Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens (44951 Views)

Central Bank Survey Says Russia's Economic Outlook Worsens / Putin's Daughter Wanted To Japa But Her Father Refused / Coup Fails In Guinea Bissau: President Embalo Says Situation Under Control (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:00pm On Mar 13
ttmacoy:
Expect more restrictions.

And I see where Cleverly is coming from, many UK universities are fast becoming money mills desperate to get money from international students at the expense of falling standards and this will impact the reputation of UK universities in the long term.

Many of these universities are unable to help students get good jobs after graduation and are only focused on money. Career outcomes, salaries etc plays a significant part in the ranking and reputation of universities and when you now have a significant amount of your students coming as a way to migrate not because they are true students and many ending up doing care work there will be consequences. They may make money short term but medium to long term there will be far reaching consequences.

When you go to a university in the UK and end up in a course that is 90% international students you should know there's trouble brewing.

When Nigerians find a loophole we tend to overdo it to the extent that it's so obvious it's a loophole that is being abused and guess what? The loophole will be closed.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/12/overseas-students-undermining-uk-higher-education-warns-cleverly

I mean
I won't blame anybody in this case
Nigerians are acting in their own self interest by escaping the hellhole Africa has become

Britain via cleverly is also acting in their own self interest by curtailing the numbers that come into the country

They need an optimum number and for the last 2 years
The inflow has been crazy
Beneficial to the UK but is causing dislocations which will self correct in the medium term sha

Long story short; the UK has had enough
Escapee Nigerians/Africans should find elsewhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:03pm On Mar 13
jazzman7711:

SHUT UP, YOU SLAVE.

UK IS HELL FOR MANY PEOPLE NOW.

BEGGARS EVERYWHERE ON THE STREET ASKING FOR ''SPARE CHANGE'.

JUST SHUT UP THERE. IDIOT!

IT'S BECAUSE OF THIS OVERHYPING THAT MANY NIGERIANS ARE THERE NOW STRANDED, WITH NO JOBS AFTER SELLING THEIR PROPERTIES IN NIGERIA.

ASSHOLE!!
Why so angry mehn
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Omoalaji12: 6:05pm On Mar 13
Unemplyment everywhere is giving people sleppeless night. it going all around the town and people are moving mad cos they can lose thier income anytime. In Nigeria the unemployment rate is even higher and now in the UK is feeling it too. Although, a lot of Nigerians are in the UK and working, this means that it will affect the rest of the world.
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:05pm On Mar 13
bjdon:

You are the one who is very funny my guy

I am here in the UK and doing very fine, I know the system inside out. I can't count how many people me and my friends have recently had to help. Japa people who have found themselves broke, some not even able to eat. The other day we had to go and give one lady pots and plates as her house was totally empty and she could not afford anything.
Its people like you that sadly give many Nigerians a false picture of the UK. If you read my post again, I never said the UK is not better than Nigeria, or that some people can't make it here. What I said very clearly is that the UK is NOT FOR EVERYONE. If you do not have in-demand skills you will find it very very difficult to have a sataisfying life here. That is just a fact
If you don't come prepared
You will suffer

But if you are like someone I know here that came in with tens of thousands of pounds as cushion as a single person
Life go soft for you

It's all preparation
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:07pm On Mar 13
bjdon:

My brother thanks for calling the poster out. We really need to spread the word about the REALITY of the UK, You could actually be saving a life The depression I've seen in many of the recent Japa people is not a joke at all. Especially the married ones. I know Nigeria is rough, I get it, but people need to understand the reality of the UK.

All I tell people back in Nigeria is to come with as much money as you can lay your hands on

If you came to this country with 20k AFTER paying most of your school fees; this country will be soft for you

But if you "rough" your proof of funds
And want to "rugged" it here

You will so cry
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:13pm On Mar 13
sirray001:
what is the joy of a country who cannot provide her citizens with stable electricity, some areas don't even have light. Can't provide water except you dig your own borehole, dilapidated roads, security worst, no good health system and that is why Buhari half of his tenure running to London for medical care and now Tinubu has started, any small illness, he run to France. Nigeria system is not working whether you like it or not. By the time the reality is done on you, you will know how far

You know the typical naija thinking na
As long as e good for me
The hell that others are going through is immaterial z

People are "balling" in Nigeria
What percentage?
In that percentage
How many of them are doing legit things (as a former corporate rat myself I can tell you there is a lot of room for sleaze in these spaces, )

Someone used to sleaze can't survive in this country called UK

At the end of the day
Mu advise has always been that one should evaluate himself very well before fleeing that country and plan well
If not look for alternative

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by macklef(m): 6:34pm On Mar 13
DeltaBachelor:
Since the U.K is becoming congested and difficult. I would advise my 9ja Japarians to try pitching thier Japa tent towards Canada , The US and Australia, particularly our Doctors and Nurses. For IELTS runs package, shoot us a mail at deltabachelor@gmail.com

NOT CHEAP O. SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE ONLY PLEASE. BAND 7+ Guaranteed for Academic and Band7.5 and above for General.
How
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by tyup(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13
sirray001:
whether you like it or not, Nigeria is hell on Earth

For you and your family ba?? cuz it's paradise for me here

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by MT: 6:45pm On Mar 13
sirray001:
what are you doing with the passport of countries I will like to die for, when your country is so fatastic. Whether you accept the reality or not Nigeria is a shame among the comity of nations. You are telling me you are carrying passports. Which countries have you visited and I will tell you the ones I have been to. ode

Your distorted brain did not tell you some individuals got citizenship by birth while your likes had to wipe wrinkled bum bum for many years to get one.

Nigeria is also my country and I will wear it like a badge. Keep living like a beggar in a country that can even strip you off whatever is intoxicating you.

You are asking me which countries I have traveled to; A question coming from someone that saw inside of a plane at his adult life grin grin.

Don't get carried away - any little comfort, you start talking trash to Nigeria. The country is surely cursing you back.

Keep living a miserable life in a white man's land.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by MT: 6:49pm On Mar 13
tyup:

For you and your family ba?? cuz it's paradise for me here

Thanks for telling the numbskull the truth.

I guess he built a network of mediocres while he was in Nigeria - he traveled , yet living below the poverty threshold.,

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by MT: 6:51pm On Mar 13
RodgersAkpafu:

You know the typical naija thinking na
As long as e good for me
The hell that others are going through is immaterial z

People are "balling" in Nigeria
What percentage?
In that percentage
How many of them are doing legit things (as a former corporate rat myself I can tell you there is a lot of room for sleaze in these spaces, )

Someone used to sleaze can't survive in this country called UK

At the end of the day
Mu advise has always been that one should evaluate himself very well before fleeing that country and plan well
If not look for alternative

If it is about statistics, how many percentage of people are "balling" in the UK?

A country where the majority of her citizens live from pay cheque to pay cheque, and in serious debt which they cant settle in their lifetime..

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by tyup(m): 7:02pm On Mar 13
MT:

Thanks for telling the numbskull the truth.

I guess he built a network of mediocres while he was in Nigeria - he still traveled , he is living below the poverty threshold.,

To be very honest with you bro all thr last year my Dad push and pushed for me to move abroad taya I no gree answer am till he left me. In his words "You're the owner of your life, do whatever you want with it" got me a small system and upgraded my phone and started Crypto trading. the day I get $10 I go thank God, the week I make $50 I go still thank God

Guess what? I'm developing. and I just need me a week trade or two to gimme $100 my yearly rent in a conducive and a peaceful environment and try hard to ensure my Papa no laugh at me

Going abroad have never been my wish or desire. Imagine ifa my account reach the $1k threshold and start making $50 weekly in the comfort of my home, am I not a big boy in Nigeria?? But the ignorant ones will always tell you Nigeria is Hell bla bla. the question is, did they give themselves up to opportunities??

Most of em are just sucked up in an unnecessary hatred for this country and na weytin go kill them las las

2 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by sirray001: 7:07pm On Mar 13
MT:

Your distorted brain did not tell you some individuals got citizenship by birth while your likes had to wipe wrinkled bum bum for many years to get one.

Nigeria is also my country and I will wear it like a badge. Keep living like a beggar in a country that can even strip you off whatever is intoxicating you.

You are asking me which countries I have traveled to; someone that saw inside of a plane at his adult life grin grin.

Don't get carried away - any little comfort, you start talking trash to Nigeria. The country is surely cursing you back.

Keep living a miserable life in a white man's land.

oponu oniranu. Anuofia get behind me. daddy's boy.
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by MT: 7:10pm On Mar 13
sirray001:
oponu oniranu. Anuofia get behind me. daddy's boy.

See the uneducated response of someone that was forming "refined" and "balling" in the UK grin grin grin grin

Enjoy your livelihood with the rats cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 8:40pm On Mar 13
MT:

If it is about statistics, how many percentage of people are "balling" in the UK?

A country where the majority of her citizens live from pay cheque to pay cheque, and in serious debt which they cant settle in their lifetime..

Like I'll always say

For most Nigerians the choice is between between a "mediocre" in Nigeria vs "mediocre" in the UK
For progeny sake
I argue the latter is better
Wayyyyy better
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by YoshihideSuga: 9:13pm On Mar 13
ttmacoy:
Many Nigerians have really abused the care worker scheme in the UK. Some are charging up to £10k to sponsor their fellow Nigerians and then they don’t have work for them or give them 10 hours a week, meanwhile the poor person is unable to legally work for another organization because they are tied by work permit.

And they have sold property, borrowed money etc. to fund this. By the time they pay £10k for certificate of sponsorship, pay for visa fees and NHS fees they are probably spending over £20k to end up with a shitty job with shitty wages or worse not even enough hours to pay basic bills.

On top of all that the pay for care workers is rubbish especially when you consider the work involved.

I know many Nigerians who went to UK on student visa for masters, MBA etc. who can only get care work after graduation because most companies are not willing to sponsor for work visa and there is a shortage of care workers.

There is going to be a generation of underachievers and demoralised immigrants in the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Rolings: 6:23am On Mar 14
SoNature:
Those considering moving to the UK should reconsider their decision. There are better Japa options. Nothing good comes out of that Kingdom right now.

Abi since 10 years ago.
When their high institutions / universities ran out of cash they began targeting Nigerians Indians Philippines and Thailand and before you know it they came back to life and even began using monies generated from those students to provide scholarships for their citizens

Britain simply played two of its biggest former colonies .....India and Nigeria .

And is even using the son of Indian immigrants to stop migrants from coming over and he has an ally in a daughter of Migrants named Suella Braverman who has her eyes on Rishis job and both are competing to see whose immigration cut policy would bring down net migration the most
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by crossbreedwears(m): 9:07am On Mar 14
That's my opinion and what has that got to do with people's mind
Irupetepete:
Oga stop reading people's mind, it is bad for your health abeg
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Irupetepete: 11:52am On Mar 14
crossbreedwears:
That's my opinion and what has that got to do with people's mind
na sarcasm
Na exactly wetin dey my mind you talk, especially that Austria
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by crossbreedwears(m): 2:33pm On Mar 14
The Country make sense die but Nigerians like to move to where their own people live
Irupetepete:
na sarcasm
Na exactly wetin dey my mind you talk, especially that Austria
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 2:51pm On Mar 14
Rolings:

Abi since 10 years ago.
When their high institutions / universities ran out of cash they began targeting Nigerians Indians Philippines and Thailand and before you know it they came back to life and even began using monies generated from those students to provide scholarships for their citizens

Britain simply played two of its biggest former colonies .....India and Nigeria .

And is even using the son of Indian immigrants to stop migrants from coming over and he has an ally in a daughter of Migrants named Suella Braverman who has her eyes on Rishis job and both are competing to see whose immigration cut policy would bring down net migration the most

So because they are descendants of migrants; they should open the flood gates for migrants to pour in right ?
You sef reason am
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 2:54pm On Mar 14
YoshihideSuga:

There is going to be a generation of underachievers and demoralised immigrants in the future.
The problem with a lot of our people here is mental laziness

That can keep you going in a country like mediocre Nigeria , but in the west, if you no use your head; you will have yourself to blame.

Moving with Indian blokes (some born here; others from India) has really opened my eyes to a lot of things

We have a lot to learn honestly

2 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Rolings: 2:06am On Mar 15
RodgersAkpafu:

So because they are descendants of migrants; they should open the flood gates for migrants to pour in right ?
You sef reason am

Should they be the ones to be used in stopping migrants? You sef check am now....if someone had stopped their forebears from reaching England would they have been British?
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by YoshihideSuga: 5:41am On Mar 15
RodgersAkpafu:

The problem with a lot of our people here is mental laziness

That can keep you going in a country like mediocre Nigeria , but in the west, if you no use your head; you will have yourself to blame.

Moving with Indian blokes (some born here; others from India) has really opened my eyes to a lot of things

We have a lot to learn honestly

Some of which are? It's important our people know these things too.
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:53am On Mar 15
YoshihideSuga:

Some of which are? It's important our people know these things too.
The power of working together

The biggest challenge we have here as Nigerians is that somehow we can't work together, due to our stupidity as a people

I lived in Hare hills for a while, and whomever is familiar with that side will know that they (Pakistani especially) have am entire Ecosystem there that has lifted them up (they own a decent chunk of the real estate and businesses around; up to the ice cream franchises across the road)
The Uber drivers are primarily them; even the staff in these businesses are primarily them

Even people selling Nigerian/African food off harehills is owned by Pakistani brothers (they will stylishly direct Nigerian students there )

After 50 plus years of moving here; I'll say that as a people; we have not done enough in doing same, instead we are shift hustlers.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 6:54am On Mar 15
Rolings:

Should they be the ones to be used in stopping migrants? You sef check am now....if someone had stopped their forebears from reaching England would they have been British?
You did not answer my question
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by YoshihideSuga: 6:57am On Mar 15
RodgersAkpafu:

The power of working together

The biggest challenge we have here as Nigerians is that somehow we can't work together, due to our stupidity as a people

I lived in Hare hills for a while, and whomever is familiar with that side will know that they (Pakistani especially) have am entire Ecosystem there that has

After 50 plus years of moving here; I'll say that as a people; we have not done enough in doing same, instead we are shift hustlers.

I'm surprised by the bold. Does it apply to Yorubas too, considering they constitute the majority of Nigerians in the UK?
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by RodgersAkpafu: 7:14am On Mar 15
YoshihideSuga:

I'm surprised by the bold. Does it apply to Yorubas too, considering they constitute the majority of Nigerians in the UK?
This is not even a tribal issue

From my small observation; there is nowhere where we have an entire ecosystem functioning
Like these indo Pakistani people.

If we did; we won't be running left and right for shifts on the scale that we do
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by IbeOkehie: 6:15pm On Mar 17
reiddecuti:
Nigeria government don see reason not to perform.

Them go begin to justify their failure by telling us UK unemployment is worsen.

That's true. Very likely.

Good Luck to Nigerians
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Konquest: 12:33am On Mar 21
SoNature:

UK unemployment rises amid ban on foreign health workers from bringing dependants

Unemployment in recession-hit Britain has nudged higher as growth in wages falls further, according to official data Tuesday that supports analyst expectations of an upcoming cut to the United Kingdom (UK) interest rates.

The unemployment rate rose to 3.9 percent in the three months to the end of January, up from 3.8 percent in the final quarter of last year, the Office for National Statistics said in a statement.

According to AFP, average regular pay growth, excluding bonuses, fell to 6.1 percent from 6.2 percent, the ONS added.

Taking into account Britain’s annual inflation rate during the reporting period, real wages rose by only two percent.

Like the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank, the Bank of England is seen possibly cutting interest rates as soon as June as inflation cools and following multiple hikes to combat soaring prices.

“The easing in wage growth… is probably still a bit too slow for the Bank of England’s liking,” said Paul Dales, chief UK economist at Capital Economics research group.

“But there are encouraging signs that a more marked slowdown is just around the corner and that an interest rate cut in June is possible.”

Meanwhile, reactions have trailed the ban placed on foreign health workers and caregivers from bringing their families to the UK in 2024.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department, James Cleverly, said this in a statement on the Home Office X account on Monday

Cleverly said the UK imposed the ban as part of the plans to reduce migration.

“From today (Monday), care workers entering the UK on Health and Care Worker visas can no longer bring dependants,” Cleverly wrote.

“This is part of our plan to deliver the biggest ever cut in migration,” he added.

Majority of the Africans, Asians and Britons criticised UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak for implementing such a policy.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/03/uk-unemployment-rises-amid-ban-on-foreign-health-workers-from-bringing-dependants/
The usual economic cycle of boom and bust.
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Konquest: 12:36am On Mar 21
bjdon:
Anybody who spends loads of money to come to UK right now, needs their head examined or better yet, serious prayers. The only people who should migrate to the UK, are skilled workers that have secured a JOB from Nigeria. Coming over here to 'hustle' will just leave u depressed, broke and angry. The economy is not in a good shape and will get worse this year. You have been warned O!
Succinctly stated.
Re: Japa: UK Unemployment Situation Worsens by Konquest: 12:41am On Mar 21
ttmacoy:
Many Nigerians have really abused the care worker scheme in the UK. Some are charging up to £10k to sponsor their fellow Nigerians and then they don’t have work for them or give them 10 hours a week, meanwhile the poor person is unable to legally work for another organization because they are tied by work permit.

And they have sold property, borrowed money etc. to fund this. By the time they pay £10k for certificate of sponsorship, pay for visa fees and NHS fees they are probably spending over £20k to end up with a shitty job with shitty wages or worse not even enough hours to pay basic bills.

On top of all that the pay for care workers is rubbish especially when you consider the work involved.

I know many Nigerians who went to UK on student visa for masters, MBA etc. who can only get care work after graduation because most companies are not willing to sponsor for work visa and there is a shortage of care workers.
It's just crazy! Due diligence is so far away from the thinking of a lot of folks. All that money spent to come over to the UK could have been better spent on other ventures with good ROI.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kenyan Man Twists His Body To Make Money / 'He's On His Own': King Charles Ousts Prince Andrew From Buckingham Palace / Russia Hits Ukraine With Deadly Waves Of "Suicide Drones" Killing Several People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.