Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43275 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by mabea: 8:57am On Feb 15
Kenmatt:

There is what is called language development.

A borrowed word that is infused to form a new word doesn't mean it's an originality.

It's in every language, be it English, Hausa or Efik.

Akara Igwe okwu- Phone number.

Ashawo, agidi, Waka and lots more are all not Igbo words but borrowed word that are infused into Igbo language.

So, AZA is not an original Igbo word.

It's not an Igbo word.
You're wrong. You should have said it is not an Igbo word in this context instead of saying it is not an Igbo word because aza is definitely an Igbo word.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by mabea: 9:00am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

The discussion wasnt about original. It's not a dick measuring contest. All I wanted to prove, was that it's an igbo word, and alot of igbos dont even know. In the process, I also learnt it is also a bini word.

2 truths can exist. I am not after the competition about who had it first. The word exist for both binis and igbos
Your point is very clear
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by mabea: 9:02am On Feb 15
Showguyz:

I hear you but saying aza means account number in Igbo is simply out of logic due to the fact than mordern banking (which uses account number) have not been aroound or popular in Nigeria for upto a century
But in Bini it means a place where you save money
What about ekwenti? Did Igbo invent the telephone?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Kenmatt(m): 9:05am On Feb 15
mabea:
You're wrong. You should have said it is not an Igbo word in this context instead of saying it is not an Igbo word because aza is definitely an Igbo word.

That word is not an Igbo word.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Silentgroper(m): 9:06am On Feb 15
LoveLeadsLand:

Just because Wikipedia said it doesn't mean it is Igbo. I'm Igbo but I'm not familiar with the word. Give an example of its usage in an Igbo sentence if you are sure of what you are saying.

You were there when it was coined? OK, tell us how it was coined. How come the word 'aza'? Was it from any language? Tell us.

Why are we so immature in this country? Small thing, we go tribalistic? Can't we have same word in two Nigerian languages? For example, "rock' is 'okuta' in Yoruba, and " okute" or "okwute" in Igbo. And there more.

Thank you for this information. Mind you, we're not quarreling. So far, everything points to Igbo and Bini.

Apata is rock .. okuta is stone
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by BALLOSKI: 9:20am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number
Word!!!
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by BBIA: 9:21am On Feb 15
mightyhaze:
Aza Room
grin
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 9:47am On Feb 15
puzzlegate:
dragging ASABA with Deltans ? What do you mean ? Asaba is a full Igbo land. Stopp deceiving people !

You ppl are sick !!

Even your land locked dot in the circle for that S/E igalla and TIV follow una dey there grin
Emeka you dey ment!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by mancanoe: 9:51am On Feb 15
Ngbada nko? Any one familiar with aza is aware of ngbada... But aza has gone viral though.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by mabea: 9:53am On Feb 15
Kenmatt:

You mean aza is not an Igbo word? Did you even understand my earlier statement you quoted?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by sirseven: 9:54am On Feb 15
Aza is originated from the wise Men also known as NBM. Is a hierarchial office in charge of keeping their treasury.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by NaMe4: 10:01am On Feb 15
Sctests:
Yoruba no know whether to join the struggle to claim the word. As "Z' no dey yoruba alphabets. grin

E dey! Dem dey pronounce am like Igala 'adja'.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Thinktwicemybro: 10:06am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

You heard it first in benin, does not mean it originated from Benin. It's not a benin word, it's an igbo word.
Lol boss please keep shut. Aza is a Benin word, it was Benin boys that popularize it. Aza is not an Igbo word. In all tribes in Edo Aza means bank or somewhere you keep money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by BigBrother54321: 10:10am On Feb 15
One word can have different or same meanings in several languages. The word aza is a Benin word which means treasury or safe. The term azaman was mostly used by NBM from a long time ago, as a secret coded word to refer to their treasurer. Just like their number 1 - when cults were still secret - is only known as kpoai and nothing else. Only Jews call them capone or any other name. Even their spiritual head has his own coded name.

As cult lingua began to cast, these coded names made it to the streets. Azaman was made popular by the NBM in Benin & refers to their treasurer.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ABC101FF: 11:55am On Feb 15
saddler:

Are you just spewing trash ignorantly or intentionally?

Many people have come out on this thread to tell you Aza in Edo means where something is stored especially money and you still went ahead to write rubbish.
Beats my imagination how one person can be both foolish and ignorant at same instance. I'm not the cause of your frustrations. Channel it appropriately. Your entire lineage are thrash/rubbish oriented and that shouldn't be my fault.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by BJanta: 12:25pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

For folks like you, everything is bigotry. You cant even make a meaningful input in a conversation.

If what you posted above will put your miserable soul to sleep peacefully, then who am I to stop you from your addiction. Sleep peacefully with your poorly bigoted mindset. Ciao!

You should have rebuted my claim with facts. These your vitepurations only expose your frustration and vexation at getting an altruistic ways to deny the indelible truth without openly looking foolish. So, thanÄ· you for confirming my observations with a bold.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Iykenuwa(m): 12:28pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

I no get strength to argue with emotional takes. I do books. Here is an igbo dictionary. Pls provide a documented evidence

I was waiting for your response so I can educate you further.

Another "Igbo" word of Benin origin is Odogwu which means mighty man or warrior.

It is a corruption of Edogun which is a chieftaincy title from Great Benin Empire, he led the armies of Benin to war and gained reputation for the conquests that expanded the frontiers of the Kingdom.

This is not to disparage Igbo language or history in anyway, just stating the historical facts, so we can all learn.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 12:41pm On Feb 15
Iykenuwa:

Another "Igbo" word of Benin origin is Odogwu which means mighty man or warrior.

It is a corruption of Edogun which is a chieftaincy title from Great Benin Empire, he led the armies of Benin to war and gained reputation for the conquests that expanded the frontiers of the Kingdom.

This is not to disparage Igbo language or history in anyway, just stating the historical facts, so we can all learn.

The discussion is on aza. No need to digress. Get somebody else so you guys can do the odogwu or edogun dick-measuring contest.

Stick to script. get me a book backed evidence that aza is not an igbo word, until then, 2 truths can exist; it's an igbo word and also a bini word
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 12:45pm On Feb 15
Iykenuwa:

Thanks for this insight I don learn something new
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Timeshalltell(m): 12:47pm On Feb 15
Benin word for Account na Aza. Bini language
HNICEARTH:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by putin2: 12:53pm On Feb 15
Aza is igbo name for account. Most Street name in abroad is igbo
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by efogie: 12:55pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

You heard it first in benin, does not mean it originated from Benin. It's not a benin word, it's an igbo word.

AZA means save, house or sack were money or valuable are kept in Benin. This word was made famous among youth by Davido who happen to have a Benin background. My view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by putin2: 12:58pm On Feb 15
If the word is not igbo it will not be adopted in Street aza is pure igbo word, how many benin dey Street, ? To bring word.

quote author=Kenmatt post=128464709]

That word is not an Igbo word.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by airsaylongcome: 1:02pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

There is no igbo word called ashebi.

Really?

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by efogie: 1:06pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

Personally, I and my people ( The Binis ) have been using the word AZA as SAVE orTREASURY ROOM/HOUSE from time in memorial. I have use it personally for over 50 years of my existence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by efogie: 1:11pm On Feb 15
idomytin:
Aza is an Axemen slang. Originally from the Igbo people ,but Aye's use it for Treasurer position. Technically numbers/ digits.

The history of the people you mention started in Benin, UNIBEN to be precise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by emmabest2000(m): 1:12pm On Feb 15
LoveLeadsLand:
Have you ever wondered why bank accounts are called 'aza' in Nigeria?

If you know, tell us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by efogie: 1:16pm On Feb 15
putin2:
If the word is not igbo it will not be adopted in Street aza is pure igbo word, how many benin dey Street, ? To bring word.

quote author=Kenmatt post=128464709]

The maternal background of musician that brought the word to street happens to be from Benin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Neddyogu(m): 1:17pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

Igbo word? What dialect?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by efogie: 1:24pm On Feb 15
NaMe4:

E dey! Dem dey pronounce am like Igala 'adja'.

grin

LOL
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by LoveLeadsLand(m): 1:30pm On Feb 15
Silentgroper:

Apata is rock .. okuta is stone
Ok. Thanks. In Igbo, "okute" or "okwute" is used both for "rock" and "stone".
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Kingsley123456(m): 1:43pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

Ano believe you all,
Una Sha like to dey stay relevant....

Na inferiority complex dey do una
Take it or leave it

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Robbers Did To A Nairalander's Sister's New Shop (Picture) / Please Advice Me!!! What Business Can I Start With 50k? / Hilarious Photos Of What A Young Man Does For A Living(Very Funny Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.