Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Marrying For Love Is Wrong - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marrying For Love Is Wrong (7288 Views)

Relationship Tips: Reasons Why Marrying For Money Isn't A Bad Idea / How I Ended Up Marrying The Lady I Met On Facebook / 10 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by kholis(m): 11:16am On Nov 15, 2011
I have listened to this pastor's message with confusion. According to him;

* Love beclouds proper thinking
* Love makes for the choice of wrong partner
* Love delays marriage since uninformed singles waste precious time looking for who they love
* A marriage built on love is devoid of proper foundation because love is a feeling which comes and goes
* Love works against reality which is a big essence of marriage etc

His reasons against love in marriage seem endless but the point here is that he is gaining huge popularity among the singles that troop his church in Lagos and mainly in Ghana. He rather advocates that instead of love, [b]maturity, respect and communication[/b]are the secret of successful marriage. He goes on to say that over 90% of divorced couples professed undying love for each other and the marriages still failed. This is to prove that love does not sustain marriage but breaks it.

However, my personal view is that the pastor is wrong.  God is Love. Even Jesus Christ condensed all the commandments to love. It is as a result of Great demonstration of love by God that we all have access to salvation. Love, being this powerful can never be anti-marriage. Period!
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by ochukoccna: 11:18am On Nov 15, 2011
chines4:

@Ochuko, may be love is not important, what is important is holy spirit revealed to me that u'r my spouse  angry angry angry
Be not foolish,did I mention the Holy Spirit doing that?
Yet look in the New Testament to see that God does not speak in a vacuum
On an issue concerning 2 people,He reveals to both parties
Joseph&Mary, Paul& Annanias etc
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 15, 2011
ochukoccna:

^^^^
Simply by observation on NL,1 gets to know the trolls who use abusive language&lack person to person skills
That your father gave you up for adoption doesnt mean  you have to be mad at the whole world
Going through your posts on NL,we see his decison was justified
[size=14pt]Shut tha hell up! Cretin!

Dont you have a pastor's boot to lick this morning? What are you still dong on NL?[/size]
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by DeepSoul(f): 11:27am On Nov 15, 2011
Ochukoccna, I somewhat agree with you.

I doubt that the poster understood what the pastor meant. Altho I wasn't there, I have similar thoughts about the issue of love and marriage. Love in itself is not enough to sustain a marriage.

Intense love is dangerous. Especially with the wrong person.

A perfect example is given - marrying someone for love and having no money to pay basic bills like house rent. So after ur landlord chases you out and you are both under the bridge, love will remain strong? Lai Lai! Let's not deceive ourselves.

I used to be a very very very ardent "love believer". But these days, I wonder if it's wise to marry someone I'm madly in love with. Sometimes I think I should just marry some1 I am fond of, tolerate and respect. And vice versa.

But then again! Sometimes I think that when storms arise (and they ALWAYS will), it's that love that binds two people together even when everything else is gone.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out for sure someday! grin
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by brainpulse: 11:28am On Nov 15, 2011
If you then dont marry for Love or feelings and you check for everything to be checked for befor marriage( knowing fully well you cant know 100% of anyone), if after marriage you found out that things are not working right fot the two of you and because there was no love initially then how will you survive knowing divoice is never a better option in the bible. It is a dumb teaching.

This was what many of our parents believed in that they had to endure and suffer in marriage, because majority married base on arrangement, then they found it difficult to live together because there was no feeling initially at all and they became trapped for live saying if not for my children i would have left and bla bla bla
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by ochukoccna: 11:29am On Nov 15, 2011
@ post,I state here again I have no affliation(as a worker with or follower of) the pastor in question
Having said that read about the 3 kinds of love -Eros, Philia an Agape) to better understand what love is all about
Withoutyou developing AGAPE for your spouse, your marriage is a disaster waiting to happen.
I repeat again what Bimbo Odukoya said then, Love is not an emotion, Love is a decision.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by snthesis(m): 11:37am On Nov 15, 2011
Deep Soul:

grin

there is a difference btw infatuation and love, unfortunately spotting it out is rather difficult.

brainpulse:

This was what many of our parents believed in that they had to endure and suffer in marriage, because majority married base on arrangement, then they found it difficult to live together because there was no feeling initially at all and they became trapped for live saying if not for my children i would have left and bla bla bla
Most of our parents stayed together cos of economic reasons and cultural reasons- the man was the provided for the household and it was a shameful tin to go back to ur parents house, unfortunately/fortunately, women are getting more independent by the day as such do not have to take crap for a no goody hubby to stay in a wack marriage, and the shameful nature of being a divorcee is fast elapsing, wen you add this too factors its small wonder y there are increasing cases of shortlived marriages. the more developed the economy/loose cultural values the higher the cases of divorce. sad
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by ochukoccna: 11:39am On Nov 15, 2011
@ Deepsoul, thank you for seeing my perspective
How can you give your heart to someone who is a stranger? shocked shocked shocked
Yes ,that guy or babe whom you have no covenant with is a stranger undecided undecided undecided
Once he marries you,then that's love
Yet love still grows
Just make sure your intuition is leading you on not feelings

@deepsoul,
how come fine sista like you dey hang out with PDP and Yoonited? grin grin grin
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by brainpulse: 11:40am On Nov 15, 2011
@Deep Soul

So if you married the so call right guy for status; from good home, has professional certifications, well read, speak queen's english, cashfull, very interllectual and etc. Then 3 years into the marriage he was struckwith a stroke from the upper limb downwards. No money again, You have to feed himand your 2 kids, you have to carry him for medication and que at the government hospital oncea week.
Tell me with what will you cope knowing you left job since the money was ok for the family. And the marriage was based on status not love.

Then came the guy you loved initial but with no job and ambition but because you left him, he picked up his chattered life and decided to polish and make something out of life. Now he's rich and comfortable and not married be sincere what will be your first thought.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by brainpulse: 11:54am On Nov 15, 2011
There lots of things as humn beings we dont understand and can not fathom about life, because abrupt changes comes and you cant explain circumstances any more. The best and good guy can someday turn to the worst man you can ever hope to see. the best,nice and trained lady can change to be free for all public fighter. But when situation like this comes one needs a deeper feeling and something you once had before marriage to keep you amidst the storm.
That is not to say one most delibrately make wrong decision base on clear situation before marriage but make sure the feelings you have are right and geniune but not to have nothing at all is dancing blues with Boko haram.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by tpia5: 12:03pm On Nov 15, 2011
The pastor is right in a way.

Marrying for love alone isnt enough to sustain a marriage. Love should come after marriage, not necessarily before it.

However, i think the minister should get his point across in a clearer manner, since a lot of people are saying they're confused by him.

Samson's wife was a philistine woman and this was before he met delilah. He had some issues when it came to choosing female companions.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2011
brainpulse:

There lots of things as humn beings we dont understand and can not fathom about life, because abrupt changes comes and you cant explain circumstances any more. The best and good guy can someday turn to the worst man you can ever hope to see. the best,nice and trained lady can change to be free for all public fighter. But when situation like this comes one needs a deeper feeling and something you once had before marriage to keep you amidst the storm.
That is not to say one most delibrately make wrong decision base on clear situation before marriage but make sure the feelings you have are right and geniune but not to have nothing at all is dancing blues with Boko haram.
lolz, true talk
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by freecocoa(f): 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2011
ochukoccna:

@ Deepsoul, thank you for seeing my perspective
How can you give your heart to someone who is a stranger? shocked shocked shocked
Yes ,that guy or babe whom you have no covenant with is a stranger undecided undecided undecided
Once he marries you,then that's love
Yet love still grows
Just make sure your intuition is leading you on not feelings
You are talking rubbish,arrant yayanpu that's all you've stated above.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by chines4(m): 12:16pm On Nov 15, 2011
ochukoccna:

Be not foolish,did I mention the Holy Spirit doing that?
Yet look in the New Testament to see that God does not speak in a vacuum
On an issue concerning 2 people,He reveals to both parties
Joseph&Mary, Paul& Annanias etc
You may not mention holy spirit but, what reveal some one partner to the person. And in New testament if Joseph did not love Mary, will he consider returning her to her people secretly, without shaming her, when he discovered that she was pregnant?. Jesus in the same New Testament said Husband love your wife, will he said that if love is not the essence of marriage.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 15, 2011
smh. this is why i believe in live and let live.
too much politics and opinions (main ingredients in religion  grin)
are used as weapons solely to control.  tongue
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by DeepSoul(f): 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2011
brainpulse:

@Deep Soul

So if you married the so call right guy for status; from good home, has professional certifications, well read, speak queen's english, cashfull, very interllectual and etc. Then 3 years into the marriage he was struckwith a stroke from the upper limb downwards. No money again, You have to feed himand your 2 kids, you have to carry him for medication and que at the government hospital oncea week.
Tell me with what will you cope knowing you left job since the money was ok for the family. And the marriage was based on status not love.

Then came the guy you loved initial but with no job and ambition but because you left him, he picked up his chattered life and decided to polish and make something out of life. Now he's rich and comfortable and not married be sincere what will be your first thought.

Well, if u read my post well, u'd see that I'm torn about the issue. . .Besides, I have seen people who supposedly married for love and turned their backs on their spouses when things went bad. If you respect and are loyal to your spouse and also have the fear of God, you'd not abandon him or her if things get sour. But love on the other hand, can die. I think there's something deeper than love - it's called  friendship. When you see your spouse as ur friend, brother/sister, you will never leave them when they are at their lowest.

Omo love has shown me mad pepper before, biko. I can only touch it with a looooooong stick!
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by DeepSoul(f): 12:31pm On Nov 15, 2011
ochukoccna:

@deepsoul,
how come fine sista like you dey hang out with PDP and Yoonited? grin grin grin

I no dey hang out with PDP oh! They r just my neighbours by default tongue
And as for United, there's no other option cool
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by TeskyMan(m): 12:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
Deep Soul:

I doubt that the poster understood what the pastor meant. Altho I wasn't there, I have similar thoughts about the issue of love and marriage. [size=18pt]Love in itself is not enough to sustain a marriage.[/size]

A perfect example is given - marrying someone for love and having no money to pay basic bills like house rent. So after your landlord chases you out and you are both under the bridge, love will remain strong? Lai Lai! Let's not deceive ourselves.

I used to be a very very very ardent "love believer". But these days, I wonder if it's wise to marry someone I'm madly in love with. Sometimes I think I should just marry some1 I am fond of, tolerate and respect. And vice versa.

But then again! Sometimes I think that when storms arise (and they ALWAYS will), it's that love that binds two people together even when everything else is gone.

Oh well, I guess I'll find out for sure someday!  grin

I can't but agree to the bolded part with my over half a decade of experience in marriage.

ochukoccna:

@ op, listen to the man's message to understand better
i hold no brief for him but i now understand why our educational products are half baked
like Bimbo Odukoya once said,love is not a feeling,love is a decision shocked shocked shocked
this rankled my mind for a while till i understood better through paul's letter to the romans that God loved us even while we are still sinners(for God's nature is love,He cant do otherwise)
Even though feelings build up,love based on emotions is dangeous shocked shocked
God's love (AGAPE) is unconditional
Man's love (EROS) is conditional
Even parents who have wayward children do their best to love them regardless of the grief they dish @ them
Emotional love is what mills and boons novels preach
Agape love is what marriage&serious relationships teaches and need
Sadly it is becoming a lost skill
How is it that our forebearers were married off by their parents in those days yet the marriages overcame obstacles?
For most ladies,love means a well to do guy
For most guys,love means a drop dead lady
What happens if that rich guy is incapcitated and that drop dead lady is disfigured? undecided undecided undecided
[size=16pt]Many who are replying are not married yet else we would have seen less on the spur reactions[/size]
Married folks will tell you Eros wears out in 3-9 months
The questions are
1)Would you love and  marry yourself i.e. someone who shows forth your behavioural traits and personality?
2)Would you love your other half when Eros dries off and you get to see the real person for who he/her really is with weaknesses,iritating habits(we all have them)and what have you?
Love is more than a rush of blood to men balls and that fluttery feelings in ladies hearts.
That is simply what the pastor was telling the  OP.

I understand what you are saying. But it takes someone who leaves in a house, to tell you what needs to be repaired in the house. It's naturally difficult for someone who has never gained entrance into the same house, no matter the number of books he/she might have read or the number of films the person might have watched with respect to the house, to know what needs to be repaired in the house. You need to live in the HOUSE to know what needs to be repaired. Shikena.

Guy - ochukoccna - I understand!!!

@ sexkill - why naa, take am easy!
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Chimezinko: 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2011
I dont fink so
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by kings112(m): 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2011
All dis fek men of god sef

they never seaz 2 amez me wit ol dis their wetin call.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Allyagakwu: 12:53pm On Nov 15, 2011
The entire pastors and preaching stuff is getting crazy. These days, we here all sorts of concoction in the name of preaching the Bible. I was surprised, only just, just yesterday to read in one of Oyedepo's books that "God made a mistake to have created Adam an adult and given him a will". Unbelieveable thing to say about the all-knowing, all-present and all-[powerful God, the perfect God. May God save us
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by snthesis(m): 1:07pm On Nov 15, 2011
Allyagakwu:

The entire pastors and preaching stuff is getting crazy. These days, we here all sorts of concoction in the name of preaching the Bible. I was surprised, only just, just yesterday to[b] read in one of Oyedepo's books[/b] that "God made a mistake to have created Adam an adult and given him a will". Unbelieveable thing to say about the all-knowing, all-present and all-[powerful God, the perfect God. May God save us
u can readily slant Oyedepo's name witout mentioning the source- dats not d way to go nau angry angry
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 15, 2011
The entire pastors and preaching stuff is getting crazy. These days, we here all sorts of concoction in the name of preaching the Bible. I was surprised, only just, just yesterday to read in one of Oyedepo's books that "God made a mistake to have created Adam an adult and given him a will". Unbelieveable thing to say about the all-knowing, all-present and all-[powerful God, the perfect God. May God save us
[size=14pt]^^^
You they mind them? All they preach is Riches & prosperity. And fake miracles. When it comes to the core teachings of the bible, they are found wanting. . .[/size]
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by DeepSoul(f): 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^

Hey u boi, why your blood dey boil like this today na? Are you on ur period? grin
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 15, 2011
[size=14pt]^^^
You dumped me. . .[/size]
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nayah(f): 1:32pm On Nov 15, 2011
Poster, some mothers said that better marrying someone who will respect you, help you and support you than someone that you love so you can see that your statement is not completely strange, even though it's discutable
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by DeepSoul(f): 1:36pm On Nov 15, 2011
Nayah:

Poster, some mothers said that better marrying someone who will respect you, help you and support you than someone that you love so you can see that your statement is not completely strange, even though it's discutable

I was about to slaughter you for "gbagaun" till I checked it up to see that 'discutable' is a French word. Chei, I almost fell my hand cheesy

sexkillz:

[size=14pt]^^^
You dumped me. . .[/size]

I can't say sorry grin
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nayah(f): 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2011
Deep Soul:

I was about to slaughter you for "gbagaun" till I checked it up to see that 'discutable' is a French word. Chei, I almost fell my hand cheesy

I can't say sorry grin

Good morning Deep Soul yes un peu de français ça fait pas de mal!!! wink a bit french doesn't hurt
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by emmatok(m): 1:41pm On Nov 15, 2011
Marrying For Love Is totally  Wrong.

Because love is illusion and fantasies.

Never notice our parents shouting  i love you here and there yet their marriage last longer.

But today every couple claim to love , but they don't tolerate and understand each other.

Marriage is about tolerance and understanding.
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^^
Deep Soul:

I can't say sorry  grin

[size=14pt]I'll report you to your Pastor. . .[/size] grin
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 15, 2011
Never notice our parents shouting [b] i love you [/b]here and there yet their marriage last longer.

[size=14pt]Na wa oh! So you parents tell you everything going on behind closed doors?

Odikwa Egwu. . .
[/size]
Re: Marrying For Love Is Wrong by freecocoa(f): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2011
emmatok:

Marrying For Love Is totally  Wrong.

Because love is illusion and fantasies.

Never notice our parents shouting  i love you here and there yet their marriage last longer.

But today every couple claim to love , but they don't tolerate and understand each other.

Marriage is about tolerance and understanding.

That your parent doesn't say I love you to each other doesn't mean others don't.

So you pick just anyone and start tolerating and understanding her without feeling anything for her.that's hmmm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Strange Things That Turn You On! / . / 9 Ladies Share Their Cr@zy One-night Stand Experiences ;thread �

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.