Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much (64625 Views)

How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Lady Fired While On Her Way To Resume Work For The First Time / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by InvertedHammer: 5:16am On Feb 07
godofuck231:
Its a slave and master thing, you say sorry you are guilty, it puts the business at a law case situation, to one its all about being polite to the other its an admittance to guilt
/
She failed to learn the culture.
1) Sorry is a direct admission of guilt and liability.
2) Don't preach to anyone about Jesus--they don't care.
3) Failing to take a break at work is a violation--eye service won't cut it.
4). Frequent tardiness is heavily frowned upon.

..and the list goes on about little things we may take for granted.

/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by godofuck231: 6:48am On Feb 07
Segkem2013:
o

She said sorry because the lady was in pains which any well brought up Nigerian will say the same.
You are right , so in Canada shes a liability
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by NaBanga: 8:01am On Feb 07
studycenter:
She's just making content

Her content is true. Nigerians who come fresh are constantly saying "sorry". It's very nerve wracking and embarrassing.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 2:43pm On Feb 07
Are you claiming you didn't listen prior? You said they did not appreciate you using it's okay. See if you want to shake your head like our folks do to the white people...go ahead. Just don't justify you conforming to the dominant culture when clearly you have an opportunity to explain. Who is telling you not to listen? I have come to realize you are respected more when you can educate and inform...them of where you come from...not just for you, but for the next guy or girl coming on board. I have never seen white people challenged on their poor English lol. Dey Play and continue convincing yourself

Bankowner:
You're getting it all wrong bro. Listening is a good communication skill and you put it to use when you really want to take time to think out your response. It has got nothing to do with slavery. It's even makes sense because you are able to articulate your thoughts and by the time you're responding, it's with empathy and the right response that will de-escalate tense situations.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Bankowner: 4:57am On Feb 08
I am a social service worker oga. I am trained to see the world through different lens and that is what is referred to as worldview. And as a social service worker, your best tool is listening and nodding your head to what a client is telling you. It's called active listening. Verbal and non-verbal cues.
MasterTeeUSA:
Are you claiming you didn't listen prior? You said they did not appreciate you using it's okay. See if you want to shake your head like our folks do to the white people...go ahead. Just don't justify you conforming to the dominant culture when clearly you have an opportunity to explain. Who is telling you not to listen? I have come to realize you are respected more when you can educate and inform...them of where you come from...not just for you, but for the next guy or girl coming on board. I have never seen white people challenged on their poor English lol. Dey Play and continue convincing yourself

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 3:35pm On Feb 08
You are teaching an educator active listening, verbal and non-verbal cues lol. Anyways, listen and shake your head and don't inform, educate and enlighten your clients about differences not being deficient. It is up to you. I know we can be difficult...if I was a white man now, you would listen and understand my point as well Lol.

Bankowner:
I am a social service worker oga. I am trained to see the world through different lens and that is what is referred to as worldview. And as a social service worker, your best tool is listening and nodding your head to what a client is telling you. It's called active listening. Verbal and non-verbal cues.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by studyless123: 3:49pm On Feb 09
MasterTeeUSA:
You are teaching an educator active listening, verbal and non-verbal cues lol. Anyways, listen and shake your head and don't inform, educate and enlighten your clients about differences not being deficient. It is up to you. I know we can be difficult...if I was a white man now, you would listen and understand my point as well Lol.

grin grin grin

You hit the nail on the head. Same individual will accept from the white folks hook, line and sinker. It's one of the reason's while we need more intelligent Nigerians in the US. Independent minded folks who can educate others and engage on superior arguments/ moral suasion. These guys appreciate you more when you can engage them constructively and I never miss any of such opportunities.
One thing I appreciate about most of the white folks I've associated with is that they read a lot. There is no substitute to reading. Books are considered the gateway to the world. It develops imagination, creative ability, increases neurotransmitters & white matter in the brain.
However many of us are consumed by social media, movies and other other mundane activities have weakened our mental prowess & reasoning ability.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 4:58pm On Feb 09
The inferiority complex issue is real...and we don't even understand that we have it. Even if our own people is making a superior argument, we will rubbish it. Here, you will see people insulting one another ...but put them in a room with white folks, they can't open their mouths to argue not to talk of insult...may God help our people. This is why we have failed to progress...put Nigerians in one room, and they cant agree on the way forward...and they will rather rubbish the one that makes the most sense that he thinks he is too intelligent than the rest of us. Someone once told me...if you want your foundation to get noticed in Nigeria, put a white person in it or bring the person to Nigeria. That is how sad we have become my brother.

studyless123:

grin grin grin

You hit the nail on the head. Same individual will accept from the white folks hook, line and sinker. It's one of the reason's while we need more intelligent Nigerians in the US. Independent minded folks who can educate others and engage on superior arguments/ moral suasion. These guys appreciate you more when you can engage them constructively and I never miss any of such opportunities.
One thing I appreciate about most of the white folks I've associated with is that they read a lot. There is no substitute to reading. Books are considered the gateway to the world. It develops imagination, creative ability, increases neurotransmitters & white matter in the brain.
However many of us are consumed by social media, movies and other other mundane activities have weakened our mental prowess & reasoning ability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tania, Battle-Ready Policewoman In Abuja Poses With Her Gun (Photos) / Nigerian Man Meets His Former Driver Whom He Encouraged To Get Education (Photos / Man Dressed In White Selling Pure Water In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.