Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,270 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement (16967 Views)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / "Relocating To Canada Is A Huge Achievement" - Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by natedroid: 9:05am On Feb 23
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pansophist(m): 9:31am On Feb 23
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

Japa is not an achievement. It is just a location change.

164 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Jajasabali(m): 10:06am On Feb 23
Make I japa first
I go answer you from there

120 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by CaveAdullam: 11:26am On Feb 23
X
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Fren232: 12:33pm On Feb 23
Japa is not an achievement, its an opportunity for new beginning. It is what you do with that opportunity that matters.

164 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by ednut1(m): 2:20pm On Feb 23
natedroid:
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?
because people want options. All the elites/ politicians kids usually have their kids abroad for dual citizenship.

Earning power due to exchange rate is also high. If you choose to see it as a big achievement that one is on you. The Europeans also didn’t stay in their own continent they invaded and populated places like the america, Australia, southern africa, hong kong etc..

Before Europeans ( Portuguese)came in contact with us in southern Nigeria we had different people living in kingdoms, nation states, some nomads, some hunter gatherers. We relied on agriculture/ hunting / trade for survival. The northern part already had contact with islam and the arab world and there was trade all the way from Kano to Mali to Ottoman Empire. Economy was also agro based( leather and grains). The rulers were rich, there was the common class and there were slaves.

147 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Schrodinger2(m): 3:13pm On Feb 23
natedroid:

Firstly, you have to define what an achievement is to you before you ask this somewhat rhetorical question. Similarly, the lack of all you mentioned, is also nothing to be proud of in Nigeria.

The environment and system in the West gives you the avenue to make meaningful accomplishments and achieve legitimately far more than you could have if you stayed back. Wouldn't you want to grab that opportunity? That's what Japa is meant for. However, when you guys can't Japa, you begin to console yourselves with ridiculous threads like this.

Quality education, careers, and food abundance with ripple effects of other forms of success can not be said to be anything less than an achievement which is lacked by many in that country.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Gerrard59(m): 6:16pm On Feb 23
natedroid:

You don't need a soothsayer to tell you otherwise. Black Africa is decades behind civilisation. It is one of the reasons black people who aren't from countries in black Africa don't want to associate with the continent. No one likes to associate with poor people.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pocohantas(f): 6:50pm On Feb 23
This question is similar to another common question - IS MARRIAGE AN ACHIEVEMENT?

People would say NO when

SET 1: They have it and are enjoying all the perks it gives or has given them. So now it looks normal to them or they want to sound modest/politically correct. When they were fighting to pass IELTS or whatever it is called. They didn't know it is not an achievement. I can't blame this set because if they say YES, set 4 would attack them.

SET 2: They have it and are enjoying nothing.

SET 3: They have looked and there is no hope of japa'ing. Now they have to console themselves.

SET 4: They are steadily in a competition with diasporans. These ones don't want to japa, though they have the means. They just want to stay here and tell you they send money to Nigerians abroad. On NL their work is to analyse the salary wages of Nigerians in the UK and America.

ACHIEVEMENT: something that has been accomplished, esp by hard work, ability, or heroism.

Having the above definition in mind. Japa to a good country via the right means is an achievement to some people. Japa has changed the lives of a whole family because one person managed to crossover.

The people that would tell you NO on this thread would most likely fall into SET 1 or SET 3.

59 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by ednut1(m): 7:12pm On Feb 23
pocohantas:
This question is similar to another common question - IS MARRIAGE AN ACHIEVEMENT?

People would say NO when

SET 1: They have it and are enjoying all the perks it gives or has given them. So now it looks normal to them or they want to sound modest/politically correct. When they were fighting to pass IELTS or whatever it is called. They didn't know it is not an achievement. I can't blame this set because if they say YES, set 4 would attack them.

SET 3: They have looked and there is no hope of japa'ing. Now they have to console themselves.

SET 4: They are steadily in a competition with diasporans. These ones don't want to japa, though they have the means. They just want to stay here and tell you they send money to Nigerians abroad. On NL their work is to analyse the salary wages of Nigerians in the UK and America.

Having the above definition in mind. Japa to a good country via the right means is an achievement to some people. Japa has changed the lives of a whole family because one person managed to crossover.

The two people that would tell you NO on this thread would most likely fall into SET 1 or SET 3.
i have personally exposed some of the set 3 on this nairaland. They tried to japa in the past but are now anti japa. Bunch of hypocrites 🤣

109 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by chidiokay: 8:12pm On Feb 23
pocohantas:

People would say NO when

The two people that would tell you NO on this thread would most likely fall into SET 1 or SET 3.

SET 5 : They are constantly on every diasporan threads looking for hookups, these one don't even know what they want but whatever happens if they find themselves abroad it must not be on there account undecided. They just want to oppress friends and troll their life is better using their spouse. undecided undecided

Achievement is relative to "persons" but the society share a common ground on "achievement" undecided

8 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by chidiokay: 8:23pm On Feb 23
pansophist:
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

No its not a good life, But lets look at it these way, if those people have an investment or something tangible to fall back on in their respective homeland i don't think they will stay back

lemme give you an example of a family friend, he had a good job in Nigeria, as an oga in civil service he travelled without resigning and his loyals covered for him at work... after some months things were not yielding as expected he called home to inquiry about his job .. he took the next flight when he knew his job was still secured

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by falopey: 8:42pm On Feb 23
Depending on how you turn out after Japa. To some that turn out well after japa, it’s an achievement. Otherwise it’s not

4 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pocohantas(f): 9:37pm On Feb 23
ednut1:
i have personally exposed some of the set 3 on this nairaland. They tried to japa in the past but are now anti japa. Bunch of hypocrites 🤣

I have seen you call out some people for that. I understand them not wanting to go again, but the energy and consistency they use to demarket japa is a tad bit much and suspicious.

There is another set that are just not hyped about it. They won't stop you, they won't force you to go either. cheesy

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pansophist(m): 9:38pm On Feb 23
chidiokay:

No its not a good life, But lets look at it these way, if those people have an investment or something tangible to fall back on in their respective homeland i don't think they will stay back

lemme give you an example of a family friend, he had a good job in Nigeria, as an oga in civil service he travelled without resigning and his loyals covered for him at work... after some months things were not yielding as expected he called home to inquiry about his job .. he took the next flight when he knew his job was still secured

The point I am trying to make is that japa is not an achievement. There are also wretched people there as well.

Also, good life is relative, not absolute. You can live in the non west, and have a good life than someone living in the west. That is my point.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by chidiokay: 11:01pm On Feb 23
pansophist:

The point I am trying to make is that japa is not an achievement. There are also wretched people there as well.

Also, good life is relative, not absolute. You can live in the non west, and have a good life than someone living in the west. That is my point.

okay, that is relative and your own perception, but from a societal/general view travelling abroad sure sounds like an "achievement.

I think what you are driving at should be a subtopic, however we can't ignore the fact that the chances of succeeding in a developed, organized and enabling environment are higher

Even the employment rate is a pointer, try plug in on a general spectrum

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by BigDawsNet: 3:51pm On Feb 26
No doubt

Only tru if you travel to a better country like the

US
Australia
Canada
Uk
New Zealand ...

If you very hard working in these countries... you will make it in life... your education doesn't matter like how we carry it for head in naija...

Just menial jobs can make you rich back home..
Having a crazy skills in Tech can earn your Real money..

I know people who earn as low as 40k in Nigeria but manage to japa...now own multi million properties hustling blue collar job abroad....

Also If you wanna travel Abraod..pls learn tech... atleast 6months before departure

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by zuzuonyi: 3:51pm On Feb 26
Well, it all depends on circumstances, interest and life goals. Japa no start today o! Na Baba God start the parole when him order Adam and Eve to japa comot from the beautiful garden of Eden. Again, Father Abraham was quite comfortable where he him dey jejely before Baba God advised am to japa to pursue Him parole. Infact, on a country level, na the Israelites japa pass before Lebanese, Indians and Nigerians come take over due to hunger, curiousity, self development or safety grin.

So, having said that, what's your reason to want to japa? If na ebi'n pa mi, then your reason is very genuine cheesy grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by AllenSpencer: 3:51pm On Feb 26
What achievement?

It depends on what you mean by achievement.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by saasala(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26
Everyone's goal and objectives in life is different.

Japa is an achievement for some and misery for others.

For me, being away from my homeland, my country, my family and friends is not an achievement, it is misery. I cannot live in a strange land where certain people feel I'm less and throw some racial sh1ts at me. I cannot live in a country to do stupid jobs that I will not orginially do in my country.

Nigerians are too money conscious. To them making more and more money is success. This is why you see someone earning a good income, have a small house to his name and feeds well seek 'greener' pasture. They go ahead to sell their house, cars and other properties just to go and find more money.

I make enough to eat, feed myself and family, own a small car, and live in a comfortable rented apartment. If you tell me to come abroad and earn 2 million dollars monthly, I wont go. I'm okay with that I have. I don't need the 2m monthly in a foreign land.

Why do most Nigerians who japa send money home to build a house? Because they have intentions to come back home once they hit around 50 years. Your home will always be Naija. If you like go for 30 years, your home will always call you.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Skillsnigeria: 3:52pm On Feb 26
Hmmm
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by merits(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26
natedroid:

All I know is blessings come from above not abroad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Eriokanmi: 3:53pm On Feb 26
It depends
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by donbrowser(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26
Hmmm
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Vlibray: 3:53pm On Feb 26
Travelling is just travelling. At least that's the way it should be.
But then again, the current economic situation of the country has made it seem like an achievement.
My advice to anyone trying to leave Nigeria.
1. Do your research well before you commit yourself.
2. Stay back if you have a business doing well in Nigeria.
3. Don't sell your assets to travel.
4. Don't have the mindset of not coming back to Nigeria.
Peace

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Slytiger: 3:53pm On Feb 26
Could be. Depends on who you ask and how lucky or favoured those persons were.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Dididrumz(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by SoNature(m): 3:54pm On Feb 26
The only adverse side of Japa is having kids who don't care about where they come from.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by isArray: 3:55pm On Feb 26
Leaving a struggling society for a sane one is an achievement

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by ceejayluv(m): 3:55pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

That number is reducing by the day and a good number of the mansions you see are from seed funds or direct purchases from Nigerian diasporans.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Requirement For Nigerian To Get A Jordanian Visa / BREAKING: Third Mainland Bridge Reopens / Drunk Truck Driver Causes Death Of Four People After Fatal Accident. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.