Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement (16970 Views)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / "Relocating To Canada Is A Huge Achievement" - Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by NwaliE01: 4:39pm On Feb 26
pansophist:
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

Japa is not an achievement. It is just a location change.

Please, if it's not an achievement to you, it might as well mean the whole world for someone else.

Buying a house might be an achievement for Mr. A and not for Mr. B.
Getting married might be an achievement for Mr or Mrs A but might not be same for others.
Buying a car might seem to be a huge achieveme for Mr. A, but not Mr. B.
we should learn not to force our opinion down the throats of others.
Many people travelled abroad and made it legitimately (I am one of them) and others were still struggling.
For the fact that many are struggling doesn't mean all were struggling.
We need to balance this discuss. My advice to anyone planning to travel abroad is to equip themselves with relevant Information and strategy to settle quickly especially with their Visa status.
Many people you see struggling abroad are doing so because they had invalid Visa or a wrong visa that doesn't allow them to work.
I just hope we can find a balance on this discussion.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Shikena(m): 4:46pm On Feb 26
Depends on your definition of achievement.

e.g. generally, if you successfully accomplish a defined goal then that's an achievement.

On Japa, if you are at a certain situation at your current location and you have defined a future situation that you want to attain with Japa as a step towards that then it's an achievement. If you attain your goal by reaching your future situation then it's a big achievement.

natedroid:
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by emperor4love(m): 4:56pm On Feb 26
Ppl way travel before the regime go tell u whether na achievement or not bro
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by emperor4love(m): 4:58pm On Feb 26
PointZerom:

It's not only an achievement but also an investment on its own.
Don't just Japa without purpose.
I am sure by now those your mum saw without shelter would have become great meen today.
In Canada many people lives in wood houses and they're doing great.
oyibo house no b wood
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by obaidan: 4:59pm On Feb 26
Achievement is Personal. What is an achievement to you is stupidity in the eyes of others. Be true to yourself, set ur goals and reach for your goals.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by madjune(m): 4:59pm On Feb 26
Some people will just come online and start asking very foolish questions.

And they ask it because they're too idle and knows a lot of Nigerians have free time to entertain their idleness because d3m sabi talk.

Japa this, japa that...everywhere.

Tell me how Nigeria is a great place for human habitation presently? In what sense?

Is it the mosquito nuisance? NEPA? Generator?
Poor Healthcare? Poor education? Poor leadership?
Unemployment? Inflation?

I can go on and on and on....

One of the flimsiest reasons which I've now come to regard as valuable is the Nigerian car mechanic.

Do you know that, in most western countries, all you need to do virtually year round is change your car oil and you're good.

In Naija, mechanics will make sure they have you coming to their shops to fix one thing or the other every other week.
And they do this on purpose, till they wreck your car.

Keep asking funny questions.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Raalsalghul: 5:14pm On Feb 26
isArray:
Leaving a struggling society for a sane one is an achievement

From my experience, this is limited to Black African immigrants.

A significant proportion of the Asians (Indians and Pakistani) folks have their fourth generation speaking their languages, cooking and eating their delicacies and travel back home then and again.

Don't know what they do or how they do it, but we could take a cue from them.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Babangidapikin: 5:14pm On Feb 26
qtguru:
I relocated to Malta, All I spend money on is food and rent, I don't worry about electricty, fuel scarcity and I can just run my agency, with the benefit of entering any EU country without stress, however abroad means you must have some skills, because it's not a place where you can just relax, you must have something bringing money.

Overall I prefer it here for my business, back in Nigeria I spent money on inverter, fuel, generator and back-up internet solutions just incase one dissappoints.

The cost of running a business in Nigeria is tough, coupled with getting clients remotely.

From Malta it's easy to get clients as long as you are competent, that's been my experience so far, Isolation and missing family is the only thing that will get to you, But I am a guy, so it's easy to play with the cards you're dealth with and comes to terms with reality about being isolated.
Just curious do you still remit your tax to Messr LIRS
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by popcykaylah(m): 5:18pm On Feb 26
pansophist:
I remember when my mum was at Brussels North station one rainy night, and she was shocked to see lots of homeless people sleeping in tents at the train station. She was now asking me, why didn't these people just go back home?

Both whites, blacks, and middle easterners, are all sleeping, and the NGO gives them food every day. So tell me, is that a good life? of course not.

There are lots of people in Nigeria that are doing great, and they are living well. I do rent Airbnb in Lagos sometimes, and the kind of mansion I see, mehn, their life is way better than those in the west.

I don dey uk now for a while I no see anybody sleeping on the streets .. as long as you aren't lazy you go see work and everyone gets minimum wage .. all those people wey dey say don't travel all na wash .. my family live fine , I dey eat wetin I want and I send money to my folks at home ..all my friends and some of my relatives live here ..none of them dey suffer .. stop spreading fake news!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Raalsalghul: 5:26pm On Feb 26
pansophist:

Majority of homeless people in developed countries fall under illegal immigrants without papers and hopeless addicts whom the state have given up on.

So why would you use those as examples?

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by NuCypher: 5:26pm On Feb 26
AirBay:
Travelling is not achievement but imagine been able to save $200k in 6-7years. That is #300m with the current exchange rate If pegged at #1500 per dollar.

Depending on the nature of your job, you could even save that in as short as 3 years. Some people have. Add to that, that if you are not crazy with your investments, you can be fairly sure that wherever you put your money is pretty safe, even if you lose a bit of it. Reminds me of the billions young professionals put in Nigerian businesses like Agropartnerships and Crowdyvest, only to lose it all. And the government is there, folding its arms not doing anything about it. Some lost their life savings and there's no word from government regulators. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to trust the country's financial system.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Omoawoke: 5:46pm On Feb 26
natedroid:
I'm curious why (Japa) living and working in another country is seen as a big accomplishment in many black countries, especially Nigeria. What more do they have there besides good healthcare, infrastructure, and institutions? Does it suggest that black people living in Africa face poverty, lack of basic needs, poor health, and inadequate housing?

What was the average life of black people like before they had contact with the West, colonialism, and displacement by Europeans?

Baba, if you get to work in another country and earn foreign exchange, na big achievement.
Having a foreign work experience will continue to send you international

4 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by qtguru(m): 5:57pm On Feb 26
Babangidapikin:

Just curious do you still remit your tax to Messr LIRS

What's that ?
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by 79733139(m): 6:12pm On Feb 26
Yes it is an achievement for some people. If you don't want to japa, that's your choice - enjoy what Nigeria has to offer you.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Babangidapikin: 6:13pm On Feb 26
qtguru:

What's that ?
Lol Lagos State Internal Revenue Service... thought they wrote you the last time... Abi you forgot you are now a multinational corporation. You are expected to remit to your home country..just thinking out loud ...
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by qtguru(m): 6:22pm On Feb 26
Babangidapikin:

Lol Lagos State Internal Revenue Service... thought they wrote you the last time... Abi you forgot you are now a multinational corporation. You are expected to remit to your home country..just thinking out loud ...

They wanted me to register but I never did. Also I am Independent contractor grin I don't want wahala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Rumundele(m): 7:24pm On Feb 26
There is no achievement, they are running away from problem. But me i remain here, using those money for japa to build my house.
Five of my colleagues resigned and japa, i have many responsibilities i can't run away from them.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by LucemFerre: 7:28pm On Feb 26
If Lagos no work for you, you go Kano. If Kano no work you go Abia. For those who get money they travel out.
Na just way of life. No be say na achievement.
Just like in old Nigerian movies where traveling to Lagos mean everything to people seeking a better and/or different opportunity. Na so e be

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by BabsBabs: 7:33pm On Feb 26
Until you get to abroad.
natedroid:

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by pansophist(m): 7:47pm On Feb 26
Raalsalghul:

Majority of homeless people in developed countries fall under illegal immigrants without papers and hopeless addicts whom the state have given up on.

The example proves my point. Which is that it its better you stay back and live with Dignity, than go to Europe and sleep on the street.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by duduade16: 7:49pm On Feb 26
qtguru:
I relocated to Malta, All I spend money on is food and rent, I don't worry about electricty, fuel scarcity and I can just run my agency, with the benefit of entering any EU country without stress, however abroad means you must have some skills, because it's not a place where you can just relax, you must have something bringing money.

Overall I prefer it here for my business, back in Nigeria I spent money on inverter, fuel, generator and back-up internet solutions just incase one dissappoints.

The cost of running a business in Nigeria is tough, coupled with getting clients remotely.

From Malta it's easy to get clients as long as you are competent, that's been my experience so far, Isolation and missing family is the only thing that will get to you, But I am a guy, so it's easy to play with the cards you're dealth with and comes to terms with reality about being isolated.
pls I need your assistance kindly contact me on WhatsApp 09034563092
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by sheeda995(f): 7:49pm On Feb 26
natedroid:

Scam my brother.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by sheeda995(f): 7:52pm On Feb 26
ednut1:
i have personally exposed some of the set 3 on this nairaland. They tried to japa in the past but are now anti japa. Bunch of hypocrites 🤣
It's an achievement for you because you were miserable in Nigeria before you left
Some of us are doing well in Nigeria and wouldn't want to Japa at all. We live the life why you work in factories
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Chicagograduate(m): 7:52pm On Feb 26
natedroid:

Foreign currency
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by sheeda995(f): 7:53pm On Feb 26
Raalsalghul:

You are decieving yourself. Statistics don't lie,immigrants are still the poorest in any country they move to
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by sheeda995(f): 7:54pm On Feb 26
Rumundele:
There is no achievement, they are running away from problem. But me i remain here, using those money for japa to build my house.
Five of my colleagues resigned and japa, i have many responsibilities i can't run away from them.
God bless you my brother. Let the lazy ones continue to run away
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by sheeda995(f): 7:56pm On Feb 26
madjune:
Some people will just come online and start asking very foolish questions.

And they ask it because they're too idle and knows a lot of Nigerians have free time to entertain their idleness because d3m sabi talk.

Japa this, japa that...everywhere.

Tell me how Nigeria is a great place for human habitation presently? In what sense?

Is it the mosquito nuisance? NEPA? Generator?
Poor Healthcare? Poor education? Poor leadership?
Unemployment? Inflation?

I can go on and on and on....

One of the flimsiest reasons which I've now come to regard as valuable is the Nigerian car mechanic.

Do you know that, in most western countries, all you need to do virtually year round is change your car oil and you're good.

In Naija, mechanics will make sure they have you coming to their shops to fix one thing or the other every other week.
And they do this on purpose, till they wreck your car.

Keep asking funny questions.
Which place abroad please you dey change oil onc3 in a year? The way you folks lie on social media ehn. Se na ferari?
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by ednut1(m): 7:56pm On Feb 26
sheeda995:

It's an achievement for you because you were miserable in Nigeria before you left
Some of us are doing well in Nigeria and wouldn't want to Japa at all. We live the life why you work in factories
you wish, i was a senior associate in an audit firm when i left. I continued at the same audit firm Canada with a level higher . My savings after all bills were times of my salary in Nigeria. Stop smoking weed

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by chuksjuve(m): 7:57pm On Feb 26
Do you have light in your country?
Do you have good medical healthcare?
Do you have adequate security to protect you in time of needs?

If you don’t have this and those countries can provide it for you, then japa is an achievement..

What is life, if all you have seen from birth to adulthood is shege upon shege under the different leadership you have been exposed to all your life..

In summary, Japa is an achievement to who ever has the means to japa

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by madjune(m): 8:30pm On Feb 26
sheeda995:

Which place abroad please you dey change oil onc3 in a year? The way you folks lie on social media ehn. Se na ferari?

No. You didn't get it.
I meant, your concern is mainly change of oil and filter, which you do like once in three months.

Not like in Naija where every week you're at the mechanic shop changing either shaft or bowl joints or exhaust pipe....or some funny parts of your car.

And you know, most mechanics would have set you up on that.
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Fearurcreeator: 9:33pm On Feb 26
Jajasabali:
Make I japa first
I go answer you from there
Who dey hold you down
Re: Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement by Fearurcreeator: 9:38pm On Feb 26
Schrodinger2:

Firstly, you have to define what an achievement is to you before you ask this somewhat rhetorical question. Similarly, the lack of all you mentioned, is also nothing to be proud of in Nigeria.

The environment and system in the West gives you the avenue to make meaningful accomplishments and achieve legitimately far more than you could have if you stayed back. Wouldn't you want to grab that opportunity? That's what Japa is meant for. However, when you guys can't Japa, you begin to console yourselves with ridiculous threads like this.

Quality education, careers, and food abundance with ripple effects of other forms of success can not be said to be anything less than an achievement which is lacked by many in that country.
Still the richest black man there no get money pass dangote

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Requirement For Nigerian To Get A Jordanian Visa / BREAKING: Third Mainland Bridge Reopens / Drunk Truck Driver Causes Death Of Four People After Fatal Accident. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.