Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,362 members, 7,815,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car (33415 Views)

Wahala! Tesla Being Charged By "I Pass My Neighbour" / My Car In Police Custody?? / Help! My Car Is Leaking Oil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by GeneralJB(m): 8:17pm On Feb 16
As far as this case is concerned, agreement has been done, payment fully received, deal closed.
You had a rethink after receiving the final payment. What if he sold some valuable stuffs too or took loan to get the payment done.
I think you have two options here, pay him back with interest or hand over his car key to him and count your loss.

5 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by pek(m): 8:18pm On Feb 16
gaby:

Succinctly put.

Exactly my sentiments.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by tojahh(m): 8:20pm On Feb 16
You're looking for pity.

Give the guy his car and documents. You kept his money in your account and do whatever you pleased with it, now you come dey talk story.

If the price of the car was reduced by half, shey you go gree collect half payment since you're doing gentleman agreement.

4 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by esosuo: 8:20pm On Feb 16
How long did you hold on to his money mr poster ? If na months you can’t just agree on something and hold his money for so long and just change mind like that na , reason am before you go dash police money my brother because the matter won’t Favour you .

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Majatechworks: 8:25pm On Feb 16
[quote author=Ombre post=128477807] grin[/quote

Dearest bro, forget all those flexing muscle online. Do you know that verbal agreements are tenable in the court of law? Also he paid in full before you think you wise, if them born you well, harken unto those that saying rubbish.
You better find a way to pacify him as some wise ppl have suggested.

6 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by chloride6: 8:27pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.

You are a thief.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Vicana: 8:29pm On Feb 16
You guys have to find a way to settle it amicably. But what I want to understand, if the money had gotten you the smaller engine you wouldn't have returned the money? You waited till he made full payment before you returned the money? While you were seeing the increase of things you didn't start finding a black goat in the day time? That man will win you oh, the verbal agreement had been sealed and delivered by making full payment, what you are acting on is after thought.
Installments requires higher pay, it shows you didn't think well before acting.
he just need serious plea maybe from elders and additional money before he releases your car. If he insists, nothing go come out.

If he wasn't your neighbor nko.
If it was vice versa, what would you have done? In all honesty.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:29pm On Feb 16
Involve police ASAP.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Munzy14(m): 8:29pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.
Oga to be honest, if I am that man, you will pay interest. I mean who does such a childish business.
You have no excuse, whatever brand of vehicle you wanted to buy, has been purchased, Cleared and placed at car stand. YOU have internet knowledge and can Google on prices as well before you decided to sell your old car.
So dollar fluctuations is not a valid excuse.

You acted childish. How can you be that indecisive as a man?
You caused an embarrassment to that buyer..That man has announced to his people that he is getting a new car, only for you to deny his dream after he has paid.

Well you will involve police, but bear it in mind you have to lose to gain in this battle.

He will run a shyloc on you...
What ever amount you took and refunded, you will do a 0.75% interest rate, multiply it daily and for the duration you held his money, that is the compound interest you will return together with his capital money.

He can call police and put a claim, you defrauded him by fraudulently collecting his money as loan without Interest.
You brought this upon yourself. lipsrsealed

Indecision smh

4 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Bobochicago: 8:30pm On Feb 16
DJInfluence:

Written or not, you had a contract. Ever heard of oral contact? You should honour the contract. It's not your neighbour's fault that you couldn't get another car at a cheaper price. In develop countries, if your neighbour decides to buy another car elsewhere at a much higher price, you will have to pay the difference in the higher price. You basically reneged on your obligation and it's a crime. Give him his car and document.

Update!!
Those posts supporting you are ignorant of the law. And are talking from emotions. Law has no emotion. What's wrong is wrong and you my dear are wrong.

I wasn’t going to respond , but your comment made me to . Op is a dishonest businessman, I agree . But legally ?? There is no case . There were no witness , and no legal documents. So it’s their word against OP. It’s a case of “he said “ , “she said “ , “she didn’t say “ . Op can say the money was transfered to his account as a loan which he has promptly repaid with evidence. It’s all word of mouth at this point . No evidence . The law is based on fact and evidence. It’s a lesson for everyone , even if na your brother , make sure you put pen to paper and sign with witnesses as well. It’s hard to defend cases without evidence . Op would likely win in court .

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Boyjaco: 8:32pm On Feb 16
are you a baby
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by esiri4jesu(m): 8:32pm On Feb 16
Ombre:
grin
I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car.

The car belongs to the guy since he has completed payment. Handover the particulars with an apology

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by chatinent: 8:33pm On Feb 16
You used him tho. Not so fair. After an "informal" agreement and he paid all, you refunded him the money. I would think you collected money to solve a problem... I would think you played a smart on me too. It's my car now and you refunded me without my approval. I don't wanna resell my car. The dollar rate is no business of mine since I've paid you completely. Hand over the keys and document of my new car. The police may not save you.

Stop being greedy.

I'm sure there's more to the story and that more will not still be the neighbor’s fault.

5 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Besuccesful: 8:33pm On Feb 16
Op, you are wrong in this case. He has finish paying the money as agreed. Meaning you are to hand over his car to him. If you invite police in this case you will lose more. Your best bet now is to find who will beg your neighbor ooooo. You are at fault.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by fineboynl(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16
He rush to pay the money because he believed the deal was good. And he fear things might change if he delays and also you might find a better offer. He might even borrow money just to fasting it and hoping it complete the payment at once. Also for you to return the money just like that. What if he borrow that money at 30% interest rate?

Give him the car key or negotiate a settlement. You should not drive that csr again even if you settle with him. This is Africa you might had accident with it.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by GOATandYAMtheory: 8:34pm On Feb 16
Atk1nson:

The good thing is he paid by instalment.

In the normal course of business, title is not transferred until full payment is made.

So even if you made a commitment to sell to him upon (full) payment, the fact that you rescinded the decision before he made full payment puts you in the green.

However, if he can prove he did borrow to make that purchase, you may owe him the interest on the loan as he took the loan because you gave him a legitimate expectation that the car could be his.

However, if he has made full payment, that becomes tricky as you are reneging on a verbal contract and should compensate him well for the inconvenience
didnt you see the part where he said he received the last installment? 😂
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by ruffDiamond: 8:35pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.
correct man .i no too believe in all this gentlemanly approach myself... after abeg,I no go listen to any other things again! nobody get Monopoly of werey angry .. that's why Fela said he's NO GENTLE MAN as far as naija is concerned! arrange to add to add small change to the initial money ,if e no still gree ,then Change am for am too!make sure you get enough evidence just in case

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by BitterTruth01: 8:35pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Get a lawyer involved
Do you have a friend or family member heist a layer ?

They’ll be able to argue the finer points better on your behalf at the police station

Be prepared to pay him compensation of up to 50k or even more sef
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by polycarp65: 8:36pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Call the Police and arrest the bastard
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by chatinent: 8:37pm On Feb 16
Bobochicago:

I wasn’t going to respond , but your comment made me to . Op is a dishonest businessman, I agree . But legally ?? There is no case . There were no witness , and no legal documents. So it’s their word against OP. It’s a case of “he said “ , “she said “ , “she didn’t say “ . Op can say the money was transfered to his account as a loan which he has promptly repaid with evidence. It’s all word of mouth at this point . No evidence . The law is based on fact and evidence. It’s a lesson for everyone , even if na your brother , make sure you put pen to paper and sign with witnesses as well. It’s hard to defend cases without evidence . Op would likely win in court .

He is dishonest. Yes.

In court, no case. Yes.

In the street, en go collect run.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Adeevah(m): 8:38pm On Feb 16
Just get your lawyer involved before reporting to a police station nearest to you.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by chatinent: 8:39pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.

Talk is cheap. Wait until it's me you try to play dishonesty with. You will lose the car, the house you live in, the respect, and lose weight.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by stagger: 8:40pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Go to the police.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Christlike01: 8:40pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Why did you have to wait till after the last installment was paid before you reneged on the agreement and decided not to sell the car again ? If you care to tell us,how long did it take him to balance up ? For whatever period it was,you waited till the last installment was paid before you told him that you were not selling again ! Who does that,bro ?!

The only way to pacify him is to pay interest on the money he paid for the car. You need to be quick about that before you lose both ways if you understand what I mean ! You may lose that car to vandalisation,it becomes worthless and you won't be able to sell it again to buy your preferred car.

Go with the "Elegbon Adugbos" to pacify that guy before it's too late. If you however think you can "use force" to achieve your objective, good luck to you.

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by CaptainFM1: 8:40pm On Feb 16
Atk1nson:

The good thing is he paid by instalment.

In the normal course of business, title is not transferred until full payment is made.

So even if you made a commitment to sell to him upon (full) payment, the fact that you rescinded the decision before he made full payment puts you in the green.

However, if he can prove he did borrow to make that purchase, you may owe him the interest on the loan as he took the loan because you gave him a legitimate expectation that the car could be his.

However, if he has made full payment, that becomes tricky as you are reneging on a verbal contract and should compensate him well for the inconvenience

Money is money irrespective of the source. He doesn't have to borrow for the seller to know he owes him interest. The seller is trying to play smart having found out that the price of the car had gone up with the current galloping in the economy. At the point the guy made his last payment for the car, the car becomes the buyers own, but the seller not happy simply because the economy has gone Venezuelan.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by KingAzubuike(f): 8:41pm On Feb 16
The guy felt cheated now. Like you used his money to sort out an emergency. Anybody would get pissed off .

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by xandy84: 8:41pm On Feb 16
You're completely wrong here. The buyer and seller aggreed to do business and the buyer fulfill his part of the deal which makes him the owner of the car. The seller CANNOT unilaterally change the term of agreement without the consent of the buyer and if the buyer disagree, nothing can be change.
Will the OP change his mind if he has sells the car to call dealership who already paid him and take possession of the car and documents? Nope and same treatment should be applied to the neighbor.

Capernum:

TO avoid unnecessary troubles, add a little interest on it. If he still goes ahead to cause wahala... Get him arrested, make sure you're the first party to report to the police. Pay the interest first o. It's important, that is the only way you can be exonerated. Pay at least 10% interest so it won't be a bad bussiness for him altogether. That is wisdom.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Automolite: 8:42pm On Feb 16
Ur neighbor wan cashout, no gree.

Make we all display madness. Pay police or army for security. Hire tow truck, tow those vehicles away, tow ur moto comot

Report am to police station, say if anything happens to ur moto, make them old am responsible.

No follow am negotiate again, take action.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sammirano: 8:43pm On Feb 16
Agreement is agreement. The word of a man should mean something. Seller, you are wrong.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by dododawa1: 8:47pm On Feb 16
Give him COOL 🍺

And

Interest on d previous payment.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Mandem2: 8:47pm On Feb 16
MarketDispatch:

Agreement is agreement...you kept his money and made it lose value in your account...give the man his Car since he didn't renege on the payment
3 Gbosas for you!!! OP unfortunately you didn't do your homework before entering into the agreement with him. OK imagine the opposite of this situation. Your neighbor sees a car cheaper than the car you have agreed to sell to him and he requests for his money back? How would you feel? Last last just settle him with a bit more money than he gave you to "die" di mata.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Work In Progress (vw Beetle) / Mercedes Celebrate G-Class 40th Anniversary With 3 “Stronger Than Time” Editions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.