Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,191 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much (64607 Views)

How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Lady Fired While On Her Way To Resume Work For The First Time / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by mrdharkchild(m): 5:22pm On Feb 06
ExudeLoveToAll:

They sacked her for not paying attention to employers instructions.

Simple.
Working over here is on a per hour basis.
Even if there's nothing to do, you have to look for something to do.

You don't sit there doing nothing.
Same thing goes for the remote jobs.

Theres no play time here.

Unless she got the job through an agent (under an agency) could she be dismissed for clumsy reasons
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ExudeLoveToAll: 5:29pm On Feb 06
mrdharkchild:

Simple.
Working over here is on a per hour basis.
Even if there's nothing to do, you have to look for something to do.

You don't sit there doing nothing.
Same thing goes for the remote jobs.

Theres no play time here.

Unless she got the job through an agent (under an agency) could she be dismissed for clumsy reasons

You are right.

Can I pm you ?
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by superCleanworks(m): 5:30pm On Feb 06
Newusername:

Exactly, I am tired of correcting people especially the so called undergraduates who are supposed to know how to differentiate between the two words and how to use them.

It's so annoying.

the most ANNOYING is the way people say WELLDONE in place of good morning or any other proper greeting. very off putting.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ComeToJesus: 5:32pm On Feb 06
Even Oyibo Coco Melon dey sing "Sorry, excuse me, Sorry excuse, these are the words that you can say🎸🎺"
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 5:39pm On Feb 06
We cant be timid o...I remember seeing all our Nigerian folks naming their children American names...cos Americans cant pronounce Nigerian names. I was livid. Do they change their own names for us, no? I named my daughter my Yoruba name...she wanted to use middle name to help the teachers cos it is in English...I told her...teach them how to pronounce your name...that is your official name. Now, everyone calls her by her name .... OLUWATOSIN. You cannot conform...everyone must meet in the middle. I learn your culture, you learn mine. When we remain timid, we set a precedent for future generations. We can correct without being disrespectful.

studyless123:

You just made me spill my tee. grin grin grin
Some of us are very timid
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by planetx: 5:44pm On Feb 06
wonlasewonimi:
They don't just sack people like that in developed countries.
They can and will fire you at anytime for any reason. Dey play except it's a union job, most jobs in developed countries are at will meaning your black ass can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Blazebond(m): 5:46pm On Feb 06
And now the "mongrel complex" will creep in,you can see the Africans with their low mentality already agreeing that the shit narcissist behavior of the Canadians and whites is okay,black people of africa and nigeria sha, una mumu well o,u clowns are so desperate to shelve your kind,loving and polite culture for those rubbish wretched white peoples culture,it is sad and pathetic.ma inferiority complex go kill una.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by planetx: 5:51pm On Feb 06
You were fired not for saying sorry but because they know there are thousands of desperate immigrants in Canada to replace you. Simple law of demand and supply, same as in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ChengHun(m): 5:59pm On Feb 06
Whereas in Nigeria if you don't say sorry, you lack home training.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Elegantspiker(m): 6:07pm On Feb 06
thesicilian:

First they're not the owners of English, English is owned by people from England, not Canadians or Americans.
Second being too apologetic is never grounds for dismissal from work, no matter how callous the employer might be. So I maintain that she's not telling the whole truth.
You are just trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Cape Coast in South Africa all speak English as a native language. Secondly, was it not another Nigerian that was sacked in England for praying for a patient.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MamaletASO: 6:13pm On Feb 06
Nonsense!

Since you don't speak correct English, then u will be fired.

An average Nigerian that wanted to sit beside you will say...

Sorry I want to sit down

Instead of

"Excuse me, can I sit with you?"

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Orinechi: 6:24pm On Feb 06
This one too dey Canada.Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by JayPeeOham: 6:35pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door
EXCUSE ME where is the door.

In addition, I also learnt that SORRY is only used when one is at fault or the cause but if otherwise simply say Take care, be careful or take it easy!
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Newusername(m): 6:55pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:

the most ANNOYING is the way people say WELLDONE in place of good morning or any other proper greeting. very off putting.
Swrs. grin so frustrating.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by fortunechy(m): 7:26pm On Feb 06
As long as u are not deported. U will find another new job.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Equity15(m): 7:26pm On Feb 06
The1960writer:

You can't blame some people. Perhaps they're apologising for future offence that may likely be taken by the person being asked 'Sorry, where's the door?'

Have you ever been in scenerios where you ask simple questions like 'Excuse me, where's the door?' and you get responses like:

'Are you blind?! Can't you see it over there?'

'Do I look like a gatekeeper?'

'Abeg bros, check front abeg! No be your own dey do me now.'
lmao..nigerians ehn
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:31pm On Feb 06
Don't be sorry, be helpful grin
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by emperor4love(m): 7:38pm On Feb 06
ogaontop:

She's a social care worker dealing with vulnerable people and you never can tell the physical, emotional or mental circumstances of her employer, any slightest thing can make them yank someone off!!
If the employer forbids sorry, why repeating it and complain of being sacked?
that's it,the keep warning u,nd one keep repeating and some are saying shit here,how many time will she b corrected

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by studyless123: 7:44pm On Feb 06
MasterTeeUSA:
We cant be timid o...I remember seeing all our Nigerian folks naming their children American names...cos Americans cant pronounce Nigerian names. I was livid. Do they change their own names for us, no? I named my daughter my Yoruba name...she wanted to use middle name to help the teachers cos it is in English...I told her...teach them how to pronounce your name...that is your official name. Now, everyone calls her by her name .... OLUWATOSIN. You cannot conform...everyone must meet in the middle. I learn your culture, you learn mine. When we remain timid, we set a precedent for future generations. We can correct without being disrespectful.

It's a lost battle. Colonization have left many of us with ethnic and cultural inferiority. Many Nigerians don't have intellectual perseverance/courage and so they easily give in to be seen as adaptable. Unfortunately we can't help the situation. Like the example you gave, I know individuals who gave themselves and English names for ease of pronunciation grin.
Ironically I promoted my Nigerian name and taught them how to pronounce it, they're always excited, teaching them the missing English sounds and making a recording of my name so that they can have it on their cell phones. When I was an executive of Black affinity groups. I also fought for diversity and inclusion. Anywhere I go I teach and promote my culture and refer them to resources where they can get more information.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by emanobis(m): 7:55pm On Feb 06
It's not about unlearning and relearning...
May be you missed that while in school
Sorry is an apology...u only say sorry for sumtin u directly did wrong, we r fond of saying sorry even to an accident victim or someone who lost a loved one.
The best u can say is ... it's a pity, take heart, be strong , you will be fine

In d western world, you only say sorry when u did sumtin wrong or when u r at fault...even if u r accused of being at fault by ur friend, lover, partner, jst say sorry...dnt argue like 9ja women
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by ericmor: 7:59pm On Feb 06
Bankowner:
[b][/b]
I fell into this trap twice telling a client "it's okay" which by my own reasoning meant "I have heard you, there isn't any problem. We should stop discussing it" but the client flared "It's not okay". It was a bit of a culture shock, me thinking I finally understand how to relate with the white folks. This days, I listen more and talk less. That way, I am quickly able to process what they're saying before stringing up a response.

I had a lot of issues with some of my colleagues way back in my university days with that it's ok thing. You know you are wrong and you need to put things right and u will be telling me it's ok instead of doing the right thing.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Ikem11(m): 8:18pm On Feb 06
thesicilian:

First they're not the owners of English, English is owned by people from England, not Canadians or Americans.
Second being too apologetic is never grounds for dismissal from work, no matter how callous the employer might be. So I maintain that she's not telling the whole truth.
It seems you never been out of naija . You don't say sorry. It cost me a lot before when I was new. The lady is quite correct in what she said ...it happened to me
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Clinghton: 8:41pm On Feb 06
You were called to order, she was sacked as a result of ignoring orders.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MrJames007: 8:46pm On Feb 06
godofuck231:
Its a slave and master thing, you say sorry you are guilty, it puts the business at a law case situation, to one its all about being polite to the other its an admittance to guilt

MyExpression:

As a business, saying "Sorry" has legal implications.

Sorry is not politeness, it is viewed as an apology.
Apology is an admittance of fault.

You don't say sorry, if you're not the cause.
There are other ways to show empathy.

Na them get English, na them go teach you the real use.
shocked cool cool
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by MasterTeeUSA: 9:00pm On Feb 06
My Man...just for this.. I have followed you. Both of my children have Nigerian Names...like why would I need to adapt to you? The clothes I wear to work is what I will wear in Nigeria...even when my students had their Senior Party, I went in my Agbada...that is not to say we should not adapt, but we must not lose ourselves in the process. My students ask about Nigeria every time, because they know I travel to my beloved country...I have done my best to break so many stereotype. That is what we should do...enlighten, inform and educate cos really, they can be ignorant.

studyless123:

It's a lost battle. Colonization have left many of us with ethnic and cultural inferiority. Many Nigerians don't have intellectual perseverance/courage and so they easily give in to be seen as adaptable. Unfortunately we can't help the situation. Like the example you gave, I know individuals who gave themselves and English names for ease of pronunciation grin.
Ironically I promoted my Nigerian name and taught them how to pronounce it, they're always excited, teaching them the missing English sounds and making a recording of my name so that they can have it on their cell phones. When I was an executive of Black affinity groups. I also fought for diversity and inclusion. Anywhere I go I teach and promote my culture and refer them to resources where they can get more information.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Majesty7: 9:13pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:
Many Nigerians are used to saying SORRY instead of EXCUSE ME and that can lead to a whole lot of unwarranted "SORRY" especially in an office with high verbal communication rate.

SORRY, where is the door

the most ANNOYING is the way people say WELLDONE in place of good morning or any other proper greeting. very off putting. Welldone say wetin I do?

I really don't notice that. I don't think it is a culture thing. Which dialect says sorry instead of excuse me? Why say sorry when you never committed any offense? It is just lack of communication skill. I know of; "please". Most Nigerians uses that but, "sorry"? That is not a Nigerian thing but for half baked humans.
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Benrosaria(m): 10:02pm On Feb 06
Cause you fucking keep making mistakes. You should have learnt to correct all your mistakes before leaving for the outside world. They hate mistakes.

If you don't learn to fix issues without mistakes then you aren't ready to live
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Offpoint1: 10:08pm On Feb 06
Kingzjayzee:
somebody dey sick, na 'excuse me' u go tell am abi na 'sorry'?
No mind them...

98% of oyibo get mental problem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by symbianDON(m): 10:47pm On Feb 06
superCleanworks:

SORRY, where is the door

the most ANNOYING is the way people say WELLDONE in place of good morning or any other proper greeting. very off putting. Welldone say wetin I do?

well done o
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Onionstew: 1:28am On Feb 07
mrdharkchild:
RUbbish story, them sack you but no be because of sorry.
Nigerians and showoff.

Take your L and keep to yourself.
No moral lesson here.

Every rascal now want to advise people

Oga relax...

In my case, when i say "sorry" what i get is "oh its ok"
Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Bankowner: 3:36am On Feb 07
You're getting it all wrong bro. Listening is a good communication skill and you put it to use when you really want to take time to think out your response. It has got nothing to do with slavery. It's even makes sense because you are able to articulate your thoughts and by the time you're responding, it's with empathy and the right response that will de-escalate tense situations.
MasterTeeUSA:
lol and just like that you have become a conforming slave...you stay silent and they talk to you like they own you. You can take a stand and speak with confidence to defend your point. You should have said when I say it's okay, it means I've heard you. I come from a different culture and as much as I am willing to learn, you need to understand we will be different and that's okay too. You use it as a haha moment to educate them as well.

Re: Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much by Poloyanabo2(m): 4:51am On Feb 07
thesicilian:

Yeah
Same thing happened in Africa. And India. They're all populated by the same people living in England
No, Africa and India is populated by indigenous people, i don't know what's making you say this, it's misinformation.

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, America 🇺🇸 and even South America, are countries where the colonial masters choosed to live permanently without going back to Europe,. Same thing happened in South Africa, the Afrikaans are descendants of Dutch colonial masters who refused to go back to Europe and settled permanently in South Africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman That Manufactures Hand Brake Manually in Nnewi (photos) / Tania, Battle-Ready Policewoman In Abuja Poses With Her Gun (Photos) / Nigerian Man Meets His Former Driver Whom He Encouraged To Get Education (Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.