Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis (29938 Views)

Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1000 Per Liter Mark / Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre / Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦216, Daily Subsidy Now ₦4.64 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by BluntCrazeMan: 2:36am On Feb 15
This is not sounding like good news at-all..
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Karleb(m): 2:51am On Feb 15
We will buy.

Just sell and stop all these panic.

We are prepared for the worst.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:04am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

So the fact that apc has been lying to you about subsides is trash?

Didn't know you were an apc supporter.

As for me apc and pdp are the same . And their policy o subsides is why we don't have cash right now for subsides.

We are not the masters of our destiny now.
Abeg sorry joor

I didn't mean to trash ur words!

APC is a useless party only I meant!

cool

1 Like

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:43am On Feb 15
BarrElChapo:

So why is he still paying subsidy at all ?

Because politicans always sacrifice sane economics on the altar of political expidency, and Tinubu is no exception.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:45am On Feb 15
Ojuntana:

grin grin grin
1 am a Corny man 🌽

I never cease to amaize myself with my analysis 🌽 🌽 🌽

Kukutente, Kukutenla or Agborioteoje...back the ell off.

Seriously back off.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:46am On Feb 15
LordBillionz:

Oga analyst, you don finish?

Oya go read your book. You Sabi nothing.

Yea, real classy am sure.

Now go and drink yer mother's milk, young girl. And get some sleep too.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:49am On Feb 15
Emekayoung:

So are you benefitting from the economy now? The economy of before and now,which one is better?

You are asking me whether being boiled in hot water slowly or being kept in a refridgerator at full blast , which is better? OKAY.

Nigeria has never had a good economy in my lifetime, and even before. It always has been awful. And even when it is good, we were always under threat when the price of whatever we sold for income fell.

Until Nigeria becomes a manufacurring exporter...nothing for us

And if you think this is an excuse for tinubu..tell me, is tinubu preparing us to be a manufacutruing exporter?
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:52am On Feb 15
ReubenE:

@bold

That your particular assertion is incorrect. The over bloated percentage of subsidy paid is as a result of naira devaluation/Forex, and not growth in consumption and subsidy payment in actuality.
After the supposed removal of subsidy and the hike in the price of PMS, consumption reduced drastically yet the landing cost has grown so why do you feel it is as a result of government paying subsidy. I really don't understand your grouse with subsidy. If subsidy is totally removed today, as long as naira is getting weaker, the landing cost will continue to grow and the attendant hike in the price of PMS.

Again, why do you assume the cost of subsidy would have grown from N2 to N920 if PDP was still in power. Are you in a way saying it was inevitable for the naira to weaken against the dollar from 180/$ to 1500/$ even if PDP was in power? Do you know if the PDP would have maintained a stable forex as against what is going on today?
For the fact that you are trying to rope in a party that left government almost 10 years ago to defend or explain the chaos that is going on today calls your sincerity into question. You are passing off as the face of Jacob and the hand of Esau.
The growth of subsidy is largely connected to the forex chaos.

Again, your last two paragraphs gave you away as someone representing a certain interest.

The only interest I rerpesent is to argue that Nigeria needs to change its economic ways.

I don't support APC, I am not a supporter of your PDP, they are both the same to me.

Subsidy is wrecking our economy. You cannot have it both ways.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 3:52am On Feb 15
ValarDoharis:
You did not factor if the exchange rate had been kept at 160 by enough production.

APC is a plague, they caused this 100%

Because most Nigerians do not factor it in, they just want cheap fuel. And it is annoying.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by OKEIYIOKODU: 4:10am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

SOURCE
Keep believing them that the government don't pay subsidies in petrol at your own risk
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Yankee101: 4:12am On Feb 15
Tinubu and his team didn’t think far before devaluing the naira
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by PJ123: 4:22am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

Yeah, but let's be honest, maintainig subsidy has brought a lot of problems for our economy.

Now, let's be honest, I think there should be some subsidy for say the poorest of the poor. But what makes subsidy impossible in Nigeria is simple....we don;t have enough money for it. Yes our politicans loot, but we spent 10 trillion naira on subsidy in 2022, and 14 trillion in 2023. I doubt that any politican has looted that amount at all.

Either we do as sane nations do and raise our tax to gdp and get the money that way, or we sell more cocoa, cotton and solid minerals to raise monies for things like fuel subsidy. Either that, or we forget about subsidy.

All those cost of subsidy you quoted were overly inflated due to corruption and oil thefty.
The issues any serious government would face is to completely eradicate the corruption and oil thefty, this will give actual cost of subsidy.
If corruption, rent-seeking, institutional weakness and dollarization of Nigerian are not purposefully and transparently dealt with, Nigeria is inevitably destined to be doomed.
As a patriotic Nigerian, I just wished something drastic can happen to rescue this country In Jesus name!!!
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 4:22am On Feb 15
OKEIYIOKODU:

Keep believing them that the government don't pay subsidies in petrol at your own risk

Eh, I know they are paying subsides. cheesy

LIke, since October 2023..when landing cost was N720. Highest fuel price was N700. There was a subsidy in place , and there was even a report then that confirmed it.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 4:25am On Feb 15
PJ123:

All those cost of subsidy you quoted were overly inflated due to corruption and oil thefty.
The issues any serious government would face is to completely eradicate the corruption and oil thefty, this will give actual cost of subsidy.
If corruption, rent-seeking, institutional weakness and dollarization of Nigerian are not purposefully and transparently dealt with, Nigeria is inevitably destined to be doomed.
As a patriotic Nigerian, I just wished something drastic can happen to rescue this country In Jesus name!!!

They should, but the problem with subsidy is that year in and year out it rises with rising petroleum costs, rising amount of petrol in use, and rising level of smuggling...which would happen because cheap fuel (Libya and Venezuela subsidise fuel even more than we do and both have massive smuggling issues, Libya even uses its airforce to bomb smuggliers self...something we cannot do here).

And anyway, we are not earning enough right now, and our debt service is eating a very large proportion of our revenue as things stand.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Saidfx(m): 4:35am On Feb 15
Make we dey play, IMF need collect thier money
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Federalis: 4:59am On Feb 15
Good. When will it get to 3000 naira?
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by ford101: 5:31am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:
If one has been following this thing for as long as I have, you would see that we are paying a subsidy.

1.APC apologists cry that fuel is not being subsidised...well it is. Landing cost was N720 as at October, now it is N1000..meaning subsidy costs rose from N20-140 to N300-420 per liter today. We are pushing ourselves into more debt so see where we are

2.IN 2012 january, landing cost was N99 per liter, now it is N1000. Fuel price was N97 per liter now it is N580-720.

Assuming Nigeria kept fuel at N97 per liter as some PDP apologists wanted , by now subsidy would have risen from N2 per liter to N920 per liter ...and note that fuel consumption has risen over the years.

We would have a debt that would make our current debt look like the pocket money you give your 10 year old.

See how much subsidy costs? But all of you, be it PDP or APC or LP, many of you want it.

Oya, come and get your fuel at N97....lol.

MOdified

I find it amusing some people think I support APC because of this comment. APC is still paying subsidy, meanwhile I oppose payment of subsidy....so apparently I am an aAPC supporter.

See, I don't get NIgerians. Someone is supporting something that is in opposition to the party in power, yet is a supporter of the party.

I pray God opens your eyes to see what I see, all ye who quote me, then you will understand there is a method to my madness.
any person who doesn't feel the pain and the hardship the common Nigerian goes true since on from the APC government and claims he isn't in support of APC is far more animalistic than the APC supporters them self. Can draculer be called a Christian? No but it fights a Christian cause.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 5:37am On Feb 15
ford101:
any person who doesn't feel the pain and the hardship the common Nigerian goes true since on from the APC government and claims he isn't in support of APC is far more animalistic than the APC supporters them self. Can draculer be called a Christian? No but it fights a Christian cause.

I am feeling the pain...but what I fear is the pain of running out of money because subsidy costs have eaten the revenue well well.

We have a debt that is eating, and was eating over 90% of our revenue as at May 2023, and a big part of the reason was subsidy.

That's why OBi, atiku and tinubu all said subsidy had to go and why Buhari had subsidy budget in till June 2023....because they knew we were all borrowed up, and this close to collapsing financially

If they kept subsidy, and fuel still cost N200 or less , like YOU want it, we would have had run out of money. ANd if you think our current status is bad, imagine running out of money...nothing to loot, nothing to pay salaries, nothing to pay for contracts, nothing in the kitty.

Then we would be under the thumb of IMF, who would STILL force us to remove subsides anyway.

Your comment shows you do not know how bad we are in (and we are in this state because of APC, Buhari and tinubu, before you start)....we are in a bad state. Very bad state. Either we cut subsisides (what tinubu did was partial removal) or we find ourselves so broke, IMF would be running the country. Directly this time.

For me, it is basically either die of thirst in the desert or die of freezing in the Arctic. There is a third way, and it is being taken, though without a lot of caveats.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Omalicious1: 5:50am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

SOURCE

So are we still importing Petrol? How Dangote Refinery na
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by oyeb15: 5:52am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:
If one has been following this thing for as long as I have, you would see that we are paying a subsidy.

1.APC apologists cry that fuel is not being subsidised...well it is. Landing cost was N720 as at October, now it is N1000..meaning subsidy costs rose from N20-140 to N300-420 per liter today. We are pushing ourselves into more debt so see where we are

2.IN 2012 january, landing cost was N99 per liter, now it is N1000. Fuel price was N97 per liter now it is N580-720.

Assuming Nigeria kept fuel at N97 per liter as some PDP apologists wanted , by now subsidy would have risen from N2 per liter to N920 per liter ...and note that fuel consumption has risen over the years.

We would have a debt that would make our current debt look like the pocket money you give your 10 year old.

See how much subsidy costs? But all of you, be it PDP or APC or LP, many of you want it.

MOdified

I find it amusing some people think I support APC because of this comment. APC is still paying subsidy, meanwhile I oppose payment of subsidy....so apparently I am an aAPC supporter.

See, I don't get NIgerians. Someone is supporting something that is in opposition to the party in power, yet is a supporter of the party.

I pray God opens your eyes to see what I see, all ye who quote me, then you will understand there is a method to my madness.

You don't understand what u are talking about . Can u tell me what brings dollars down. It's your internal production and economy. Tinubu messed them up by removing subsidy and dollar will keep going up. Even if u use d whole national budget to pay subsidy and your economy boom and dollar crashed, is it not better.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Zetty177x: 5:55am On Feb 15
Tell that Voodoo Economist to unfloat the naira immediately and things will normalize. Why did Thienubu unfloat the Naira? U guys voted for a man who trolled Obi by saying "na statistics we go chop?" Deal with ur hunger guys..that's ur karma
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Zetty177x: 6:04am On Feb 15
OkCornel:
APC promises…a throwback

Make someone tell the clown that we can swim in fuel and don't need life jackets
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Zetty177x: 6:07am On Feb 15
Johnjustice:
Floating the naira without positioning our economy and international trade policies, so naira can compete favorably will make things worse. Naira can't compete with dollars as it is, leaving them for market forces means dollar rate will keep rising perpetually because our dollar demand has not reduced, and nobody is demanding Naira internationally.

Pls let's tag the Minister of Finance on Twitter or Instagram. Tinubu need to unfloat what he floated.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 6:10am On Feb 15
oyeb15:

You don't understand what u are talking about . Can u tell me what brings dollars down. It's your internal production and economy. Tinubu messed them up by removing subsidy and dollar will keep going up. Even if u use d whole national budget to pay subsidy and your economy boom and dollar crashed, is it not better.

Well, what would make our currency strong is if we become an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

We are not, so we are going to keep on having a weak currency, no matter what, because oil prices will never favour us.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 6:10am On Feb 15
Omalicious1:

So are we still importing Petrol? How Dangote Refinery na

Do I work there?

1 Like

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by junketer(m): 6:11am On Feb 15
MT:

You guys are always quick to jump into standard of living in the western world, yet you are not ready to pay what they are paying.

Do you know the number of bills they pay?

How many do you pay?

How many of you pay taxes at all. Lot of Nigerians have never paid any form of tax in their lifetime?

If the Government starts to charge you for owning TV, wont you scream to high heaven.

The people groan in the western nations too. It is not the paradise you think it is.

If not that our past leaders have really destroyed this country and lack foresight, Nigeria should be competing favourably in the world.

However, Nigerians want to live in a country that looks like Dubai without doing their bits.
We don't like paying tax because we know there will be no result when we pay tax. Here that i am right now, people pay water bill, electricity bill, refuse collection bill, toll gates and all the other charges and they are happy to do it because all these things are made available to them. In nigeria, we pay toll gates for roads that are death traps, pay electricity that we never use. The government should make these things available first and people will pay for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Offpoint1: 6:11am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

MOdified

What is landing cost? If Nigeria leaders past and present wasn't useless, all the trillions wasted on subsidy isn't enough to have at least 3-6 running refineries?
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 6:14am On Feb 15
Offpoint1:

What is landing cost? If Nigeria leaders past and present wasn't useless, all the trillions wasted on subsidy isn't enough to have at least 3-6 running refineries?

1.If we spent the subsidy money on new refineries, it means that petrol won't be cheap at all from even long before 1999. NIgerians would raise a stinker as a result.

Abacha was a fearless man, but even he knew not to remove fuel subsidy.

2.We are in the importing mess, because domestic refining was ruined by the price controls inherent in maintaing a subsidy. Also, since subsidy means free money even if one is not producing, corruption.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Stanislause94: 6:16am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

When that refinery starts, government should not sell fuel at a loss, because it would wreck the refinery.

The experts state that any fuel refined in Nigeria would cost N70 less than the landing cost..so fuel better cost N930 at least, or more, certainly not below N700.

We have not diversifed our economy at all, not regulated revenue from mining, not improved agriculture....so here we are. All our leaders, TInubu inclusive are to blame. Pretending that fuel is cheap even made matters worse.
but atleast they should fix electricity
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Zetty177x: 6:22am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

I am feeling the pain...but what I fear is the pain of running out of money because subsidy costs have eaten the revenue well well.

We have a debt that is eating, and was eating over 90% of our revenue as at May 2023, and a big part of the reason was subsidy.

That's why OBi, atiku and tinubu all said subsidy had to go and why Buhari had subsidy budget in till June 2023....because they knew we were all borrowed up, and this close to collapsing financially

If they kept subsidy, and fuel still cost N200 or less , like YOU want it, we would have had run out of money. ANd if you think our current status is bad, imagine running out of money...nothing to loot, nothing to pay salaries, nothing to pay for contracts, nothing in the kitty.

Then we would be under the thumb of IMF, who would STILL force us to remove subsides anyway.

Your comment shows you do not know how bad we are in (and we are in this state because of APC, Buhari and tinubu, before you start)....we are in a bad state. Very bad state. Either we cut subsisides (what tinubu did was partial removal) or we find ourselves so broke, IMF would be running the country. Directly this time.

For me, it is basically either die of thirst in the desert or die of freezing in the Arctic. There is a third way, and it is being taken, though without a lot of caveats.

If ur Voodoo Economist doesn't unfloat the Naira fast, Nigerians go die wella.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Franking: 6:28am On Feb 15
The most painful part is there is no electricity. You need petroleum products to power your gen too. Imagine how Buhari and Tinubu have wrecked this country.

That day that monkey will go to the market and not return is gradually coming.
Re: Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis by Franking: 6:33am On Feb 15
nairalanda1:

Do I work there?

You are such an annoying anarchist. No be you dey answer question left, right and centre as if na u know pass. Suddenly, u don't work there. Mtchew.... tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan Attends Oritsejafor's Jubilee Festival In Warri / Umar Ganduje Watching The Europa Finals Between Portugal And France / DSS Invasion: Atiku Commends Osinbajo Over Sack Of DG, Lawal Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.