Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,038 members, 7,828,643 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos (18256 Views)

Queues Resurface As Tinubu Announces Fuel Subsidy Removal / Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos, Marketers Blame Depots / Petrol Queues Resurface In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 1:41pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

Fuel is N40 in Iran that has been under Western Sanctions for close to 40 years.

Maybe you should readjust your statement to mean fuel was never cheap in Nigeria and not "fuel was never cheap"

1.Iran is not an African country

2.Also iran...maintaining the subsidy has given them a very humongous debt.

3.Iran subsides : 100 billion dollars. Our budget : 20 billion dollars, (in a year).

4.Any questions?

5.Also iran: 9million liters of petrol smuggled a day out of Iran to be sold at 'cheaper prices'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by madridguy(m): 2:18pm On Feb 06
Ask yourself, how come people from osun, ondo, ekiti are not running to Anambra?

How come people from Abia, Imo, Ebonyi, Enugu are not running to Anambra? Why always Lagos?

Jeyun:
why only Lagos? is Ondo, ekiti, Ogun, osun, oyo state not part of the obodo oyibo? Oh I forgot federal capital miss those places reasons people in those states are still running to Lagos like their ibo canter part.

Just like tinubu who ran all the way from iragbeji to survive in Lagos, same as MC oluomo who ran away from Kwara because of hunger to survive in Lagos.

Lagos must be the obodo oyibo of those people I swear
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by finallybusy: 2:52pm On Feb 06
Has the price dropped? Queues exist when people can afford the product. If fuel is as expensive as everyone claims, stations should have more than enough pumps to service customers. Everyone else will walk.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by IVORY2009(m): 2:57pm On Feb 06
madridguy:
Ask yourself, how come people from osun, ondo, ekiti are not running to Anambra?

How come people from Abia, Imo, Ebonyi, Enugu are not running to Anambra? Why always Lagos?

Because Lagos is the former federal capital territory, and a land of opportunities,no man's land too.

It's just like Abuja of today, some tribe would come claiming Abuja as theirs tomorrow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Spybradd: 3:06pm On Feb 06
madridguy:

This Mallam will be er face his arid region..quit acting like you have any love for the west,we have seen some of your posts on here.. people like you and that shortigboman are only interested in causing hatred and division among the south..you will hate for the south to unite.. but don't worry,tinubu may not do much but he will surely put you northerners in check and in your place ..you think say tinubu send any mallam 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 3:06pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

I have argued with him on several occasions that subsidy is not really our problem but the culture of stealing and profligacy in our political environment.

More money made available in Nigeria means more money available to steal and not necessarily more money for development as long as stealing is not curtailed.
Subsidy has been removed supposedly for over six months but Nigeria has gone from bad to worse despite the argument for "making more money available". Subsidy has been removed but Nigeria is still borrowing upon borrowing to the point we now even borrow with crude oil upfront.

Look at the 2024 budget, it reeks of profligacy because there is more money. Almost all the line items are inflated and many others absolutely unnecessary because there is more money supposedly because of subsidy removal.

Nigeria government has spent more than enough money in Turn Around Maintenance (TAM) of our refineries in the last 20 years, money enough to build new 4 refineries but the refineries they did the turn around maintenance are still not working till date. So anybody that believe removing subsidy with build hospital, build roads and other blahblahblah is just being delusional as subsidy does not stop government from doing any of those things if they really want to do them.
It is true that subsidy removal will make more money available for government expenditure and it is good. But Tinubu and Buhari has proven to us that subsidy is not really our problem as most government apologists make it seem. Tinubu has grounded this country despite subsidy removal and stealing has spiked after. Again he's still amassing loans...

SO many problems with this your comment, and why I don't enjoy discussing with you guys...after you will start by saying that I support corrupt leaders, and am blind to corruption.

Okay where to start

1.A lot of the corruption in the subsidy regime has a lot to do with the fact that whether they are productive or not, there would be looting and stealing....because subsidy means money would come in regardless.

Tell me, why won't there be stealing.

Remove subsidy, and the result is NNPC would be forced to work for its money. That would mean every TAM, every refinery would work...because if they do not, NNPC won't effing see any money at all. ANd government is no longer paying subsidy.

2. A lot of you misunderstand my comment about subsidy freeing up money for the government. You all assume that I am saying that if subsidy is removed, we would all be prosperous, and have enough cash.

Well, I have news for you....we need to do more than remove subsidy, we need to fight corruption, widen our tax base, raise our tax to gdp, diversify our economy (read my comments, diversification is a big thing I harp on) and eventually become an exproter of manufactured goods and services.

If we do the above, we would be prosperous.

3.The truth is subsidy is one of the factors why we have a massive debt. We pay subsides at the begining of the year. If oil prices shoot up, that means subsidy costs go up. How do we get more money...taking more loans.

4.Both you and the guy you are responding to think I am a government supporter. I am not, I have read all I can about subsidy since 2011, and what I have read scares me.

So, you see my point.

I am not responding to your comments again. EIther you are blind, or you think that supporting subsidy removal means supporting oppression. NO, it means supporting us not being in severe effing debt.

Good afternoon.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Jeyun: 3:09pm On Feb 06
madridguy:

for you to have ask this question is an indication that you haven't cross owo road in ibadan to any other parts of Nigeria.

I wonder how you managed to know that ekiti, Ogun,osun, Ondo and oyo people are running to Lagos when you haven't even Cross Berger let alone entering Lagos

You don't even know onitsha has lot of market that accommodate Nigerians of all sorts?

After Lagos which other city do you think is the most densely populated?

Just look at the kind of person am exchanging words with.

I can't believe am belittling myself this low to this village boy.

1 Like

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by ReubenE(m): 3:58pm On Feb 06
nairalanda1:

SO many problems with this your comment, and why I don't enjoy discussing with you guys...after you will start by saying that I support corrupt leaders, and am blind to corruption.

Okay where to start

1.A lot of the corruption in the subsidy regime has a lot to do with the fact that whether they are productive or not, there would be looting and stealing....because subsidy means money would come in regardless.

Tell me, why won't there be stealing.

Remove subsidy, and the result is NNPC would be forced to work for its money. That would mean every TAM, every refinery would work...because if they do not, NNPC won't effing see any money at all. ANd government is no longer paying subsidy.

2. A lot of you misunderstand my comment about subsidy freeing up money for the government. You all assume that I am saying that if subsidy is removed, we would all be prosperous, and have enough cash.

Well, I have news for you....we need to do more than remove subsidy, we need to fight corruption, widen our tax base, raise our tax to gdp, diversify our economy (read my comments, diversification is a big thing I harp on) and eventually become an exproter of manufactured goods and services.

If we do the above, we would be prosperous.

3.The truth is subsidy is one of the factors why we have a massive debt. We pay subsides at the begining of the year. If oil prices shoot up, that means subsidy costs go up. How do we get more money...taking more loans.

4.Both you and the guy you are responding to think I am a government supporter. I am not, I have read all I can about subsidy since 2011, and what I have read scares me.

So, you see my point.

I am not responding to your comments again. EIther you are blind, or you think that supporting subsidy removal means supporting oppression. NO, it means supporting us not being in severe effing debt.

Good afternoon.
Don't act sanctimonious man. Nobody said you are supporting corrupt people even though in times past, you've made it difficult not to say so.

Good afternoon
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by G00dharddick: 4:02pm On Feb 06
Agboriotejoye:

GEJ is not better than Tinubu. GEJ is was very incompetent and indecisive. GEJ benefitted from working with people like Iweala and Sanusi but as a president, he was fvcking incompetent

The joke is on you. Tell your Tinubu to take the country back to the days of incompetent GEJ abeg.

Tinubu is the worst president Nigeria has ever had - Arewa

3 Likes

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by ReubenE(m): 4:08pm On Feb 06
nairalanda1:

1.Iran is not an African country

2.Also iran...maintaining the subsidy has given them a very humongous debt.

3.Iran subsides : 100 billion dollars. Our budget : 20 billion dollars, (in a year).

4.Any questions?

5.Also iran: 9million liters of petrol smuggled a day out of Iran to be sold at 'cheaper prices'.

Fuel in Angola and Libya is less than N50. Angola and Libya are in Africa not Europe.
Your opening submission was not about African countries even though that might have been your intent. You said "fuel is never cheap"

I will choose to ignore your point 2 to 5 as you are just making excuses. Again, Iran has been under Western Sanctions for close to 40 years.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:09pm On Feb 06
G00dharddick:

The joke is on you. Tell your Tinubu to take the country back to the days of incompetent GEJ abeg.

Tinubu is the worst president Nigeria has ever had - Arewa
Doesn't matter
GEJ was not a good president
A President who had girls kidnapped from their schools and he kept mum for almost two weeks! Haba!! Tribalism will kill this country
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by sweerychick(f): 4:09pm On Feb 06
madridguy:
This is why we are better than other party in Nigeria. We the APC and BATist are complaining which is normal for Mr president to know we are not happy.

Guess what, Lagos will forever be obodo oyinbo to your people as they will continue to run here till eternity.

I can bet with my ancestors that you spilling out this thrash haven't eaten since morning
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by PrinceGallant: 4:15pm On Feb 06
aderadio1:
This is obviously the one that will break the camels back.

If the news was true, the camel would be dead this time, not breaking the back at all

1 Like

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by sweerychick(f): 4:20pm On Feb 06
Jeyun:
for you to have ask this question is an indication that you haven't cross owo road in ibadan to any other parts of Nigeria.

I wonder how you managed to know that ekiti, Ogun,osun, Ondo and oyo people are running to Lagos when you haven't even Cross Berger let alone entering Lagos

You don't even know onitsha has lot of market that accommodate Nigerians of all sorts?

After Lagos which other city do you think is the most densely populated?

Just look at the kind of person am exchanging words with.

I can't believe am belittling myself this low to this village boy.
Most Tinubu supporters are primitive folks. They feel that life begins and ends in the SW. They are least exposed that's why Tinubu is taking a very big advantage of them because of their lack of exposure. If Tinubu tells them that Kim jong Un is the President of Germany they'll believe it without argument. Even the educated ones . That's why during my youth service in the SW we were 2986 in camp more than 80% of the youth corpers were SW indigenes.. no exposure no nothing. That's why they whole heartedly voted for a Monumental failure called Buhari that dragged Nigeria to the stonage..
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by grandstar(m): 4:27pm On Feb 06
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by grandstar(m): 4:30pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

Fuel is N40 in Iran that has been under Western Sanctions for close to 40 years.

Maybe you should readjust your statement to mean fuel was never cheap in Nigeria and not "fuel was never cheap"

Iran is badly run

$1-42,037.50 Iranian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Iran

1 Like

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by shortIGBOman: 4:35pm On Feb 06
Spybradd:

This Mallam will be er face his arid region..quit acting like you have any love for the west,we have seen some of your posts on here.. people like you and that shortigboman are only interested in causing hatred and division among the south..you will hate for the south to unite.. but don't worry,tinubu may not do much but he will surely put you northerners in check and in your place ..you think say tinubu send any mallam 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Na only Ijaw alone go finish una. The moment North remove our hands from una matter. Last year, Igbo People nearly finish una for Lagos.. if not for North wey defend una grin grin

Time dey come, we go suprise una.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by haffaze777(m): 4:45pm On Feb 06
shortIGBOman:

Na only Ijaw alone go finish una. The moment North remove our hands from una matter. Last year, Igbo People nearly finish una for Lagos.. if not for North wey defend una grin grin

Time dey come, we go suprise una.

North defend us? Are you high on cow dung?North join with Igbo can't do neither to us.if you think otherwise join Igbo to do anyhow.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:49pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

I have argued with him on several occasions that subsidy is not really our problem but the culture of stealing and profligacy in our political environment.

More money made available in Nigeria means more money available to steal and not necessarily more money for development as long as stealing is not curtailed.
Subsidy has been removed supposedly for over six months but Nigeria has gone from bad to worse despite the argument for "making more money available". Subsidy has been removed but Nigeria is still borrowing upon borrowing to the point we now even borrow with crude oil upfront.

Look at the 2024 budget, it reeks of profligacy because there is more money. Almost all the line items are inflated and many others absolutely unnecessary because there is more money supposedly because of subsidy removal.

Nigeria government has spent more than enough money in Turn Around Maintenance (TAM) of our refineries in the last 20 years, money enough to build new 4 refineries but the refineries they did the turn around maintenance are still not working till date. So anybody that believe removing subsidy with build hospital, build roads and other blahblahblah is just being delusional as subsidy does not stop government from doing any of those things if they really want to do them.
It is true that subsidy removal will make more money available for government expenditure and it is good. But Tinubu and Buhari has proven to us that subsidy is not really our problem as most government apologists make it seem. Tinubu has grounded this country despite subsidy removal and stealing has spiked after. Again he's still amassing loans...
It's all propaganda and conditioning. Do you know how many times the "benefits" of subsidy removal have changed from mouth to mouth?

First it was subsidy removal will bring investment into the country especially in the oil and gas sector.

Then it became subsidy removal will give us enough money to build badly needed infrastructure like roads, rails, schools, hospitals etc

Then came subsidy removal will curb corruption on our govt expenditure

The most ridiculous I heard from the corn man himself is that subsidy is the reason our refineries stopped working. I mean you must see Nigerians as special kind of stupid to say that.

The fact is subsidy has become a fundamental bloc of our economy. It stands on higher or equal footing with say naira value.

So I have steadfastly believe that since it was govt of its own choosing that brought us to this pass where our economic fundamentals was subsidy, it behoves on govt to find a way to steer us out of it. Subsidy is not a bad tooth that needs to be removed with little finesse but a lot of anaesthetic.

No.

Subsidy removal demands deep thinking and solutions that ensures the country is better off for it. The dude labeled me a communist for that practical stand borne out of reality.

One thing I'm happy for is that we got a president who was finally allowed to remove subsidy the way people like him have been clamouring for and we have seen the result.

The country is depressed right now! Anywhere you go, it is lamentations and wailing regardless of tribe or religion. Hunger and deprivation does not know any tribe or religion. After all, Muslims in MINNA and KANO are the first to protest.

The fact that fuel is still being sold at N600 today is a stark admission of the failure of subsidy removal.

The fact that WB has twice come out to berate the govt on the state of economy which is due to the same subsidy removal they've been recommending shows that the idea is a totally bad one and folks like me who were labeled communists were right all along.

It's not about economic concepts or principles. It's about the fact the fuel subsidy is an interval part of our economy and demands intelligent solution than just removal to get rid of. And anyone who tells you the removal will bring anything positive is simply living in a fools paradise just as you've said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by shortIGBOman: 4:54pm On Feb 06
haffaze777:

North defend us? Are you high on cow dung?North join with Igbo can't do neither to us.if you think otherwise join Igbo to do anyhow.

Dey make mouth. We are all living witness here when Igbo People nearly drove all of una from Lagos last year. The North had to stop them. If not, na Igbo for get Lagos by now.

But you wey be online warrior must make mouth. It is how una dey usually operate. But next time, we go allow Igbo show una pepper grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:54pm On Feb 06
grandstar:

https://www.nairaland.com/7992020/only-11-states-generate-enough
Oh. That was referring to IGR. The report is a whitewash. The report is talking of how many states can pay salaries without federal allocation when the constitution that creates the states asks that they be run based on federal allocation.
Let's not kid ourselves. Our revenue generating profile among our states is not balanced. It is skewed towards Lagos and Abuja on a massive scale.
You pay VAT towards the centre mostly from Lagos. Lagos collects wharf landing fees from ports for goods going to the hinterland while most industries cited in Lagos pay tax to Lagos for goods they produced which will be consumed elsewhere. It's not the fault of Lagos though. But to use igr as a means of measuring the performance of states is something I find terribly fraudulent. Even the British recognised the fraud during colonial times and had to devise a means of ensuring equity
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by grandstar(m): 5:00pm On Feb 06
Agboriotejoye:

Oh. That was referring to IGR. The report is a whitewash. The report is talking of how many states can pay salaries without federal allocation when the constitution that creates the states asks that they be run based on federal allocation.
Let's not kid ourselves. Our revenue generating profile among our states is not balanced. It is skewed towards Lagos and Abuja on a massive scale.
You pay VAT towards the centre mostly from Lagos. Lagos collects wharf landing fees from ports for goods going to the hinterland while most industries cited in Lagos pay tax to Lagos for goods they produced which will be consumed elsewhere. It's not the fault of Lagos though. But to use igr as a means of measuring the performance of states is something I find terribly fraudulent. Even the British recognised the fraud during colonial times and had to devise a means of ensuring equity

You're correct
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by haffaze777(m): 5:09pm On Feb 06
shortIGBOman:

Dey make mouth. We are all living witness here when Igbo People nearly drove all of una from Lagos last year. The North had to stop them. If not, na Igbo for get Lagos by now.

But you wey be online warrior must make mouth. It is how una dey usually operate. But next time, we go allow Igbo show una pepper grin grin grin cheesy

I say make you join them pursue us for Lagos nowgrin

Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by G00dharddick: 5:14pm On Feb 06
Agboriotejoye:

Doesn't matter
GEJ was not a good president
A President who had girls kidnapped from their schools and he kept mum for almost two weeks! Haba!! Tribalism will kill this country

And Tinubu the clueless man has a wonderful administration? No kidnapping going on? Things are cheap under Tinubu right? The joke is on you 🤡
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 5:22pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

Fuel in Angola and Libya is less than N50. Angola and Libya are in Africa not Europe.
Your opening submission was not about African countries even though that might have been your intent. You said "fuel is never cheap"

I will choose to ignore your point 2 to 5 as you are just making excuses. Again, Iran has been under Western Sanctions for close to 40 years.

Libya: Prdouces same amount of oil as we do.for 8 million people..thus more income per capita and thus more money for subsides ( imagine if all our oil money went to Bayelsa for a idea). And a fuel smuggling issue so bad, they've had to call in the army and the air force. Yes, bombings.

Angola: Has 40 million people, a bad economy and lots.of corruption and a massive smuggling fuel issue.Also plans to scrap subsides next year and did a partial removal last year. And fuel is over 300.naira not 50.naira.

You may want us not to go.that way, comrade Ivanov
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by shortIGBOman: 5:25pm On Feb 06
haffaze777:

I say make you join them pursue us for Lagos nowgrin

Is that too much to ask?

That one na small thing to us. We didn't in Ilorin before, we fit do am for Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo and Ogun in a week.

Make I ask you,who is the ruler of Ilorin? grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 5:27pm On Feb 06
ReubenE:

Don't act sanctimonious man. Nobody said you are supporting corrupt people even though in times past, you've made it difficult not to say so.

Good afternoon

I don't think you want to believe.

Good evening
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:34pm On Feb 06
G00dharddick:

And Tinubu the clueless man has a wonderful administration? No kidnapping going on? Things are cheap under Tinubu right? The joke is on you 🤡
Tinubu's administration is bad nor doubt. But don't come here and cover GEJ in roses. He was not a good leader
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by haffaze777(m): 5:46pm On Feb 06
shortIGBOman:

That one na small thing to us. We didn't in Ilorin before, we fit do am for Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo and Ogun in a week.

Make I ask you,who is the ruler of Ilorin? grin grin grin grin grin

Do it in all above listed state. Your question nah dolapo dey rule Ilorin.

Are you people protesting today because of Tilimbu? grin

Who dey make your people protest?
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by shortIGBOman: 6:05pm On Feb 06
haffaze777:

You dey shame to respond to my question? Who dey rule una for Ilorin? grin
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by shortIGBOman: 6:06pm On Feb 06
haffaze777:

Na we put Tinubu for Asso Rock and if we want remove am, we fit do am any second. Either via coup or otherwise. Tinubu know this, that's why he dey careful.
Re: Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos by haffaze777(m): 6:08pm On Feb 06
shortIGBOman:

You dey shame to respond to my question? Who dey rule una for Ilorin? grin

Maybe you should read the comment you quote wellgrin

No worry tilumbu go just allow make bandit wipe out 10 state from North before 2027grin

Please don't stay for North oooo because Tilumbu get plan oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Uduaghan Renames Stadium After Keshi, Showers Gifts On Eagles / Femi Fani-kayode Blames Grace Mugabe For Her Husband Robert's Political Woes / 'Treating PDP As A Pushover Is Dangerous' - Yahaya Bello Warns APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.