Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,340 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43102 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Firstcitizen: 1:44am On Feb 15
Igbo borrowed the word from ancient Benin warriors who conquered large parts of Igboland. cheesy

Whoever updated Wikipedia with the word is dubious sha

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by SpatialKing(m): 1:49am On Feb 15
Okada691:
it is

Is not
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Okada691: 1:52am On Feb 15
SpatialKing:

Is not
you know nothing. You are just one dubious soul
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by SpatialKing(m): 1:53am On Feb 15
Okada691:
you know nothing. You are just one dubious soul

Na everything una they claim... 😂

Just want to be relevant by force

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Okada691: 1:57am On Feb 15
SpatialKing:

Na everything una they claim... 😂

Just want to be relevant by force
Reserve that assertion for your tribe, if there is any people guilty of it here, it is your people. You can see the unanimous decision of Benin and even other Igbo persons on the origin of the Word tracing to Benin. It is not the same for the Igbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by NaMe4: 2:14am On Feb 15
ogbonti:

God bless you - people forget anyone can edit wikipedia - that is why here in the USA - You can never use Wikipedia as a reference in any academic work or course work in college else you will fail woefully grin grin grin

It's even restricted/disallowed in some Countries due to its high potential to misinform.

Cannot be used for academic citation or reference.

Anyone in doubt should use wikipedia as the major source of information/data for his/her professional exam, if you no go "learn new thing"!

The original idea as an easily accessible digital encyclopedia was a great one, albeit undermined by activities of various people who choose to ignore the importance of facts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ogbonti: 2:21am On Feb 15
NaMe4:

It's even restricted/disallowed in some Countries due to its high potential to misinform.

Cannot be used for academic citation or reference.

Anyone in doubt should use wikipedia as the major source of information/data for his/her professional exam, if you no go "learn new thing"!

The original idea as an easily accessible digital encyclopedia was a great one, albeit undermined by activities of various people who choose to ignore the importance of facts.

God bless you -- those here claiming "aza" as their language even when we know it is a Bini word are making me believe to some extent what Ahmadu Bello said about them ---- this is why the "GOOD MAN" Obi may find it very difficult to become Nigeria's President of Nigeria because his people are busy making enmity for him ----- there is something about them- feeling so superior above everyone - not a good thing undecided

before anyone call me a tribalist here - please follow my history on nairaland - I have always been Pro-Ibos here - BUT on this blind argument on the word "Aza" - which they are claiming so blindly - I am watching their behavior now with keen interest angry

please watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_odAy4rVz8&t=7s

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by NaMe4: 2:53am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

The bini meaning is treasury or savings, according to some folks here.

The igbo meaning is digits, numbers or account number according to the dictionary.

Now apply this information you have to a time such as the 10th Century, and make an assessment of which was the original.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by nwachinemel(m): 3:36am On Feb 15
LoveLeadsLand:

Just because Wikipedia said it doesn't mean it is Igbo. I'm Igbo but I'm not familiar with the word. Give an example of its usage in an Igbo sentence if you are sure of what you are saying.

Aza Ekwentị is ìgbo word for Phone Number .
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by ABC101FF: 3:53am On Feb 15
Zooposki:

The talk does not even sound Igbo. When did you guys start doing yahoo yahoo? Abeg send me your aza. Does that sentence sound like what an igbo boy would say or a benin boy?
Accept correction and move on. The word (not a slang) azà means numbers or treasure hunt in Igbo language. There's no such word as "aza" in the Benin or any other Edo language. Again, IT IS NOT A SLANG. Wikipedia can be written or edited by anyone with basic HTML knowledge.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by scobaba: 3:59am On Feb 15
Weda it's Igbo or from benin.

Aza became popular when Davido used it and he picked it from the NBM lingos for money which he just joined then..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Alexlalax1(m): 4:07am On Feb 15
AutomaticMotors:
Ibo ppl funny sha grin

Just see this one below

Emeka I don dey wait make you throw the first insult and if you run go dey play victim now that I have come for you like your ppl are known for na Ogun go baptise your pelebe head!!For your mind, you are making sense abi? Sense is very far from you. Ewu Gambia!!!

Make I give you reference for my own lingo again abi this OZUOR dey ment!! Where did you think Burna Boy got that "Aza" word from = His Cult
And Where did Aye Confraternity originate From? = Edo

What Language is Aye cult basic baming words based on = Edo

I no blame you sha na Burna Boy and davido I blame mey make Jew men with pelebe head like your own con dey use words mey Dem no understand dey catch cruise!!
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Okada691: 4:14am On Feb 15
ABC101FF:
Accept correction and move on. The word (not a slang) azà means numbers or treasure hunt in Igbo language. There's no such word as "aza" in the Benin or any other Edo language. Again, IT IS NOT A SLANG. Wikipedia can be written or edited by anyone with basic HTML knowledge.
there is such word as Aza in the Benin language and that of the Igbo was invariably gotten from it

Reference: an Edo-English dictionary by R.N.AGHEYISI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 4:15am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

"but this word doesn’t sound Igbo"

and your proceeded to use the word as an igbo word in an igbo sentence as example. Even though it has another meaning in that example.
Dont you think you are contradicting yourself?

Below is an igbo dictionary that states the meaning of aza in igbo with also an example.
I think you should try and study your language very well.

Contradicting myself?? How?. We learn everyday sir. In the context that it’s being used here, I didn’t think it was Igbo word however, you’ve provided links or sources to back up your claim.

I mentioned that it doesn’t sound Igbo just like ‘Olayinka’ doesn’t sound Igbo but you know that Ola has a meaning in Igbo. Ayodele also doesn’t sound Igbo but if you break it down, you’d get a weird meaning.

I’m not disputing your claim. I’ve never heard any Igbo person refer to piggybank as aza.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 4:25am On Feb 15
ogbonti:

God bless you -- those here claiming "aza" as their language even when we know it is a Bini word are making me believe to some extent what Ahmadu Bello said about them ---- this is why the "GOOD MAN" Obi may find it very difficult to become Nigeria's President of Nigeria because his people are busy making enmity for him ----- there is something about them- feeling so superior above everyone - not a good thing undecided

before anyone call me a tribalist here - please follow my history on nairaland - I have always been Pro-Ibos here - BUT on this blind argument on the word "Aza" - which they are claiming so blindly - I am watching their behavior now with keen interest angry

please watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_odAy4rVz8&t=7s

Yes, you are a tribalist, instigator and Igbos should avoid people like you in real life. You could be worse than people like Reno Omokri.

If you had to use Ahmadu Bello’s bitter and hate filled speech to back your paranoia, you could be worse than him.

I’m Igbo and our language is vast. I’ve NEVER of any Igbo person use the word aza in the context that it’s being claim and discussed here.

If anyone know the town, people or place that use that word, kindly mention them. I don’t think it’s enough to Wikipedia. Mention the Igbo towns/people who use this word.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Okada691: 4:32am On Feb 15
KosiGee:

Yes, you are tribalism, instigator and Igbos should avoid people like you in real life. You could be worse than people like Reno Omokri.

If you had to use Ahmadu Bello’s bitter and hate filled speech to back your paranoia, you could be worse than him.

I’m Igbo and our language is vast. I’ve NEVER of any Igbo person use the word aza in the context that it’s being claim and discussed here.

If anyone know the town, people or place that use that word, kindly mention them. I don’t think it’s enough to Wikipedia. Mention the Igbo towns/people who use this word.
it is a borrowed word into your language and lexicon that is why its meaning is fluctuating between number or phone number to bank in your language. It is not stable. That is why many igbos innately seem not to be able to relate with it

It is an Edo word

An English-Edo dictionary by R.N.AGHEYISI

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by lesson44: 4:35am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number
AZA literally means account in Benin language. I believe the popular used came from there.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by lesson44: 4:41am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

You heard it first in benin, does not mean it originated from Benin. It's not a benin word, it's an igbo word.
I head it means digits in Igbo language. But in Benin language, it means saving account. . It fair to say, the word was made popular by the Edo’s.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ologbo147: 4:45am On Feb 15
lesson44:
I head it means digits in Igbo language. But in Benin language, it means saving account. . It fair to say, the word was made popular by the Edo’s.
it originated from Edo, was loaned to the Igbos and aiye confraternity that was founded in Benin city in 1977. It is the aiye boys of Davido, Burna boy that popularized it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ekaka14: 4:53am On Feb 15
Ok...make all of una wey dey fight over this word just send ne una "Aza" and just gettat angry
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by highoctane: 4:54am On Feb 15
Blame it on Buhari aza ruum
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Federalis: 5:01am On Feb 15
To confuse you.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by saddler: 5:06am On Feb 15
HNICEARTH:

Another take. Some said it means treasury. I don't dispute all those takes. But it's also an igbo word for digits, numbers or account number
Account number in a Nigerian language?

When did the concept of Account numbers come into use that igbo language has a word for it?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Federalis: 5:12am On Feb 15
OceanEye:
A client once told me to send my aza. I was confused and had to Google the meaning before replying him.

Nah alaye...
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by saddler: 5:12am On Feb 15
ABC101FF:
Are you just spewing trash ignorantly or intentionally?

Many people have come out on this thread to tell you Aza in Edo means where something is stored especially money and you still went ahead to write rubbish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by dandollaz: 5:17am On Feb 15
Portugese
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by aswani(m): 5:45am On Feb 15
Solofresh2:
Aza is a Yoruba word for digits meaning, drop your account digits
Argue with your ancestors tongue

Yoruba no get Z for dere alphabet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 5:46am On Feb 15
Showguyz:

Is like people for SE dey like argument abi them no install Google for una phone or your opera mini daily bundle has finished? I told you that Bini empire once dominated western Igbo and even discovered onitsha instead of you to Google and verify or go ask your igwe(if you have one) you are crying propaganda
EMEKA I EVEN SAW YOU FELLOW CHUWU HERE SAY AZA IS IGBO FOR ACCOUNT NUMBER PLEASE FELLOW NAIRALANDER WASN'T ACCOUNT NUMBER INVENTED IN THIS MODERN ERA BUT IN BENIN IT MEAN A PLACE WHERE YOU SAVE Money EVEN IN ACCIENT TIMES. SO OBI CRY YOURSELF TO SLEEP

Your argument is childish and saying that account number was invented in this modern makes you look silly.

Firstly, like I’ve mentioned before, I’m Igbo but I’ve never heard or seen any of my folks use the word aza to refer to digits, numbers or anything associated with banks/bank account.

Nevertheless, Igbos have been trading and using the banks before you were born and before Nigeria gained independence. Banks have been in existence in Nigeria and patronised even before 1950s and much earlier than that. Are you saying that people who use the banks then wouldn’t have coined a word for bank accounts?

There would’ve been terms for such but I’ve never heard of aza being used in that context. As an Anambra man, I’ve also never met any Anambra man or been to any place that use that word…that’s for all of you saying Igbos are ‘dragists’….but the fact that I’ve never heard or seen anyone use it doesn’t mean there might not be Igbo people or some places who use that. I can’t speak for everyone….it’ll be nice for those providing dictionary translations to also help us by mentioning some parts of Igbo land where this word is popular.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 6:00am On Feb 15
saddler:

When did the concept of Account numbers come into use that igbo language has a word for it?

I don’t think or believe that aza means account number in Igbo but as for when Igbos started using account umbers or banks You were probably born yesterday and your grandfather was probably born before 1960.
What is wrong with people like you?

Banks came into Nigeria before 1900, this was before Zik, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello, Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu were all born?
Igbos and other ethnic groups were trading and using the banks as at then. Does it mean that someone or some of those active bank customers at the time didn’t have names, words or terms for certain financial/bank operations?

Banking operations didn’t start today mister and you didn’t have to be a graduate or highly literate to use it then.

Do you not have a word for bank in your language

Igbo word for bank is Unoaku. This has been in use before your great grand father was born.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 6:05am On Feb 15
Tallesty1:
Nah, not pastor.

Evangelist is better, rugged evangelist.

lols, crazy but special days mean nothing to me. Christmass, Easter, Val, Birthday etc. They are just another day as far as I am concerned.

Why go to bed now wey I just dey come? I dey pursue you?

Lol. Pele oh, rugged Evangelist.

Oh I see.

Early to bed, early to rise. grin grin
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by puzzlegate(m): 6:12am On Feb 15
thesicilian:
Igbo people sha
I fear who no fear them
They can drag anything draggable
Either they are dragging Lagos with the yorubas, or asaba with the deltans, or words that originated in other tribes as their own. Soon they'll start dragging Malaysia with the owners
dragging ASABA with Deltans ? What do you mean ? Asaba is a full Igbo land. Stopp deceiving people !
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 6:23am On Feb 15
saddler:

Every group of people have their civilization at different times. Maybe you should try to read that up. Account number doesn't necessarily mean bank account number, could also mean a sort of identification for savings amongst group of people. Reading is key

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Naira Now Undervalued After Float, Bank Of America Says / Femi Otedola Celebrates Children's Day With Photo Of His 4 Children / I Can't Transfer Money Without NIN, Pls Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.