Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice (31785 Views)

Tomato Scarcity Looms As FG Approves Importation For Nine Companies / Strange Insects Attack Crops In Kano - Farmers Cry Out, As Food Shortage Looms / Nigeria Heading For Famine Due To Boko Haram Killings — Kaduna Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Paraman: 10:24am On Feb 14
In spite of the Federal Government’s repeated assurance of bringing down the prices of foodstuffs in the markets, some grain marketers, especially rice merchants in Sokoto State, have commenced massive exportation of local rice to Niger Republic.

Arewa PUNCH’s month-long investigations across the state reveal that most rice dealers now prefer to export the Nigerian local rice to the neighbouring country due to the exchange rate.

A commercial driver who is among the group hired to ferry bags of the grain outside the country told Arewa PUNCH on condition of anonymity that the reason behind the business idea is to get more money.

He explained, I am sure you know that our currency in this country has spoiled beyond reasonable doubt.

“A plate of local rice in Sokoto goes for between 3,000 and 3,200 naira while same products go for the equivalent of 5,500 or more in Niger Republic.

“I am sure you know, as a trader, your primary objective is to make more money for yourself. You should be concerned about your profit.

How will you expect me to sell products in this country when a better market is waiting for me just around the corner,
” he stated.

Continuing, he stressed, “Ever since our currency got to this level, we just have to find a way to make more money when there is such opportunity.

“The ECOWAS ban on Niger Republic has restricted movement of goods from foreign countries especially foreign parboiled rice which is why we too are taking the advantage in this gap to make sharp export business.”

Asked if the Nigeria-Niger Republic border closure does not affect their operation, he remarked that the continued closer of the border does not affect their movement saying, “we normally move through the illegal routes along the bush.

“We only need to bribe these security agents along the bush path both in Nigeria and these in the Niger Republic territory to deliver the rice over there.

“Even if the border is not closed by ECOWAS or the federal government, we wouldn’t have use the border route as our goods may not be allowed to pass through, so the bush path remains the better route for our movement.”

Arewa PUNCH recalls that the directive of the Economic Community of West Africa States to it’s member countries to close all their borders against Niger Republic, has brought about untold hardship to the country, especially as the food supply chain got thin with foreign rice being the most affected from getting into that country.

https://punchng.com/famine-looms-as-sokoto-traders-flood-niger-republics-markets-with-local-rice/?amp

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Kaycee9242(m): 10:30am On Feb 14
Tinubu will handle economy my foot

182 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Dobodobo04: 10:36am On Feb 14
Weak Naira is making our goods easier to export.

Soon, US, UK and EU will start coming to buy our agricultural produce, which will organically restrengthen the Naira in the long run.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Nbote(m): 10:36am On Feb 14
Where's the useless people that are closing private warehouses that stocked products, let them go to sokoto and buy the products to sell themselves

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by CodeTemplar: 10:45am On Feb 14
The fallout of bitter politics by Tinubu.

Why not buy the rice into national strategic grain reserve since anchow borrow scheme funds was crucial in growing those rice?

He wants to rubbish anything Emefiele at all cost. Vengeful creature.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by BrodaBenad: 10:45am On Feb 14
grin

Tinubu is a disaster

Gbajue people on the mud

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by mobileboy: 11:13am On Feb 14
B
Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Tonididdyx: 11:13am On Feb 14
Lol... As usual, complain and keep buying. Even if the rice na 50% stone 50% grains... Nigerians will buy it, while the leaders import theirs.
... This suffering has NO SOLUTION until we do the bloody neccesities.
The country should be SHUTDOWN and a REBOOTH demanded!

I was chilling at my tenants cement shop yesterday for some hours while he went to supply.
A customer came and said he wanted cement, ( in my heart I wanted to confirm truly how stupid Nigerians are), I boldly bluntly told him 12k per bag (against the current 10k it's currently sold at).
Lo and behold after murmuring some stupid word like ya'all do online. He requested for 10bags.

I went into my componud to drive out my car and supplied him myself. He was like "ah this fine car for cement, I replied my boys carry cememt motor go supply... You nor fit wait!

My tenant returned, I transfer him 100k and chuckin 20k.

.... It's at this point I concluded of the stupidity of many Nigerians.

modified : I don't have energy to reply the mentions coming at my post. I cannot justify my action, positively,
I just want people to have an idea where the problem of the country lies.

Prices will keep rising cause all we do is complain, no actions... Even the meekest of actions like a simple boycott
You see that 12k per bag.... It will happen and people will still buy!

52 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by slaawomirr: 11:13am On Feb 14
Damnnn niggar

Nothing good is coming out of tinubu's administration

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by NaijaCover(m): 11:13am On Feb 14
Cha E

1 Like

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by merits(m): 11:14am On Feb 14

8 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Saidfx(m): 11:14am On Feb 14
Fear who know fear Aboki

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by inoki247: 11:15am On Feb 14
Tonididdyx:

I was chilling at my tenants cement shop yesterday for some hours while he went to supply.
A customer came and said he wanted cement, ( in my heart I wanted to confirm truly how stupid Nigerians are), I boldly bluntly told him 12k per bag (against the current 10k it's currently sold at).
Lo and behold after murmuring some stupid word like ya'all do online. He requested for 10bags.
I went into my componud to drive out my car and supplied him myself. He was like "ah this fine car for cement, I replied my boys carry cememt motor go supply... You nor fit wait!

My tenant returned, I transfer him 100k and chuckin 20k.

.... It's at this point I concluded of the stupidity of many Nigerians.

Lol with all the increments people are still buying all this things that's where I don't even understand.....

When they say Economy is so good most of our parent are building mud house and couldn't afford Peugout 504 of 3k Naira den....

Economy was good den buh they've no working to show cement was cheap den buh it's hard for people to build a house...

Now that we say everything is worst and unbearable people are still doing things and achieving far better than when the economy was good....

Right now almost all produce is being arbitrage I think this where the present problem we are facing is coming from due to Naira floating people prefer to sell across to border any goods from Nigeria to make more profit....

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Figolouis: 11:15am On Feb 14
[b][i][/i]EVEN THE EWA and Agbado they promised us is not available

3 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by ivolt: 11:15am On Feb 14
Okay.
Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Editorialtimes: 11:15am On Feb 14
shocked Maybe there's a conspiracy going on somewhere about something. I don't know. But this is bad sign that all is not well with our unity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by ngeneukwuewuGOAT: 11:15am On Feb 14
grin

I remembered that useless former Kano governor and that midget from kaduna. They were chanting jihad jihad jihad. They said Islam must triumph and Muslim tickets is a sure bet.

They said Obi and the Igbo must be taught a lesson.

They said they will suppress and oppress northern Christians.

Today the people crying most are the Muslim West and Muslim north. Una go smell una nyash Las Las . Tenibu never even reach one year for office una dey cry of hungry.

Wait ooo, there is one idiot in this forum that goes by the name HungerBad. Where is him

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Klington: 11:16am On Feb 14
cool

Cfa is stronger than our weak naira and as a business person you know what that means.

Tinubulation and his empty head goons have succeeded in destroying the country.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Winning123: 11:16am On Feb 14
Kaycee9242:
Tinubu will handle economy my foot

Mumu! Rather than think on how to leverage the above information, you are insulting Tinubu. The problem with many of you is that you are MENTALLY LAZY. Challenges presents opportunities. But no for people like you. All you do all day is to abuse Tinubu who don't even know you exist.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by erai30(m): 11:16am On Feb 14
O God send us a Joseph, because this Pharaoh called BAT have no idea in ruling a country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by seunpas: 11:17am On Feb 14
Elo fokan balé grin

4 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by slivertongue: 11:17am On Feb 14
the disaster called APC hunting everyone

4 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by SoNature(m): 11:17am On Feb 14
Those Northerners see people from Nigeria like their brothers than they see those from Southern Nigeria undecided

3 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by treatise: 11:17am On Feb 14
[quote author=Kaycee9242 post=128450032]Tinubu will handle economy my foot[/quote He's just realising that Nigeria is more complex than Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by wizelink(m): 11:17am On Feb 14
Na their business. I thought they said border was closed, how come dey enter Niger? Abi they fly but Niger republic don ban Nigerians flying into their country. How did they enta? These people are not telling us the truth.
Anyway famine na for them not for me. I and my family are continually living in abundance of God's blessings and good things no dey lack for my side. God don do am for me and He still dey do am for me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Southwestidiot: 11:17am On Feb 14
Dobodobo04:
Weak Naira is making our goods easier to export.

Soon, US, UK and EU will start coming to buy our agricultural produce, which will organically restrengthen the Naira in the long run.

which goods? When farmers can't enter their farmlands anymore due to insecurity.

10 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Mindlog: 11:18am On Feb 14
I thought the border was "closed".

3 Likes

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by GreenCovering: 11:19am On Feb 14
1 xof = 2.5 naira

More than double value for same quantity (or lesser) of export supply.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Tonididdyx: 11:19am On Feb 14
inoki247:

Lol with all the increments people are still buying all this things that's where I don't even understand.....

When they say Economy is so good most of our parent are building mud house and couldn't afford Peugout 504 of 3k Naira den....

Economy was good den buh they've no working to show cement was cheap den buh it's hard for people to build a house...

Now that we say everything is worst and unbearable people are still doing things and achieving far better than when the economy was good....
Very stupid bunch

I had payed for some bags before this madness started, I requested my money back when they increased it.
Project stopped!

... If many people pause their projects, cement manufacturers, in fact building materials in general will be forced to drop prices because demand will sink immediately but NO.... some idiots want to prove na them get the money pass.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice by Patojargz: 11:19am On Feb 14
Normally, na wetin ona vote so make dem deal with it... No more complaints!!! Baba don tell ona to hold em ministers accountable for any failure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming / N-Power Beneficiary Starts Sugar Cane Farm With N-Power Stipend (Photos) / Best Cassava Production Plan To Help You Make Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.