Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

hh - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / hh (11281 Views)

hh / hh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: hh by aribisala0(m): 4:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again, our democracy was created with this agreement established from the beginning within these groups and so it was built on this. In much the same way our democracy includes Sharia and all it's ills. Calling it nonsense now, or pretending that the people voting negates all that does not change that. If you want to change things, you do not come out, when it hurts you, to cry in public that it is wrong. You go to the root of the issue and tackle it from there.

I don't know what you mean by fake agitators and all that nonsense really, but according to INEC, there are at least 30 political parties in that country. If replacing PDP is what you think is an issue, in this democracy, then I suggest you probably want to consult INEC and the individual parties. However, [b]the PDP had an in-party agreement which the current president ignored, and this resulted in the violence  [/b]as promised prior to the election, by the groups he supposedly went against.

You have gone off topic!

i am not sure about the veracity or logicality of this claim. an obvious post ergo propter hoc fallacy.
what is a fact is that there was violence and this appeared related to jonathan's victory buhari's loss. one may argue that the latter and the former are one and the same. maybe.
but buhari was not a PDP member and so one must fault the logic of assuming that
1. if buhari was up against a NORTHERN candidate from the PDP there would have been no violence
2. if a northern PDP candidate had been presented and LOST to a southern CPC candidate there would have been no violence.
these are rather momentous assumptions which are implicit in the claim as bolded above.
we don't have evidence for this and for me the more obvious and logical conclusion is that violence was perpetrated by buhari supporters for whom a non northern president is anathema zoning or no zoning.
Re: hh by yommysomguy(m): 4:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
I feel sorry for Mr. President
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 4:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

i am not sure about the veracity or logicality of this claim. an obvious post ergo propter hoc fallacy.
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/obasanjo-says-zoning-still-alive-jonathan-campaign-faces-grim-reality-possible-loss

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nigeriaplus.com%2Fsoutheast-and-the-new-pdp-zoning-formula%2F&ei=S566TsK_OcP00gH6w8DXCQ&usg=AFQjCNFquduGEJC3Ixlo0z6KhDZKM1aO_g&sig2=Kt0QSAQ2NV9Z2hFS3k7lqQ

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5713333-146/story.csp

aribisala0:

what is a fact is that there was violence and this appeared related to jonathan's victory buhari's loss. one may argue that the latter and the former are one and the same. maybe.
That is no fact. That is just you manufacturing truths out of thin air. You mean the violence of October 1st of last year, the many bombings that followed that, and continued up until the election were also as a result of Jonathan winning and others loosing the election in April? Gosh!!!

aribisala0:

but buhari was not a PDP member and so one must fault the logic of assuming that
1. if buhari was up against a NORTHERN candidate from the PDP there would have been no violence
2. if a northern PDP candidate had been presented and LOST to a southern CPC candidate there would have been no violence.
these are rather momentous assumptions which are implicit in the claim as bolded above.
we don't have evidence for this and for me the more obvious and logical conclusion is that violence was perpetrated by buhari supporters for whom a non northern president is anathema zoning or no zoning.

One question, What the f***k has Buhari to do with this discussion or any other on this issue?

I hate arguing ridiculous ifs especially when we are already dealing with the consequence of what we all allowed happen. Please focus on the topic here.
Re: hh by Nayah(f): 4:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
maclatunji:

Nayah, if it makes you happy, I like your contradiction. In fact, Nigeria's problems 'were caused by me' when I failed to see that you have a very wonderful understanding of Nigerian politics and people. LOL

YEAH that's what I though also grin grin grin
Re: hh by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Nov 09, 2011
I wonder what the next report on Nigeria from the United States will tell us,
Re: hh by aribisala0(m): 4:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/obasanjo-says-zoning-still-alive-jonathan-campaign-faces-grim-reality-possible-loss

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nigeriaplus.com%2Fsoutheast-and-the-new-pdp-zoning-formula%2F&ei=S566TsK_OcP00gH6w8DXCQ&usg=AFQjCNFquduGEJC3Ixlo0z6KhDZKM1aO_g&sig2=Kt0QSAQ2NV9Z2hFS3k7lqQ

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5713333-146/story.csp

One question, What the f***k has Buhari to do with this discussion or any other on this issue?

I hate arguing ridiculous ifs especially when we are already dealing with the consequence of what we all allowed happen. Please focus on the topic here.
you claim tham violence was the result of jonathan's reneging on an agreement
i am linking the violence to the fact that buhar's supporters were unhappy with his loss. the link is not that convoluted.we saw images of violence on the internet with some perpetrators carrying photos of buhari. it is an opinion like several others in the market
swearing does not add any value. it is unnecessary and uncouth. i am quite focussed .thank you, are you. i don't think my point is ridiculous at all. if you do not agree with me that is fine i certainly don't agree with your analysis that violence occured because of an internal PDP affair.
Re: hh by Demdem(m): 4:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nayah asked:

Which President in Nigeria has never experienced Insecurity in his land?

Alhaji responded:

[b]yes there are problem but THOSE PRESIDENTS FOUND A SOLUTION TO IT IN THERE VARIOUS WAYS
do you know anything about Nigeria at all ?
Ok I would start from our first democratic president OBJ Obasanjo
he had a problem with MEND which were the militants in the ND region of Nigeria, He tried talking but fell to deaf ears
although they started there bombing near the end of his tenure
when the bombing started, OBJ as a former military man sent the military to stop MEND. WHICH STOPPED thus problem solved. Also Lagos had OPC issue which OBJ arrested Gani Adams for about 2 years and OPC redueced greatly. In fact OPC does not bomb or kill
next was Yaradua, during Yaradua, MEND came back because Yaradua was more of a civilian
Yaradua first of all reduced the fuel prices from 85 N to 65 N
then  introduced Amnesty, which the Militant took and stopped the bombing, only for Yaradua to die and they started again duing Jonthan's era 2010
Now Mend is still threatening to blow Nigerian up and now a new found evil has now compounded the Issue, BOKO HARAM
Mr president is relaxed about it when compared to the other 2
Even duing Nigerians independeance, MEND killed 20 Nigerians in the place where MR was enjoying his view, Yet MEND still lives on. Boko haram even worse[/b]

Nayah, you can see from the above that Alhaji did responded to ur million dollar question however you probably ignored it.
Leaders will always encounter challenges and any leader who isnt expecting such isnt fit to be one. The Retardeen telling us during the elections that he has no one to fight suggests to me that he from day 1 doesnt know the gravity of what he was contesting for.

I for one isnt blaming the retardeen 100% for putting us in this state of insecurity we all are presently experiencing however my grouse with him is how he is tackling all these. Nothing seems to be going on and it seems as if these criminals are getting bolder by the day. the govt seems to be barking (since oct 1 2010 bomb blast) but they simply cant bite. The rertardeen simply dont have the guts criminous OBJ had that will be needed now to stop this menance. O yes i dont need an holy and good man to govern a nation like Nigeria.

I am sure if an average Nigerian has all the security and intelligent info currently available to the retardeen to reduce these crimes solutions wont be far however the question is does the retardeen has the guts and balls to make the neccessary decision so as to stop the killing of innocent lives. Jos is still pending, remember that.

The other day, my dumb president told us that they know the sponsors of Boko haram that includes a former H.O.S (that was after he asked us not to panic since terrorists attacks happen everywhere), the question now is what has he done so far about the so called intelligence.

Insecurity will always abound in this wretched world of ours even after the end of the retardeen's rule however how its being handled by various subsequent govts will suggest those that have something upstairs or not.

So far, the retardeen is failing and considering his antecedents especially from his bayelsa years, the man is just being himself. No shaking.
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

you claim tham violence was the result of jonathan's reneging on an agreement
i am linking the violence to the fact that buhar's supporters were unhappy with his loss. the link is not that convoluted.we saw images of violence on the internet with some perpetrators carrying photos of buhari. it is an opinion like several others in the market
swearing does not add any value. it is unnecessary and uncouth. i am quite focussed .thank you, are you. i don't think my point is ridiculous at all. if you do not agree with me that is fine i certainly don't agree with your analysis that violence occured because of an internal PDP affair.

You cannot LINK arbitrary issues together just because. Yes, we were PROMISED the violence, should Jonathan run for presidency, and even more should he win. Were you asleep in the months leading to the Election in April or something?

Nowhere did I claim all the violence to be as a result of his presidency, however it would be dishonest to deny the relationship. There was a lull in violence when Yar adua died. Then the threats started up again, when there were rumours that Jonathan would run for Government -- since then, it has been all hell from these goons. I think it is hard to deny the possible connections between the promised threats and what we see today.

This has NOTHING to do with Buhari, or Ribadu, or any of the 14 other candidates on the ballot this part April. The violence started back in 2010 -- one could posit that it escalated when Jonathan declared he would definitely run for Presidency, and have gotten more and more frequent since then. There are 1000's of bodies to show for this.

Yes, Zoning is an internal PDP agreement which was turned into a national issue by the current president. You may not like it but the WHOLE NATION got involved in the Zoning debate in 2010. Zoning is not part of our constitution BUT  it is part of the PDP agreement as confirmed over and over now, by PDP Big Cahoonas!
Re: hh by Reggie2(m): 4:59pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again, our democracy was created with this agreement established from the beginning within these groups and so it was built on this. In much the same way our democracy includes Sharia and all it's ills. Calling it nonsense now, or pretending that the people voting negates all that does not change that. If you want to change things, you do not come out, when it hurts you, to cry in public that it is wrong. You go to the root of the issue and tackle it from there.

I don't know what you mean by fake agitators and all that nonsense really, but according to INEC, there are at least 30 political parties in that country. If replacing PDP is what you think is an issue, in this democracy, then I suggest you probably want to consult INEC and the individual parties. However, the PDP had an in-party agreement which the current president ignored, and this resulted in the violence  as promised prior to the election, by the groups he supposedly went against.

This was never about all of Nigeria from the beginning. Jonathan himself battled the decision to run for months before he decided to burden the country with this. We need to stop injecting all of Nigeria into these party issues, even when it concerns persons from our own ethnicity. You are calling for others to disconnect from this, yet you unknowingly engage in the very same, as far as I see it.

You have gone off topic!

I thought that this topic had to do with Jonathan's election causing insecurity in Nigeria.
Re: hh by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
people are talking rubbish here, there is no way GEJ is not problem
those violent dogs has been poisoned their minds with inferior ideas
due to high rate of their illiteracy surrounding them angry angry angry >:
some top officials from northern believe this country belongs to them along
ediots dem angry angry
anybody believing GEJ disobey PDP need to crosscheck his /her brain by a well equipped and qualified doctor from USA.
Hausa people has dominated the government for long!!!!!
the only achievements we had was either crisis from here or there
stoooooooopid set of people
believe me, they will hardly smell the position again
Re: hh by PointB: 5:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

You are dead wrong. Our democracy is build on a supposedly Nigerian constitution and of course, the people's mandate through ballot boxes. If anyone argues that the last elections were rigged, then the fellow must also convince us that previous ones were not. These fake agitators on Niaraland have not told us which other political party will replace pdp or are they saying that pdp will only be accepted if a northern candidate ascends to power?  They are full of contradictions and give others a glimpse of their fake love for one Nigeria.
It is in the headlines now that over a hundred Nigerians have been murdered in the north. How can someone who sucked from his/her mother's bosoms say that Jonathan is responsible because he stole the people's mandate through the ballot.
When a war breaks out tomorrow, the likes of alj_harem will write a best seller on A STOLEN NORTHERN MANDATE. Please direct your anger to northern leaders who have impoverished the people by not sending them to School. The irony of the whole situation is that they have made them to believe that going to School is EVIL. The last time I checked, they were receiving educationally backward allowance and no one bombed anyone. Oil money go kill ndi ara!    

Very well said. I wonder why people will blame GEJ for the Boko Haram problem when they very well know that the systematic denial of quality education to their people by the Northern elites indirectly responsible. What were they thinking? They these army of loafers will not turn around around and become a torn in their flesh?

At any rate, it has become a national problem which we will strive to solve, but when blames are to be shared the index finger should be direct higher and northward!

Re: hh by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
That zoning idea is undemocratic to me. People should be allowed to elect their president from whatever region.I think there is tribalism attached to that zoning concept.
Re: hh by Nayah(f): 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
Demdem:

Nayah asked:

Which President in Nigeria has never experienced Insecurity in his land?

Alhaji responded:

[b]yes there are problem but THOSE PRESIDENTS FOUND A SOLUTION TO IT IN THERE VARIOUS WAYS
do you know anything about Nigeria at all ?
Ok I would start from our first democratic president OBJ Obasanjo
he had a problem with MEND which were the militants in the ND region of Nigeria, He tried talking but fell to deaf ears
although they started there bombing near the end of his tenure
when the bombing started, OBJ as a former military man sent the military to stop MEND. WHICH STOPPED thus problem solved. Also Lagos had OPC issue which OBJ arrested Gani Adams for about 2 years and OPC redueced greatly. In fact OPC does not bomb or kill
next was Yaradua, during Yaradua, MEND came back because Yaradua was more of a civilian
Yaradua first of all reduced the fuel prices from 85 N to 65 N
then  introduced Amnesty, which the Militant took and stopped the bombing, only for Yaradua to die and they started again duing Jonthan's era 2010
Now Mend is still threatening to blow Nigerian up and now a new found evil has now compounded the Issue, BOKO HARAM
Mr president is relaxed about it when compared to the other 2
Even duing Nigerians independeance, MEND killed 20 Nigerians in the place where MR was enjoying his view, Yet MEND still lives on. Boko haram even worse[/b]

Nayah, you can see from the above that Alhaji did responded to your million dollar question however you probably ignored it.
Leaders will always encounter challenges and any leader who isnt expecting such isnt fit to be one. The Retardeen telling us during the elections that he has no one to fight suggests to me that he from day 1 doesnt know the gravity of what he was contesting for.

I for one isnt blaming the retardeen 100% for putting us in this state of insecurity we all are presently experiencing however my grouse with him is how he is tackling all these. Nothing seems to be going on and it seems as if these criminals are getting bolder by the day. the govt seems to be barking (since oct 1 2010 bomb blast) but they simply cant bite. The rertardeen simply dont have the guts criminous OBJ had that will be needed now to stop this menance. O yes i dont need an holy and good man to govern a nation like Nigeria.

I am sure if an average Nigerian has all the security and intelligent info currently available to the retardeen to reduce these crimes solutions wont be far however the question is does the retardeen has the guts and balls to make the neccessary decision so as to stop the killing of innocent lives. Jos is still pending, remember that.

The other day, my dumb president told us that they know the sponsors of Boko haram that includes a former H.O.S (that was after he asked us not to panic since terrorists attacks happen everywhere), the question now is what has he done so far about the so called intelligence.

Insecurity will always abound in this wretched world of ours even after the end of the retardeen's rule however how its being handled by various subsequent govts will suggest those that have something upstairs or not.

So far, the retardeen is failing and considering his antecedents especially from his bayelsa years, the man is just being himself. No shaking.

Many thanks demdem for having giving me some points about the trouble, now do you think is it fair to jugge someone with jst one year as a Head of office, who inherit of a certain social tensions and if it's so do you think another President will do better in such conditions and within the same period, 1 year?
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
all4naija:

That zoning idea is undemocratic to me. People should be allowed to elect their president from whatever region.I think there is tribalism attached to that zoning concept.

[size=15pt]duh!!![/size]
Re: hh by Basseti: 5:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
PointB:

At any rate, it has become a national problem which we will strive to solve, but when blames are to be shared the index finger should be direct higher and northward!

That statement is precisely why I cant really understand some train of thoughts here.

One claims that we should not drag internal party politics into a national conversation and I scratch my head in amazement. Obviously whateva happened within the confines of the PDP boardroom is affecting the whole country now. So it has become a national issue.
Re: hh by aribisala0(m): 5:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You cannot LINK arbitrary issues together just because. Yes, we were PROMISED the violence, should Jonathan run for presidency, and even more should he win. Were you asleep in the months leading to the Election in April or something?

This has NOTHING to do with Buhari, or Ribadu, or any of the 14 other candidates on the ballot this part April. The violence started back in 2010 -- one could posit that it escalated when Jonathan declared he would definitely run for Presidency, and have gotten more and more frequent since then. There are 1000's of bodies to show for this.

Yes, Zoning is an internal PDP agreement which was turned into a national issue by the current president. You may not like it but the WHOLE NATION got involved in the Zoning debate in 2010. Zoning is not part of our constitution BUT  it is part of the PDP agreement as confirmed over and over now, by PDP Big Cahoonas!
and YOU are judge and jury of what constitutes arbitrary linkages. there has been violence in Nigeria before i was born any delineation of a starting point for violence is ARBITRARY
the bottomline is that we do NOT agree on this issue.  my point was to put it on record that there is a different perspective.
i believe in doing so without being gratuitously abrasive. asking if i was asleep is rude and offensive. learn some manners
Re: hh by Demdem(m): 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nayah:

Many thanks demdem for having giving me some points about the trouble, now do you think is it fair to jugge someone with jst one year as a Head of office, who inherit of a certain social tensions and if it's so do you think another President will do better in such conditions and within the same period, 1 year?

First and foremost, its good to apprreciate the fact that the Retardeen has been in power for well over a year now and i strongly feel that not only is it fair but just in the case of the Retardeen.
This guy cant claim ignorance about our security challenges and workings of govt even before he became president becos he was vice president for years. Before then he was a governor of a state.

So far all what i for one is doing is assessing him and that why from my last post i ended with this:

In addition, the beginning of a thing many times suggest how the end will be. GEJ has started weak and i expect it to be so throughout his tenure because not only is he naturally weak but his antecedents also says so however time will tell and i pray he proves me wrong (deep inside me i know its impossible)

Of cos, a well focus president will definately have a straight bearing withing the time frame GEJ has been in power now. not expecting a complete eradication of the challenges within that time frame but with serious work we all will see progress and work being done.
Nigerians arent asking for too much and we all arents saying GEJ should end this menace NOW NOW NOW, what we all are saying is we want to see work in progress which isnt too much to ask.
Re: hh by publisher(m): 5:26pm On Nov 09, 2011
[size=15pt]You know,if Buhari was a member of the PDP,then this US group's analysis would have made more sense. They can then argue that the zoning isssue affected Buhari directly,thus his supporters (Boko haram) went haywire making Nigeria ungovernable.

PDP initiated the zoning formular,same PDP jettisoned the zoning formular and opted for GEJ. GEJ won in south-south,south East,south west and the bulk of the middle belt. That's already 70% of Nigeria. If the remaining aggrieved 30% have opted for Boko haram solution,lets see how they'll smell the presidency in 2015. The old hausa ruling cabal just need to come to terms with the fact that Nigeria's power structure has been diluted amongst all its ethnic groups,no ethnic group has monopoly over power or violence(thanks to Obj). And the sad fact is that 70% of BH's victims till date have been muslim northerners.

The middle belt has totally divorced itself from the Hausa/Fulani cabal and Jos is paying the price for it. However,if they've not conquered Plateau state by now,certainly they can never conquer the rest of Nigeria.

As it were,i doubt if any Hausa man will ever win any free and fair election in Nigeria,without some major compromises.

For someone as favoured as GEJ ,dont be surprised if all this Boko Haram crisis ends up favouring GEJ on the long run. Dont ask me how tongue[/size]
Re: hh by Akiika: 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
We suddenly give credence and attention to anything that has the tag "US", who tha, F (excuse my french) is this agency to make such flagrant statement? , as much as i agree that GEJ has no clue on how to rule Nigeria and infact was rigged in, his elec-fraud didn't cause the insecurity. The culprits are the Northern politicians that assumed power is their birth right. If Buhari had the chance and opportunity, he would've rigged himself in too and he wouldn't be any better than GEJ. His cabinet would've been filled with illiterates to standard six graduate as ministers. Then the terrorism will be from Niger-Deltan militants NOT Boko Haram.
Re: hh by aljharem3: 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nayah:

You see, so Nayah how long has GEJ been the president of Nigeria ?

GEJ has used 2 Years in Office now, with February 2012 making it a complete 2 years

Yaradua used just 2 years to solve those problems before he died

anyway, you looking pretty always kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: hh by Gbawe: 5:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But our democracy was built ON this agreement within the parties.  Yes, it makes nonsense of Democracy, in much the same way that I believe Sharia does, but guess what? It is our reality and we need to accept what we have allowed. So, if you want to argue for democracy, then you I think denying the case we have here does not help.  For pete's sake, we allowed this to go on for almost 12 years prior to Jonathan's bid for presidency.

The assertions made in the article are close to factual. Zoning was in place before the Jonathan showed up to the scene. He and Obasanjo conveniently chose to deny the existence of the agreement within the parties so they could get their way, a fact that was confirmed when right after the elections(as soon as it was clear that all was not well) when Obasanjo confessed that it was infact true that such agreement existed and would henceforth be adhered to.

Well said kobo. Like I always say, only children talk and act without considering the repercussion of what they say and do. When we Nigerians never have a say in the "agreements" and oaths our leaders govern us with, why should we now be passionately in support of one set of "killers" throwing the kitchen Sink at another or vice versa? Everybody conveniently forgets that those who pleaded with the trio of GEJ, OBJ and Anenih , to consider the implications of their action on the peace and stability of Nigeria, included individuals from all walks of Nigeria and founding fathers of a Party that officially recognises zoning.

We all forget there is honour even amongst thieves. If one set of thieves (all useless in my opinion) are using Boko Haram to fight other "treacherous" and "ungentlemanly" thieves (useless also) , then I really don't care to take sides if only they will all attack each other directly and leave ordinary Nigerians out of their sick powerplay. Part of being a good politician involves having sense of foresight and knowing when not to heat up the polity with reckless actions. These born to rule folks have their own 'rules of engagement'. This is why GEJ cannot act despite telling us they know the sponsors of Boko Haram to include a former head of State. Mr. President knows that what we are seeing has the tacit endorsement of virtually all the prominent members of the PDP who are bitter at how OBJ hijacked, with treachery, an arrangement he had benefitted from. Some Nairalander can shout bigot till blue in the face. We know their silly game. Going by their logic, Ken Nnamani, Chukwuma Soludo , and even those from GEJ's region , who warned of the consequences of "treachery", are bigots also.  

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/zoning-don%e2%80%99t-push-us-to-the-wall-violence-may-be-inevitable-atiku-warns/

Zoning: Don’t push us to the wall, Violence may be inevitable -Atiku warns
On December 15, 2010 · In News

By Henry Umoru
A Presidential aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar Wednesday warned that if the leadership of the Party and that of the country jettison the already existing zoning arrangement, it would amount to making violence change inevitable.

Speaking Wednesday at National Stakeholders’ Conference, 2010 at the Thisday Dome, Abuja, the former Vice President who noted that he was not praying that the political situation of the party and that of the country should get to the level of applying violent means to address the nation’s problems, also stressed that if the PDP fails to embrace reforms, it stands the risk of making itself irrelevant.

Meanwhile, Former Senate President, Iyorchia Ayu has called on Nigerians especially those from the South to put behind them those eras in the 1960s which produced coups and counter coups in the country, just as northerners became Heads of State during the periods.

According to Ayu, “North is not set out to dominate anybody. I want you to ignore the Nigerian history of 60’s that produced coups and counter coups with its leaders as northerners. It was not conspiratorial on the part of the Northern political leaders, it was accidental.

“When we had opportunity we, not only brought out President Obasanjo who was in prison for treason out, but the north made him President even when his immediate community rejected him. It was the highest show of solidarity by the North. The least our brothers from the south can do is to demonstrate and reciprocate the goodwill.”

Ayu who admitted that the task ahead them is ensuring that the Consensus Candidate for the north, Atiku Abubakar gets the party’s ticket as well as become the President of the country come next year, said, “we are trying to tell you that we have difficult task ahead of us. If you are not present here today, the consensus effort would have been a failure. But with your presence here today, Atiku ceases to be the Northern Consensus Candidate but the Consensus Candidate of Nigeria.”

The Conference which had as its theme, “Building Consensus for National Unity”, was convened by the Northern Political Leaders Forum, NPLF, the Igbo Political Forum, the Yoruba Redemption group and the South South Unity Forum.

Speaking further, Atiku said, “Our coming here is not about Atiku, it is about the peace, the unity and stability of Nigeria as exemplified by all the speakers who spoke to this audience today. Today is about building consensus for national unity. We have some elder statesmen on consensus building. It is about the rule of law, due process and standing for what is right.

“I am an instrument for realizing these value. I promise that by the grace of almighty God, we shall bring this country back to the part of honour. Before I end this short address let me send a message to our great party the PDP: if the PDP does not reform, it stands the risk of making itself irrelevant. Let me again send another message to the leadership of PDP that those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.”

Also in his remarks, former Senate President Ken Nnamani who warned that some leaders of the country were planning to put national unity to the burner, stressed that rotation and zoning which has become part of the nation’s history, was beyond the north, the PDP, adding that it has become a national challenge.

Nnamani who noted that Nigeria has a lot to learn from the process that brought out Atiku Abubakar, stressed that it showed high sense of humility and patriotism, just as he said that if the choice was from some parts of the country, there would have been series of court litigations now, adding that zoning must be adhered to against the backdrop that all political office holders were beneficiary of same process.

The former Senate President who called for the externalization of the Consensus candidate process, also called on Nigerians to disregard comments by the President General of Ohanenze Ndigbo, Ralph Uwachue, adding that as a country, we lack political will to implement agreements, adding that some politicians were over heating the polity for their gains, even as he said that there was tension in PDP because of plans to circumvent the rules.

Roll call

General Ibrahim Babangida, General Mohammed Aliyu Gusua, Atiku Abubakar, Former Chairman, Police Affairs Commission, Chief Simon Okeke, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu; Lawal Kaita; AVM Hamza Abdullahi; Deputy Governor of Kwara State, Ajia Chinyere Ogugua Agagbo; Funke Adedoyin; Professor Babalola Borishade; Alhaji Isa Ozi Salami, Professor A.T. Abubakar, Professor Sam Oyovbaire; Lawal Batagarawa; Saleh Hassan; Haruna Adamu and Saleh Hassan.

Others were former Deputy governor of Kogi, Patrick Adaba, Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali, Farouk Bibi Farouk; Udenta Udenta; Professor Chukwuma Soludo, Professor Osita Ogbu; Mrs Titi Ajanaku, Chief Peter Biakpana; Oyewale Fashawe; Hassan Mohammed; Aboki Shuluwa; Saleh Jambo; Dr. Sam Egwu, Professor Chinwe Obaje, Professor A.B.C Nwosu; Kalu Idika Kalu; Ibrahim Kazuare; Senator Yushua Anka, Senator Hamman Bello, Dubem Onyia, Representative of Israeli Ambassador, among others.
Re: hh by Nayah(f): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
alj_harem:

You see, so Nayah how long has GEJ been the president of Nigeria ?

GEJ has used 2 Years in Office now, with February 2012 making it a complete 2 years

Yaradua used just 2 years to solve those problems before he died

anyway, you looking pretty always kiss kiss kiss kiss

Alj haram now tell me about YARADUA, there were no insecurity in Nigeria? hope you kidding my brother, I 've been already in this World and aware so you can't tell me YARADUA "solve" problems cause JOS has been the theatre of a lot of crimes and massacre during his rulling, give me a reason not to think you're tribalistic? because sincerly I think you're not very objective my dear

Then thanks, I still look like a Kanuri like you've said? lol  grin
Re: hh by aljharem3: 5:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nayah:

Alj haram now tell me about YARADUA, there were no insecurity in Nigeria? hope you kidding my brother, I 've been already in this World and aware so you can't tell me YARADUA "solve" problems cause JOS has been the theatre of a lot of crimes and massacre during his rulling, give me a reason not to think you're tribalistic? because sincerly I think you're not very objective my dear

Then thanks, I still look like a Kanuri like you've said? lol  grin

Please remain me of the problem in Jos smiley I must to tell you that the Jos crisis has been bad but not as bad as it got before the election.

Tell me of an Massacre that happened during Yaradua's era ? I can't think of any

Yeah my Kanuri princess kiss kiss kiss kiss wink
Re: hh by stiyke(m): 5:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
Why did it take this US organisation so long to say this. And why did Obama congratulate GEJ on winning the election??

The TRUTH is that like you and I, GEJ has every right to be the president of this nation. Comming to think of it, aside Boko Haram, i dont think GEJ is doing bad, especially compared to the past ones, i think he is doing very OK.
The problem is that GEJ is trying to transform Nigerian Gov. to have a human face and deal humanely with issues, while detractors are trying to do the most inhumane act to delegit his government.

At least i for once am seeing a FG that shows more care for its citizens, with out much discrimination.
GEJ will succeed! The sooner you get it into your head the better.
Re: hh by Gbawe: 6:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
stiyke:

Why did it take this US organisation so long to say this. And why did Obama congratulate GEJ on winning the election??

The TRUTH is that like you and I, GEJ has every right to be the president of this nation. Comming to think of it, aside Boko Haram, i dont think GEJ is doing bad, especially compared to the past ones, i think he is doing very OK.
The problem is that GEJ is trying to transform Nigerian Gov. to have a human face and deal humanely with issues, while detractors are trying to do the most inhumane act to delegit his government.

At least i for once am seeing a FG that shows more care for its citizens, [/b]with out much discrimination.
GEJ will succeed! The sooner you get it into your head the better.

What are you talking about ? Fuel subsidy, affecting the masses, as a way to raise money while fat salaries ,unecessary waste and profligacy amongst the ruling elite is left unchecked ? A beyond-words callousness that saw 120 or 170 (the largest delegation in CHOGM history ) attend a jamboree in Australia shows a Government that "cares for its citizen" You tell me that kind of wicked nature that would allow such waste when Nigerians are suffering !!!! Na wa OOO .

http://allafrica.com/stories/201111020264.html

[b]Chop Government Money Meeting - CHOGM

With the largest delegation ever to grace CHOGM in its history, (120 and counting); how do you know one fedora hat wearer from another?
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

and YOU are judge and jury of what constitutes arbitrary linkages. there has been violence in Nigeria before i was born any delineation of a starting point for violence is ARBITRARY
the bottomline is that we do NOT agree on this issue.  my point was to put it on record that there is a different perspective.
i believe in doing so without being gratuitously abrasive. asking if i was asleep is rude and offensive. learn some manners

I didn't make myself judge on what can be connected and what cannot,as it is obvious when a connection exists and when does not, especially when the information avaiable to us makes the obvious.

We remain the engineers of our own downfall as we HELP/AID these politicians in destroying the country when we continue to swallow up the nonsense they push our way, without analytically and critically disecting the events before us(NO NEED TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES OR ANY OF THAT JUNK THAT MANY OF US HAVE MADE OURSELVES MASTERS AT DOING). The Nigerian situation has become an open book that even the most unintelligent in the lowest out there can easily decode.

This situation has nothing to do with agreeing or not agreeing. We only need to consult the facts you and I have been made privy to in the past one year or more. Even the revelations on the zoning became public during that same period. It is not hidden from you so consult information --- read it/research it to know what is going on.
Re: hh by PointB: 6:37pm On Nov 09, 2011
publisher:

[size=15pt]You know,if Buhari was a member of the PDP,then this US group's analysis would have made more sense. They can then argue that the zoning isssue affected Buhari directly,thus his supporters (Boko haram) went haywire making Nigeria ungovernable.

PDP initiated the zoning formular,same PDP jettisoned the zoning formular and opted for GEJ. GEJ won in south-south,south East,south west and the bulk of the middle belt. That's already 70% of Nigeria. If the remaining aggrieved 30% have opted for Boko haram solution,lets see how they'll smell the presidency in 2015. The old hausa ruling cabal just need to come to terms with the fact that Nigeria's power structure has been diluted amongst all its ethnic groups,no ethnic group has monopoly over power or violence(thanks to Obj). And the sad fact is that 70% of BH's victims till date have been muslim northerners.

The middle belt has totally divorced itself from the Hausa/Fulani cabal and Jos is paying the price for it. However,if they've not conquered Plateau state by now,certainly they can never conquer the rest of Nigeria.

As it were,i doubt if any Hausa man will ever win any free and fair election in Nigeria,without some major compromises.

For someone as favoured as GEJ ,dont be surprised if all this Boko Haram crisis ends up favouring GEJ on the long run. Dont ask me how tongue[/size]

Those who have ears, let them hear!
Re: hh by aljharem3: 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
PointB:

Those who have ears, let them hear!

abeg comot for here angry

if the same is done the other way around, u would start screaming like a puppy
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
Akiika:

We suddenly give credence and attention to anything that has the tag "US", who tha, F (excuse my french) is this agency to make such flagrant statement? , as much as i agree that GEJ has no clue on how to rule Nigeria and infact was rigged in, his elec-fraud didn't cause the insecurity. The culprits are the Northern politicians that assumed power is their birth right. If Buhari had the chance and opportunity, he would've rigged himself in too and he wouldn't be any better than GEJ. His cabinet would've been filled with illiterates to standard six graduate as ministers. Then the terrorism will be from Niger-Deltan militants NOT Boko Haram.

The US is simply echoing what ought to be obvious to any Nigerian, or being, out there who has been following the political events of the past 2 years.

Isn't it a tad dishonest  to blame the North for the resulting consequence of Jonathan's actions? I mean he was warned by the miscreants, who are today killing politicians, and non-politicians in the North. So far, we know that politicians have been targeted even in the north.  Imagine a situation where MEND warns that the installation of a Northerner as minister of, say petroleum, would result in violence, and the president does it anyway, do youblame the South South for the resulting violence? Let us be more analytic and think critically about these problems at this point.

The Federal Government has investigated(claims it has and continues to) the many claims that the Northern politicians are to blame for the violence and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN INDICTED. Isn't it time you quit being misled by the rumour mill, and visit reality?
Re: hh by aribisala0(m): 7:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I didn't make myself judge on what can be connected and what cannot,as it is obvious when a connection exists and when does not, especially when the information avaiable to us makes the obvious.

We remain the engineers of our own downfall as we continue to HELP/AID these politicians in destroying the country when we continue to swallow up the nonsense they push our way without analytically and critically disecting the events before us(NO NEED TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES OR ANY OF THAT JUNK THAT MANY OF US HAVE MADE OURSELVES MASTERS AT DOING). The Nigerian situation has become an open book that even the most unintelligent in the lowest out there can easily decode.

This situation has nothing to do with agreeing or not agreeing. We only need to consult the facts you and I have been made privy to in the past one year or more. Even the revelations on the zoning became public during that same period. It is not hidden from you so consult information --- read it/research it to know what is going on.
i am really struggling to decipher your windy verbiage.  don't tell me to read or research. you can patronize your villagers that way. not me
i assume you and everyone else has done so. frankly you really are arrogant and obnoxious but from what i can see of your contributions you have precious little to be arrogant about.  you are not nearly as smart as you think you are
Re: hh by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

i am really struggling to decipher your  windy verbiage.  don't tell me to read or research. you can patronize your villagers that way. not me
i assume you and everyone else has done so. frankly you really are arrogant and obnoxious but from what i can see of your contributions you have precious little to be arrogant about.  you are not nearly as smart as you think you are

I was not patronizing you. The fact that you questioned the statement I made on Zoning, made it all but too clear that you have not done your research since this was a hot issue for almost a year running on to the election.

Attacking my person ain't gonna remove from the fact that many of the claims you make have not been established in any of the reports we have on these issues to date. I don't need to think myself smart  . . . . I simply responded to your questions/claims and if you think you need to attack me in order to make your point, then I suggest you understand that I am not your problem.
Re: hh by asha80(m): 7:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
i wonder if jonathan will last for 4 years with the way things are moving.

however i like the way things are moving.it will help open up some salient issues about nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sheriff Shuts PDP Youths Out Of Convention As They Cry Foul / Caption Atiku Wrist Is It A Charm Or A Designer Bracelet? / PDP Condemns Attack On Wada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.