Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,179 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan (45452 Views)

Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan / Lekan Balogun May Become The Next Olubadan / Meet Oba Solomon Dele Owoniyi, The New Obaro Of Kabba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by aribisala0(m): 12:34pm On Mar 15
People need to be careful when talking about
Yoruba Land
both words do not have any meaning in our languages or dialect
Yoruba what does that mean?
People become dangerous when they study half history and think they know everything
The reality is that The Envelope word Yoruba and it's application is a Nigerian post 1914 phenomenon
They do not use that word to describe themselves in Benin Republic. And so it is in Beninthat you can even get hint of what So called Yoruba land looked like before Nigeria happened to it and before Christianity and Islam happened to it..

Those two religions and Nigeria have done the greatest damage to our people and consciousness
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Svlla: 12:35pm On Mar 15
Pls if you're interested
I have 1HP AC for sell at #230,00 and 2HP for #310,00
Carton unit (Brand new) incase you have interest
Brand; Synix and Aeon (Split AC)

This is the best price you will get anywhere for a brand new AC

Both non-inverter
Call 08168034379
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Laple0541(m): 12:57pm On Mar 15
adioolayi:
I so much love this system...

No unnecessary drama..

Everyone on queue...

You know person Infront of you and the person behind you...

You die...the rows automatically shifts forward grin grin grin

Can you imagine till date, OYO has not installed the New Alaafia...they still have loads of issues to settle..

Not and Never in Ibadan...Olubadan passes on...the next one is already known.

But the problem is, it amounts to a waste of resources most of the time. The Obas are always too old by the time they ascend the throne and they usually have little or nothing to contribute to societal development.

While I only know one Alafin and one Awujale, I can count up to 7 Olubadans that had reigned since I was born even as young as I am.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by kunleham(m): 12:57pm On Mar 15
Obaship ascension in Ibadan is totally different from the known and the common system in other Yoruba states and even other locations because the headship of Ibadan city wasn't meant to be an Oba in the first place, just a leader, who is expected to be the oldest among other elders, that's why there's no royal family in the town but succession of the oldest which also corroborate why the oba don't stay long.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by izibili44: 1:03pm On Mar 15
But Benin do not wait for any Governor approval. We know already the next king.appquote author=OVB123 post=128940583] I think that IBADAN and BENIN monachical system of chosing a king is the best and easiest.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by adioolayi(m): 1:33pm On Mar 15
Laple0541:

But the problem is, it amounts to a waste of resources most of the time. The Obas are always too old by the time they ascend the throne and they usually have little or nothing to contribute to societal development.

While I only know one Alafin and one Awujale, I can count up to 7 Olubadans that had reigned since I was born even as young as I am.

No resources is wasted...

From the day a Mogaji is chosen from a family and that Mogaji is fortunate to be installed as one of the Olubadan ranking chiefs on the succession line....He starts preparing to be Olubadan.

Most of them already have their palaces and are never caught unaware of becoming the Olubadan.

If you talk about the State Government having to maybe do the crowning ceremony...maybe...but then, large junk of expenses are carried by the royal houses.

It's not something they don't plan for for years!

2 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by wifeesnatcher(m): 1:44pm On Mar 15
excanny:

And no one trying to bypass and cheat.

For the first time, this is a high level of organization from Ibadan people.

I apologize for my previous opinions about them.

Your opinions doesn't count in the first place, so keep your apology to your ignorant self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by simplyakinz(m): 3:09pm On Mar 15
All of u dat ve been mentioning Ladoja since morning, una see ur life.. u are not frm ibadan, u dey tell us how we dey choose our next oba..

2 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by ISMAIILI9999(m): 3:12pm On Mar 15
THIS TIME OLUBADAN WE LEAF LONG
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by BIGDADDY000(m): 3:53pm On Mar 15
inoki247:
Still organized than all this Soun, Alafin wey Mata dey go court....
GBENUE SOUN, who told you SOUN matter is still in court? don't prognosis to the affairs you no about.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Shikena(m): 4:51pm On Mar 15
If you find his comment stupid then you have no business discussing traditional institutions in Yoruba land.

You must be one of the few Yorubas unaware that the Olubadan title was originally Baale just like many others in Yorubaland who later got elevated but without direct royal link with Oduduwa's immediate offsprings. This is not taking anything away from the position today, just a fact of history. These are settlements that were established much later in the history of Yorubas.

There is nothing stupid in history, it's just a trail of events in the past whether comfortable or not, just like slave trade.

bestman09:

Stu.pid comment as usual.

5 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Shikena(m): 4:53pm On Mar 15
Spot on.

kunleham:
Obaship ascension in Ibadan is totally different from the known and the common system in other Yoruba states and even other locations because the headship of Ibadan city wasn't meant to be an Oba in the first place, just a leader, who is expected to be the oldest among other elders, that's why there's no royal family in the town but succession of the oldest which also corroborate why the oba don't stay long.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Shikena(m): 4:55pm On Mar 15
Spot on.

Fryx:

In Yorubaland, the only kings that wear beaded crowns (Ade Are) are the children of Okanbi from Ile ife.

These are considered royal stools, the rest are mostly installed by these people and don’t wear beaded crowns. They wore Akoto.

Ibadan is made up of warriors from old Oyo empire. They are largely independent from the then Oyo kingdom, but Alaafin Atiba install some overseer over them, which are his friend and very strong opponent (No Alaafin will keep a strong warrior close to home)

The overseers are Balogun ibikunke and Basorun Oluyole. However, this does not mean Ibadan people don’t have their own ruler.

Ibadan people are the ones that made the Olubadan title and agree on who to rule. They are mostly powerful warriors, so it’s not easy to attain a monarchical system among them.

That’s what’s meant by they are not real kings. But that doesn’t make them less powerful. They are the ones that preserve the new Oyo and fight off invaders when Oyo became powerless. Mostly because Oyo is their home.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by naija4life247: 6:38pm On Mar 15
HBB1:

'For the first time?'

🤣

I guess you don't know the history of Ibadan.

What effontery!

The person you quoted is mentally unstable

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by oyeb15: 6:38pm On Mar 15
Ebenezer obey sang for him then. Won she Bola tan
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by seuncyrus(m): 6:51pm On Mar 15
adioolayi:

No unnecessary drama..

Everyone on queue...

Can you imagine till date, OYO has not installed the New Alaafia...they still have loads of issues to settle..

Honestly the system is the best , no unnecessary politicking and whatnot . Some folks on twitter were criticizing the system I just dey laugh
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Bimpe29: 7:11pm On Mar 15
Oye amo ori o. Congratulations His Imperial Majesty!

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by gaskiyamagana: 7:49pm On Mar 15
adioolayi:

No unnecessary drama..

Everyone on queue...

Even without treacherous and acrimony in the succession line.
I love Ibadan my ancient town.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by kbbanj10(m): 7:49pm On Mar 15
excanny:

Apologies accepted. You're great

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by OlujobaSamuel: 8:07pm On Mar 15
yemmight:
They need to change the pattern of selecting the King honestly.
I think it's actually one of the best if not the best pattern, it means every son of Ibadan land can sit on the throne, nothing like ruling house, just follow the ascension process from your immediate family and pray never to die before it gets to your turn. That's why the king is always an old man

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by IreneJane: 10:07pm On Mar 15
StOla:

Because it is a "Baale" system.

Olubadan is not a real royal stool.

Were n jeun lorie
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by rezzy: 10:32pm On Mar 15
excanny:

Please can you explain how it is done
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by dfrost: 5:50am On Mar 16
Christlike01:

What exactly do you mean by "for the first time" ? Are you Yoruba ? I can bet,you know nothing about Ibadan,its people and history.

He just said he apologized for his/her previous views. Can't we work with that?

Haba... Let's always learn to move on fast. E get why?

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by dfrost: 5:51am On Mar 16
kbbanj10:
Apologies accepted. You're great

I love this. No one holds grudges forever and expects to move on.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Christlike01: 6:59am On Mar 16
dfrost:

He just said he apologized for his/her previous views. Can't we work with that?

Haba... Let's always learn to move on fast. E get why?

You can't package or disguise insults as an apology and expect not to be figured out! As for you, you need your own advice more... move on, man!
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by AyeMoJuba: 8:35am On Mar 16
bestman09:

But as stupid as it may sound, its the fact and truth.
Olubadan stool is not a real Royal Stool...we have Baale in Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by olawooro: 8:51am On Mar 16
StOla:

You get it.
It used to be the military system of leadership succession.

The present Ibadan was founded by warriors from different towns and villages in Yorubaland, after the collapse of old Oyo empire, mainly to stage defensive and offensive attacks against Fulani jihadists, before it metamorphosed to a new settlement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by olawooro: 9:14am On Mar 16
aribisala0:

Not a Baale system
That is a totally wrong understanding

There is nothing like Baale system across Yorubaland. It varies from place to place.
The Ibadan system ensures very old monarchs which is not the case with Baales

Now what do You mean by REAL royal stool?
How do you define Realness??

It used to be known as Baale. As a matter of fact, there was nothing like 'Olubadan' in the 19th century. The head of Ibadan used to be a military leader with the title of 'Balogun'. Latter it was called Baale, because they still believed in the Oyo empire system and respected Alaafin. Then Ibadan was believed to be the extension of the ancient Capital, Oyo. As a part and parcel of Oyo, though independent of Oyo, there could not be 2 kings in a town, hence the head of Ibadan was known as Baale, since there was the king, Alaafin in Oyo.
That doesn't mean Ibadan was subjected or paying tribute to Oyo. It was out of respect for Alaafin, after all, majority of Ibadans were migrants from Oyo. More over Ibadan has emerged as the political and military headquarters of Yorubaland.
Alaafin regarded them as his own military, while they regarded him as their own king.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by seunayantokun(m): 10:10am On Mar 16
StOla:

You've got it wrong, I think. Let simply credit the organisation of the system in Ibadan. Baale system was the system in many towns and communities in Yoruba land before transition to oba mode like Ibadan did but they don't have the same organised system like Ibadan does.

Two, what makes a real royal stool? Must you have some sort of strange or esoteric history attached to make a real royal stool. Or is a real royal stool manufactured in heaven? Please, come off it. Royal stool na royal stool, e no matter how the story be. My town started off with the baale stuff but we now have an oba. The status was achieved long ago. There are six royal houses there producing the next in line turn by turn, yet it is always fight to finish when an oba is to be installed.
Honestly, Ibadan should be used as an example to review obaship system in all of the Yoruba land so that we concentrate on ensuring peace and security in the land.

1 Like

Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by Sirianese: 3:42pm On Mar 16
bestman09:

Not stupid it's the truth
Re: Meet Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, The Next Olubadan Of Ibadan by NoSentimentNo: 2:10pm On Mar 17
Ibadan is a combination of many towns rolled into one.

The several towns and villages that make up Ibadan have their hereditary royal system similar to what obtains in other yorubaland.

The ruler of the city is just like an empror.

Also, for clarity, 'baale system ' is clearly a royal system - there is no other traditional meaning.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? / Celebrating Ndi-igbo / Alaafin Of Oyo Arrives Abuja Airport In Limousine (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.