Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? (33171 Views)

University Of Ibadan 2014/15 Admission Process.... / Is University Education Overrated? / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by buzugee(m): 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2011
dayokanu:

GBAGAUN GBAGAUN GBAGAUN !!!!!!!

ECOMOG soldiers are around

Who taught you in Covenant? You need to ask for a refund or was that from FREE dictionary too

Bros can you pls enlist in the military? The Taliban stands no chance around you

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin see this drunk man. i fail to see the shelling i just committed. LOL
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by badmussy(m): 6:11pm On Nov 15, 2011
Very Interesting Post.

I graduated from CU a few years ago. Thereafter, i went to UI for a PG.

I have experience from both.

UI's rep is on past glory. Sorry but truth. Most lecturers there are just collecting salaries from government. When we resumed in the dept. out of 16 weeks coursework, all the lecturers were away for 7 weeks. Before the started coming in sparingly. They were all back by the 11th week. Sorry, that can't happen in a private school. And i am sorry, but that was a shocking discovery for me.

The second salient point why i will say UI or most of the other federal unis as far from almighty is the quality of knowledge passed. During exams and we are to prep for exam, the same exams since 1996/97 set is still what is being set. As a matter of fact, we were being taught from the same notes.

Another is the PhD programme. It is more or less a battle programme where substance is relegated by popularity. If you are unfortunate that your supervisor is unpopular, forget it. I was once in the field report seminar for the Phd student, which is a must for the MSc students. A PhD candidate was thrown out for refering to the faculty as faculty of social sciences instead of faculty of the social science. This was embarrassing.

Others include hostels, poor internet areas, old Kenneth Dike, Old infrastructures in Lab, etc.
Not everything was poor. Roads are good, New Hall(PG) not bad.

For confidentiality purpose, i will say this dept is the most arrogant in the faculty of the social sciences.

My humble opinion is that many of us here that went to this govt unis don't want to admit, but the fact is this guys are so close. UI is an old institution and a new one of 9years shd not be compared with it but if they don't move on, it will be unarguable. It is more like comparing NITEL and MTN/Glo/Zain. Older is not necessarily better.

Let us forget the grads. Govt unis statistically can't say they produce better students. I have first hand information. Many of them tend to do exceptionally well in IQ tests. Why? I don't know. Like i said i graduated from there and i know they are not teaching them anything extra to pass such.

Many Profs of govt unis have their children in private unis. I knew abt 6 from UI when i was in school.

It is painful, but it is the truth. Govt Unis esp Fed Unis have nothing but brags.

I hope i make sense to the few rational minds out there.

Ciao!

1 Like

Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by buzugee(m): 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2011
quite typical of a federal uni person to equate typo with shelling grin

1 Like

Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2011
buzugee:

i think you have had enough of that burukutu because you are obviously mistaken a federal vato for a [size=28pt]convenant[/size] vato. try some peppersoup. it will clear your face small.

Bros. You can speak Pidgin cos my Computer cant process all these rockets
buzugee:

grin grin see this drunk man.  i fail to see the shelling i just committed. LOL

"AXE" your teachers to show you the shelling.  grin grin grin

Oh I forgot the lecturers are NCE graduates, they have to wait till UI is on vacation for real professors to come over before you can see learned tutors
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 15, 2011
The state of education in Nigeria is generally at its low ebb. You just need to be in US to see what a vibrant education system should look like or be like. That does not mean we can not rank the ones we have.

For now, it is silly and does not make any rational sense to compare UI and any private university for that matter in the country. Three key factors make a university:
1. The quality of student (think about it this way, it's highly unlikely for a student whose academic muscle is weak to make it to Harvard). In terms of quality of students, many guys in private schools are there because they obviously can not make it to public schools in Nigeria. In other countries, this may not be so, but in Nigeria, this is a pure fact.

2.The quality of Faculty (lecturer).
One of the key factors that led to present sorry state of education in the country is duplication of universities without adequate man power to back it up. When I was in UI, almost all my lecturers were teaching in other private universities and the feedback (may not be completely true) was that the rules were sometimes relaxed to enable students pass. CU, for now, do not have enough teachers not to talk of quality.

3. The quality of Infrastructure (facilities, etc). This is where  better funded schools like CU are catching up with Federal schools but it will propably take 2 decades or more if the present level of investment is sustained before we can say CU is at par with UI or OAU for that matter.

If you ask me, what about the future? The future belongs to the private universities. Better funding  and good infrastructure will attract good brains (lecturers). They will have to institute scholarships and fellowships as well to attract top students who do not have the money to attend such schools.

But for now, the two schools are still miles apart.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by buzugee(m): 6:20pm On Nov 15, 2011
badmussy:

Very Interesting Post.

UI's rep is on past glory. Sorry but truth. Most lecturers there are just collecting salaries from government. When we resumed in the dept. out of 16 weeks coursework, all the lecturers were away for 7 weeks. Before the started coming in sparingly. They were all back by the 11th week. Sorry, that can't happen in a private school. And i am sorry, but that was a shocking discovery for me.

The second salient point why i will say UI or most of the other federal unis as far from almighty is the quality of knowledge passed. During exams and we are to prep for exam, the same exams since 1996/97 set is still what is being set. As a matter of fact, we were being taught from the same notes.

Another is the PhD programme. It is more or less a battle programme where substance is relegated by popularity. If you are unfortunate that your supervisor is unpopular, forget it. I was once in the field report seminar for the Phd student, which is a must for the MSc students. A PhD candidate was thrown out for refering to the faculty as faculty of social sciences instead of faculty of the social science. This was embarrassing.

Others include hostels, poor internet areas, old Kenneth Dike, Old infrastructures in Lab, etc.

For confidentiality purpose, i will say this dept is the most arrogant in the faculty of the social sciences.

My humble opinion is that many of us here that went to this govt unis don't want to admit, but the fact is this guys are so close. UI is an old institution and a new one of 9years shd not be compared with it but if they don't move on, it will be unarguable. It is more like comparing NITEL and MTN/Glo/Zain. Older is not necessarily better.

Let us forget the grads. Govt unis statistically can't say they produce better students. I have first hand information. Many of them tend to do exceptionally well in IQ tests. Why? I don't know. Like i said i graduated from there and i know they are not teaching them anything extra to pass such.

Many Profs of govt unis have their children in private unis. I knew abt 6 from UI when i was in school.

It is painful, but it is the truth. Govt Unis esp Fed Unis have nothing but brags.

Ciao!

you make lots of sense. all that is left now is for the federal uni ruffians in this here thread to tuck their tails between their legs and skedaddle cuz you done spanked them hard with this here post. you lashed them thoroughly with this here post grin grin
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 15, 2011
bayooooooo:

1. The quality of student (think about it this way, it's highly unlikely for a student whose academic muscle is weak to make it to Harvard). In terms of quality of students, many guys in private schools are there because they obviously can not make it to public schools in Nigeria. In other countries, this may not be so, but in Nigeria, this is a pure fact.

Harvard is a private university.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by buzugee(m): 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Bros. You can speak Pidgin cos my Computer cant process all these rockets
"AXE" your teachers to show you the shelling.  grin grin grin

Oh I forgot the lecturers are NCE graduates, they have to wait till UI is on vacation for real professors to come over before you can see learned tutors
ahh another trait of federal uni hombres. 'myopia' and 'astigmatism'. go to the shop and get some carrots. its got beta carotene in it. good for blind folk like you  grin grin
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by badmussy(m): 6:26pm On Nov 15, 2011
Please point of note, I was top 40 in my class in CU on graduation and top 10 in my class in UI.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 15, 2011
all4naija:

Harvard is a private university.

I know because I am there. grin and UI is like Harvard of Nigeria for now.

Apart from Infrastructure (which is still in the making and is still nothing to write home about vis a vis where it should be), CU does  not have anything again. But like I said, if the present investment is sustained, don't be surprised to see CU leading the rest in like say 15yrs time.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Nov 15, 2011
badmussy:

Very Interesting Post.

Ciao!

Most of your points dont make sense at all, And I am sure you made a 2-1 from CU.

Those lecturers who send their kids to private schools do so because the kids couldn't pass UME

You also noticed that Federal unis students have better IQ than Private Uni that are a gathering of Ret-ards

Who are the lecturers in these private Universities? Those who were rejected in Federal unis

Dumb Students, Dumb Lecturers

Be honest, What did you score in UME, Was CU your first choice? What made you go to CU?

Tell me you werent ashamed to be in a secondary school called University located in Ota?

During NYSC, Most students from babcock were even ashamed to mention the names of their school.

Covenant University? Why not "God is Good" University, "Righteousness" University ?

Imagine those rubbish UME lesson centers turned to private Uni

Lead university, Ajayi Crowther University, Bowen University, "Madonna" University why not Shakira University or Beyonce university?

Another one Joseph Ayo babalola university? WTF Someone can just write his full name and add University to the end of it

Soon we would have "Beaf Gbawe Ajanlekoko" University
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 15, 2011
badmussy:

Please point of note, I was top 40 in my class in CU on graduation and top 10 in my class in UI.

It doesn't matter. Your first degree should have made you known better. More so, you are competing in a different class with different motivation. Something must have driven you to graduate school?
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2011
badmussy:

See the kind of graduates private Unis produce. And you would tell someone you are educated?

What does top 40 or top 10 mean?

An educated person or a properly educated person in a Federal uni would have said Top 40 out of 3000 student

So what does top 40 in a class of 45 tell us about you as against top 40 in a class of 5000?

So if your son says he was 3rd in a class of 3 people you would congratulate him?

You are still at the same level, I bet if you still take UME you cant pass to get into a federal Uni

What was your UME score i ask again?
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
dayokanu:

See the kind of graduates private Unis produce. And you would tell someone you are educated?

What does top 40 or top 10 mean?

An educated person or a properly educated person in a Federal uni would have said Top 40 out of 3000 student

So what does top 40 in a class of 45 tell us about you as against top 40 in a class of 5000?

So if your son says he was 3rd in a class of 3 people you would congratulate him?

You are still at the same level, I bet if you still take UME you cant pass to get into a federal Uni

What was your UME score i ask again?
I don't actually understand those lines of your comment.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^

So what does top 40 mean without the denominator.

That doesnt make sense
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^^
No! I still don't get it. Just try to explain it to me in a precised but simple English.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by oddy4real(m): 6:50pm On Nov 15, 2011
My parents value good education so much that they never allowed me attend those glorified second schools. $y father attended the great ife and my mum was in Unilag and today, they are masters in their fields.
I had 317 in Jamb and yet, I had problems gaining admission to UI(to show you the standard). My father insisted that its either I studied my law in ui or stay home for another year and that a private university was out of it.
Many of my mates who were rejected by ui had to run to skuls to Covenant and Last Chance University, oh sorry Lead City where substandard O level results were accepted as long as one had the money.
One also has to correct the impression of some of these spoilt kids that we attended public schools cos our parents are poor. My father is a successful Barrister and he can afford to send me to any Private varsity. Just stop comparing sleep to death
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 15, 2011
@dayokanu

No! I still don't get it. Just try to explain it to me in preciseness but simple English.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 15, 2011
Does it matter if u go to Ife, UI or Covenant, the important thing is for you to get a Job. A graduate is someone that has the ability to prove his degree.
Your university does not matter, Getting the job matters.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Gunzilla(m): 6:57pm On Nov 15, 2011
Ok,these are my two cents…theres an adage that says that even if a kid as many new clothes as an elderly person,he can’t have as many ragged clothes as an elderly person(ragged clothes equating wisdom).The fact is that from all I’ve heard,CU is a good school,but comparing it with UI is a bridge too far, In the next ten to twenty years I see the well run private universities surpassing the public ones, but not just yet.
The fact is that the way education is being run in Nigeria is very wrong.Nowhere in the modern world is education free,but Nigerians want to pay next to nothing for good education.How can you hope to maintain good infrastructure that students will enjoy without paying good money for it ? I attended UI(1 year),then OAU,Masters in SOAS UK,so I know a lil bit what I’m talking about.The quality of the lecturers they have over there (UK) are definitely not better.The difference is how easy they have made life to be for students in terms of e-mailing lecture notes to you before each class,sending you PDF notes for each course at the beginning of the semester.Will all these be possible if each student pays $500 ? Mos def not.
While the general standards of Schools like UI,Lag,Ife is undoubtedly high,the constant strikes by lecturers,Aluta by silly students,epilectic power supply is eroding the greatness of these schoold.Imagine that I took a day off from Lagos,to Ife to go get a letter of recommendation from my Faculty and after 3 hour drive, got there,luckily meeting the Dean in the office, he wrote the letter, gave his secretary to type and in the midst of all that,NEPA stuck and I was duly informed that I should pray that power is restored that day by 3 pm otherwise i would have to come the next day. Short story I slept in Ife that night.When I needed a letter in UK,all I did was e-mail the Registrar’s office and I got the letter in the mail 2 days later.
On getting to Ife in my first year,there was Aluta because hall dues were increased from N20 to N120,when Hall dues were N600 in my one year in UI.How can you hope to maintain a hall with over a thousand students if each one is paying N20 ? I mean,Seriously ??
When the new generation banks came in the early 90s, the old banks were scoffing at them, but who’s laughing now? The new generation unis will soon eclipse and surpass the old ones the way things are going, but not just yet.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Geds: 7:01pm On Nov 15, 2011
@op the fact that you've labelled all federal university students as people from poor families and have gone further to insult their parents by calling them lazy, shows you've had an education I do not envy, even if you studied at harvard.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 15, 2011
What type of Job? I beg to disagree! Education is not all about getting a job.  You don't even need to be educated to get a job.

kaydguru:

Does it matter if u go to Ife, UI or Covenant, the important thing is for you to get a Job. A graduate is someone that has the ability to prove his degree.
Your university does not matter, Getting the job matters.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 15, 2011
Gunzilla:

Ok,these are my two cents…theres an adage that says that even if a kid as many new clothes as an elderly person,he can’t have as many ragged clothes as an elderly person(ragged clothes equating wisdom).The fact is that from all I’ve heard,CU is a good school,but comparing it with UI is a bridge too far, In the next ten to twenty years I see the well run private universities surpassing the public ones, but not just yet.
The fact is that the way education is being run in Nigeria is very wrong.Nowhere in the modern world is education free,but Nigerians want to pay next to nothing for good education.How can you hope to maintain good infrastructure that students will enjoy without paying good money for it ? I attended UI(1 year),then OAU,Masters in SOAS UK,so I know a lil bit what I’m talking about.The quality of the lecturers they have over there (UK) are definitely not better.The difference is how easy they have made life to be for students in terms of e-mailing lecture notes to you before each class,sending you PDF notes for each course at the beginning of the semester.Will all these be possible if each student pays $500 ? Mos def not.
While the general standards of Schools like UI,Lag,Ife is undoubtedly high,the constant strikes by lecturers,Aluta by silly students,epilectic power supply is eroding the greatness of these schoold.Imagine that I took a day off from Lagos,to Ife to go get a letter of recommendation from my Faculty and after 3 hour drive, got there,luckily meeting the Dean in the office, he wrote the letter, gave his secretary to type and in the midst of all that,NEPA stuck and I was duly informed that I should pray that power is restored that day by 3 pm otherwise i would have to come the next day. Short story I slept in Ife that night.When I needed a letter in UK,all I did was e-mail the Registrar’s office and I got the letter in the mail 2 days later.
On getting to Ife in my first year,there was Aluta because hall dues were increased from N20 to N120,when Hall dues were N600 in my one year in UI.How can you hope to maintain a hall with over a thousand students if each one is paying N20 ? I mean,Seriously ??
When the new generation banks came in the early 90s, the old banks were scoffing at them, but who’s laughing now? The new generation unis will soon eclipse and surpass the old ones the way things are going, but not just yet.

Your post makes a lot of sense. Public schools should be allowed to charge tuition fees in Nigeria. But government should also put a scheme in place such that bright students are not left out just because they can't afford such fees.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 15, 2011
^^^
I disagree with you on that one, because, Nigeria is a very poor country where those below poverty line is likely to be above 70%. I think it is rational to provide student benefits and loans to help in giving better education for the masses. A country with huge oil and gas deposits or reserves should be able to provide the necessary things needed by those universities. Though, two diverging views but the right things to do and most expedient.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 15, 2011
What type of Job? I beg to disagree! Education is not all about getting a job.  You don't even need to be educated to get a job.

Earning a good salary. within 1yr , i could buy a car and live in lekki without any debt. I  now own my own business.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 15, 2011

Earning a good salary. within 1yr , i could buy a car and live in lekki without any debt. I  now own my own business.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2011
Graduate job
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by rman: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2011
Geds:

@op the fact that you've labelled all federal university students as people from poor families and have gone further to insult their parents by calling them lazy, shows you've had an education I do not envy, even if you studied at Harvard.
[color=#000099][/color]

I read all the pages before I saw your response. This is best reply to the OP so far. In his effort to make his school look good, he made people with deep thoughts realise his education in CU is a complete waste to the society. His kind of attitude shows he has nothing to offer and he definitely won't make a good leader.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 15, 2011
I understand your concern but still education is not for everybody especially at tertiary level. A good university can not run on government's charity alone. I have a proposition: allow universities to charge fees and do not put a cap on it. if they like let them charge 1m naira. Make it a law that each university must offer full scholarships to the  top 5-10% of admitted students irrespective of financial need (i.e whether rich or poor). Then Government can come in and offer scholarships (based on competition to another say 5-10 percents of the rest). That means Government paying universities for some good students.

Then you as a candidate must target two categories of scholarships-the automatic one when you are among the very best and the other where you have to be competitive to be considered.

What about the rest? You have to pay for your education because you have not shown enough promise why state or university should pay for you.
Remember, tertiary education is not meant for everybody.

all4naija:

^^^
I disagree with you on that one, because, Nigeria is a very poor country where those below poverty line is likely to be above 70%. I think it is rational to provide student benefits and loans to help in giving better education for the masses. A country with huge oil and gas deposits or reserves should be able to provide the necessary things needed by those universities. Though, two diverging views but the right things to do and most expedient.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 15, 2011
Usually I wait till the end of a post before I post a reply, but to this one I think just the first page will do.U cannot in anyway compare UI or Unilag or OAU etc to. Convenant. It jst doesn't make sense, I am a grad of UNILAG Civil and Environmental Engineering, U see in UNILAG we lived life, We studied hard, the lecturers don't send u, We hustle thru it all, Typical naija life, Boys became Men, Ladies became Women, we grew up, we partied, we had fun, We mixed with very rich, we mixed with the very poor, We learnt that life is not a bed of roses, We failed, We retook the courses, The competition to get in was stiff, only D̶̲̥̅̊ best of the best made it in, and only those dat were favored by God made it out, U are on ur own, No restrictions no boundaries, U av to use ur head for the best for yourself, Now If u got such an experience in convenant.I dnt think so, I av met many of my friends who finished from convenant and I av come to realize that they're nuffin both advanced teenagers and not yet Adults, Life is not a bed of roses, especially when the roses are in naija,
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
kaydguru:

I dey feel you bro! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by lucarella: 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2011
Are you kidding me?? UI that dead school?? Has UI ever had all courses accredited by d NUC without exception?? Does UI produce the condusive environment for learning? Nonsense!!
And all y'all talkin about the hustle and how intelligent your students are should have his head examined again. mschewwww!! u guys r high! When I was on I.T, in Oceanic bank dat tym where i worked, The manager of the bank was only concerned about employing Covenant University students.
Bottomline, u pple from federal universities are always taken as potential criminals in the eye of the employer. (No offense to the true diligent students). Neva compare Covenant to UI again! NEVA!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

We ARE In 300level But We Have Not Seen Any Of Our Results / Statistics for WAEC 2014 / Ishaq Oloyede Resumes As JAMB Registrar; See How He Was Received (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.