Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much (64628 Views)

How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Lady Fired While On Her Way To Resume Work For The First Time / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by CoronaVirusPro: 1:49pm On Feb 06
Stupid employer!

Any sane employer always welcomes diversity and what comes with it.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by directonpc(m): 1:50pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:
somebody dey sick, na 'excuse me' u go tell am abi na 'sorry'?
That kind excuse me go get you fired too πŸ˜‚
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by illicit(m): 1:51pm On Feb 06
Mummiesboy:
Na de sorry put her for trouble so
Why are you saying sorry?

Sorry nah

πŸ₯΅
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by geoworldedu: 1:52pm On Feb 06
illicit:
Eeyah

Sorry
watch your back, they are coming for you.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by thesicilian: 1:52pm On Feb 06
cocolacec:

Low self esteem dey worry you.
You don't know what you are talking about. Calling Canadians and Americans British because every where in the world was practically empty until the British came along and forcefully dominated. Where there no natives in Canada, USA territories, before colonization? I'm sure you'd call us British in Africa as well if we were white!

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by obailala(m): 1:53pm On Feb 06
KingDash09:
That’s my education is very important
They teach you how to use pleasantries in certain scenarios
It's just a cultural mannerism which is unique to us as a people; there's really nothing wrong with it, and every culture has its own mannerisms.

The employer who sacked her for that was just being myopic and grumpy. Diversity entails learning and accepting the culture of others.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 1:53pm On Feb 06
lol and just like that you have become a conforming slave...you stay silent and they talk to you like they own you. You can take a stand and speak with confidence to defend your point. You should have said when I say it's okay, it means I've heard you. I come from a different culture and as much as I am willing to learn, you need to understand we will be different and that's okay too. You use it as a haha moment to educate them as well.

Bankowner:
[b][/b]
I fell into this trap twice telling a client "it's okay" which by my own reasoning meant "I have heard you, there isn't any problem. We should stop discussing it" but the client flared "It's not okay". It was a bit of a culture shock, me thinking I finally understand how to relate with the white folks. This days, I listen more and talk less. That way, I am quickly able to process what they're saying before stringing up a response.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by femi4: 1:53pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door
EXCUSE ME where is the door.

In OP case, excuse me won't even work.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Raylight2(m): 1:53pm On Feb 06
mrdharkchild:
RUbbish story, them sack you but no be because of sorry.
Nigerians and showoff.

Take your L and keep to yourself.
No moral lesson here.

Every rascal now want to advise people
She posted it for others to learn. Got anything to show that she's not saying the truth? Anything can happen out there .

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by femi4: 1:55pm On Feb 06
studycenter:
She's just making content
Exactly, pure lies
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by KingDash09(m): 1:55pm On Feb 06
Yeah true
They were probably look for a way to fire her since
obailala:
It's just a cultural mannerism which is unique to us as a people; there's really nothing wrong with it, and every culture has its own mannerisms.

The employer who sacked her for that was just being myopic and grumpy. Diversity entails learning and accepting the culture of others.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by xandy84: 1:56pm On Feb 06
Being too apologetic is seen as a sign of manipulation in western words. Fix the problem and quit apologetic. When my daughter was around 3 years of age, she says sorry for everything. I don't see anything wrong as a Nigerina father, but my wife who is an American get upset each time she say sorry more than once. She will tell to stop saying sorry and not do it again. Care job is a client based, when your actions get on the nerves of your clients, you are done and I can understand when she was fired. Her client is in constant pain and you use words that gets on her nerve. That's double jeopardy.

thesicilian:

First they're not the owners of English, English is owned by people from England, not Canadians or Americans.
Second being too apologetic is never grounds for dismissal from work, no matter how callous the employer might be. So I maintain that she's not telling the whole truth.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Osimhen19: 1:58pm On Feb 06
Chai,this life is funny.too much of everything is not good.i wish I was in canada
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by SoNature(m): 1:58pm On Feb 06
MyExpression:

As a business, saying "Sorry" has legal implications.

Sorry is not politeness, it is viewed as an apology.

Apology is an admittance of fault.

You don't say sorry, if you're not the cause.
There are other ways to show empathy.

Na them get English, na them go teach you the real use.

English is a British language being spoken all over the world with different versions, including the Nigerian version.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Konquest: 1:58pm On Feb 06
Bankowner:

I fell into this trap twice telling a client "it's okay" which by my own reasoning meant "I have heard you, there isn't any problem. We should stop discussing it" but the client flared "It's not okay". It was a bit of a culture shock, me thinking I finally understand how to relate with the white folks. This days, I listen more and talk less. That way, I am quickly able to process what they're saying before stringing up a response.
Succinctly put.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Konquest: 1:59pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:

https://www.legit.ng/people/1574884-i-fired-job-nigerian-lady-moved-canada-opens-up/#:~:text=A%20Nigerian%20lady%20in%20the,not%20the%20case%20in%20Canada.
For years now, I've been correcting some folks as-and-when-due to STOP saying SORRY again and again because in standard English language it's an admittance of GUILT!

Also, NEVER ask about the welfare of a person's family members in the Western world. It is deemed as an INVASION of privacy or personal space. Meanwhile in most African and Asian cultures, asking about the welfare of the family members is traditionally deemed proper. It's all part of international etiquette which regular international travelers have to get used to so as NOT to offend the sensibilities of other's.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by slimmax: 1:59pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door
EXCUSE ME where is the door.

When you use this "EXCUSE ME where is the door πŸšͺ" in nigeria , they will say you are arrogant

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by aribisala0(m): 2:03pm On Feb 06
This is a social class thing in Nigeria
Aje butter versus those people that cook with kerosene and say jangolova
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by blackmantis: 2:04pm On Feb 06
They don't have values anymore.
They hate those who remind them of what they once had.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ADSP116(m): 2:07pm On Feb 06
Like my immediate elder sister told one of her white customers in London,God bless you, for reconsidering her after she came late for an appointment...the white woman was like she should keep her God's blessings to her self that she is blessed already.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by FireUpNow(m): 2:10pm On Feb 06
She nor dey watch tv and read newspapers? Which update she need again make I ask?
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Asswipemod: 2:11pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:

https://www.legit.ng/people/1574884-i-fired-job-nigerian-lady-moved-canada-opens-up/#:~:text=A%20Nigerian%20lady%20in%20the,not%20the%20case%20in%20Canada.

Na she no de hear word naah. Person don call you, tell you make una stop. But normal nija stubbornness no gree am.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by loswhite(m): 2:14pm On Feb 06
mrdharkchild:
RUbbish story, them sack you but no be because of sorry.
Nigerians and showoff.

Take your L and keep to yourself.
No moral lesson here.

Every rascal now want to advise people
Lol Every idiot is an expert....Very annoying
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ObalendeCMS: 2:15pm On Feb 06
I seriously dislike someone telling me sorry unnecesary, especially when I'm not hurting or injured. It irritate me so much.
Any time someone tells me sorry unnecessary, I tell them "sorry for yourself".

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Kurugu92(m): 2:16pm On Feb 06
She must be a Yoruba girl cus in portHarcourt if you cough or sneeze nobody tells you sorry
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by loswhite(m): 2:16pm On Feb 06
MyExpression:

As a business, saying "Sorry" has legal implications.

Sorry is not politeness, it is viewed as an apology.
Apology is an admittance of fault.

You don't say sorry, if you're not the cause.
There are other ways to show empathy.

Na them get English, na them go teach you the real use.
She is a kolo. ....Alot of ppl travel out but it is only Nigerians that you hear all sought of useless stories from

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Konquest: 2:17pm On Feb 06
thesicilian:

First they're not the owners of English, English is owned by people from England, not Canadians or Americans.
Second being too apologetic is never grounds for dismissal from work, no matter how callous the employer might be. So I maintain that she's not telling the whole truth.
The rules of spoken English and English culture etiquette also apply in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States of America.

Many folks from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland migrated to the New World (Canada, U.S.A, Australia, New Zealand in very large numbers majorly in the 1600s to the 1800s in search of better fortunes or to escape religious persecutions, and they took their CULTURAL ETIQUETTE along with them, so, the cultures are quite similar, even right up to Continent European cultures from Germany, Belgium, France, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, etc.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Kobicove(m): 2:17pm On Feb 06
wonlasewonimi:

Nice, so telling the court that she always say sorry means she's not adding value, and to you that's not discriminatory?

The lady was warned to stop saying sorry but she continued...this alone is defence for the company.

Also the fact that she keeps saying sorry could be construed to mean that she is poor at her job and is apologising for her missteps undecided
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by sweetTai(m): 2:17pm On Feb 06
Sorry o madam πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ˜³πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by sircrabo: 2:19pm On Feb 06
Thats not a culture shock anything. The woman is just wicked

Tania, Battle-Ready Policewoman In Abuja Poses With Her Gun (Photos) / Nigerian Man Meets His Former Driver Whom He Encouraged To Get Education (Photos / Man Dressed In White Selling Pure Water In Abuja. Photos