Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,412 members, 7,836,660 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Olumide Akpata Music (Video) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olumide Akpata Music (Video) (17552 Views)

Former NBA Chairman, Olumide Akpata Joins Labour Party (Pix) / Olumide Akpata And Osayamon Ogbebor Wedding Photos / Olumide Akpata & Osayamon Ogbebor Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Usenokpevbo: 11:12am On Mar 13
Dsimmer:

There are several others such as Omo, Olu, Odua etc which are Yoruba. Esan speak a mix of Bini.
Olu is a Yoruba word that has no meaning in Esan and Bini. No Esan bear it if they don’t have an affiliation with Yoruba land. Their mothers must be Yoruba or their mothers are Yorubas and they also grew up in Yorubaland.

Omo in all Edoid language, from Benin to Esan to Etsako to Owan to Ososo to Uneme to Egenni language in Rivers state to Degema in Rivers state to Urhobo in Delta state to Isoko in Delta all use Omo as a word to mean child

In Edo groups, because of how we value children here,

We equate children to the beautiful things of this world, there are names like Omorose which means A child in one’s life is the beauty in that person’s life. Omosefe- A child is more than money. So those Omo you saw is certainly a short form of these names.

No body bears Odua now .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Usenokpevbo: 11:22am On Mar 13
Dsimmer:

There are several others such as Omo, Olu, Odua etc which are Yoruba. Their first king title was Agba. The Esan name itself is a Yoruba name. Esan speak a mix of Yoruba with Bini.
The Esan name Is not Yoruba, it is Edo. it is “Esan fia “ which means they fled into the bush. Because a word look similar to a word in Your language does not mean they are the same. Agba was the name of the second king of Uromi,not his title and they don’t have a universal king.

I don’t like blind argument, if you will not be willing to learn, there is really no need to quote me.

Esan is Esan. It is similar to Bini, it is independent of yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Dsimmer: 1:30pm On Mar 13
Usenokpevbo:
The Esan name Is not Yoruba, it is Edo. it is “Esan fia “ which means they fled into the bush. Because a word look similar to a word in Your language does not mean they are the same. Agba was the name of the second king of Uromi,not his title and they don’t have a universal king.

I don’t like blind argument, if you will not be willing to learn, there is really no need to quote me.

Esan is Esan. It is similar to Bini, it is independent of yoruba

Usenokpevbo:
Olu is a Yoruba word that has no meaning in Esan and Bini. No Esan bear it if they don’t have an affiliation with Yoruba land. Their mothers must be Yoruba or their mothers are Yorubas and they also grew up in Yorubaland.

Omo in all Edoid language, from Benin to Esan to Etsako to Owan to Ososo to Uneme to Egenni language in Rivers state to Degema in Rivers state to Urhobo in Delta state to Isoko in Delta all use Omo as a word to mean child

In Edo groups, because of how we value children here,

We equate children to the beautiful things of this world, there are names like Omorose which means A child in one’s life is the beauty in that person’s life. Omosefe- A child is more than money. So those Omo you saw is certainly a short form of these names. [right][/right]

No body bears Odua now .

Olumese is what?

And Omo is a Yoruba word which means child. Bini word for child is Evbi.

Odua is also used among the Esan. The title of Esan king is Agba Onojie. Esan itself is a Yoruba word, for example Orimisan.

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Usenokpevbo: 2:46pm On Mar 13
Dsimmer:

Olumese is what?

And Omo is a Yoruba word which means child. Bini word for child is Evbi.

Odua is also used among the Esan. The title of Esan king is Agba Onojie. Esan itself is a Yoruba word, for example Orimisan.

Olumese is a cognate of the Benin Oruwmense. The O in Esan Olumese is pronounced Oor while the O in Olu in Yoruba Is pronounced basic o. Also the word Olu in Yoruba means Lord while that of the Esan which is pronounced in Oorlu means he did, the Full meaning Olumese means he did me right. It is the same meaning for the Bini Oruwmense. In Bini and Esan language, anywhere there is R in Bini word, there is L in Esan. Names like Ighodaro in Benin is given as Ighodalo in Esan, Words like Odionwere in Benin is given as Odionwele in Esan and so on .

The Bini and Esan word for Offspring is Ovbi, not Evbi. Ovbi is not the word for a child, it is the word for descendants or offspring. And also all Edoid group call a child Omo. Urhobo, Bini, Esan Degema, Engenni, Ososo, Owan, Etsako, etc. So the usage is not for Esan alone. There are Words like Omote in Urhobo, Omosefe, Omorose and so on in Benin and Esan.

Odua is used among the Esans how? There is no singular Esan king, there are 35 major communities in Esan land and all of them have their distinct enogie. The Enogie Agba was the second King of Uromi not the entire Esan land. And the meaning of It in Esan land is God of war. I believe it is not the same thing in Yoruba.

There are similar words in every tribe with distinct meanings. Esan is not a Yoruba word for the umpteenth time. Sigh! I believe the reason you quoted me was because you wanted to get clarifications on some issues. It is an Edo word “Esan fia”that means they fled

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Chinowuaturu: 2:57pm On Mar 13
I no even understand this olumide
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Dsimmer: 3:00pm On Mar 13
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Dsimmer: 3:02pm On Mar 13
Usenokpevbo:

Olumese is a cognate of the Benin Oruwmense. The O in Esan Olumese is pronounced Oor while the O in Olu in Yoruba Is pronounced basic o. Also the word Olu in Yoruba means Lord while that of the Esan which is pronounced in Oorlu means he did, the Full meaning Olumese means he did me right. It is the same meaning for the Bini Oruwmense. In Bini and Esan language, anywhere there is R in Bini word, there is L in Esan. Names like Ighodaro in Benin is given as Ighodalo in Esan, Words like Odionwere in Benin is given as Odionwele in Esan and so on .

The Bini and Esan word for Offspring is Ovbi, not Evbi. Ovbi is not the word for a child, it is the word for descendants or offspring. And also all Edoid group call a child Omo. Urhobo, Bini, Esan Degema, Engenni, Ososo, Owan, Etsako, etc. So the usage is not for Esan alone. There are Words like Omote in Urhobo, Omosefe, Omorose and so on in Benin and Esan.

Odua is used among the Esans how? There is no singular Esan king, there are 35 major communities in Esan land and all of them have their distinct engine. The Enogie Agba was the second King of Uromi not the entire Esan land. And the meaning of It in Esan land is God of war. I believe it is not the same thing in Yoruba.

There are similar words in every tribe with distinct meanings. Esan is not a Yoruba word for the umpteenth time. Sigh! I believe the reason you quoted me was because you wanted to get clarifications on some issues. It is an Edo word “Esan fia”that means they fled

No be only Oruw😂.. This Reminds me of how someone didn't even know that Olise is from Olosa where Osa is also from.

Olu is a Yoruba word. Just like Omo and Esan are Yoruba words. Bini word for child is Evbi.

Do you even realize that Bini king is from Yoruba ancestry, Oranmiyan?

You know what? Bini should stop writing gibberish to distort history upsidedown because facts won't change regardless, even though I know you're ain't Bini though because this ain't your first time with your other monikers. Anyways, We all know it was Oranmiyan ancestry in Bini palace who went out of the palace to found other places which includes the likes of Esan, Owan, Etsako etc. in fact, Owan still celebrate Oranmiyan festival till now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Usenokpevbo: 3:04pm On Mar 13
Dsimmer:

Olu is a Yoruba word. Just like Omo and Esan.

Do you even realize that Bini king is from Yoruba ancestry, Oranmiyan?

You know what? Bini should stop rewriting history upsidedown because facts won't change regardless. We all know it was Oranmiyan ancestry who went out of the palace to found other towns which includes the likes of Esan, Owan, Etsako etc.
K

3 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by doncartel: 3:07pm On Mar 13
Excellent music by incoming Governor of Edo State Akpata. He should consider doing a collabo with Shallipopi who is loved by all Edolites. This will secure him at least 85% victory at the polls, 10% for Pdp and 5% for Apc.
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Ologbo147: 6:44pm On Mar 13
lexy2014:

off point.

1. are you aware that all your emotional outbursts have not answered the simple questions?

2. why do you sound so hurt? do you need a hug?

its now "officially"? cheesy grin

you claimed that

3. if "there is nothing like Bazuaye", how do you explain this screenshot?
ok
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by OKAIGHELE: 12:27am On Mar 14
Usenokpevbo:
Can Oyo and Owo communicate smoothly without using Oyo dialect? Aren’t they deemed dialects of the same language. Isn’t Okpe and Uvwie distinct languages from Urhobo according to linguistic scholars? Don’t they regard themselves as Urhobos? How many Igbo dialects that are regarded as dialects of the same language can communicate with themselves without the need for their central tongue? Can’t Efik and Ibibio communicate smoothly? Aren’t they regarded as dialects of the same language? Why are they still regarding themselves as different groups?

Benin and Esan has more mutual intelligibility than many subgroups within big tribes. According to Pedro Obaseki, the difference between Benin and Esan is lesser than the difference between Oyo and Ijebu or Oyo and Owo. We bear the same names, we have the same names for almost every items.

Many a times becoming members of the same groups among very similar groups is politics and a central language factor. Enahoro tried bringing up a central language for Edoid, if he had stuck his desire for a central language for Edo within Benin and Esan alone, we would have since been one tribe, it would have been so realistic and possible. He tried to extend to Owan and Etsako, i believe that is where the loudest rejection would have came from. Or if Benin and Esan were alone in one state with groups like Efik/ibibio, we would since be identifying as one tribe. But because we are largely in Edo state where 98%of the population have similar language and culture, and we are not threatened by another strange major group. There is really no bearing need to put on another identity other than our very immediate identity even though we are related and we know the most related ones amongst us

Peter Ekeh described Benin and Esan as approximately mutually intelligible.

Okojie noted that even among present day Esan generation, speaking Bini may be difficult but it is unnecessary for an Esan to learn it before understanding it. According to him, it is easier for an Esan to understand Bini than Ora or Kukuruku language either of which has suffered further inflexion due of course to their early contacts with their northern, western and eastern neighbors.

Okojie was from Irrua, what Okojie meant by that to those who can’t comprehend English properly. He say for Esan people of this generation, to speak Bini fit hard them o, but them no go need learn am to understand am
Succintly put, you are intelligent, “If Enahoro stuck his ideas of a central language for all Edoid to Esan and Bini alone, we would have since been one group”. I think the closest Edoid languages would be Bini and Esan

1 Like

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Dsimmer: 5:59pm On Mar 15
Usenokpevbo:
K

Cat got your tongue since you can't dispute the fact that Oba of Bini is Yoruba ancestry from Oranmiyan ancestry?

In fact the real reason why Alaafin of Oyo and Ooni if Ife (called Oghene by Bini who sometimes add g or gh to the word they couldn't pronounce well) allowed the Oba of Bini did as he liked in Yorubaland was because Oba of Bini was Oranmiyan's son however Ooni of Ife always dictated the tune which Oba of Bini always followed.
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Usenokpevbo: 6:22pm On Mar 15
OKAIGHELE:
Succintly put, you are intelligent, “If Enahoro stuck his ideas of a central language for all Edoid to Esan and Bini alone, we would have since been one group”. I think the closest Edoid languages would be Bini and Esan
The first time i saw dj sose’s full name “Soseneyayi” which means bear witness for the gospel. I thought he was Bini i had to check and found out he is Esan. Even me an Edo/Bini could not tell the difference
The similarities between Bini and Esan is Akin to the word of God and God scenario, it is also akin to I and my father are one scenario.

Where a Bini man would use OSA in names like Osariemen,
Osagie, Osakpolor etc they would use Ose, some of their clans would also render it as OSA. where they would be R in a Bini name, there would be L in an Esan name. Ighodaro for Bini, Ighodalo for Esan, Arhiavbele for Esan, Arhiavbere for Bini, Oruwmense for Bini, Olumese for Esan. Where the Bini man would use vb, the Esan man would use Bh, e.g in names like Okpevbo for Bini, for Esan would be Okpebho, some of their clans would also render it Okpebholo which means a worthy people.

Kperogi gave his account one time of going to a rural community in Ekiti for a marriage ceremony in the early 2000. He quickly found out a reality that what is binding Yorubas together is the Oyo dialect. He could not communicate with the Ekiti people in the Rural community who did not understand the Oyo dialect.

But that cannot happen with Benin and Esan, from the extreme stretch of Oza to the eastern stretch of Ewohimi, Ewossa, Ohordua, down to Urhonigbe to Okada on the western frontiers and down to Benin. You have a people of about 5 million and a landmass of about 12 thousand kilometers square. They all at the very least speak approximately mutually intelligible language. An Esan man cannot get missing in Urhonigbe looking for direction the way kperogi got missing in Ekiti with his Oyo dialect.

A Bini man cannot get missing in Irrua, an Esan town with his Bini dialect looking for direction.

That is Oza dialect of the Bini language, in the video below, in timestamp 8:05-8:25 “the man said Bini dae hear, Esan dae hear, only small, small difference”. That already cemented Okojie’s statement in my earlier post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCp-Tq_rvTU?si=3uX07ZOaR9vj2eRk

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Udazi: 4:19am On Mar 18
scholes0:

But if Benins and Esans do actually understand 91% of one another IRL, then surely both languages and even identities should have since merged into one.
There is nothing like if, it is not an uncommon scenario anywhere in the world,French and Italian have 89% lexical similarities but only have partial mutual intelligibility and are regarded as separate languages and people.

With the 91% lexical similarities between Esan and Benin. That is why they are regarded as one of the very few languages in Africa and the world that are said to be mutually intelligible

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by scholes0(m): 8:47am On Mar 18
Udazi:
There is nothing like if, it is not an uncommon scenario anywhere in the world,French and Italian have 89% lexical similarities but only have partial mutual intelligibility and are regarded as separate languages and people.

With the 91% lexical similarities between Esan and Benin. That is why they are regarded as one of the very few languages in Africa and the world that are said to be mutually intelligible

Read this.
Learn to follow thread contents before quoting ppl pls.
Your Italian-French analogy only proves the point. High degree of lexical similarity but difficulty in two way communication because of various other linguistic factors.

scholes0:

While this may be true though, lexical similarity is just one factor that determines mutual comprehensibility. There are also things like language structure/grammar/arrangement, evolved divergent tones and inflections, speed of speech, use or lack thereof originally universal terms that are retained or dropped etc.

What is the real life experience of people (native speakers of these languages) trying to understand the other will be the real determinant of how much they can communicate. Linguistics for example say Igala and central Yoruba are share about 60% lexical similarity. in practical terms however, I doubt a Lagosian can even understand one third (35%) of Igala.
But if Benins and Esans do actually understand 91% of one another IRL, then surely both languages and even identities should have since merged into one.

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by AKPAMA211: 10:34am On Mar 23
Usenokpevbo:
Can Oyo and Owo communicate smoothly without using Oyo dialect? Aren’t they deemed dialects of the same language. Isn’t Okpe and Uvwie distinct languages from Urhobo according to linguistic scholars? Don’t they regard themselves as Urhobos? How many Igbo dialects that are regarded as dialects of the same language can communicate with themselves without the need for their central tongue? Can’t Efik and Ibibio communicate smoothly? Aren’t they regarded as dialects of the same language? Why are they still regarding themselves as different groups?

Benin and Esan has more mutual intelligibility than many subgroups within big tribes. According to Pedro Obaseki, the difference between Benin and Esan is lesser than the difference between Oyo and Ijebu or Oyo and Owo. We bear the same names, we have the same names for almost every items.

Many a times becoming members of the same groups among very similar groups is politics and a central language factor. Enahoro tried bringing up a central language for Edoid, if he had stuck his desire for a central language for Edo within Benin and Esan alone, we would have since been one tribe, it would have been so realistic and possible. He tried to extend to Owan and Etsako, i believe that is where the loudest rejection would have came from. Or if Benin and Esan were alone in one state with groups like Efik/ibibio, we would since be identifying as one tribe. But because we are largely in Edo state where 98%of the population have similar language and culture, and we are not threatened by another strange major group. There is really no bearing need to put on another identity other than our very immediate identity even though we are related and we know the most related ones amongst us

Peter Ekeh described Benin and Esan as approximately mutually intelligible.

Okojie noted that even among present day Esan generation, speaking Bini may be difficult but it is unnecessary for an Esan to learn it before understanding it. According to him, it is easier for an Esan to understand Bini than Ora or Kukuruku language either of which has suffered further inflexion due of course to their early contacts with their northern, western and eastern neighbors.

Okojie was from Irrua, what Okojie meant by that to those who can’t comprehend English properly. He say for Esan people of this generation, to speak Bini fit hard them o, but them no go need learn am to understand am
I agree with you to an extent but i beg to differ a little bit, most of the people that influence decisions for any tribal groups are their monarchs, the Binis are a centralized people. I believe some of the reasons why a central language did not work for the Edos is because the Binis have a central monarch who in time past had an empire. And they interpreted the teeming alliance and the intending and brewing central language at the time as the Bini monarch trying to extend his rulership to Esan, Etsako and Owan thereby reducing the monarchs of these places to sub chiefs in their domain, even though it was instituted by an Esan man.

Bear in mind that at the time, Edo was one of the nine national languages we have alongside with Ibibio, Ijaw, Tiv, Kanuri, the three major languages etc. And also owing to the fact that many Etsako’s, Owan already speak Edo at the time because many had cause to stay in Benin, bearing in mind that Esan already speak Benin albeit a corrupt one. It just need to have been taught in all schools in Edo state and it would have long been a central language for these people. What these people and monarchs were afraid of was the lording of the Oba of Benin over other monarchs in other Edo sub ethnicities. Believe me i have read some articles on these issues and i know

That is why it is easy for Uvwie and Okpe to identify as Urhobo even though they are not linguistically. Because with the alliance they’ve formed with the Urhobo people, their monarchs are all regarded as equals.

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Konquest: 9:31pm On Apr 23
scholes0:

Obazuaye of Ibiwe class actually comes from the Yoruba phrase 'Oba ju aye' - The king is more than the world'. In other words, the Oba choses the pleasure anyone enjoys in this life.
"Oba ju aye"... Impressive.
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Konquest: 9:36pm On Apr 23
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Konquest: 9:37pm On Apr 23
scholes0:

lol, you are saying the same thing as I am. It is an Edo chieftaincy today but has obtained a slightly unique connotation in Edo parlance. Just like Kpataki and the Osodin, another ibiwe chief.

At any rate, Olumide is from Usen originally.
Usen (Ode Awure) in Ovia South West of Edo State is a Yoruba community that was founded by Oranmiyan's younger brother from Ife (Ufe). They speak primarily a Yoruba dialect and Edo, meaning they are bilingual.

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usen_people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Konquest: 10:01pm On Apr 23
scholes0:

Yes it has come a long way in Edo historically no one is disputing that, but as you can also see, their Ife links are very obvious for everyone to see. All his Ogbebor n'Usen family side have Yoruba names. Ogbebor left Usen for Benin with the sanction of Olu Awure in 1819. He prospered and became a big family there (Infact, one of the biggest and most influential in Benin) and got chieftaincy from Oba. Anyways, their family is an example of one of those family clans in Benin that bridge both sides. I won't be surprised if they greet Lauhe.
Very illuminating.
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by Konquest: 10:05pm On Apr 23
scholes0:

How can his Obazuaye, Ize and Obasohan side which is maternal be more important than his Erha (Ogbebor)º side though?
If some Edo people call him a Yoruba person , they wouldn't be completely wrong.

On the meaning of certain Benin chieftaincies/aristocratic terms and titles i.e (Obazuaye, Ologbosere, Osodi, Esogban etc) being originally Yoruba etymologically, trust me, I know what I am talking about, but even if we argue til tomorrow, u no go gree, lol, but its okay. Let's just keep it at that.
Props to you for the deep insights here.
Re: Olumide Akpata Music (Video) by 1000Capacity: 10:35pm On Apr 23
Nice song

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Umahi Spotted Playing Football, Scores 2 Goals (photos) / Ex-FIRS Boss Nami Approved ₦11bn Payments After His Exit - TheCable / Senator Florence Ita Giwa Turns 69 Today - Happy Birthday To Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.