Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43303 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by LoveLeadsLand(m): 1:56pm On Feb 15
AutomaticMotors:
Ibo ppl funny sha grin

Just see this one below

Emeka I don dey wait make you throw the first insult and if you run go dey play victim now that I have come for you like your ppl are known for na Ogun go baptise your pelebe head!!

Make I give you reference for my own lingo again abi this OZUOR dey ment!! Where did you think Burna Boy got that "Aza" word from = His Cult
And Where did Aye Confraternity originate From? = Edo

What Language is Aye cult basic baming words based on = Edo

I no blame you sha na Burna Boy and davido I blame mey make Jew men with pelebe head like your own con dey use words mey Dem no understand dey catch cruise!!
Why is it that you people are always accusing others of what you yourselves are very guilty of? You said that Igbos are insultive but you yourself, this your comment, does it show that you are a well-trained person?

See you. You are on a forum and you're waiting for someone just to quarrel with him. Are you not ashamed of yourself for being so petty?

That's how you people carried a coffin depicting the death of a whole president in 2014 and 2015. But now when anybody says a little thing about Tinubu you begin to cry and then say it is other people who are insulting. Kai! You're extremely disgusting. I spit on you a trillion times. Both you and theSicilian.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 1:57pm On Feb 15
AutomaticMotors:

You ppl are sick !!

Even your land locked dot in the circle for that S/E igalla and TIV follow una dey there grin
Emeka you dey ment!
Hahahaha
I don tire for those people o, I swear!
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by blunt(m): 2:01pm On Feb 15
It was a coded name for the treasurer in NeoBlackMovement of Africa aka .... It has been in use for decades. Davido and most of the celebrities who promoted the word are members of this group. NBM started in UniBen as a group of intelligent but rugged students that arose to fight against intimidation, oppression and suppression of the black people through Apartheid and slavery although that mission has gone south long ago when it went off campus into the street. The source of the word remains unknown since most of their slangs and gyrations were borrowed from different parts of Nigeria. NBM is not a tribal or regional confra.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 2:05pm On Feb 15
LoveLeadsLand:

Why is it that you people are always accusing others of what you yourselves are very guilty of? You said that Igbos are insultive but you yourself, this your comment, does it show that you are a well-trained person?

See you. You are on a forum and you're waiting for someone just to quarrel with him. Are you not ashamed of yourself for being so petty?

That's how you people carried a coffin depicting the death of a whole president in 2014 and 2015. But now when anybody says a little thing about Tinubu you begin to cry and then say it is other people who are insulting. Kai! You're extremely disgusting. I spit on you a trillion times. Both you and theSicilian.
Wetin I do na? grin
I don't remember insulting you

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Pedyson: 2:15pm On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number

There’s is basically nothing in Nigeria Igbo will not claim origin of. Na wa! Go and do ur research, AZA it a Benin word for Bank and Banking

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Pedyson: 2:37pm On Feb 15
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by GreenCovering: 2:57pm On Feb 15
Reading through this thread clearly established that the word 'aza' has etymological origin and usages from among the Benin/Edo people. Contributors have shown various examples of this from time immemorial. However, no such etymological usage can be found with the Igbo people. This was established by @KosiGee.

Since etymology is the father of dictionary, it could not probably have been a word of Igbo origin simply because someone decided to type it in there only fairly recently.

I have come to learn a thing or two from these Benin people when they lay claim to something: they are always very foundational. imho.

smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 4:09pm On Feb 15
Showguyz:

I be bini boy, I sabi lie.

True. And you go explain taya. No evidence.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 4:14pm On Feb 15
Firstcitizen:
Igbo borrowed the word from ancient Benin warriors who conquered large parts of Igboland. cheesy

Whoever updated Wikipedia with the word is dubious sha

WHEN did bini conquer Igbo?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 4:16pm On Feb 15
ogbonti:

God bless you -- those here claiming "aza" as their language even when we know it is a Bini word are making me believe to some extent what Ahmadu Bello said about them ---- this is why the "GOOD MAN" Obi may find it very difficult to become Nigeria's President of Nigeria because his people are busy making enmity for him ----- there is something about them- feeling so superior above everyone - not a good thing undecided

before anyone call me a tribalist here - please follow my history on nairaland - I have always been Pro-Ibos here - BUT on this blind argument on the word "Aza" - which they are claiming so blindly - I am watching their behavior now with keen interest angry

please watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_odAy4rVz8&t=7s

You go explain taya, no evidence.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by SeunDAssLicker: 4:17pm On Feb 15
The full word is Ihaza, and it is an NBM term for the treasurer.

Davido sang with it as Aza being the short form of Ihaza and it became popular.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 4:21pm On Feb 15
AkinPhysicist:

I just mumu. I no sabi Google and I no wan better for life.
True I already know in show for your body

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ekene101: 5:10pm On Feb 15
SLIDEwaxie:
you're sick, try slimcase and Larry gaga
he's actually right, everyone on that axaman song are all ayes, the real name is ihaza(person in charge of money in the cult group) but those musician shortened it to azaman in Yahoo parlance so as not to cast that o.t.
Aza is a Benin word for treasure safe or money safe, just as most vikings ot are based on Igbo language because it's formed in Easter past,so is ayes ot because it's founded in uniben.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ologbo147: 7:23pm On Feb 15
ekene101:
he's actually right, everyone on that axaman song are all ayes, the real name is ihaza(person in charge of money in the cult group) but those musician shortened it to azaman in Yahoo parlance so as not to cast that o.t.
Aza is a Benin word for treasure safe or money safe, just as most vikings ot are based on Igbo language because it's formed in Easter past,so is ayes ot because it's founded in uniben.
another truthful soul, “just as most Vikings ot are based on Igbo language because it is formed in the eastern part, so is aye ot based on Bini language because it was founded in Uniben, Benin city

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by oserolink(m): 7:54pm On Feb 15
In Edo state Esan Language aza is called bank please go and verify.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 9:29pm On Feb 15
LoveLeadsLand:

Spit on your mother that got kwashiorkor from the war and spit heavily on Ojukwu that brought the civil war on your mother...... Thunda fire that your head Ozour

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by clappa: 6:30am On Feb 16
Aza is not an Igbo word OGA,it is the Benin word for bank and it was popularized by yahoo boys in Benin and Edo in general...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Clazzone(m): 8:38am On Feb 16
The scavengers have gone to edit the word aza on Wikipedia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ekene101: 8:45am On Feb 16
Ologbo147:
another truthful soul, “just as most Vikings ot are based on Igbo language because it is formed in the eastern part, so is aye ot based on Bini language because it was founded in Uniben, Benin city
It was even this thread I got to know the meaning of ecoaza(Treasury room)which is an inner room without windows in my grandfather's house,that's where he stores all his valuables, including beverages,money and precious items sent to h by his son from abroad. We were thinking it was just charms and juju in there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ekene101: 1:55pm On Feb 16
See, make una rest,the whole of Edo state Aza is known as Treasury,a place where treasures are stored. My mom is not even main Benin but Edo north and echo-aza means room in mher tribe, echo-aza is a special room important things are kept,like money,brevages,ghone(Gold jewelries) and mand precious items. It's a room without windows,just like a safe.
I grew up thinking it was just a room of charms where my late grandfather kept his juju and other stuffs even though I knew he kept important stuffs sent by his son from Europe in the 70s and early 80s.
In conclusion,aye musicians brought the Slang to limelight being that what boosted the slang was done by aye cult based artists and the cult originated from university of Benin, it's an Edo word.
Case closed..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Imobright2004: 5:41pm On Feb 18
Aza is word in my language in owan edo state, is a room without window that money and valuable things are kept, just like a bank
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Silentgroper(m): 8:39am On Feb 24
efogie:

AZA means save, house or sack were money or valuable are kept in Benin. This word was made famous among youth by Davido who happen to have a Benin background. My view.
Slim case actually made use of the word First in his song AZA MAN
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Azaland(f): 4:09am On Mar 15
That is why we have Aza Land forum.

Aza is a good term, short and concise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Femi Otedola Congratulates Aliko Dangote On The Completion Of His Refinery. / At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? / I Can't Transfer Money Without NIN, Pls Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.