Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World (31133 Views)

DNA Centre Sheds Light On Child Paternity Fraud In Nigeria / Paternity Fraud At Its Peak! / Nigeria Ranks 2nd Highest In Paternity Fraud In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Hamilton1(m): 1:14am On Mar 25
Adeneeyee84:
As am typing here on Nairaland forum, One yahoo boy is nurturing an innocent Boy that doesn't belong to him in my compound.
E be like say na you get the boy?? grin
How you take know grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Berankis: 1:15am On Mar 25
[quote author=chopnaira post=129089670][/quote]
All these road side statisticians. Where is America here. How can Nigeria be 2nd here? I believe this is absolutely unfounded, if not, they should establish how they collated their data or conducted their research.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by amaridigital(m): 1:22am On Mar 25
Osidazz19:
A vast majority of Nigerian women just like the men are fraudsters with no ethics or morality but they expect their leaders to be upright and ethical. Keep clowning grin grin grin grin.

The fake preachers parading themselves as men of god or men of gold in Nigeria no try at all. Upon all these churches our women are as unfaithful and corrupt as the men. Unfortunately these dishonest women are expected to raise honest and Angelic political leaders of tomorrow? We've lost it all. Our values, identity, Africanism, tradition, everything. Shame! National Orientation Agency needs to censor some of these useless movies, music and other media that encourage moral decadence in our society. Imagine if these women were given more opportunity to lead, Abacha will be learning from them. How can someone be so heartless staying with a man who feed and provide for you each day for decades calling him daddy junior while you are laughing him at his back for raising your bastard kids. Wickedness.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by faceland: 2:07am On Mar 25
Jamaica I can understand because they live a very careless lifestyle, but why is Nigeria number two? Why are women not only unfaithful but having unprotected sex and presenting the bastards to their husband?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by faceland: 2:14am On Mar 25
Caspry5:
As a man, quietly carry out dna test for your kids. Dont assume she cant do that to you. The only person you can really vouch for is yourself. If the child doesn't resemble you or any trait of yours, don't assume it's from her family's side make them nor carry you handicap home and away grin cheesy

If the statistic is true, then at least one in five Nigerian is a bastard.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On Mar 25
faceland:
If the statistic is true, then at least one in five Nigerian is a bastard.
Under Customary Law in Nigeria, every child born during a marriage is presumed to belong to the man. So, as long as that marriage is in continuance, every child born belongs to the man. Now, if the man does not wish to father a bastard and all that, then he should altogether avoid customary Law unions. Otherwise, he is not a victim but one who accepted a marriage agreement that allows him polygamy while at the same time allowing the woman to bring into the marriage even children fathered by other men. grin

So, technically, Paternity fraud can only be argued in the case that the marriage union was made under statutory marriage laws and we know that a majority of Nigerians marry instead under customary laws. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by HaneefahRN(f): 3:49am On Mar 25
Who did the research? How many people do DNA tests in Naija to the extent of drawing such conclusion? The people who believe this bullocks are probably the bastards.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by travelzcruix: 3:57am On Mar 25
Say No to fornication.
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Mar 25
amaridigital:
The fake preachers parading themselves as men of god or men of gold in Nigeria no try at all. Upon all these churches our women are as unfaithful and corrupt as the men. Unfortunately these dishonest women are expected to raise honest and Angelic political leaders of tomorrow? We've lost it all. Our values, identity, Africanism, tradition, everything. Shame! National Orientation Agency needs to censor some of these useless movies, music and other media that encourage moral decadence in our society. Imagine if these women were given more opportunity to lead, Abacha will be learning from them. How can someone be so heartless staying with a man who feed and provide for you each day for decades calling him daddy junior while you are laughing him at his back for raising your bastard kids. Wickedness.
Balderdash! The only wickedness here is this attempt to suddenly demonize that which was not only allowed by your forefathers but equally embraced by most Nigerians.(The majority of Nigerians to this day marry under Customary Marriage Laws in Nigeria.) Under Customary Law in Nigeria, every child born during a marriage is presumed to belong to the man. So, as long as that marriage is in continuance, every child born belongs to the man. undecided

If a man does not wish to father and be burdened with a child from outside and all that, then he should altogether avoid customary Law unions. Otherwise, he cannot claim to be a victim but one who accepted a marriage agreement that allows him polygamy while at the same time allowing the woman to bring into the marriage even children fathered by other men. grin
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by hansomb: 4:48am On Mar 25
Gajagojo:

What social.problem does it cause
Christianity and Islam are just cultures
There are other cultures that don't care
As long as the woman is married to a man the children are his
At the tribal.level of evolution
Children were a source of Labour and soldiers
So in such circumstances children were an asset and a.man would even marry a pregnant woman
Many people have very little knowledge of history,anthropology and so on
Yes today children are more of a liability to a man but in the past they were farmhands and soldiers . That is how clans were built
Even today there are Nigerian tribes where the men marry pregnant women with full chest
As.long as they pay the bride price the man owns the children
So leave that Christian Islam crap
Pikin na pikin
I pray you father a son not yours since that's okay by your ancestors.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 5:05am On Mar 25
hansomb:
■ I pray you father a son not yours since that's okay by your ancestors.
What he said right there is the ancestral fact. So long as you embrace the marriage laws created by your ancestors— customary marriage laws—, you are pretty much saying that there is no such thing as paternity fraud in marriage. undecided

Equally, declaring a country like Nigeria has the 2nd highest paternity fraud cases(assuming this is supposedly based on police reports) when the vast majority of Nigerians embrace customary marriage laws that do not recognize paternity fraud at all, is definitely of error. Any paternity fraud caused in the customary courts will be thrown out because the customary court does not recognize it as such— fraud. undecided
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Gajagojo: 5:18am On Mar 25
hansomb:

I pray you father a son not yours since that's okay by your ancestors.
C
what makes you think I am your age mate and I have not done so already
Many of you are illiterate and unnecessarily sentimental
Is that statement supposed to make me feel some kind of way?
So what if I father a son that is not mine? The important thing is to father him well to be useful to society

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Gajagojo: 5:21am On Mar 25
AreaFada2:
p
No researcher in USA can tell you exactly how many tests were done in USA last year. That figure won't be ready. Much less in 9ja.

How does not having exact figure invalidate results published by researchers in 9ja? I don't do my work in 9ja.

You did have the figures across the places you were comparing before disputing the results for 9ja? shocked shocked
Why not?
Because you say so
On what basis do you say that?
No one asked you for EXACTLY HOW MANY
So don't try to be clever by half

No one asked you about USA
So why talking about USA

About 300000 tests are done annually in the USA for paternity exclusion

On what. basis then is the statement of capacity for 1 million in Nigeria tests made
Many of you just make empty pronouncements as if you are God and as if your pronouncements become reality the moment you make them

The simple reality is paternity tests are not random they are done because there is already a suspicion
So the sample cannot be used to make any statement about the population in general
If you go and test for gonorrhea among prostitutes you likely will get higher rates than the wider population

Nigeria does not have the capacity for 1 million tests because the demand simply is not there
That kind of money is not available in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by immortalcrown(m): 5:28am On Mar 25
Kobojunkie:
Criminalized for what reason or purpose? undecided Your ancestors saw good reason to allow men polygamy while allowing women free range guarantee as far as the paternity of any child born within the same marriage. Yes, Customary marriage laws allow for both in marriage so you cannot hold on to it while at the same claiming to be a victim of that which it allows. undecided
The customary marriage law does not allow the one that happens without the man's consent except the man is dead. Stop saying what you don't know.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by CHAQUR: 5:31am On Mar 25
Give it to our Nigeria women. Reason Nigerian men often find peace marrying foreigners.
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 5:34am On Mar 25
immortalcrown:
∆ The customary marriage law does not allow the one that happens without the man's consent except the man is dead. Stop saying what you don't know.
The law does not stipulate the man's permission is required before a child born during the marriage can be presumed his. Same way the law does not require the man seek his wife's permission before he can marry another woman same way a woman does not require the man's permission in this. undecided
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by immortalcrown(m): 5:37am On Mar 25
Kobojunkie:
The law does not stipulate the man's is necessary before a child born during the marriage can be presumed his. Same way the law does not require the man seek his wife's permission before he can marry another woman same way a woman does not require the man's permission in this. undecided
You are just catching cruise. On what ground do you compare paternity fraud to polygamy?

How is a man having many wives same as a woman lying about who impregnated her?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 5:48am On Mar 25
immortalcrown:
∆ You are just catching cruise. On what ground do you compare paternity fraud to polygamy?
How is a man having many wives same as a woman lying about who impregnated her?
I am not cruising anywhere and yes, it is fact that Customary marriage law stipulates that all children born during the marriage belong to the man. That is part and parcel of the customary marriage agreement in Nigeria. If you do not like that, you have the option of statutory marriage where you can customize your agreement anyway you like. It is simple as that.
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by immortalcrown(m): 5:52am On Mar 25
Kobojunkie:
I am not cruising anywhere and yes, it is fact that Customary marriage law stipulates that all children born during the marriage belong to the man. That is part and parcel of the customary marriage agreement in Nigeria. If you do not like that, you have the option of statutory marriage where you can customize your agreement anyway you like. It is simple as that.
That law works with the husband's consent, unlike paternity fraud that happens without his knowledge and consent. The difference is clear. That law permits a man to reject her wife's child if he knows the wife got the pregnancy from another man.

You are just catching cruise.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by hansomb: 5:55am On Mar 25
Gajagojo:

C
what makes you think I am your age mate and I have not done so already
Many of you are illiterate and unnecessarily sentimental
Is that statement supposed to make me feel some kind of way?
So what if I father a son that is not mine? The important thing is to father him well to be useful to society
My guess is right then. You being impotent to allow your wife to birth a child that not your is your personal choice and should not be made to look normal for other people to adopt. People defend what they're, good or bad. Alaye, forget age matter, that your personal problem, We all matured humans and that's what matters. You don't know me , I don't know you, physically. Can you define what you mean by being illiterate? I think you being ignorant and selfish to say so.
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On Mar 25
immortalcrown:
∆ That law works with the husband's consent, unlike paternity fraud that happens without his knowledge and consent. The difference is clear. You are just catching cruise.
Stop lying to yourself! You appear silly doing so. undecided
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by immortalcrown(m): 5:58am On Mar 25
Kobojunkie:
Stop lying to yourself! You appear silly doing so. undecided
Continue to catch cruise, don't stop.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by hansomb: 6:00am On Mar 25
Kobojunkie:
What he said right there is the ancestral fact. So long as you embrace the marriage laws created by your ancestors— customary marriage laws—, you are pretty much saying that there is no such thing as paternity fraud in marriage. undecided

Equally, declaring a country like Nigeria has the 2nd highest paternity fraud cases(assuming this is supposedly based on police reports) when the vast majority of Nigerians embrace customary marriage laws that do not recognize paternity fraud at all, is definitely of error. Any paternity fraud caused in the customary courts will be thrown out because the customary court does not recognize it as such— fraud. undecided
You sounded like a victim of paternity fraud 🤥. Either directly or indirectly. Else, reasons why you are defending such.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Kobojunkie: 6:02am On Mar 25
hansomb:
∆ You sounded like a victim of paternity fraud 🤥. Either directly or indirectly. Else, reasons why you are defending such.
Defending? The law is there for every citizen to uphold and defend. If I uphold/defend the law only when it benefits me, would I be any better than a criminal or say one of your many dubious politicians? undecided

Customary marriage laws are meant to be respected as a whole --- you don't pick only the aspects that benefit you, deny the rest, and then claim you abide by the very same law. Either embrace the whole or abandon it entirely and opt for the alternative. undecided
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by StraightGaay: 6:05am On Mar 25
Questionnaires:

Lol.... Just Send Your Address; Make We Use Your Data And Your Phone Cross-Check Am Out.

We Go Know!

No be for Convoy To Fly Down To Your Location ?
Still him no resemble am
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Gajagojo: 6:23am On Mar 25
hansomb:

My guess is right then. You being impotent to allow your wife to birth a child that not your is your personal choice and should not be made to look normal for other people to adopt. People defend what they're, good or bad. Alaye, forget age matter, that your personal problem, We all matured humans and that's what matters. You don't know me , I don't know you, physically. Can you define what you mean by being illiterate? I think you being ignorant and selfish to say so.
You need to read stuff and comprehend before reacting
Clearly you did not so you are illiterate
You just quoted me out of context and started talking nonsense
Yes you are an illiterate

Calling me impotent is a confirmation that you were made to feel small and need to lash out to compensate for those feelings
You are indeed small
A.man can either impregnate his wife or get one of his people to do it for him
That is established tribal practice around the world .Even the Hebrews practised something like that before they got Moses law
Nowhere did I support deception by women. If it is to happen the man should make the choice
So it is clear You are an ignorant insolent illiterate

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by guywitzerogal(m): 6:24am On Mar 25
socialmediaman:
Research shows that Nigerian women are the most unfaithful women in the world, period!

Don’t come on my mention asking about Nigerian men. If you have data that suggests that, let’s see it cool

what data are those Women sleeping with there self is it not men too that is sleeping with them, mostly married men
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Judolisco(m): 6:29am On Mar 25
kkins25:

Them tell you say na school presentation?
if it's not an academic presentation then na assumption
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by WithX(m): 6:34am On Mar 25
Judolisco:
I'll only respond to your last paragraph, even if I see jst one journal or research paper published on perternity fraud conducted by a Nigerian, why I go dey argue since morning... Na d research I dey ask for since, but eno dey, even if e dey then you have to conduct similar or compare your findings with other research done in other countries to come to dis conclusion .... See dis type of stuff ino even need to browse before I know it's false.... It's like saying [b]30% of Nigerians owned a private jet [/b]or its like saying Nigerian aviation sector has launched a rocket to the moon 30 times.... U see how outrageous dis last two statements sounds arbi? You'll need something comprehensive like a National survey to get accurate data and results, then you'll have to compare it with other countries result

Or alternatively you will need a woman studying in a foreign school present it as fact on a projector with no need for source grin
I believe our brother will not dispute that fact too because we all know Davido, Oyedepo and many Nigerians owned more than 1 private jets grin

How on earth did she even come about that figure 30% shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by 2badForReal: 6:48am On Mar 25
Hmmm, if you have not conducted DNA test on yourself and you dont have a striking resemblance of your father please dont comment on this topic, 30% is way too high for one country, you cant be commenting here when you are busy addressing someone as your father when he is not.
Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by Adeneeyee84: 6:58am On Mar 25
Hamilton1:

E be like say na you get the boy?? grin
How you take know grin
The wife of the yahoo boy confided in her friend and tell her exactly what happen between them..... Abeg fear women oooo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World by othermen: 7:21am On Mar 25
Nairaland dey behave as irresponsible as dem fit. The quality of post wey dey for di forum na just disappointing.

So, I fit just buy projector, set am up for my room, type some data for PowerPoint, project am - snap am, come talk say na fact. Dat one na rubbish. Dem no dey care about my methodology or how I take get di information wey dey for di screen.

Di individual admin for di forum dey interested for clicks, and e no concern dem whether di claim dey verifiable or not.

Di information wey dey for di screen fit no be exactly finding, e fit be inference from literature review. Di presentation na di opportunity for the person to discuss am. So, make we first assume say na from literature, somebody fit don do research on paternal discrepancy for one Nigerian tertiary hospital and di result fit be say anytime wey there be dispute, 3 out of 10 come out to be validated by paternity tests like DNA.

Now, e no fit be impossible to take dis study and put am for one slide come talk say Nigeria get 30% paternity fraud. Dis no mean say 30% of Nigerian fathers no be di rightful fathers of their children. No bi evryone wey dey university, wey dey use computer be ogbonge for research.

But make we even assume say di claim na say 30% of Nigerian fathers no be di rightful fathers of their children. So, wetin fit be di methodology and di issue wey fi dey with di methodology?

Shey You really need to get data on every DNA test wey dem do for di country to get credible result Or you fit just do sampling for some DNA test centers? For research, the two dey acceptable.

Di methodology fit be observational study for family courts across di country or review of court records to understand di outcome of paternity fraud.

And so di result fit be di outcome of paternity fraud for each of di court cases. But, how many court cases dey there? Dis methodology logic still apply to analysis of DNA testing records. You go check di number of DNA tests wey dem don conclude and di percentage wey confirm or refute paternity.

But e get to dey global, to make claim say one country get di highest for di world, because di claim dey relative to other nations.

Now, to generalize about di prevalence of paternity fraud for Nigeria based on data from court cases or DNA testing, I fit guess, go likely inaccurately represent di population. How many Nigerians get access to legal recourse or DNA testing? All dis dey skew di data. Even if many people get access to legal recourse or DNA testing, still fit get sampling bias - wey fit lead to overestimation or underestimation of paternity fraud rate.

I don tire, so make I comot. Nairaland no dey try at all, dem just dey make the users of di platform dey more dull. Dey dey actual research wey dem fit project and bring attention to - instead, dem wan paint di country as morally slack and dey full of adultery. Na why one admin go bring dis lazy post to di forum without any context.

Shior!!!

So di claim say Nigeria get 30% paternity fraud na from dis news article. https://punchng.com/paternity-fraud-shocking-revelations-as-more-couples-embrace-dna-testing/?amp

For dat article, Smart DNA, one DNA testing and diagnostic center for Lagos, report say 25% of di people wey visit dia clinic turn out no be di biological father of their children.Similarly, di article tok say Nigerian Institute of Medical Research also do one study and dem indicate say 27% of paternity tests wey dem conduct for Lagos show cases of paternity fraud. (I don find the research sotey, I don tire, fit be sat na Aba made research) the article mention another DNA center wey dey do paternity test for Test, 60% of those wey come for di tests show paternity fraud.

Di 30% claim dey alluded to for dis post dey for the article, but dem no mention di clinic. Di claim say Nigeria get di second highest rate of paternity fraud for di world na Synlab talk am, and dem make bold claim say 40% of Nigerian men no be di biological fathers of their children and say 60% of paternity tests for di country confirm paternity fraud.

All join, dey bin talk say your mama na agaracha. And make your papa bring akpalakpala con get paper to disown you. No money Dey den find.

So, beyond di news article, I search online so I fit see di methodology for some of di claims to assess how valid dem be, but e dey disappointing. If you go to Synlab website, you go see di claim, but dem no provide any support or reference to di claim.

Di laboratory dey involved for doing DNA tests and so dem get interest to make di public get need to come for di test and so dem fit dey exaggerate di figures. Also, dia claim fit dey based on those wey dey come for paternity test for dia laboratory but e dey reckless to use dat as basis for di whole country. Because, for one particular laboratory, out of di 10 people wey come for DNA test, we see paternity fraud for 3 cases, so e must be so all over Nigeria

If for one teaching hospital, dem collect sample of pikin papa and then dem do di DNA analysis, and find say there dey significance for paternity fraud, then dat umbrella go cover more. But those wey don dey go do DNA, already get kasala and doubt, so di outcome of dia disputes or suspicions go affect di result for one certain way wey go make di likelihood increase. But if you do am for every random person, you go realize say di level of paternity fraud go dey significantly lower.

Di presenter for di slide fit don dey hint dis news report wey be say na DNA centers dey find market for dia tests, also dia claims no be fact and e no fit be generalized.

Shior!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Man In South Africa Surprised His Wife With New Toyota Venza For Val / Lady Laments As Late Husband's Family Members Abscond With ₦20 Million (Video) / What's It Like To Have Your Wife/husband Cheat On You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.