Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement (16966 Views)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / "Relocating To Canada Is A Huge Achievement" - Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by stano2(m): 3:55pm On Feb 26
Many people wished the did earlier

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Sultty(m): 3:57pm On Feb 26
natedroid:
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?
is so these a joke to u
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by qtguru(m): 3:57pm On Feb 26
I relocated to Malta, All I spend money on is food and rent, I don't worry about electricty, fuel scarcity and I can just run my agency, with the benefit of entering any EU country without stress, however abroad means you must have some skills, because it's not a place where you can just relax, you must have something bringing money.

Overall I prefer it here for my business, back in Nigeria I spent money on inverter, fuel, generator and back-up internet solutions just incase one dissappoints.

The cost of running a business in Nigeria is tough, coupled with getting clients remotely.

From Malta it's easy to get clients as long as you are competent, that's been my experience so far, Isolation and missing family is the only thing that will get to you, But I am a guy, so it's easy to play with the cards you're dealth with and comes to terms with reality about being isolated.

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by youngrichnigga: 3:58pm On Feb 26
On hindsight, with the current situation in Nigeria; JAPA is an achievement angry angry angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by rajiedreez: 3:59pm On Feb 26
Not really
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Franking: 4:01pm On Feb 26
Definitely. Anywhere is better than Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by PointZerom: 4:01pm On Feb 26
pansophist:
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

Japa is not an achievement. It is just a location change.

It's not only an achievement but also an investment on its own.
Don't just Japa without purpose.
I am sure by now those your mum saw without shelter would have become great meen today.
In Canada many people lives in wood houses and they're doing great.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Sheriman(m): 4:02pm On Feb 26
pansophist:
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

All the Japa crew will soon come for you. Just wait oooo you go hear am very soon

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by tctrills: 4:03pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

You see mansions in Nigeria and that's evidence that Nigeria is doing well?
To know if japa is an achievement, just look at the yearly remittance to Nigeria. It's over 22 billion. People don't sent money from Nigeria to their families abroad unless a student. But people receive money from their families abroad. That is why Japa is a big achievement to the average Nigerian.

Mind you, many of the mansions you see are owned by the japa community.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Benwallt(m): 4:03pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

That's just what it is.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by kuntash: 4:03pm On Feb 26
natedroid:
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?

guy, I can tell you for free, if no be Nigerians wey dey disapora, or wey japa, Naija for don catch fire long ago.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by enemyofprogress: 4:06pm On Feb 26
I'm here to read comments

Until you're legally married to a man, don't live with him. Visit and go back home so that others can also visit..

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Oritna94(m): 4:06pm On Feb 26
Hmmm, This your question is heavy. There are pros and cons.

As an achievement, I make far more than I would have if I had stayed back. I save a great deal of my earnings. This would not have been possible if I was back in naija.

Basic amenities are top notch. No stress of no power or no water. All these are basic here.

Basic services work as long as you pay for it you will get it. Not back home were you have paid for a service and yet it is nothing talk about.

Eventually I can reach my goals easily without a sweat. .

The only thing I will say that is a con is that I miss the naija vibes. Apart from that, every other thing is top notch..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by agentarcher(m): 4:07pm On Feb 26
It's a Nigerian mentality, that's all. From the time a Nigerian is born, he or she is told Nigeria is hell, and they must leave the country to be recognized as somebody. It's why Nigerians are proud to be doing jobs they will gladly reject in Nigeria. Most don't mind receiving racist abuse daily, they are ready to be bottom feeders just to have the title of I'm leaving abroad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by WantsandMore: 4:07pm On Feb 26
Gerrard59:

You don't need a soothsayer to tell you otherwise. Black Africa is decades behind civilisation. It is one of the reasons black people who aren't from countries in black Africa don't want to associate with the continent. No one likes to associate with poor people.
nah I disagree on the civilization, we lack technological improvements yes, but we've got the best civilization. I mean we don't go around answering they/she/him😏

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by kkins25(m): 4:09pm On Feb 26
hmmmm..... I think it's an achievement oh. It takes a lot of mental gymnastic to leave your country, endure the stress of living in a new environment, and succeeding in said environment. Even if you don't succeed, the chances of your offspring living a better life are greater than they were back at naija.

Japa is a biological thing, even animals japa en-masse.

Poco.hantas has great points. Rich man will enjoy money and tell you "money isn't important in life." grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by AirBay: 4:09pm On Feb 26
Travelling is not achievement but imagine been able to save $200k in 6-7years. That is #300m with the current exchange rate If pegged at #1500 per dollar.

For a wise person it changes the course of their life especially if there are no opportunities for the individual back home. Travelling to specific countries help further and buttress your talent in some cases.

For the gullible, the social media freaks and other categories of people who see travelling out of the country as a means to show off to their peers back home. It will surely be a hell as their mind is not well prepared for what they would meet.

Unfortunately, no where is like home.. I hope one day Nigeria becomes better either way I am heading home eventually. May God help me grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Onekilo: 4:12pm On Feb 26
Big achieve ment and I can help you.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by eebraa(m): 4:14pm On Feb 26
It’s an achievement for the poor and middle class

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by johnog4sure: 4:15pm On Feb 26
Japa arguement no dey finish, it is preference and planning. Case close.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by tosinhtml: 4:17pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

You're living in a mirage. For the record, most of the mansions in Lagos are empty, owned by either politicians and foreigners who invest their money back home.

A big man salary of 500k now in Nigeria is only an escape over the poverty line, using an iPhone in Lagos is now a luxury coupled with other electronics because they are purchased in dollars.

Nigerians are really suffering now, the embassies are filled up. You don't know half of what you are saying, I promise you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by mycho4us: 4:17pm On Feb 26
I have had a taste of the two sides. Generally, I believe life treats everyone differently and our preferences are not same. I met many Nigerians in Europe questioning their reasoning for staying so long without a recourse back home. Many traveled without a second plan if things not working. To some, it's anywhere except Nigeria no matter how dark situation is. Relocating to Europe with good doc is best. I cant say of other locations. However, I believe it's good to be guided by God in everything. This is for those that believe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by tosinhtml: 4:19pm On Feb 26
tctrills:

You see mansions in Nigeria and that's evidence that Nigeria is doing well?
To know if japa is an achievement, just look at the yearly remittance to Nigeria. It's over 22 billion. People don't sent money from Nigeria to their families abroad unless a student. But people receive money from their families abroad. That is why Japa is a big achievement to the average Nigerian.

Mind you, many of the mansions you see are owned by the japa community.

Japa community + corrupt politicians. I move around Lekki phase one very well, I discover most of the buildings there are owned by politicians. I can even call their names. Nigerians are surviving by remittance, once you remove that. It becomes generational poverty.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Britishpea: 4:26pm On Feb 26
What’s japa? Japa is when you travel abroad to take up jobs that you ordinarily can’t do in Nigeria because of dollars.

It can also be said that it’s another name for slavery. If you are working 8 hours a day abroad, you only have 15 mins to rest within the 8 hours. If you miss a day or an hour , it will be deducted from your checks.

But here in Nigeria you can just put a call through to Bayo who’s in your office to cover for you while you quickly go to show a prospective tenant or buyer a house for rent or landed property to buy because you are also an realtor.

Many people want Nigeria to be like whitemans land but they can’t behave like whitemen.

Was watching America got talent and was comparing their display to Nigerian idols show. Haha Nigerian idol is like kindergarten game compared to the AGT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by victorVIC1(m): 4:26pm On Feb 26
Japa is not an achievement. It is a means to an end and the end result is individual based

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Amalekki: 4:27pm On Feb 26
Japa is a personal choice and the history of humanity is filled with japa here and there from villages to cities, cities to villages, countries to countries. Live your life, make your personal choices and live with your decisions. You owe no one any explanation and you need no one's validation whether you japa or not and no one owes you any explanation for their choices as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Lincton: 4:34pm On Feb 26
Depends on your perspectives

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Backpedal: 4:34pm On Feb 26
natedroid:

It's actually an achievement
Have you checked the exchange rate ?

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pharmow: 4:38pm On Feb 26
As someone that left Nigeria 12 years ago. Traveling out is not an achievement but it does give you different outlooks to life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by spiSeyi: 4:38pm On Feb 26
NO and the funniest of all is that some Nigerians will still throw party because they got visa what an oyinbo man will never do. Moving from one place to the other should be a norm if not for poverty grin grin. Most folks aboard always feel like superhuman and look down at those in Nigeria while those in Nigeria worship them especially broke 9ja babes grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by chinchum(m): 4:38pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

You are comparing two extremes and that is your fallacy.

The poorest of the poor in 1st world countries vs richest of the rich in 3rd world countries.

That homeless guy in Brussel with close to certainty will not be wealthy in his home country.

Even biblical events shows myriad of examples that migration meant the migrant achieves the next level. Some migration were divinely inspired.

Infact leaving your "hometown" where you grewup is called a lifehack.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by NaijaCover(m): 4:39pm On Feb 26
JAPA Is The Best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos' Fourth Mainland Bridge To Be Africa's Second Longest Bridge / Dangote Truck Crashes At IMSU Junction In Owerri. See Photos / Requirement For Nigerian To Get A Jordanian Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.