Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,531 members, 7,823,310 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43309 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Chinjo2: 9:34pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number

Lier

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by SK1SOLA: 9:37pm On Feb 14
Enough of all the argument, paste your AZA asap fast fingers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Nyouth: 9:37pm On Feb 14
Nostring:
Igbo and benin fighting over a useless word " aza" up dia😂
my brother I wonder o, useless slang for that matter

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by samwash(m): 9:37pm On Feb 14
Esoheedos:
That word originated from Edo Language. The word Aza mean that long rope that women tie round their waist line where money is save in the market. The rope contain a purse like enclosure for safe keeping of money. AZA is an Edo word.

Gbam !!!!
You have said it all.
Some of these children of these days thinks all slangs revolve round Yoruba language.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 9:38pm On Feb 14
Chinjo2:

Lier

Say something reasonable. Quote a reference. Show you can read and research, come out with logical inputs. Until then, I am busy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkhereOkaka(m): 9:40pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

The Bini's in Edo state also call bank account Aza, is not synonymous to the Ibo alone.

We rise by lifting others

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 9:40pm On Feb 14
AutomaticMotors:

Edo borrow word from Ibo!! Asin Ibo oo!! Ibo!! in S/E grin

Emeka you are a "Criminal" and deserve to be arrested!!

You've not said anything backed by superior knowledge. Like quote something or a source. Make a reference to a study. Say something that shows you've got a brain, not all this emotional takes. Use your internet and do some fvcking research dude. Dont be a dull brain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Fryx: 9:46pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:
Have you ever wondered why bank accounts are called 'aza' in Nigeria?

If you know, tell us.

Cultists slang. It’s ported into Yahoo to. The person wey dey handle fundz for cult na Azaman.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:46pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

What about these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aza_(slang)#:~:text=In%20Igbo%2C%20%22Aza%22%20roughly,refer%20to%20bank%20account%20numbers.
Wow
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 9:46pm On Feb 14
AkhereOkaka:

The Bini's in Edo state also call bank account Aza, is not synonymous to the Ibo alone.

I always back my claims with a reference. Same time, I am not saying yours is not true.

Check, I dropped a dictionary in the thread
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by kals4luv990(m): 9:46pm On Feb 14
Zooposki:

The talk does not even sound Igbo. When did you guys start doing yahoo yahoo? Abeg send me your aza. Does that sentence sound like what an igbo boy would say or a benin boy?
boss it is an igbo word
I am igbo and have been hearing it since I was a kid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Lyricalz01: 9:47pm On Feb 14
Na just slangs
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkhereOkaka(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14
Ttalk:

Leave them make them dey deceive themselves.

Come let me take you to the house of the Lagos guy that first coined that word in the present of 4 undergraduates from a state university in Lagos.

Up till today we still joke about that circumstance that brought about that word.

If you are not computer savvy as at 2002, don't just put your mouth.

Coined by undergraduate from Unilag? Please do your research properly Aza is a Bini word for account, treasury. I know of a Benin song done more than 4 decades ago by late Osayomore Joseph he used the word Aza,

When did internet fraud gain prominence? When we where growing up as a kid in the early 1990's what we heard of then is 419.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by 08050486478ami(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14
I don't know what the word means in Ibo, but in Edo language, it means a place where money is kept

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

Just because Wikipedia said it doesn't mean it is Igbo. I'm Igbo but I'm not familiar with the word. Give an example of its usage in an Igbo sentence if you are sure of what you are saying.

You were there when it was coined? OK, tell us how it was coined. How come the word 'aza'? Was it from any language? Tell us.

Thank you for this information. Mind you, we're not quarreling. So far, everything points to Igbo and Bini.
Wow This is hit on the kneck 💅

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 9:49pm On Feb 14
Zooposki:

The talk does not even sound Igbo. When did you guys start doing yahoo yahoo? Abeg send me your aza. Does that sentence sound like what an igbo boy would say or a benin boy?

You be ozuor, for your mind you wan use Benin compare Owerri for where first cast for yahoo.

Benin dey learn when Owerri dey reign, na recently Benin start to dey hot w.r.t Yahoo.

I'm not a supporter of Yahoo but I am only clarifying things.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Dangrace01: 9:49pm On Feb 14
Where does the word nyash originate from

Aza is a coined word it dosent need to come from any tribe

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 9:50pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

You've not said anything backed by superior knowledge. Like quote something or a source. Make a reference to a study. Say something that shows you've got a brain, not all this emotional takes. Use your internet and do some fvcking research dude. Dont be a dull brain

"Emeka" I don dey wait make you throw the first insult and if you run go dey play victim now that I have come for you like your ppl are known for na Ogun go baptise your pelebe head!!

Make I give you reference for my own lingo again abi this OZUOR dey ment!! Where did you think Burna Boy got that "Aza" word from = His Cult
And Where did Aye Confraternity originate From? = Edo

What Language is Aye cult basic baming words based on = Edo

I no blame you sha na Burna Boy and davido I blame mey make Jew men with pelebe head like your own con dey use words mey Dem no understand dey catch cruise!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by thesolutions(m): 9:50pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

Just because Wikipedia said it doesn't mean it is Igbo. I'm Igbo but I'm not familiar with the word. Give an example of its usage in an Igbo sentence if you are sure of what you are saying.

You were there when it was coined? OK, tell us how it was coined. How come the word 'aza'? Was it from any language? Tell us.

Thank you for this information. Mind you, we're not quarreling. So far, everything poinfts to Igbo and Bini.
Definitely not Igbo. We can't claim this word.

But somehow, Igbo belong to edo and benue. I still can't understand the meaning of the name of some communities in my locality. They sound edo or tiv.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 9:52pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

Thank you for this information. Mind you, we're not quarreling. So far, everything points to Igbo and Bini.

You are a confused fellow, you asked a question and people are answering from their knowledge but in your stew peadity you dey argue am.

If you know it, why them are you disturbing us with this stew pead question?

Joble ssness at its peak!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Procashtips(m): 9:54pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

What about these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aza_(slang)#:~:text=In%20Igbo%2C%20%22Aza%22%20roughly,refer%20to%20bank%20account%20numbers.

South South

Remind me again, I thought Igbos occupy South East?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by kapelvej: 9:54pm On Feb 14
benin word for aza is account

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 9:55pm On Feb 14
AutomaticMotors:

"Emeka" I don dey wait make you throw the first insult and if you run go dey play victim now that I have come for you like your ppl are known for na Ogun go baptise your pelebe head!!

Make I give you reference for my own lingo again abi this OZUOR dey ment!! Where did you think Burna Boy got that "Aza" word from = His Cult
And Where did Aye Confraternity originate From? = Edo

What Language is Aye cult basic baming words based on = Edo

I no blame you sha na Burna Boy and davido I blame mey make Jew men with pelebe head like your own con dey use words mey Dem no understand dey catch cruise!!

See this mu², so being the originator of cultism na better thing?

You are empty aswear, see wetin this otondo dey brag with when your mate dey use better thing brag.

I once lived in B city, omoh their guys are very lazy, na the women dey mostly be the breadwinner for their family, na now I see why e be like that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Jeshurun90: 9:56pm On Feb 14
SK1SOLA:

Ali Idowu Samson
Opay

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by November24(f): 9:56pm On Feb 14
Zooposki:

Nor mind that one,Aza na bini word from memorial

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 9:56pm On Feb 14
Baby you wan see my wire
Oya say your AZA, omo say your AZA, baby say your AZA
Baby you wan see my wire
Oya say your AZA, omo say your AZA, baby say your AZA

Davido - Aza.

I like that song.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by IMASTEX: 9:57pm On Feb 14
Indispensable85:

It originated from Benin. Aza is a Benin term for account or a reservoir of money.

HNICEARTH:

You heard it first in benin, does not mean it originated from Benin. It's not a benin word, it's an igbo word.
You guys are so funny in this online. You don't understand Edo language, yet you're disagreeing with a speaker. There is nothing like account, treasury, etc in Edo language. The word "aza" is what is used since time immemorial. You can easily hear that from aged persons that don't understand English. "De eghe na khan gba aza." Simply means when are we disbursing or crediting, etc.
If the word coincidentally means same in your language, no big deal. After all it won't reduce the price of fuel.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by kyuniii(m): 9:57pm On Feb 14
SK1SOLA:
only for jokes, The Igbo or Bini AzA.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 9:58pm On Feb 14
Wetin be aza wey people dey even drag themselves on top?

Use less word, wey no get better meaning, na wa o.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Kenmatt(m): 10:00pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

Stop spreading what you don't know.

AZA is not an Igbo word.

I am a typical Igbo man that has wealthy knowledge of Igbo Culture, Language and norms.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 10:00pm On Feb 14
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

See this mu², so being the originator of cultism na better thing?

You are empty aswear, see wetin this otondo dey brag with when your mate dey use better thing brag.

I once lived in B city, omoh their guys are very lazy, na the women dey mostly be the breadwinner for their family, na now I see why e be like that.

Assuming your flat bald head can comprehend what I typed you for understand clearly that Edo language begat the Aza word but as expected from an "Emeka" you must slam your head for wall before e booth cheesy you better get lost OZUOR !! Oh you don stay for Edo b4 clap for yourself grin but me I never stay your landlocked dot in a circle before oo and I NEVER WILL! Nobody needs to stay in that **** to know how una brain dey OP grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by LoveLeadsLand(m): 10:01pm On Feb 14
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

You are a confused fellow, you asked a question and people are answering from their knowledge but in your stew peadity you dey argue am.

If you know it, why them are you disturbing us with this stew pead question?

Joble ssness at its peak!
grin You're free to vent your frustration. But if you calm down to read and raise your IQ a bit, you can see my reason for asking. Yes, I'm jobless and you are the one feeding me. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? / I Can't Transfer Money Without NIN, Pls Help. / Britain Bans Binance's UK Operations In Latest Cryptocurrency Crackdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.