Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car (33356 Views)

Wahala! Tesla Being Charged By "I Pass My Neighbour" / My Car In Police Custody?? / Help! My Car Is Leaking Oil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by femi4: 8:48pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.
You are at fault. You can't win the case anywhere. Agreement is agreement , you can't shift a goal post in the middle of a match.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Mandem2: 8:49pm On Feb 16
ExudeLoveToAll:
Transaction has been completed without you even knowing.

If I was your neighbor, I will proceed to a court and have an injunction restraining you or anyone from driving that car until the suite has been entertained by the court to determine the legitimate owner of that vehicle.

Mind you this suit can take five years to determine, no issue will drive that vehicle and the good thing is that he already has his money back as a guarantee meaning he has nothing to loose in making life difficult for you as a dishonest business man.

An oral agreement is admissible in court mind you and he has bank transactions to corroborate his oral evidence. People like you who think you can repudiate an agreement when the other party has fully complied with the terms of the agreement should be taught shown a precedence so that you don't do it to other people in the future.

In your mind you are smart, you don't even know the buyer has lost money because of future value of money. That you find yourself in this predicament has nothing to do with the buyer, business has been completed and there is nothing you can do about it. No court will give you custody of that vehicle of this matter gets to court.

The best for you is to seek peaceful settlement outside of the court process else you will loose everywhere.
Rightly said. Sadly in Naija we know dey understand agreement. Once e nor favor one party na how to renege from the agreement dem go dey find.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by CaptainFM1: 8:49pm On Feb 16
Bobochicago:

I wasn’t going to respond , but your comment made me to . Op is a dishonest businessman, I agree . But legally ?? There is no case . There were no witness , and no legal documents. So it’s their word against OP. It’s a case of “he said “ , “she said “ , “she didn’t say “ . Op can say the money was transfered to his account as a loan which he has promptly repaid with evidence. It’s all word of mouth at this point . No evidence . The law is based on fact and evidence. It’s a lesson for everyone , even if na your brother , make sure you put pen to paper and sign with witnesses as well. It’s hard to defend cases without evidence . Op would likely win in court .

The instalmental payments are enough evidences.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Anguldi(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:
Dear Family landers. I am here to seek your advice on how to rescue my car from my neighbour.

I bought a car, direct from abroad, a very clean and sweet ride, and registered in September, 2023 (5months ago). However, due to the high fuel consumption( V6, 3.5l engine) and the ever unstable fuel price today, I decided to put it up for sale to get a smaller engine capacity. A neighbour expressed interest in buying the car and decided to pay in installment which I agreed. I was also searching for a replacement at this time hoping to use the money realized from the sales to get my preferred ride. My preferred ride prices were shockingly high such that even if I doubled the price I gave to my neighbour it will still not be enough to buy the new ride. Prices rise by the hour these days in Nigeria and I have no hand in this crisis. I returned to my neighbour to inform him that I will not be selling the car anymore due to the present crises in prices of goods in the country. I apologized profusely for every inconvenience and transferred his money back to him. He got angry and said that I must submit the car key and documents to him. He even threatened to send his community and area boys to beat me up and extract the above items.

I came back from work to see my car jacked up, surrounded by 2 other vehicles to prevent the car's exit. For the records, there is no written or signed agreement between him and I concerning this sale. I refunded all his money 1 day after he paid his last installment and kept back my car. I have no hand in Nigeria's current problems. I am pushed to use force here but I am thinking that some initial peaceful resolution could be an option.
Do you know whether he sold his properties to give you the money? You sef.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sexyto(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16
Before the law(law of contract) you are in breach because there was consideration and it was fully discharged by the buyer. The agreement here is said to be IMPLIED by nature. If he is wise he should drag you to court. Or you settle it amicably by adding a percentage to the money returned to calm him.
Always think b4 you act. Your word should be your bond.
Put yourself in his place and reason it.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by olibeans: 8:51pm On Feb 16
Get the police involved and get out of that compound ASAP
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by anthonioo(m): 8:51pm On Feb 16
I believe he knows the price of cars have gone up so he wanted to take advantage of u and paying installments is another way to spoil ur money for u
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Bluffly: 8:52pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Can you here yourself. You refunded after he paid the last installment. How many installment did he pay and over what duration?
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by HopeGying: 8:53pm On Feb 16
A simple case. Hand over the car's key to him without argument. You have no right whatsoever to claim the car ownership after he made the last installment payment. Next time learn to think twice before initiating a deal like this.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by nedekid: 8:54pm On Feb 16
Oga, as long as you have not transfered ownership to him ie deed of sale and change of ownership documents, the vehicle remains yours.
Can someone pay you for a house and then claim ownership without you handing over documents to him?
He cannot take the law into his hands, if he has any issues he should sue you for breach of contract, but based on which documentation? What if you had doubts about his source of income and hence backed out, feeling his money may be illicit? Abi what does he do for a living?
Guy, stand your ground. Take your vehicle, if he tries any bullshit, report him to the police. If he moves the vehicle without your permission that is theft. Infact you should report the jacking ie tampering of your vehicle and so the blocking. Don't let anyone intimidate you!
Same thing my guy got a deposit for his corolla from a neighbor, when he saw how prices were rising, he backed out, refunded the money, shikena.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Kdon2: 8:54pm On Feb 16
Ombre:
grin

Fiction😜
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by sanmisamuel: 8:54pm On Feb 16
Think of it this way,

You sold your car to him, with the agreement of him owning the car for a period of 1 year upon completion of payment . (Hire purchase)

He drove the car and after 1 year he realized he could get the same car at half the price. He offered to return your car in exchange for he’s money. How would you feel.?

Ok let me just add. That you used an escrow service and he can take all the money he paid back at will.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by colestephan86: 8:54pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

Never do any verbal agreement most especially when money is involved.
He go win u in this case, he said he will pay instalment ally, which he did, now u refunded him his money a day after he paid the last installment, u sef u go accept that?
For relationships sakes, plead with him to add some more money to the money for u, if he doesn't move on, you learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Caaz: 8:57pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:

Nah why e good to get street credibility be that, there is no how way him street cred go pass my own, anywhere I live, my street credibility nah top notch, e get why
The job still de open o
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by xandy84: 8:58pm On Feb 16
The neighbor is not cashing out. I paid the agreed price and the car belong to him. The OP is at wrong here. Will you be OK if someone sell you a phone, you paid him and when he get to Computer village to buy a new phone, realizing the price difference, he comes back and ask to return your money and collect his phone?
The OP should do the most honorable thing here. Either pay interest or collect the money and let the buyer has his car. We all lose some.

Automolite:
Ur neighbor wan cashout, no gree.

Make we all display madness. Pay police or army for security. Hire tow truck, tow those vehicles away, tow ur moto comot

Report am to police station, say if anything happens to ur moto, make them old am responsible.

No follow am negotiate again, take action.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Sucre6: 8:58pm On Feb 16
chatinent:

Talk is cheap. Wait until it's me you try to play dishonesty with. You will lose the car, the house you live in, the respect, and lose weight.

This talk is even cheaper because you don't know who the hell u dealing with, hold your horses and wish it's between me and you, then you find out first hand
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Sucre6: 8:59pm On Feb 16
Caaz:

The job still de open o

Lemme think about it grin
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by colestephan86: 9:00pm On Feb 16
GeneralJB:
As far as this case is concerned, agreement has been done, payment fully received, deal closed.
You had a rethink after receiving the final payment. What if he sold some valuable stuffs too or took loan to get the payment done.
I think you have two options here, pay him back with interest or hand over his car key to him and count your loss.
Medulaoblongata dey your head.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by badoh(m): 9:01pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:
See finish no good, same reason I relate with my neighbors on superficial level and they gimme my respect 100%, my intimidating muscular stature alone would make anyone think twice before acting laidat to me, it wasn't written, and it's instalmental, I have refunded all the money to you, what else do you want, dem no born that basstard well. I will beat you up, personally, use area boys to make life miserable for you as in they will be chasing you anytime you coming back from work and going to work,

I no get time to report to police, but believe me, this matter too small for me to handle. Them no born am well.
Rubbish. Intimidating stature that will collapse with one shot. What concerns stature with what require intellectual suggestions. Na people like you soldiers go handle begin cry like a toddler.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Caaz: 9:01pm On Feb 16
Sucre6:

Lemme think about it grin
Ok
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by youngrichnigga: 9:01pm On Feb 16
By your statement here, he had completed payments but you returned his money only when you discovered the car you planned to buy was now not attainable any longer due to cost. This is a sort of breach in the unwritten contract if you look at it critically. At this point, just discuss and find an amicable settlement point with your neighbor, you cannot win in court. undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Streetmovement(m): 9:02pm On Feb 16
Wotoporiously cool speaking

You're too soft for the street...op

Your neighbor wan play you street, better carry body before he carry you handicap.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Berankis: 9:02pm On Feb 16
Why are you seeking advice when you know what you did is wrong. You are simply selfish and thoughtless. It's not about the refund anymore, but high hopes and inconveniences caused. You take whatever happens... You will be the loser in this case, I am sure.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by emmaattack: 9:06pm On Feb 16
Verbal Agreement is a Valid Agreement Anydsy. You messed up.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Naijaepic: 9:06pm On Feb 16
Don't you think there's possibility of WhatsApp message exchange between the two of them?

Bobochicago:

I wasn’t going to respond , but your comment made me to . Op is a dishonest businessman, I agree . But legally ?? There is no case . There were no witness , and no legal documents. So it’s their word against OP. It’s a case of “he said “ , “she said “ , “she didn’t say “ . Op can say the money was transfered to his account as a loan which he has promptly repaid with evidence. It’s all word of mouth at this point . No evidence . The law is based on fact and evidence. It’s a lesson for everyone , even if na your brother , make sure you put pen to paper and sign with witnesses as well. It’s hard to defend cases without evidence . Op would likely win in court .
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by PepeXKermit: 9:08pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

we have alot of fools in Nigeria and i see why Tinubu or other useless people always still b ecome president. Nigerians have been so deep into a skewed mentality that hearing them speak will baffle and unbaffle you. You had an agreement with a buyer and the buyer paid you in full, but you went back to him to tell him you arer no longer interested in selling the car and he said no, and you still think the car belongs to you? I am also seeing some people here even supporting the seller saying street cred... i laugh out loud. what you need to be doing is begging and rolling on the floor to your neighbour and stop calling the car yours, it is not yours. You lost car and money. This is the same scenario of an employee who was receiving more than their salary every month and did not go back to inform their employer that there is a descrepancy in what he wasbeing paid for months. other useless commenters were there talking bullsheet, saying how can an employer increase your salary and not tell you and later stop it. Nigerians are bleeped up peopple and I can imaginie that its the hardship that they have faced over time that make them think illogically and calling it logic and being smart. Useless people.

2 Likes

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Jayboi(m): 9:09pm On Feb 16
Bros. Forget about no written agreement o. At least his money entered Ur account and stayed there for a certain period. It's still a gentleman's agreement. Better you beg him with interest or give am the car jeje.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Mandem2: 9:11pm On Feb 16
laivwire:
This is just like the Gazzuzz case back then.

Buyer fully paid for TV but didn't come to pick it up yet, seller got a better offer and sold the TV and offered to return money to buyer. Kolewerk.

As soon as full payment has been made, na transfer of ownership remain, nothing else.

Exactly, that's how it should be.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Mandem2: 9:12pm On Feb 16
We4all:
Dude, take the money and give him the car back or go and sell the car to another buyer. Under no circumstances should you drive that car again or you may regret it.

As an after thought, I must confess that you were wrong for reneging on the agreement but your neighbor is also troublesome for trying to challenge you. It's obvious you guys don't have a cordial relationship or he wouldn't be acting this way.
Well said
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by PepeXKermit: 9:12pm On Feb 16
olibeans:
Get the police involved and get out of that compound ASAP

Get the police involved in what exactly? Afe you foolish to think that the car still belongs to the seller? Even if the buyer has not paid in full within the specified agreement date?
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by Abduletudaye(m): 9:15pm On Feb 16
Missowombo:

1. Looking at the time value of the money he paid, then there might be the problem.

2. Written/signed contract in my opinion wont cut it. As long as there was a verbal agreement which is further cemented with the car & money, then there was a contract.

3. He wouldnt be wrong to keep the car, afteral, you also confirmed that he finished paying.

4. You have buyers remorse as a result of the dwindling economy (which is of course no fault of yours) but you could have also forcasted this before buying the car in the first place.
Re: My Neighbour Jacked Up My Car by PepeXKermit: 9:17pm On Feb 16
nedekid:
Oga, as long as you have not transfered ownership to him ie deed of sale and change of ownership documents, the vehicle remains yours.
Can someone pay you for a house and then claim ownership without you handing over documents to him?
He cannot take the law into his hands, if he has any issues he should sue you for breach of contract, but based on which documentation? What if you had doubts about his source of income and hence backed out, feeling his money may be illicit? Abi what does he do for a living?
Guy, stand your ground. Take your vehicle, if he tries any bullshit, report him to the police. If he moves the vehicle without your permission that is theft. Infact you should report the jacking ie tampering of your vehicle and so the blocking. Don't let anyone intimidate you!
Same thing my guy got a deposit for his corolla from a neighbor, when he saw how prices were rising, he backed out, refunded the money, shikena.

You guys are fullish. You who is a seller having doubts about how a full geown adult, not minor, got the money to pay you for goods and service? 🤡

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria / Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos) / Work In Progress (vw Beetle)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.