Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them (10511 Views)

Professors, Two-time Senator, Others Make Buhari’s Ministerial List - Vanguard / Ayodele Awojobi Foresaw It All / Fashola Honours A Great Lagosian And Engineering Genius, Ayodele Awojobi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 15, 2011
manny4life:

Nothing is happening to us in this section; rather, it's something that's happening to me. I stooped really low, like really LOW to act like MOST do on NL, if ther's anything I've learned, the best thing I've learned not to join words with people. Besides, where did you see me quoting him? Please prove it? I responded with a link, he quotes me and tell me I'm dyslexic? Please show where I quoted him before he made that comment,

[size=18pt]As a matter of fact, I will just observe more often than not; I'm done with this internet yelling and shouting that makes no sense.[/size] My suggestion to you so you can advice your cohorts; if they're gonna teach someone lecture or help someone, they should do so in a respectful manner even if you disagree with that person's thought of reasoning. Not that if affects me, but no matter how someone might be ignorant, insulting DOES NOT bring out the best in them either. I thought I could change some views on NL, but I'm soon realizing that NL is changing me in a negative way; not something I admire nor want.

While I have no regrets about my actions, I strongly believe there are some thoughts and reasoning that should be cautioned on NL; this is NOT healthy online environment. I've use unappealing words to express my reasoning which I shouldn't, I guess opinions are what they are; they are what you define them. I have gotten along with a majority of some folks on here, while some has been a torn in my flesh. I guess it's safe to assume, some people are not cutout for this sort of mess, or simply, they just have other priorities as well.

I am publicly appealing to those torn in my flesh, you know yourselves, PLEASE, LEAVE ME ALONE. You can quote me, but moving forward, it's less likely I will reply you let alone engage in war of words with you. I will try to cease and desist confrontational arguments with you; it doesn't mean I'm weak, it just means it's the most appropriate thing to do. I'm certainly DONE using vulgar language (lol, idk yet) baby steps, but trust me people, I will avoid you like a serious plague.

Best idea so far.

You sound like a reasonable fellow. Go on being yourself.

Trust me, it pays me to be a viewer than a yeller. It certainly makes less sense to gain emotional turmoil on the web.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 15, 2011
and someone put this retarted thread on the front page! angry speaks volumes about their person
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by manny4life(m): 7:24am On Nov 15, 2011
@texazzpete,

I don't think anyone is mocking the professor IMO, however, like u said, he's a gr8 engineer, he achieved a lot, his work is still cited as of 2010. I think what most posters are concerned about is the two people being compared. One is the field of literature while the other engineering.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 15, 2011
careytommy:

and someone put this retarted thread on the front page! angry speaks volumes about their person

My guy, contrary to what you think, Seun and his mods actually enjoy all the bickering and insults flying left and right 'cos it keeps their forum alive. That is why most controversial threads wind their way to the front thread. I can just imagine Seun saying, "hey OAM4J, that Awojobi Autonov 1 thread sure was a sensation. It seems like someone just started another thread comparing him to Chinua Achebe. Let's paste it on the front page and see how this one pans out. This one is sure to be a sensation too".

Seun is a businessman and anything that will keep us on his forum is a plus for him.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by sheyguy: 7:36am On Nov 15, 2011
I think it is most approriate to do comparison like:
Chinua Achebe vs Soyinka (Two Poets) 0r
uncle Emegweali vs prof. Ayodele Awojobi
(Two Scientist)
but if u insist on prof. Da Engr. Vs prof. Da Poet:
one impacted/inspired his generation with concrete demostration of his raw talent while the other came close to being recognised globally for an abstract idea that could have been copied.
One has done what no other Nigerian has done till date while the other is just another one-in-a-thousand low capital businessman waiting for true honor to come his way in the Nigerian 'context'.
One helped fight the decadence he saw in his environment the other got one loud ovation and took-off to the land of milk and honey.
One treated/used his first major achievement as a launching pad for an illustrous career while the other simply exchange his for visa/residence permit in the land of milk and honey.
One made 'unquantifiable' contribution while 4 the other, u and i know the procedure for foriegn visa application & cost now ! ! !
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 15, 2011
^^^and so ? ? ? ?

now are you gonna sleep well tonight!
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by BiafranFirstSon(m): 7:51am On Nov 15, 2011
Don't u have a father? Why not compare ur father with Prof Ayodele. Are u not proud of ur father.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 15, 2011
not the father but himself naw,
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by folahann(m): 8:01am On Nov 15, 2011
Never even heard of Ayodeji Awojobi before.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by okosodo: 8:06am On Nov 15, 2011
Yobo and messi
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 15, 2011
Funny thread
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Librate(m): 8:24am On Nov 15, 2011
the comparism here is SIMPLE
Proff Chinua Achebe is far more better than that {man seeking for recognition} prof awojobi or whatever
and i will suggest you COMPARE proff wole soyinka & proff ayodele awojobi not our Proff Chinua Achebe
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 15, 2011
Wow see as the thread is getting the attention the poster is seeking for,  shocked
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Martmore: 8:26am On Nov 15, 2011
You guys should do with this ur awojobi make person hear word.why drag Achebe (the oracle) into this.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Okijajuju1(m): 8:31am On Nov 15, 2011
An Ofe Mmanu Man vs. a Nwafor ani Igbo!

This is a no-brainer!!
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by TenKobo1: 8:35am On Nov 15, 2011
No comment, Infact it's not needed.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by freepeople: 8:40am On Nov 15, 2011
Igbos and Yorubas are the most educated and the most stu.pid tribes in Nigeria. It's very easy to spark a tribal war between them.
Now I know the reason why the not-so educated North continues to hold sway as far as leadership is concerned in Nigeria.

It needs an anonymous tribalist with multiple handle to start up a topic with tribal tint and the front page blessing of Seun. Too bad lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by kings112(m): 8:43am On Nov 15, 2011
Who is prof ayodele owajobi again? Mek i google am.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 15, 2011
and it made the front page
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by kings112(m): 8:48am On Nov 15, 2011
Okija_juju:

An Ofe Mmanu Man vs. a Nwafor ani Igbo!

This is a no-brainer!!
can u  imagin.   Comparing achebe that even primary school ':_pupils know with one onye ofe nshi dat even google can't find.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 15, 2011
kings112:

can u  imagin.   Comparing achebe that even primary school ':_pupils know with one onye ofe nshi dat even google can't find.

Nwanne'm ogini ne me gi? What is the "onye ofe nshi" about? You can do without calling someone that. This Prof did the best he could with the most limited resources and environment.

What if people had criticized the likes of Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton, Michael Faraday, Keplar, Robert Hooke, Michelis Menten, etc because their initial prototypes were CRUDE and ugly? Where do you think we will be today?

Let's try to encourage our people. The Prof. is worthy of some eulogy for doing this and we should try to build upon where he stopped. smiley
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by denitro(m): 9:03am On Nov 15, 2011
(Nairaland is a true reflection of the society we live in)
From most of the comments posted here, I can see that
Nigeria will be a terrible place to live at the moment.
* You can post something on Nairaland without someone insulting you
* You can drive on the road innocently without some form of harassment

Comparison,
                                                         Chinua Achebe                               l                 Ayodele Awojobi
Age:                                          born 16 November 1930                                          born March 12, 1937
Education Status:           [b]U[/b]niversity Professor and professor                                    [b]Y[/b]oungest professor in Mechanical Engineering
                                      of Africana studies Brown University                                 [b]F[/b]irst African to be awarded the degree of Doctor of Science (DSc)
                                                                                                                           in Mechanical Engineering at the then Imperial College of Science
                                                                                                                           and Technology, London
Achievements:               [b]G[/b]ained worldwide attention for Things                               [b]H[/b]e christened Autonov 1
                                     Fall Apart in the late 1950s                                    
Similarities:                    [b]D[/b]isliked corrupt government - When                                   [b]D[/b]isliked corrupt government - He used the universities as a bastion
                                     the region of Biafra broke away from Nigeria                      , going from campus to campus to make speeches at student-
                                     in 1967, Achebe became a devoted supporter                    rallies, hoping to sensitize them to what he perceived as the
                                     of Biafran independence and served as                              ills of a corrupt government
                                     ambassador for the people of the new nation                    

In my opinion Professor Ayodele Awojobi would have rejected the national award too,
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by sheyguy: 9:06am On Nov 15, 2011
kings112:

if we follow that line of reasoning then we might as well say Hitler is better than Achebe cos he is more popular.

1 Like

Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 15, 2011
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Kx: 9:08am On Nov 15, 2011
Never heard of the Awojobi man.
Is he vibrant at home or does he only feature in the dispora?
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 15, 2011
Kx:

Never heard of the Awojobi man.
Is he vibrant at home or does he only feature in the dispora?

Ask Google.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Kx: 9:14am On Nov 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ask Google.
Thats what am talking about.
I dont need google to know Achebe, Soyinka, Abalaka, Ojukwu etc.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 15, 2011
Kx:

I dont need google to know Achebe, Soyinka, Abalaka, Ojukwu etc

Why? Are they personal friends?
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 9:19am On Nov 15, 2011
The quantum state, or wave function, of a physical system at some point in time can be expressed in Dirac or bra-ket notation as:

|\psi \rang = \sum_i |i\rang \psi_i

where the \scriptstyle |i \rangs specify the different quantum "alternatives" available (technically, they form an orthonormal eigenvector basis, which implies \scriptstyle \lang i | j \rang = \delta_{ij}). An observable or measurable parameter of the system is associated with each eigenbasis, with each quantum alternative having a specific value or eigenvalue, ei, of the observable.

The \scriptstyle \psi_i = \lang i|\psi \rang are the probability amplitude coefficients, which are complex numbers. For simplicity we shall assume that our wave function is normalized, which means that

\lang \psi|\psi \rang = \sum_i |\psi_i|^2 = 1.

With these definitions it is easy to describe the process of collapse: when an external agency measures the observable associated with the eigenbasis then the state of the wave function changes from \scriptstyle |\psi\rang to just one of the \scriptstyle |i\rangs with Born probability \scriptstyle | \psi_i | ^ 2, that is:

|\psi \rang \Rightarrow |i\rang .

This is called collapse because all the other terms in the expansion of the wave function have vanished or collapsed into nothing. If a more general measurement is made that detects the system in a state \scriptstyle | \phi \rang then the system makes a "jump" or quantum leap from the original state \scriptstyle | \psi \rang to the final state \scriptstyle | \phi \rang with probability of \scriptstyle |\lang \psi | \phi \rang|^2. Quantum leaps and wave function collapse are therefore merely two sides of the same coin.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Jarus(m): 9:19am On Nov 15, 2011
While I will not compare Awojobi with Achebe, I realize one thing here: a lot of Nigerians of our generation know little about basic history. Professor Awojobi, though a high flying Engineering, was more known for his anti-government, pro-masses stances. He was Gani Fawehinmi and Wole Soyinka rolled into one. He was a radical within the short, 47 years he lived. The most interesting thing about him is that he combined art and science, and he excelled in both, without having to drop one for teh other.

Now, was he greater than Achebe? I don't think so. But hey, Prof Awojobi was one of the greatest Nigerians.
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by aribisala0(m): 9:20am On Nov 15, 2011
Shaka was the first son of the chieftain Senzangakhona and Nandi, a daughter of Bhebhe, the past chief of the Elangeni tribe, born near present day Melmoth, KwaZulu-Natal Province. He was conceived out of wedlock somewhere between 1781 and 1787.[citation needed]

Shaka spent his childhood in his mother's settlements. He is recorded as having been initiated there and inducted into an ibutho lempi (fighting unit). In his early days, Shaka served as a warrior under the sway of local chieftain Dingiswayo and the Mthethwa, to whom the Zulu were then paying tribute.[citation needed]

Dingiswayo called up the emDlatsheni iNtanga (age-group), of which Shaka was part, and incorporated it in the Izichwe regiment. Shaka served as a Mthethwa warrior for perhaps as long as ten years, and distinguished himself with his courage, though he did not rise, as legend has it, to a great position. Dingiswayo, having himself been exiled after a failed attempt to oust his father, had, along with a number of other groups in the region (including Mabhudu, Dlamini, Mkhize, Qwabe, and Ndwandwe, many probably responding to slaving pressures from southern Mozambique) helped develop new ideas of military and social organisation, in particular the ibutho, sometimes translated as "regiment" or "troop"; it was rather an age-based labour gang which included some better refined military activities, but by no means exclusively. Most battles before this time were to settle disputes, and while the appearance of ibutho lempi (fighting unit) dramatically changed warfare at times, it largely remained an instrument for seasonal raiding and political persuasion rather than outright slaughter. Of particular importance here is the relationship which Shaka and Dingiswayo had.[citation needed]

Shaka granted permission to Europeans to enter Zulu territory on rare occasions. Henry Francis Fynn provided medical treatment to the king after an assassination attempt from a rival tribe member hidden in a crowd (see account of Nathaniel Isaacs). To show his gratitude, Shaka permitted European settlers to enter and operate in the Zulu kingdom. This would open the door for future British incursions into the Zulu kingdom that were not so peaceful. Shaka observed several demonstrations of European technology and knowledge, but held that the Zulu way was superior to that of the foreigners.[4]
Re: Professors Ayodele Awojobi And Chinua Achebe: Let's Compare Them by Jarus(m): 9:21am On Nov 15, 2011
Kx:

I dont need google to know Achebe, Soyinka, Abalaka, Ojukwu etc.

Because these guys outlived him. He died in 1984, yet still being discussed today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Vow To Crack Down On Troublesome Politicians Ahead Of Ekiti Governorship / Musiliu Smith: 7 Controversies That Ousted Erstwhile PSC Chairman / INEC Uploads An Image Of A Girl In Bathroom As Election Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.