Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,192 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

There's Is Life Outside Work - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / There's Is Life Outside Work (12152 Views)

Flour Mills Workers Stage Protest Outside The Company Seeking A Increased Salary / Lady Caught On CCTV Dancing Outside Her New Place Of Work After Getting A Job / Why Is Life So Unfair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by franchasofficia: 9:53am On Feb 29
I can see reasons to this.

Nice topic
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Ofunaofu: 9:58am On Feb 29
Life after work is more important than work life

2 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Nice2023(m): 9:58am On Feb 29
That is why I hate my job and I don't see myself doing this job continuously.

Hamachi:
There is life outside Work.

We appeal to employers of labor to understand that there is life outside the office. Encourage employees to go home early and when due to be with their families, staying late in the office frequently has consequences on the family circle.

During exigency working late is understandable but making it mandatory that employees should work late or stay in the office as long as they are in the office is not the best practice.

I was once in this situation during my early career days, I was asked to stay back till the MD left, He finally left at 10:15 pm. I went home by commercial transport and ended up in one chance, everything I had was collected from me. They dropped me off at Costain, I had to trek from there to Surulere because I had nothing on me to reach anyone for help. I resumed work the following morning and told me HoD, she spoke on my behalf but I only got a sorry, after life goes on.

I have heard several complaints from colleagues and friends. One of my friend's husband was beaten to a stupor and was robbed because of going home late. At other times the children suffer because mummy and daddy live very early and come back late.

We implore employers to encourage all employees to go home early and as when due. Stay back late does not mean one is dedicated, if an employee comes in early and ensures their 8 hours is productive, 5:00 pm is a good time to go home.

Remember a good home also makes a good and productive employee.
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 10:02am On Feb 29
Hamachi:

We appeal to employers of labor to understand that there is life outside the office. Encourage employees to go home early and when due to be with their families, staying late in the office frequently has consequences on the family circle.

During exigency working late is understandable but making it mandatory that employees should work late or stay in the office as long as they are in the office is not the best practice.

I was once in this situation during my early career days, I was asked to stay back till the MD left, He finally left at 10:15 pm. I went home by commercial transport and ended up in one chance, everything I had was collected from me. They dropped me off at Costain, I had to trek from there to Surulere because I had nothing on me to reach anyone for help. I resumed work the following morning and told me HoD, she spoke on my behalf but I only got a sorry, after life goes on.

I have heard several complaints from colleagues and friends. One of my friend's husband was beaten to a stupor and was robbed because of going home late. At other times the children suffer because mummy and daddy live very early and come back late.

We implore employers to encourage all employees to go home early and as when due. Stay back late does not mean one is dedicated, if an employee comes in early and ensures their 8 hours is productive, 5:00 pm is a good time to go home.

You are doing the work of the labour union.

The NLC, TUC, ASUU and various other unions were set up primarily for pursuing the welfare of Nigerian workers.

Comrade Adams Oshiomole was a man who understood his job in those days.

Apart from Prof. Osodeke of ASUU, one can hardly think of any other organized labour union president in recent times who has mastered the art of holding the government's balls with sustained pressure until their demands are met.

Given that most of our current labour leaders are mostly politicians, political lackeys or plain judases; one should read their offer letter thoroughly before accepting any job.

There are some demanding jobs one can manage while single which would become an Achilles's heel if they don't quit it for marriage to give more attention to their kids or spouses.
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:02am On Feb 29
HeatSeeker:

grin it's all part of adding value as an employee. Your family can use the money from the job, so they will understand.

Sadly true cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:03am On Feb 29
Pojomojo:
When would you have time for your family?

Would you like services to be very fast?

When you have issues with your bank, SIm card, equipment at home and other services, do you want them resolved as quickly as possible?

1 Like

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by DiamondNimi(m): 10:04am On Feb 29
This is one of the most reasonable post have read on nairaland,abeg ooooo anyone who know how I can meet with any of the A list actor or actress I've interesting script for sell
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Daniel7543: 10:06am On Feb 29
Pojomojo:
Which kind useless extra hours, are they paying for the overtime. Are you expected to work and die? Don't you have a life of your own
This is Africa where we have poor time management and working hours.

You will work and work and work and work and work and work and work until you dieeeeeeeeeee

5 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by airsaylongcome: 10:06am On Feb 29
DiamondNimi:
This is one of the most reasonable post have read on nairaland,abeg ooooo anyone who know how I can meet with any of the A list actor or actress I've interesting script for sell

Why would you need to need the actors if you have a script for sale? Abi you don't know how the industry works?
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:06am On Feb 29
HeatSeeker:
You never see anything. Quiet quiting has now become a serious offence in the corporate world. All employees are expected to go above and beyond; this includes working extra hours. All for the sake of adding value.

Very well said.

Especially in the service industry.

And your management still expects and 'preach' work life balance grin

4 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Angelfrost(m): 10:10am On Feb 29
HeatSeeker:
You never see anything. Quiet quiting has now become a serious offence in the corporate world. All employees are expected to go above and beyond; this includes working extra hours. All for the sake of adding value.

That's the ignorance and arrogance of the Nigerian labor system.

Overworked and unhappy employees won't contribute their best to the growth of the organization.

A chain is as strong as its weakest links.

Well remunerated staff who are flourishing in other areas of their lives will be more loyal and contributive to every organization.

A lot of organizations in Nigeria would have been ahead twice more than they are growing currently if they learnt to treat their staff with more humanity and courtesy.

6 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Daniel7543: 10:12am On Feb 29
Hamachi:
You mind sharing your experience.
This is Africa where we have poor time management and poor working hours.

You will work and work and work and work and work and work and work until you dieeeeeeeeeee

1 Like

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by wunmi590(m): 10:12am On Feb 29

Aptly said
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by BigBashiru: 10:13am On Feb 29
Hamachi:

Nigerian employers are narcissistic slave drivers.
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by GenderMix: 10:15am On Feb 29
Very interesting Topic.
I have never been a fan of working late. Although during my early career days before I got married , I usually sacrifice extra work hours to meet up with deadlines. A lady was my boss then. On a particular day when I got drenched in rain to meet up resumption and I realized that my boss never cared and i had asked for a raise earlier. I just went to my desk , drafted a resignation letter and off i went. She begged me afterwarsd but i refused.

In the new office, i made up my mind never to commit an extra time except it is extremely important. I resumed the normal time and close exactly 5pm ensuring that i finish all tasks for the day. I made it clear to my male boss that i value my family over anything and he respects that. Worked for some years , got raise even though I leave earlier than everyone...lol

Today i work from anywhere I like and i focus seriously on my family.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by amnesty7: 10:19am On Feb 29
What you cannot achieve from 8-5, you cannot achieve it in the night.

1 Like

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by victorVIC1(m): 10:21am On Feb 29
Unfortunately, the employment situation in Nigeria is a major contributor here as employers are well aware that you have little or no option.While you are pushing to get a job that gives you sufficient time to create a good life and work balance, just ensure the little time you have outside work counts for something. Minimize mobile device usage and let your loved ones feel your presence.

Disconnect to connect

1 Like

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:21am On Feb 29
amnesty7:
What you cannot achieve from 8-5, you cannot achieve it in the night.

Not true cheesy
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Coldspice: 10:23am On Feb 29
Hamachi:
If you are smart enough you would know I help people by posting jobs. Join the WhatsApp group on my profile for more jobs.

Will you shut up your dirty mouth.
You are promoting slavery, not posting jobs.
Yet, you are opening a thread of lamentations.

2 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by BigBashiru: 10:25am On Feb 29
talk2hb1:
If you think your employer love you, wait till someone more valuable than you come on board, you will know your level.

I had my fair share of experience of working late till when Boss is pleased, then I was working at ChamsSwitch one of Chams subsidiaries, working as a software developer.

We will work till late 10:00-10:30, I won't get home on the mainland till maybe 11:00-11:30pm when I got to my area in Araromi before Iyana Ipaja at 12:15am. I was accosted by Police Men on patrol pointing guns at me when they were chasing Indian Hemp seller, accusing me of going their to buy Hemp, Las las they let me go.

Hence I downloaded brain for myself online and quit, ChamsSwitch is still owing me more than a million naira till date.

Why did you not take them to the National Industrial Court to recover your money? The court even has an app on playstore.

3 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Darkandhandsom(m): 10:27am On Feb 29
I watch my colleagues stay extra 3 hours after closing by 5pm and in their mind, they are the best staff. Lol. Me immediately it is 5pm, I begin to pack and latest 5:10pm, I'm off

4 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by NoToPile: 10:27am On Feb 29
Been there won't ever do it again.

Olorun maje.

2 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:33am On Feb 29
Darkandhandsom:
I watch my colleagues stay extra 3 hours after closing by 5pm and in their mind, they are the best staff. Lol. Me immediately it is 5pm, I begin to back and latest 5:10pm, I'm off

Also depends on the role and workload.
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:34am On Feb 29
NoToPile:
Been there won't ever do it again.

Olorun maje.

You took this personal ke cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by otomatic(m): 10:39am On Feb 29
Anybody staying beyond 5pm is not adding value but very inefficient.
When you consider the cost of powering the office with diesel, then one should efficiently make use of the hours between 8am and 5pm.

3 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by ObalendeCMS: 10:46am On Feb 29
I care about my mental health & peace of mind.

I'll rather sell pure water where I can control my time & life than work for any foo1ish oga in nigeria. The oga will make your life living in hell, especially if his homefront is frustrating him; the were oga will transfer his aggression on you!

2 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Darkandhandsom(m): 10:46am On Feb 29
Lol. Which Yeye role and workload
bukatyne:

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by bukatyne(f): 10:51am On Feb 29
otomatic:
Anybody staying beyond 5pm is not adding value but very inefficient.
When you consider the cost of powering the office with diesel, then one should efficiently make use of the hours between 8am and 5pm.

I am sure the organisation has done the cost-benefit analysis of their employees staying late and judge it to be worth it.

While staying late should be frowned upon, stating that it doesn't add value or people staying late are unproductive reeks of ignorance 🙃
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by IyaTola: 11:09am On Feb 29
What sector are you working in?
GenderMix:
Very interesting Topic.
I have never been a fan of working late. Although during my early career days before I got married , I usually sacrifice extra work hours to meet up with deadlines. A lady was my boss then. On a particular day when I got drenched in rain to meet up resumption and I realized that my boss never cared and i had asked for a raise earlier. I just went to my desk , drafted a resignation letter and off i went. She begged me afterwarsd but i refused.

In the new office, i made up my mind never to commit an extra time except it is extremely important. I resumed the normal time and close exactly 5pm ensuring that i finish all tasks for the day. I made it clear to my male boss that i value my family over anything and he respects that. Worked for some years , got raise even though I leave earlier than everyone...lol

Today i work from anywhere I like and i focus seriously on my family.
Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by Smithwilliams826: 11:11am On Feb 29
I actually quit my previous job when it was taken a whole lots of time and energy from me even to the extent when they were offering me position of HM. I reject am, they still they force am on me. grin na so I carry my bag dey sing "this world is not my home......"

Me I no con life to kill myself because of money. Now I have lots of time for myself and still make cool legit cash.

Na only mumu dey stress hin life on top another man job.

There's difference between work and Job.
No quote me

7 Likes

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by IyaTola: 11:12am On Feb 29
Which mumu workload? I used to have a boss, who deliberately would not come to the office till 4:45pm, that when his asking for report of this and that, till about 7:45pm, the annoying thing is his house is just five houses away from the office.
bukatyne:

Atimes he would deliberately call you around 5:10pm on your way home that he needs a report ASAP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's Is Life Outside Work by IyaTola: 11:14am On Feb 29
bukatyne:

I am sure the organisation has done the cost-benefit analysis of their employees staying late and judge it to be worth it.

While staying late should be frowned upon, stating that it doesn't add value or people staying late are unproductive reeks of ignorance 🙃

IT DEPEND ON THE INDUSTRY

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancies @ Etihad / / 200,000 Youths About To Become Jobless As November Approaches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.