Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics (16255 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Played Under Peseiro / NFF Appoints Jose Peseiro As Super Eagles New Coach / Is Like Mourinho Is Mad - Conte (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by robosky02(m): 3:48pm On Jan 29
Like Mourinho like Peseiro: How Portuguese tactician is silencing his critics

Peseiro has borrowed Mourinho's water-tight defensive approach to take Nigeria to the last 8 of AFCON 2023

José Peseiro is silently proving his doubters wrong with some impressive defensive performance by the Super Eagles

Super Eagles coach José Peseiro is fast becoming a fan favourite after delivering another impressive win for Nigeria at the ongoing African Cup of Nations.

Two goals (one in each half) from Ademola Lookman were enough as the Super Eagles qualified for the quarterfinals at the expense of Cameroon.

Before AFCON commenced, the Super Eagles lost 2-0 to Guinea in their last warm-up match preceding the tournament, leaving Nigerians angry at Peseiro's tactics.

Moreover, the Nigerian team led by José Peseiro failed to win in their last two qualifiers, drawing 1-1 with minors Zimbabwe and Lesotho.

This poor run of form saw many Nigerian football fans calling for Peseiro's sack. Even the NFF said they would have loved to part ways with the Portuguese but couldn't afford to pay him off.

Nigeria began the competition with a 1-1 draw against Equatorial Guinea. This drew criticism from many fans, who expected the Super Eagles to take all three points, especially with the numerous chances the team created.

Peseiro, however, began to impress Nigerians with his tactical prowess during the game against host Ivory Coast.

The Portuguese switched to a defensive approach, with three at the back. This defence-first approach won Nigeria all three points - with captain Troost-Ekong scoring from the penalty spot.

Nigeria defeated Guinea Bissau 1-0 to book a place in the round of 16 against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. Again, Peseiro borrowed a leaf from his compatriot José Mourinho, and the Super Eagles water-tight defence kept another clean sheet in a 2-0 victory.

Mourinho is well-known for his time at Chelsea where a defence-first approach won them the league, losing just four games the entire season. He replicated such feat at Inter Milan, leading the Nerazzurris to a historic treble in 2010.

“I hope you won't hold this against me if I say that I would like to see the Nigerian team, coached by my compatriot José Peseiro, or the Egyptian team, led by Rui Vitória, in that final.

"And I hope that Pedro Gonçalves and his Angola team go as far as possible. None of them will have an easy task, but who knows, maybe the Portuguese will spring a surprise here too,” Mourinho said.

Up Next - Super Eagles face Angola
Nigeria’s next game is against a fluid Angola side that have been outstanding in the competition so far. The oil-rich nation defeated Namibia 3-0 to book a quarterfinal place against the Super Eagles.

It would be an interesting matchup between a defensive-minded Super Eagles side and an Angolan side favouring free-flowing football.

With the attacking firepower in the Super Eagles team, when this side finally clicks, very few teams in world football would be able to stop them.

Will Peseiro deliver Nigeria’s fourth AFCON title? Fingers crossed.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/like-mourinho-like-peseiro-how-portuguese-tactician-is-silencing-his-critics-2024012909411002092

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by JasonScoolari: 3:51pm On Jan 29
Silencing which critique?

This Portuguese fraud is one of the worse coach of the Super Eagles with this Haram style of eyesore football though... Also with Gernot Rohr and Lars Lagerback.

I still prefer an Austin Eguaveon to this guy.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 3:53pm On Jan 29
I don't have any believe in Peseiro until he win us this Afcon. Let's play Angola and play Morrocco or Senegal and check something.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Rich4god(m): 4:17pm On Jan 29
Una don come with this Una talk talk again abi.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by BigDawsNet: 4:18pm On Jan 29
The manager is good tho... one thing I like abt him is dat he maintain his squad whenever he invites the players...

Let just hope we successfully disarm Angola...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Wallade(m): 4:18pm On Jan 29
Even if Paseiro wins AFCON 2024, I still want him sacked. I don't think he is competent

18 Likes

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by ednut1(m): 4:19pm On Jan 29
Till we play Senegal or morroco sha

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by NOwazobia: 4:20pm On Jan 29
Another stupid thread because Nigeria manage to get to quarter final.

With the only outstanding play being the one against Cameroon (an obviously dead team), which was majorly around few players.

No matter how ona wan to whitewash am, the Coaching is poor. undecided

Well, in the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by dauntless15(m): 4:21pm On Jan 29
Until una loose against Angola the hype will stop, yen yen yen because you got lucky against Cameron. undecided

11 Likes

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Oboto700(m): 4:22pm On Jan 29
dauntless15:
Until una loose against Angola the hype will stop, yen yen yen because you got lucky against Cameron. undecided
you no get sense..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by StanleyMentor1: 4:22pm On Jan 29
It's still early for this.
Had it been we were beaten out of the group stage?
This hyping for no be. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by DEBJOCH1(m): 4:23pm On Jan 29
PAASERO, I AM JUST KNOWING HIS NAME NOW, PAASERO KOR, PASUMA NEEE.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Triangles1(m): 4:24pm On Jan 29
Forget, still the same things, the players only motivate themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by dauntless15(m): 4:25pm On Jan 29
Oboto700:
you no get sense..
and you get sense? Mumuni Abdullahi grin

1 Like

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:25pm On Jan 29
Packing 5 players at the back is not exactly tactics to be proud of
Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by KingLion007(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29
I look forward to seeing Mourinho on Friday.. I guess the wife is Angolan

1 Like

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by JasonScoolari: 4:26pm On Jan 29
Oboto700:
see u...if you vex me.. I would deactivate Ur account without you knowing.. just behave Urself
When you can communicate properly, I will take your childish threat serious.

For now, you're a kid

1 Like

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Oboto700(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29
dauntless15:
and you get sense? Mumuni Abdullahi grin
people like u.. always looking for the downfall of this country because ur obi is not the president.. goats

2 Likes

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Oboto700(m): 4:27pm On Jan 29
JasonScoolari:
When you can communicate properly, I will take your childish threat serious.

For now, you're a kid
lol.. seems you don't know me.. get another email ready for another account

1 Like

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by DMerciful(m): 4:28pm On Jan 29
Too early for praising
Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Casham: 4:31pm On Jan 29
Dude! This is just the round of 16. We are not there yet, so stop hailing this man yet. Angola may send us packing. If they don't Congo will be waiting for us in the Semis
Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by dauntless15(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29
Oboto700:
people like u.. always looking for the downfall of this country because ur obi is not the president.. goats
Talking through your arse is something you're known for, I wouldn't dare expect something better from you, a full will always be a fuuuul.

1 Like

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by ProudNigerian01: 4:34pm On Jan 29
Abeg make hin silence them reach final carry the cup o.

Any time you see someone achieve something in life, be thankful to God on their behalf, because God has done much more and can do even more for you.

Matt.20.12 - saying, "These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.'

Get rid of envy and jealousy in your heart. There are poisons that will destroy you.

At some point in your life, you have received a major blessing on a platter that so many people went through a lot just to experience but couldn't.

Rejoice with others and when it gets to your turn, not only will others rejoice with you but heaven will join in.

Rom.12.15 - Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

May God help us all. Amen.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by djoe21(m): 4:35pm On Jan 29
JasonScoolari:
Silencing which critique?

This Portuguese fraud is one of the worse coach of the Super Eagles with this Haram style of eyesore football though... Also with Gernot Rohr and Lars Lagerback.

I still prefer an Austin Eguaveon to this guy.

Please which Austin Equaveon is that? Is there another one or is it the same one that crashed us out of last nations cup and couldn't qualify us for the last world cup?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by JasonScoolari: 4:36pm On Jan 29
djoe21:

Please which Austin Equaveon is that? Is there another one or is it the same one that crashed us out of last nations cup and couldn't qualify us for the last world cup?
Go back and look at Austin's profile as coach with the Super Eagles before you argue blindly.
Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Ironbull: 4:39pm On Jan 29
Not yet time for this let's reach inalienable first.
Re: Like Mourinho Like Peseiro: How Portuguese Tactician Is Silencing His Critics by Samirana360(m): 4:41pm On Jan 29
Naso

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Canada : (1 - 1) U-17 Women's World Cup On Saturday Sept-22-2012 / Confederations Cup: Italy Vs Brazil (2 - 4) On 22nd June 2013 / Asisat Oshoala Wins FA Cup With Arsenal Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.