may not ask the reason why it's been done, they will go ahead and do it.
We don't have snow here, and a minimum height of between 1.2 - 1.5m which are used for concealed roof and flat roof can comfortably slope down rainwater water without hassle, provided the choice of roof sheet is plain long span roofing sheet.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Peakdesign23(m): 7:08pm On Jan 23
Show off 😂

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Caleb15(m): 7:12pm On Jan 23
Send down the rain by Majeek fasheek

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Rumundele(m): 7:18pm On Jan 23
This is to make more money nothing more nothing less, high roof consume more materials which translates to more money.
The highest conspiracy from the dealer and the workers. Hope i make sense here
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by ObalendeCMS: 7:20pm On Jan 23
follow follow...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Niyi4321: 7:21pm On Jan 23
money121:

Stop joor grin grin ;
I heard some even hide money under that roof
Wait! Like Money...Money, Money
Tell me the place make I know the location.
I want to see for myself

1 Like

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by money121(m): 7:22pm On Jan 23
Niyi4321:

Wait! Like Money...Money, Money
Tell me the place make I know the location.
I want to see for myself
Someone said abuja
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Kennyswag: 7:33pm On Jan 23
It reduces the amount of heat in the house cool
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by mrsiso(m): 7:34pm On Jan 23
matify83:

I had a personal experience using 5ft height for the key post used at the center to hold the triangle that edge that slopes down, it ended up as a mess because I used step tiles that slopes well. Any heavy rain na soso water for inside ceiling, had to raise it to 8ft to finally rest.

My problem with long span is that for any little damage you will have to remove the entire length for replacement. On the long run I realised that normal asbestos would have saved me this whole hustle and waste.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by Allisgud: 7:42pm On Jan 23
New ways politicians launder money
Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by lagosrd: 7:44pm On Jan 23
The subtle idea behind it is stupidity and idiocy laced with illiteracy and quackery and a dose of lawlessness.

How on earth will a roof be that high and no meaningful thing going on under it . Everything you need to know an do about roofs is been taught and learnt and practiced by professionals but unfortunately artisans turned contractors and engineers have taken over.

The one that surprises me most is that once the roof has any leaks , they come back to tell the house owner to buy another one. Since they are be only ones that know how to climb it .

They install high roofs especially the metal ones without mandating the home owners to install lighting/ tinder arrestor. Something that can electrocute the whole house.

That is what is it in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Idea Behind These High Roofs? (Photo) by nedekid: 7:45pm On Jan 23
Omo, I wonder.
Oyinbo people will make an attic. Room for lounging, storage, man cave etc.
Here, I have noticed they are all empty. Some say the hight is to ensure you never have leakage as the water flows freely. Some say it is an ego thing, say my roof pass your own, my roof be the highest at my adugbo etc

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Most Expensive Real Estate Locations In Nigeria (2021) / Photos Of My Apartment After Renovation For Christmas -phoros / Ikoyi Building: Wife, Relations Fight Over Femi Osibina's Cash, Luxury Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.