Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65690 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 11:47am On Apr 01
Bankowner:

There is dignity in labour inasmuch as you do what you're supposed to do and as long as it fetches you your daily bread.

I remember my advice to you then, if a 69 year old can still be a janitor, what is the big deal? I work two jobs now, one full-time and the other relief. It was a rough start but now, I am consolidating. Continue to push, look at your schedule and see what more you can accommodate to make more money. But importantly, self care is key. If I am not on a rotation and did not take a shift at my other job, I am in my house resting. I now have a car to make my commute easy, it beats taking the transit system by miles although it comes with it's own cost. But that is the reason I have the relief job, it covers insurance and gas and still leaves a few dollars for groceries.

Abeg! Don't bite more than you chew. One step at a time, and you'll get there. This is not the time to start looking for friends and business partners from anywhere in the world, face your job and keep your money well. There are wolves out there. I wish you and your family the best.

Thanks bro. I'm currently on it.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Streetdoctor: 11:49am On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
that dude isn't telling the truth truth me...he wants validation ..give it to him
Why dis topic dey pain u abeg? U seems to be one sadist human being
Whether bros dey lie or not should not be ur headach but u just carry dis matter like say d bros steal ur future

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VULCAN(m): 11:50am On Apr 01
The person you are talking to hasn't travelled abroad before.

And by abroad, I'm referring to First World countries.

Otherwise he would have seen and experienced all these things you are mentioning.

chidi4sam:

LOL. You guys don't know how it works here. Who told you he can't get back to his accounting profession? He needs to get life started before securing his career. If you are washing plate here, you don't wash with your hands. All you do is put all dirty plates into the dish washer, set the timer and go sit down. When it is done, you unload the dish washer. That's all. Same this applies to refuse dumping. You don't touch any thing with your hands. You do more of monitoring than manual handling. I work in the disability sector where I have gained a lot of experience using modern equipments to do various form of jobs without touching the person. What you don't know is bigger than you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by donogaga(m): 11:51am On Apr 01
VAPatrick:

Just a quick clarification. There are no menial jobs in developed countries. Every job you do is valued and oyibo will never look down on you based on the job you do. For this reason, a manager in Naija will not have any problem taking up a cleaner job. Besides, there is no huge disparity in pay like we have in Nigeria. Unlike Naija companies where managers earn hundreds of thousands and cleaners 15K, here if I work as a cleaner and earn $2k monthly, a manager in my company can’t earn more than 4K. He will pay more tax than me and will not enjoy some benefits I get as a low income earner. If you’ve been to a developed country then you’ll understand how shitty Nigeria is.

Spot on.

I can attest to this.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by MT: 11:53am On Apr 01
Olympuse:

But you will agree with me that there are some areas of tech that AI is gradually taking over like web development and graphics design. Have you heard of Devin AI? I know AI can't organize interviews but since it makes work easier why would companies spend much money on recruiting juniors when a senior Dev can just do the work of two more devs.

Yes. AI affects tech but not like the other sectors. It is tech people that still build AI and maintain it.

Regarding the DEVIN AI, it is hyped. I have watched the video and read vastly about it.

The best that can happen to Devin is it will be another tool that developers will leverage on. If you are into codes, you will understand what I am saying.

Codes is not about knocking things together. It is about understanding the technical requirements , arrange it to align with global best practices to meet up with the use case. You can't just feed Devin AI the requirements and deploy the generated code into the production environment. A programmer will still type the requirements one by one into devin, read the generated codes, understand it, refactor it.

It will only make a developer to become lazier and more efficient as he does not need to generate the algorithm by himself.

No organisation will feed generated codes by Devin AI into the production environment. You are safer being in tech than any other profession.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Silentgroper(m): 11:54am On Apr 01
Olympuse:

As if that AI isn't coming for tech jobs too, infact they have started feeling it in the Tech world with the number layoffs and downsizing.
lol . Leave am .. na tech A. I go first flood before any other profession

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by MT: 11:56am On Apr 01
Silentgroper:
lol . Leave am .. na tech A. I go first flood before any other profession

I am sorry, you do not have technical depth.

Goggle how companies are looking for technical IT resource world wide. I get jobs more than I can handle.

Just google it.

Who builds AI?

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by IyaTola: 11:56am On Apr 01
Matheusmartin:
God bless you for sharing.
I'm 30. Plenty hope still dey.

Still not happy with the oversabi angel that sent me to Nigeria though.
We go settle scores when the time comes.. angry
Yes hope dey but be ready to spend, recall he was an accountant of a manufacturing plant and was doing over 1m plus in salaries not to mention soke process he would circumvent to gather more money.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Villa12(m): 11:58am On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:

At 48yrs that you were at the top of your accounting career earning good money in Nigeria, you spent millions to travel to Australia only to go and be learning forklifting and mental health and care giving job at 48yrs when you should be planning retirement

I know say ma your wife push you into this

I wish you luck sir ....they way it is you will work till your 70s! How do you guys even take such decision
his life is better than yours. You can be kidnap at any fvcking time where you live in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Streetdoctor: 11:58am On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
it is a slave mentality

He sold himself to be a slave
Bros take it easy on ur envy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by bitbillionaire: 12:01pm On Apr 01
Matheusmartin:

We go settle scores when the time comes
.. angry

Well, when you cross over to the world beyond, it might shock you to discover that no 'oversabi angel' sent you to Nigeria. You actually chose the country you were born into; you chose your parents and chose or create major circumstances of your life. Only that you just refuse to accept responsibility for your life and your choices

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Starzo: 12:01pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:

It's better to be a king in hell than a slave in heaven
Why you tiff my quote?

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Awakened38: 12:01pm On Apr 01
IbeOkehie:

Oga Gerrard is a gem. A very good man. A higher level of thinking. Except that one time he fell into the gutter because he was thinking of big breasts. He's forgiven though.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

πŸ˜‚
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by donogaga(m): 12:01pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
after all these...I still have someone that is in Australia for over 10 yrs ...the person seff is finding it hard to secure air ticket to come home with his family

How una dey take look some of us ...una think say we are daft ?

Three things are involved,

1, Either the person is lying to you or he doesn't want you to keep begging him for money.

2, Except the person is extremely lazy.

3, And any other reason.

Truth is, naija isn't worth it. Travel first, you will obviously see the difference.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Villa12(m): 12:01pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
the way una talk...[b]so destiny of those millions of kids in Nigeria [/b]aren't secured also he stand the chance of having his kids enter LGTBQ woke group and do drugs also
with those useless leaders that you guys elect every four years? The children are being kidnapped daily while some roam the streets on a daily basis Hawking and begging for alms before they could eat

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Drone95(m): 12:02pm On Apr 01
Matheusmartin:

We go settle scores when the time comes.. angry
you no go calmdown? Na only u?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by skultrick(m): 12:02pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

To be continued shortly .........

Congratulations sir on making it to Australia. Wishing you all the very best.

Please if may ask, how much did it cost to migrate only you to Australia. I’m looking to migrate too but will really appreciate first hand info on cost.

Another thing, I’m single. Do you think I will feel very lonely in Australia? Are there many black sisters in the country?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Villa12(m): 12:03pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
after all these...I still have someone that is in Australia for over 10 yrs ...the person seff is finding it hard to secure air ticket to come home with his family

How una dey take look some of us ...una think say we are daft ?
your imaginary person abi? grin

5 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Awakened38: 12:03pm On Apr 01
TNORWAY:
you always try to be smart but it's obvious you are not.......if I have this kind of mentality of yours, I would have unfollowed this thread long ago...... always looking for wetin no lost.

I see you've got it all figured out. shocked

Congratulations

Fall on your own sword
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 12:04pm On Apr 01
Rotji:

I'm closely your age mate, last year 2023 I strongly contemplated the move to Australia. A primary school classmate studying in UK posted a link on securing fully funded scholarship in Australia for Africans and I got interested, I did some research on what it would take, I discovered that IELST is necessary to actualize the dream so I started gathering materials for the exams. I even contacted a University in Adelaide and was told it wasn't yet time for admissions, I was told to contact some agents that will help with the admission process and all.

I started watching and downloading videos on YouTube about life in Australia and stuff, researching on other available options aside the fully funded scholarships.

In fact I have done a lot to get myself acquainted with life in Australia, but I have a wife and 3 kids and I've been pondering of late whether I should continue exploring the possibilities.

I have eyes only for Australia in terms of moving abroad. Please advise me, is the fully funded scholarship a good option for a family man or there are better options for people like me

I am not a Migration agent and may not be able to advice.

However, when I decided it is time I leave Nigeria with my family, I looked at my age and saw I have already passed 44.

My wife was much younger and I decided to send her while I stay back with the children.

So, if your wifey is younger than you, you may consider sending her. That I what some men I met here did.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by peleson1: 12:04pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

Who told you I started life afresh?

In Nigeria, I worked for a private company where you're treated like a slave and where people are sacked on daily basis.

I took the best decision to live Nigeria. Here, I am working. I am not begging.

My life here is even better than what it was back home in Nigeria.

You're shouting plan your retirement. Who told you I am not planning my retirement?

If I work here for the next 3 years, I will have a 3 story building of 8 flats somewhere in the East.

Can #2m net salary a month do that for me in Nigeria?

In Nigeria, my gross pay was about #1.3 million per month and my take home is #1.057m.

Here in Australia, despite the fact that I have not fully integrated into the system, I comfortably save 1,600 dollars per month out of the 4,000 dollars I make.

By the time I fully integrate into the system ( like getting Australian drivers license, there are jobs you cannot get without an Australian license) there is no way I won't earn more than that.

For your information, there is dignity of labour here. You don't talk down on people here.

I am not under any pressure. I didn't migrate at 48 to look for papers. Our papers are already coming this year through my wifey.

Sorry to ask u sir,
Was it ur wife that u immigrated with?
If yes, was it the express visa type or study route type.

Kindly hint me about ur immigration route so I can integrate that into my plan and because I'm consulting widely.

Warmest regards
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Olympuse: 12:05pm On Apr 01
MT:

Yes. AI affects tech but not like the other sectors. It is tech people that build AI and maintain it.

Regarding the DEVIN AI, it is hyped. I have watched the video and read vastly about it.

The best that can happen to Devin is it will be another tools that developers will leverage. If you are into codes, you will understand what I am saying.

Codes is not about knocking things together. It is about understanding the technical requirements , arrange it to align with global best practices. You cant feed devin AI the requirements. A programmer can type the requirements one by one into devin, read the generated codes, understand it, refactor it.

No organisation will feed generated codes by Devin AI into the production environment. You are safer being in tech than any other profession.
But you are yet to admit my assertion that AI has really put a dent on the Tech bubble of post covid period and it's about to burst. And coupled with the fact that the competition out there is fierce. It's getting tougher

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by vandykeoo7(m): 12:06pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

Brother please what kinds of job opportunities are readily available to intended New comers. I need to learn here before moving over to that place
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Evolutionism: 12:06pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

LOL. Be playing. Why do you go to work if not to make money and enjoy. He can save 4-5M monthly in Australia even after expenses as compared his total take home of less than 1M as an account in Nigeria.

And yes, Australian lifestyle makes you active even at old age. People of 90+ years and still driving and walking without assistance here because of their lifestyle. Someone in Nigeria is already too old for anything at 60.

Lastly, you stand a chance of securing the destiny of your children for ever by becomimg citizens in the nearest futher. The money he spent to relocate will be recovered in less than 6 months. Australia is not lousy like UK, Canada, US. Just relax, make your money and enjoy life.

In 2024, You are still arguing with Nigerian Lowlives lol.

I rate All Animals on earth above most Nigerians regardless of their social status.

To them it's just about the money, fvck and misplaced priorities. Beings who sees POVERTY and Wickedness as their birth right. There is nothing else in most black mens brain.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VULCAN(m): 12:08pm On Apr 01
You might have made a point if you didn't use suicide as the basis for your argument.

That was dumb as suicide is more prevalent in the First World than the Third.

If you don't know that then I already know you haven't travelled to the First World.

And if you haven't travelled to the First World, why are you on here attacking OP?

Go to Australia for six months and come back and tell us how terrible it is compared to Nigeria and we may listen to you.

But for now- we won't

Treadway:
just say a toilet cleaner in Aussie lived a better life than you did while you were in Nigeria. Personalise this inferiority complex abeg. Own it! Don't bring one mythical regional manager of zenith bank into this. Not everyone was evidently miserable like you while you were in Nigeria. I thank God everyday for the fact that I don't think so lowly like this. Jeez!

This stale line is so nauseating. A destitute in Aussie sef was living a better life than you were. We know, we get it.

All these peeps in Australia that sought to die by suicide were happy, fulfilled, ok and satisfied to death. Smh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by seborrhic: 12:08pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

I sent my wife here in December 2021.
The original plan was for the family to move together but on a second thought I said no.

She worked really hard and I supported her the much I can from Nigeria.

It was much easier for me because I had my partner here already.
Ok.
Makes more sense.
You didn't state all these in your first post,not until posters started digging some holes and doubting some aspects of the story.
The way you initially made it sound,you entered Australia late Dec and in 3 months you already had shelter,had time to take several artisan courses,your kids already in school,then aside from working,you already saving.
It's always important to lay out the whole picture,so that aside from not creating doubts in some people as to the authenticity of a story,it would not also make some other people with intent of travelling to feel it was the straightforward,almost magical way you made it sound

6 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by diamond68: 12:10pm On Apr 01
So you are in your father land at 48 a well established big man, oga pata pata, wey dey earn millions per month and now you are in a foreign land picking cartons in a warehouse ? Village people strong oooo πŸ™†πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ™†πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ™†πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ™†πŸ½β€β™‚οΈ
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by mascot345: 12:10pm On Apr 01
[quote author=AmuDimpka post=129170179]

At 48yrs that you were at the top of your accounting career earning good money in Nigeria, you spent millions to travel to Australia only to go and be learning forklifting and mental health and care giving job at 48yrs when you should be planning retirement

I know say ma your wife push you into this
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Jones4190(m): 12:13pm On Apr 01
99thEnemy:

Have you been opportune to fight any kangaroos ?

Jones4190 will be curious to know.
grin grin kangaroos can fight

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by eepeepook: 12:13pm On Apr 01
Good on you, brother. We’ll join you soon enough.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VULCAN(m): 12:13pm On Apr 01
Why did you use a governor who has access to the people's money as an example?

The least any governor takes as security vote is N10b a month.

That you can compare a thieving Nigerian governor to a person doing a blue collar job in the West is such a dumb comparison.

With such a mindset, you deserve to be ignored on here

Treadway:
dude

We know Aussie is better, there is no need to compare or even convince anyone of that

But while things are shitty o'er here and I do talk about the issues here very often (if you check my history), making the kinda of statement that I hear and read most Nigerians make when they leave these shores to other countries just is not a good look. I don't see even other Africans do this inferiority tirade BS, much less other races. What Australian will read this kinda crap and value or respect you?. And una dey blast Emdee Tiamiyu ooo. You basically are admitting to them ever so passionately and diligently that you are worthless without being there and living there is what gives your life meaning.. like wtf.

Let's package ourselves better abeg. No be to dey drive the hype like say we never see chandelier before. How you go dey talk online say cleaner for one place better pass a well read, accomplished person who rose to the ranks of a Regional manager at Zenith bank?? Does that make any kind of sense at all....and then still turn around to say life is not all about money..classic incoherence.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a good reference point, we have diff things that drive us, different things we aspire to, clearly....cos that statement just no make sense or senses....and it is not a good look abeg

A garbage disposal guy in Aussie, Canada, US and Youkay sef is better than a governor in Nigeria. Ment!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Evolutionism: 12:14pm On Apr 01
boringdraw:
You clearly missed the part he said he has more savings by month end, and a more quality life than when he was here.
His a first generation migrant, his children will be second generation, they will have it far much better and easier than him. Most people migrate for thier children.

Points to Consider when relocating
1. Net savings after tax and monthly expenses
2. Quality of life
3. Personal career prospect and that of other family members
4. Life in retirement.

Lol you are very funny.

What concerns an average Nigerian with Quality Life. Beings who breathe in and out black goo and redmud dusty Air coupled with extreme Hot Sun frying their empty brains, Eat low graded and dirty foods, Put on fake clothes with extreme pungent body odour.

Most of these Babooons haven't even heard the word before talkless of knowing what Quality Life is.

You are talking Quality Life with people who live in SLUMs. Even Victoria Island, Lekki, Abuja et all are Upgraded SLUMs.

The whole country is a Great SLUM.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply)

Tricycle Driver Gives His Keke Napep A Luxurious Design (Photo, Video) / I Need Directions Please. / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship)

Viewing this topic: Tonyferrad(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.