Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff (18286 Views)

"It is null and void": Edison Ehie Faults Rivers Assembly's Overriding Of Fubara / Court Orders Arrest Of Fubara's Chief Of Staff, Edison Ehie / Governor Fubara Appoints Former Assembly Speaker, Edison As Chief Of Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:11am On Jan 29
sageb:

From speaker to COS
@Mrksquare I see Ehie's move from an elected position(House of Assembly member) to an appointee(COS) as kind of weird.
What's your view about it?
But Femi Gbajabiamila resigned from his elected position to take the role COS to Tunubu likewise other legislators resigned to take ministerial roles. What is more weird than that?
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:12am On Jan 29
Hoelujohn:

The new speaker will have to go through him to get to the governor.

Does it look like this speaker wants to see the governor? Lol 🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by ufuosman(m): 11:14am On Jan 29
Congrats COS
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by dangoteinlaw: 11:16am On Jan 29
Mumu governor, wike is just waiting for his term to be over there he will teach him a lesson. This one should forget about 2nd term.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Badadvisor: 11:17am On Jan 29
BondRiv:

Myopic fellow. Start by counting me out. I do not want to see him. No wonder this country is like this. Anyway, I have spelt out his powers for you. If you do want to see him, you are at the mercy of the Chief of Staff, unless the governor has a hands-on approach to governance. This one is clearly naive.

You know the truth but you're just being sentimental, obviously one of Wiki foot soldiers.
Which influential personalities would come into PH and won't want to have access to the governor. Sorry to say but you're not making any iota of sense

1 Like

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:17am On Jan 29
fergie001:
If you get one of those two, my brother pick Chief of Staff ooooo, e get why!

No budget .... Except the Governor, extremely more powerful than everyone including the Deputy Governor.

U can be fired at anytime take note. If not for the kind of system we run, an autonomous speaker is as powerful as the governor. Give full autonomy to the state legislature and see the full power of a speaker. You can see what Martins led Rivers State assembly is doing to Fubara already.

With full autonomy I go collect speaker ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Vicana: 11:19am On Jan 29
BondRiv:

Power to do what? Outline. You don't know what you are talking about.

You can never compare a Chief of Staff to the Speaker or even the deputy governor. Both rank higher.

When a governor is in charge of his government, there is not much for a Chief of Staff to do except manage staff.

The major power a Chief of Staff has is managing those who want an audience with the governor, that is all. If you don't want to see the governor, you will have very little contact with him.

i don't know what am talking about. I hear you.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:19am On Jan 29
aribisala0:

Does governor have any money
It is law that gives him power
Did he bring any money from his house to a Government House
If he does not obey the law they will impeach him
Tinubu's government will not send him a kobo of allocation outside the law.
All the House need to do is pass a law with two thirds majority and the FG will send them their money directly. They can even stop the governor receiving money from the FG by passing a law to that effect

Because you are used to seeing compliant Houses you do not realise how powerful the House is.?
The House can freeze all bank accounts of the state and the banks must comply .
Oga, you have little or no understanding on how legislators are run. Their budget are funded by the executive/governor that is the constitution of FG, Tinubu has no any right to send money or fund an isolated state legislation, nor will National Assembly wake up one day to change the constitution because of Rivers State. How state house of Assembly and LG is being funded are is well spelt in Nigeria constitution, State Assembly has no constitutional right over it.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by chukseric504869: 11:25am On Jan 29
You gat it 💯 correct dear, people are just talking out of ignorance, sentiment and emotion.the chief of staff is only relevance as the governor want him to be.i am currently working in the office of the chief of staff which even most of the assignment stated here for the chief of staff are done by the PS of the governor
BondRiv:

There are always protocols to see public officials, nothing special. The governor will go through same to see the Speaker.

The Chief of Staff is not as powerful as the governor. That is not true. In the absence of the governor, he cannot perform the governor's constitutional functions. He simply manages staff at the Government House and does anything the governor may authorise him to do, so long as it is constitutional. He is only as powerful as the governor wants him to be.

At the end of the day, it is not a constitutional office, leave all the word salad. Should anything happen to the governor, the deputy takes over.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:26am On Jan 29
Demigod22:

Abba Kyari will just be smiling at your naivety in African practical politics. West you typed up there is the ideal point, but in Nigeria, you look at the practicality of situations.

In States like Kogi, Ogun, the speaker is a Lilly liver, Chief of Staff practically hijacked day to day governance.

You see the level of power Chief of Staff exercised under Buhari?

Buhari was a weak president. The chief of staff is as powerful as the governor or president wants him or her. Under a very strong personality, the chief of staff has no much influence.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by millionboi2: 11:26am On Jan 29
aribisala0:

Shut up your ignorant mouth
U are talking to learned ppl, people who are more exposed than u,so think before you type in a public forum.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by aribisala0(m): 11:28am On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:
Oga, you have little or no understanding on how legislators are run. Their budget are funded by the executive/governor that is the constitution of FG, Tinubu has no any right to send money or fund an isolated state legislation, nor will National Assembly wake up one day to change the constitution because of Rivers State. How state house of Assembly and LG is being funded are is well spelt in Nigeria constitution, State Assembly has no constitutional right over it.
There is now a law in Rivers State called
The Rivers State Funds Management and Financial Autonomy Law
Go and educate yourself before coming here to talk Rubbish

You are talking nonsense and cannot even spend legislature
Legislatures are run by law. The constitution allows legislatures to make laws and even override an executive veto.
There is nowhere in the construction that a governor is made a treasure or accountant of the state.Nowhere.
If a law is passed constitutionally it MUST be obeyed

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by aribisala0(m): 11:29am On Jan 29
millionboi2:
U are talking to learned ppl, people who are more exposed than u,so think before you type in a public forum.
You? Learned?
Lol
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by fergie001: 11:32am On Jan 29
Indispensable85:
U can be fired at anytime take note. If not for the kind of system we run, an autonomous speaker is as powerful as the governor. Give full autonomy to the state legislature and see the full power of a speaker. You can see what Martins led Rivers State assembly is doing to Fubara already.

Martins only have a teeth because the Governor has no tooth. Who says a Speaker can't be taken out. We have countless examples, I mean countless in Nigeria. It is because of who Fubara is, we saw it with Obaseki, didn't we? Will the Speaker had done same with Wike?

Nigeria is no utopia, and how many times not just in Nigeria do you hear that a President or Governor fired his Chief of Staff, his closest staff. The man who vets everyone that either wants to come see him or even work for him. The man who takes the hit of the Government, the man who can even kill to protect his Principal.

Only naive players like Jonathan did that and paid for it.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by EdoBoy90(m): 11:32am On Jan 29
Shut up. You are still a kid.

How can you compare COS to a Speaker? COS is more powerful and better. Speaker can be easily impeached.

Indispensable85:

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by chukseric504869: 11:32am On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:
But Femi Gbajabiamila resigned from his elected position to take the role COS to Tunubu likewise other legislators resigned to take ministerial roles. What is more weird than that?
and you didn't see the one that resigned from minister to take up sentorial position, politics is all about calculation and interest.you think Gbaja would have resigned if the position of speaker was to his favor?

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Otsam(m): 11:34am On Jan 29
Which means, his resignation was a well planned script in the first place.
Papparassi:
Rivers State Governor Sim Fubara Announced the Appointment of former factional Speaker, Hon. Edison Ehie as Chief of Staff.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by moodyguy: 11:37am On Jan 29
BarrElChapo:

Nah.. The governor needs the speaker and by extension the legislature on his side, if not they can make life harder for him.
The reverse is the case here
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by aribisala0(m): 11:38am On Jan 29
Indispensable85:

Buhari was a weak president. The chief of staff is as powerful as the governor or president wants him or her. Under a very strong personality, the chief of staff has no much influence.
Did Buhari want Gambari to be powerful?
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:39am On Jan 29
BondRiv:

Myopic fellow. Start by counting me out. I do not want to see him. No wonder this country is like this. Anyway, I have spelt out his powers for you. If you do want to see him, you are at the mercy of the Chief of Staff, unless the governor has a hands-on approach to governance. This one is clearly naive.

Too many ignorant fellows on nairaland. Please allow the guy. You can't educate an intentional ignoramus.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by fergie001: 11:39am On Jan 29
Agboriotejoye:

What do you think of this fubara and the house over this LG matter

Is he already holding the short end of the stick?
Fubara is just playing a planned game with his benefactor. It's a family matter, they can sort themselves out.

However, it is within the jurisdiction of State Houses of Assembly to enact laws with respect to Local Government Councils.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by BondRiv: 11:41am On Jan 29
Badadvisor:

You know the truth but you're just being sentimental, obviously one of Wiki foot soldiers.
Which influential personalities would come into PH and won't want to have access to the governor. Sorry to say but you're not making any iota of sense

Your environment has influenced your way of thinking. Sympathies.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by BondRiv: 11:44am On Jan 29
A lot needs to be done to educate people about the government. Some people are still grappling with the basics. This is why you see comparisons between the head of the legislative branch and a staff in the executive branch, not even the head.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:44am On Jan 29
aribisala0:

Does governor have any money
It is law that gives him power
Did he bring any money from his house to a Government House
If he does not obey the law they will impeach him
Tinubu's government will not send him a kobo of allocation outside the law.
All the House need to do is pass a law with two thirds majority and the FG will send them their money directly. They can even stop the governor receiving money from the FG by passing a law to that effect

Because you are used to seeing compliant Houses you do not realise how powerful the House is.?
The House can freeze all bank accounts of the state and the banks must comply .

Don't bother about those kids
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Minime10(f): 11:45am On Jan 29
BondRiv:

There are always protocols to see public officials, nothing special. The governor will go through same to see the Speaker.

The Chief of Staff is not as powerful as the governor. That is not true. In the absence of the governor, he cannot perform the governor's constitutional functions. He simply manages staff at the Government House and does anything the governor may authorise him to do, so long as it is constitutional. He is only as powerful as the governor wants him to be.

At the end of the day, it is not a constitutional office, leave all the word salad. Should anything happen to the governor, the deputy takes over.

Did I ever said in my post that the office of the COS is any creation of the Constitution.
Mind you under Section 196 (1) of the Constitution, the Governor has power to appoint anyone to any such office created by him to assist in the running of his administration including the office of COS though not expressly mentioned in the Constitution.
Can you mention one senerio where the President or the Governor of a State pass through any form of protocols before meeting either of the Senate President, Speaker House of Rep or Speaker of State Assemblies?
Now back to our discussion, the Deputy Governor of a State can't even see his boss except the COS gives him/her clearance so to do. That is the reality bro.
The COS is just the behind the scene Governor. 🤓
Like someone said before on this thread, if you are offered any of the two, I bet u, you will sure go for the COS position except you are neophyte .
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by flexyrule(m): 11:46am On Jan 29
TYCO77:
[color=#000099][/color]

He alluded the Speaker because the comparison here is between the office of a chief of staff to a state governor and the office of a speaker of a state House of Assembly. Meanwhile, a speaker cannot impeach a governor, only a State House of Assembly is constitutionally invested with the power of impeachment; if you understand what I mean.
Yeah. The speaker cannot single-handedly remove the Governor. But I'm sure that you know the voting strenght of the various sides in the Rivers state house of assembly...

If you know what I mean..

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 11:47am On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:

Femi knew he will not be reelected as speaker again. Nobody will resign as speaker of house of representatives to take up any appointment in the executive. He's the number 3 man in the country.

By the way, lalong also resigned as minister to take his seat as a legislator.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by BondRiv: 11:56am On Jan 29
Minime10:

Did I ever said in my post that the office of the COS is any creation of the Constitution.
Mind you under Section 196 (1) of the Constitution, the Governor has power to appoint anyone to any such office created by him to assist in the running of his administration including the office of COS though not expressly mentioned in the Constitution.
Can you mention one senerio where the President or the Governor of a State pass through any form of protocols before meeting either of the Senate President, Speaker House of Rep or Speaker of State Assemblies?
Now back to our discussion, the Deputy Governor of a State can't even see his boss except the COS gives him/her clearance so to do. That is the reality bro.
The COS is just the behind the scene Governor. 🤓
Like someone said before on this thread, if you are offered any of the two, I bet u, you will sure go for the COS position except you are neophyte .

Ignorance is bliss. Why will I choose to be a staff in the executive branch, when I can be the head of the legislative branch? Brain cells of the corrupt. Perhaps you feel you can loot more in the chief of Staff's office.

In terms of power, the Speaker is more powerful and his office is created by the constitution, like that of the governor.

Get it into your skull that there are protocols in accessing public office holders. You don't just wake up and barge into their office, whether they have a glorified assistant called the Chief of Staff or not.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by TOPMAN4LIFE: 11:56am On Jan 29
Tjra:
Pastor Adeboye of RCCG visited Portharcourt yesterday. He held a rally at the stadium and the number of dignitaries (Fubara, Peter Obi, Tonye Cole, Adeboye, etc.) having chitchats got me thinking aloud.

1. Adeboye: Most Obidients hate him because he didn't opening support their candidate. He has always been non-partisan which is good. His mandate is evangelism not Politics.
Don't mind those online bandits that call themselves obidense.
I saw Peter Obi in the programme on TV who was very happy and was responding well to pastor Adeboye prayers and instructions.
From the programme, l affirmed that pastor Adeboye is not biased against any political party and Peter Obi is a humble man.
But, you see those online bandits, they need hypo to wash their heart and brain filled with bitterness and lack of respect for elders and men of God if not they are attracting curse to themselves

2. Peter Obi: His supporters hate Adeboye yet he came to the programme all the way from Anambra. He sees the man as a Father and is always happy to be around him. What an irony!

3. Fubara: He gave a brief welcome speech. He specially acknowledged the presence of Tonye Cole. He also dedicated his election victory to God. And sort the cooperation of everyone including his opponent in leading the state.

4. Tony Cole: He gave a Testimony and thanksgiving speech. He accepted his fate and he is Happy to work with Tonye Cole to move the state forward.

These big men wine and dine behind closed doors and even in the open. Yet, the impoverished populace keep fighting themselves over ethnic or political affiliations.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Indispensable85(m): 12:02pm On Jan 29
fergie001:

Martins only have a teeth because the Governor has no tooth. Who says a Speaker can't be taken out. We have countless examples, I mean countless in Nigeria. It is because of who Fubara is, we saw it with Obaseki, didn't we? Will the Speaker had done same with Wike?

Nigeria is no utopia, and how many times not just in Nigeria do you hear that a President or Governor fired his Chief of Staff, his closest staff. The man who vets everyone that either wants to come see him or even work for him. The man who takes the hit of the Government, the man who can even kill to protect his Principal.

Only naive players like Jonathan did that and paid for it.

My guy governors unseat speakers because the assembly is dependent on them for funding. They use that to get members on their side to impeach the speaker. I repeat again, if we have autonomy for state assembly and they are in charge of their funds, you'll see how powerful the speaker is. Just let their monies come directly from FAAC and see power display.

Before any small quarrel governor don sieze their money, like Fubara did. That's the only thing the governors are blackmailing them with. An independent assembly can cut the governor to size. I'm telling you bro.
Re: Governor Fubara Appoints Edison Ehie As New Chief Of Staff by Chimela101: 12:02pm On Jan 29
jkpbestseries:
As anticpated, pls Fubara dont be like Goodluck version 2. 0 do ur things and show them the power of a governor
Fubara no get mind of his own, he will still rely on the master

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See What Each State Got As Federal Allocation For February 2016 / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala At Women's World Banking Africa Meeting / DPR Disowns Bashir Ahmad Appointment Letter, Says It's Fake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.