Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,774 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much (64624 Views)

How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Lady Fired While On Her Way To Resume Work For The First Time / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by The1960writer: 3:20pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door
EXCUSE ME where is the door.

You can't blame some people. Perhaps they're apologising for future offence that may likely be taken by the person being asked 'Sorry, where's the door?'

Have you ever been in scenerios where you ask simple questions like 'Excuse me, where's the door?' and you get responses like:

'Are you blind?! Can't you see it over there?'

'Do I look like a gatekeeper?'

'Abeg bros, check front abeg! No be your own dey do me now.'

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by studyless123: 3:27pm On Feb 06
MasterTeeUSA:
lol and just like that you have become a conforming slave...you stay silent and they talk to you like they own you. You can take a stand and speak with confidence to defend your point. You should have said when I say it's okay, it means I've heard you. I come from a different culture and as much as I am willing to learn, you need to understand we will be different and that's okay too. You use it as a haha moment to educate them as well.

You just made me spill my tee. grin grin grin
Some of us are very timid
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Nice2023(m): 3:29pm On Feb 06
Una wey japa,go and unlearn and relearn how to relate well before they fire u at the airport.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by studyless123: 3:30pm On Feb 06
sukkot:
actually they do. true story. 2 months ago. this gas station on ahmadu bello way victoria island. this white woman pulled up as passenger in a SUV. na so she begin tell everybody say MAKE I NO CHANGE AM FOR YOU OOOO. everybody burst into laughter. it was too funny

grin grin grin
The smart ones adapt very quickly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Maxtipulation(m): 3:36pm On Feb 06
She must be a ...... girl saying sorry to your Oga as if he/she fell down.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Myer(m): 3:41pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door

"Sorry" like most English words has multiple meanings and usage.
"Sorry" can be used instead of "Excuse Me" as attached.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Mandesz(m): 3:42pm On Feb 06
thesicilian:
She's not yet ready to say why they really fired her.
that just the truth, she's not yet ready.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by AncientAlien(m): 3:43pm On Feb 06
okomile:
Wahala for who no go oyibo school

9ja English Vs Canada oyibo

Make we dey chop our agbado peacefully grin
grin grin I guess your husband's moniker should be Obomiwu grin grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by TopNotchTrends(m): 3:44pm On Feb 06
Why is she telling us. Her employer warned. This is why hiw Nigerians are stubborn
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Phabulous4(m): 3:48pm On Feb 06
How about this. We use sorry even when we use the word 'excuse Me'.

Excuse sir, sorry where's the door? 😂

Those words are needed to bring the person you're asking questions into reasonable and calm state of mind to respond to you. Cause everybody is angry, sad, anxious about something. You don't want to be in the receiving end of such mood.

For example,
My church is in an estate and each time I'm going to church, the civil security at gate will normally check my car boot which I calmly obliged, but each time anyone of them ask me to roll down my window and ask me where I'm I going to in the estate, it infuriate like which kain wahala be this, what's this delay for. That kind of thing. Questions get us in agitated or furious. Whatever the questions or who ever is asking. Even to answer a curious kids question is wahala.

superCleanworks:

SORRY, where is the door

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by okomile(f): 3:49pm On Feb 06
JeffArmani234:

Oko e le!!! Even the agbagdo them no see chop🤣😂

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Treasure17(m): 3:51pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:

SORRY, where is the door

In this part of the world, many consider excuse me as being rude.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by studyless123: 3:51pm On Feb 06
Kobicove:

It is grounds for dismissal because if a client sues the business for negligence the fact that a staff said "Sorry" could be tendered in court as evidence that they are guilty as charged!

grin grin grin
Don't be easily carried away by social media stories. It's not uncommon for Youtubers to state false information just to generate comments.
It's not the sorry but other circumstances that lead to her dismissal.
In court, an expression of sympathy or regret by saying sorry is not necessarily considered an admission of legal liability. There must be an admission of fault or responsibility.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by GloriousGbola: 3:53pm On Feb 06
sukkot:
actually they do. true story. 2 months ago. this gas station on ahmadu bello way victoria island. this white woman pulled up as passenger in a SUV. na so she begin tell everybody say MAKE I NO CHANGE AM FOR YOU OOOO. everybody burst into laughter. it was too funny

oyibos that love naija - once they see it is a society where you can live like a king and behave anyhow if you have money

in the 2000s MTN would furlogh SA to nigeria guys as project managers. they were always reluctant to come and unhappy when they started - but by the end of the two years, if MTN sent them back, they would instantly resign and come back to nigeria and set up a company
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by saysoo: 3:57pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:

https://www.legit.ng/people/1574884-i-fired-job-nigerian-lady-moved-canada-opens-up/#:~:text=A%20Nigerian%20lady%20in%20the,not%20the%20case%20in%20Canada.
Slave mentality. In naija you never cared for your old peeps but oyibo, you care and even appologize
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by sukkot: 3:58pm On Feb 06
GloriousGbola:

oyibos that love naija - once they see it is a society where you can live like a king and behave anyhow if you have money

in the 2000s MTN would furlogh SA to nigeria guys as project managers. they were always reluctant to come and unhappy when they started - but by the end of the two years, if MTN sent them back, they would instantly resign and come back to nigeria and set up a company
wow really ? The MTN furlough guys ? True story ? Lmao Nigeria can get addictive. The lawlessness of it gives you a sense of freedom. You are not bound and restricted and constrained by laws and ordinances. You can just do anyhow or setup anything without licenses. It’s good and bad lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Enemyofpeace: 4:06pm On Feb 06
Nigerians sorry o about what you're going through
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Newusername(m): 4:06pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:

SORRY, where is the door

Exactly, I am tired of correcting people especially the so called undergraduates who are supposed to know how to differentiate between the two words and how to use them.

It's so annoying.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Intrepid01(m): 4:10pm On Feb 06
Hmmm I can relate with it as a Canadian resident. For my part- time job, see my exchange with one of my clients:

Client: Hey

Me: Hi, how are you doing? (Not that I really mean to know how’s he’s doing but it’s a form greeting I’ve adopted since I was in pry school as a Nigerian).

Client: Oh I’ve been in pain for the past few days, the pain isn’t going down at all.

Me: Awww I’m so sorry about that. ( genuinely from my heart).

Client: (looking at me shocked), why are you sorry? It’s not your fault, you didn’t put the pain there.

Me: Oh well I’m sorry, I’m just used to that.

Client: Lol, you just did it again

Me: really? I’m sorry

Client: Lol

Relocation is like being born again, it’s a total new life, you’ll need to learn, relearn and unlearn.

I went to a hospital early this morning, Can you imagine no one is even saying good morning to each other? Just a minimum of Hi or Hello. If you dare say good morning, no one answers.

Some of them even look shocked when you say good morning, like I don’t understand that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by sonofsteven: 4:10pm On Feb 06
Chinese don't say sorry neither admit to doing wrong or take corrections

Your employers said you should stop saying sorry,you no hear.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Newusername(m): 4:12pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:
somebody dey sick, na 'excuse me' u go tell am abi na 'sorry'?
Learn when to use the appropriate word.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Newusername(m): 4:14pm On Feb 06
zebszebs:
Now you understand why they insist on IELTS and Nigerians will complain, saying "racism" and "discrimination".
I understand why now. We really need the IELTS exam.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by GloriousGbola: 4:20pm On Feb 06
sukkot:
wow really ? The MTN furlough guys ? True story ? Lmao Nigeria can get addictive. The lawlessness of it gives you a sense of freedom. You are not bound and restricted and constrained by laws and ordinances. You can just do anyhow or setup anything without licenses. It’s good and bad lol

this is the summary. all the shit that can get you in SERIOUS trouble back home can be sorted by small inconsequential bribes
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by sukkot: 4:27pm On Feb 06
GloriousGbola:

this is the summary. all the shit that can get you in SERIOUS trouble back home can be sorted by small inconsequential bribes
yeah bro. Bittersweet pill 💊
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by danthamccoy(m): 4:46pm On Feb 06
mrdharkchild:
RUbbish story, them sack you but no be because of sorry.
Nigerians and showoff.

Take your L and keep to yourself.
No moral lesson here.

Every rascal now want to advise people
Saying she got sacked is showing off? Or you're just mad she's in Canada? Can't stand you extremely jealous and bitter entities.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by skj1377(m): 4:56pm On Feb 06
Ugly thing
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by skj1377(m): 4:57pm On Feb 06
She sacked you for your ugliness
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by t2luv1: 5:03pm On Feb 06
Add this also If you borrowing money from some American and they ask you when you plan to pay back the money and you proceed to say 'By God's grace ....." partner you ain't getting that money. You still praying and divine intervention ain't got nothing to do with money. Just letting you know how Americans see things. Nigerians pray too damn much.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by tivhador: 5:07pm On Feb 06
Dats a complete lie.... Nobody would fire a worker JUST for saying sorry. Sister, tell the people the real reason dem sack u

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Bimpe29: 5:08pm On Feb 06
"Sorry and don't be annoyed" are phrases that doesn't go well with some folks.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by BabaRamota1980: 5:18pm On Feb 06
Patient Sue: Oh Mary, my head is aching again.
Mary: Sorry ma. Let me get your pills. Sorry.
BabaRamota: Sue, have you taken your pills today?

Patient Sue: I am in pains all over.
Mary: Sorry ma. Let me give you massage to help. Sorry. You want me tell doctor? Sorry ma. Sorry o.
BabaRamota: Does it feel like you were run over by a tractor trailer?

Patient Sue: pain is unbearable. I feel like ending it.
Mary: ahh, no ma. Noo. Ahh please, don't end it o. Sorry. It will get better. God will answer our prayers. Sorry.
BabaRamota: Sue, you know, nowadays you have options. There is assisted suicide and is all legal. Discuss it with your doctor and lawyer. You want me call doctor to talk to you about it?

See the BabaRamota response, this is how you interact with your clients. You were lucky thos happened in Canada. If it had happened in US, ontop of sack, you could be sued for harrassment and patient abuse. Watch yasef lady and learn very quickly on your new cultural environment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by mrdharkchild(m): 5:19pm On Feb 06
danthamccoy:

Saying she got sacked is showing off? Or you're just mad she's in Canada? Can't stand you extremely jealous and bitter entities.

Lolz.
Where do you think I am? In Nigeria? I'm in Canada, too.
And I say sorry alot at my work place.

I dey Canada no mean say I go come turn adviser or motivational speaker.

Me n you na d same thing regardless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tania, Battle-Ready Policewoman In Abuja Poses With Her Gun (Photos) / Nigerian Man Meets His Former Driver Whom He Encouraged To Get Education (Photos / Man Dressed In White Selling Pure Water In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.